Bank of America

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Bank of America in March 2013.

Interview Details – first round interview with logic puzzles

Interview Question – got asked logic puzzles with recursive reasoning   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Buena Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bank of America in December 2012.

Interview Details – phone interview, one on one interview

Interview Question – what does customer service mean to you   Answer Question

Brea, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Bank of America in September 2009.

Interview Details – During the group interview process, make sure you're active and friendly. When interacting, say or do something that will make you outshine your opponents. They will ask plenty of questions about yourself and what you think about the company. When answering the questions, some how tie your past experience to the company and how it will benefit the company as a whole. They love personal experiences.

Interview Question – Tell me something that you had to overcome in your past and how it helped you today?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Bank of America in March 2010.

Interview Details – I applied for a job on the company's website0 and was contacted by a recruiter for a phone screening. We talked for about 15 minutes about the previous jobs I had and she explained that the job would entail taking inward phone calls and ervicing credit card customers account. I would be paid a base salary plus have the ability to earn commission from completing balance transfers and cross selling different products. The recruiter asked me to come in the next week for an interview.

I met with the recruiter and was asked to fill out various paperwork authorizing them to obtain a background check, credit report and so forth. I was given a form that asked me to indicate my schedule preference, it listed three schedules with different days and hours (each had a weekend requirement) and applicable shift differential (8%).

After about 40 minutes with the recruiter I was taken to the department I was interviewing for and met with a current sales associate. This person had been there for about 2 years and spent another 45 minutes with me discussing the job and letting me hear a few recorded calls. We talked about her experience with the bank and the kind of jobs she had before as well as my education and work experience. After meeting with this person I was taken to my interview (1.5 hrs after I had arrived)

The next person I met with was a team manager who seemed pressed for time and literally sat me down through a form interview. She asked me
"what do you know about the bank?"
"what makes you want to work for this company?"
"have you ever worked in a commission based environment?" (I had not)
"have you ever worked in a goal oriented environment?"

She then asked me the next questions by prefacing with "give specific examples"

"Tell me about a time you convinced someone to change products or services from what they were currently using"
"Tell me about a time when you were asked to work a different schedule or do a different job unexpectedly"
"Tell me why you want to be the best at what you do?"
"Tell me about a time you helped a coworker or manager"

After each answer she would take my example and ask "OK, assume now ('that this happened instead'), now how would you have responded differently. This bothered me during the interview bc I kept thinking my examples were not relevant. Once we finished a half dozen of these questions she asked me if I had any questions. I thought I was toast at this point.

She told me there was a third round to the interview and had me schedule a meeting for the next day with her boss.

This meeting was shorter - I was only there for about 30 minutes. I met with a unit manager who asked me questions like:
"so you mentioned you have never worked in a commission environment, how do you think you will do here?"
"you told (manager) that you convinced a customer to upgrade their cable package, why do you think you were successful at doing so?"
"Why did you decide it was worthwhile to convince them?"

All things said the process took about three hours and it was very clear that they hire in masses. After being offered the job (25K - the recruiter who extended the offer also told me that since there is an uncapped incentive they would entertain a negotiation) and I declined. The associate I met with told me that despite being an uncapped plan the best performers rarely exceed 1K in a month. My current base salary, without commission, is above this and even though its a huge company (pretty sure they arent going out of business but who knows ;-)) I need to find a gig that pays a bit more before making a move.

Who knows if they really do not negotiate - phone still hasnt rang since I declined, over a month now and the class started on 5/1

Interview Question – How do you feel about making commission, how do you think you will do your first year?   View Answer

Worked for Bank of America? Contribute to the Community!