Bank of America

Updated Nov 1, 2014

2.7

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bank of America.

Technical Interview:
- Fizz Buzz (looping 1 to 100 printing "fizz" if divisible by 3, "buzz" if divisible by 7, and "fizz buzz" if divisible by both)
- Inheritance (asked to write a class and then another that is similar to it, how would the two be related in my design? would they have a common parent or would one be the subclass of another?)
- What is a pipe in linux? How would you use |grep ?
- How does multithreading work? What is a mutex? What is deadlock?
- How would you design a database for this given situation (ER Diagram/Relational model)? Write a SQL query that would retrieve this information in your database design

Interview Questions
  • Threading/database questions would be difficult for someone that had not taken system programming and databases.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bank of America

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bank of America in January 2014.

Initial HR Phone interview followed by Technical Phone interview and Face to face.
    Technical interviews were standard web programming questions, with hiring manager, developer and senior manager. HR was very professional and did a good job with follow up and keeping me informed of status.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing terribly difficult of unexpected - questions were ad hoc based on where the conversation went. Asked to explain design of recent system worked on.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bank of America.

There are five one and one interviews in the final round. Each of them is 30 minutes. The questions are combined with both technical and behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are related to database and website application knowledge. They are not unexpected and I also think I answered them well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bank of America in February 2013.

Contacted by recruiter for open position, went to Newark a few weeks later for an in person interview. First met by HR rep whom explained what to expect working at BOA as well as benefits associated with the position. Next I was taken to three separate interviews, each lasting about 30 minutes. First was a "Cultural Interview" which I was asked a few behavioral questions, then a "Technical Interview" in which the hiring manager explained about the position in detail. Lastly was a "Whiteboard Session" in which you are asked to draw a high level design of a project you have recently worked on. Overall the interview went great, but the lack of communication after the interview was severe. I was first told that they had moved on, then later brought back to Newark for a second interview. The second interview lasted maybe 20 minutes and was a complete waste of time. Weeks went by and I never heard a thing from BOA. The phrase "wishy washy" comes to mind when summing up this experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, MI

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bank of America in December 2012.

3 interviews. First one a coding written test. A phone interview about design patterns. On sight interview. first group ask about SQL (join) and databases. The second group gave me Coding assignments (finding errors in a code, writing a code to reverse a string, tell what a certain code is doing), last part was a software design task about a project.

Interview Questions
    • design a calculator that does addition, multiplication, etc...add a scientific and statistics calculators.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bank of America in October 2011.

I got interview call from University recruiting. The interview was of around 45 minutes and it was fairly easy. The interviewer had a set of questions and she asked from those only. Noted down the answers as I answered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopewell, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopewell, PA

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bank of America in August 2011.

Submit application through recruiter. Got phone interview. The manager provided a conference number to call in there his team were in a room. They took term to ask questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bank of America in April 2011.

One phone interview and one interview where I met the hiring manager and 2 techies

Interview Questions
    • How to start a WebSphere instance?   View Answer
    • What are different ways to create threads in Java?   View Answer

Had a better offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bank of America in July 2010.

Phone interview had very technical java and related questions. Too technical, sometimes requiring a lot of deep questions instead of a higher level logic.

Interview Questions
    • How does lazy initialization work for subclasses in Hibernate.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bank of America in March 2010.

Phone screen, software coding problems followed by an in-person technical interview. Technical interview wasn't hard and they understood that you might not have experience in all of the areas covered.

Interview Questions
    As a contractor and needing a job, I didn't ask for much. Base salary I asked for was at or below market average.