Bank of Canada

Updated Feb 24, 2015
Updated Feb 24, 2015

3.6

I applied online – interviewed at Bank of Canada.

Only one round. Took place over web conference. Mostly technical interview, with little emphasis on fit questions. Mainly tested knowledge of economics and statistics. I was also asked to comment on current events and give an opinion on how the Bank should react to them.

Interview Questions
    • Should the Bank interfere in the forex market to bring down the Canadian dollar?   Answer Question

Analyst/Economist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bank of Canada in January 2015.

Applied online in September and got a call from them in January. they scheduled a phone interview. there were 3 persons attending in interview but just one of them asking me questions ( it was supposed to a video interview, but thankfully, they encountered technical issue and continued through a phone interview)

Interview Questions
    • Different kinds of financial risks and how to hedge against them.   Answer Question
    • what is the main roles of Bank of Canada?   Answer Question
    • a behavioural question: what was the challenge you faced and how did you faced it   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at Bank of Canada.

Online Application, if you get through, you do a programming exercise and then you have an online/phone interview.

It's not your typical "We want to know about you" questions where you have describe situations where you worked as a team, etc. The questions are based on econometrics, economic theory and monetary policy. They also ask questions on your programming exercise and why you did it in a way, etc.

Piece of advice: Study their website!

Research Assistant Interview

Applied in May and got a call in late September to be interviewed. Got an offer in October. I had a phone interview because I was from out of province. I've heard from other RAs that they got a Skype interview. Nonetheless, it is must less intimidating over the phone.

I applied online – interviewed at Bank of Canada.

Online interview with 4 people, 3 were economists from different departments. They asked me a lot of technical econometrics questions since my writing sample was an econometrics paper. Lasted about an hour. I could not answer everything but did my best about international finance and some modelling.

Interview Questions
    • How would you model imports from the US,How would canadian investors be affected if another country defaults.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, I got two offers from two departments within the bank and I could chose in which department I wanted to join.

online interview

Senior IT Auditor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bank of Canada in November 2013.

The hiring process includes an interview with the Audit Director, Audit Principal and IT Audit Lead. The interview lasts for about an hour and if successfully completed then the next phase is a written case study. Upon satisfactory completion of both criteria then an offer may be presented by BoC once all the checks are in order.

Interview Questions
    • The interview is very structured focusing on specific questions and areas of IT audit. The following questions were noted during my interview:
      - Provide an overview of your experience
      - What role does Internal Audit play
      - What is the difference and similarity between Windows and Unix with respect to auditing techniques (be very specific here)
      - Why are you interested in this role?
      - When presented with a challenge what was the challenge and what was the solution?
      - What do you feel are the most important aspects of an IT Audit?
      - What do you audit in and SAP oriented audit (be specific)

Overall they want alot of details here, and I highly recommend you bring a water bottle with you during the interview. Once again be very specific as these are very structured questions.

Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bank of Canada.

Submitted online, phone interview first - talked about econometrics, central banking and technical skills, was 30 mins with an Economist, Second round is in Ottawa, half a day meeting people and having panel interviews

Interview Questions
    Little negotiation, small range and very competitive

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Bank of Canada.

2 interviews: 1st by phone and 2nd by face to face or I think they use video chat now.
    types of questions: 1) an econometrics type question, 2) computer skills question and 3) an economics policy question.

don't be too hard on yourselves if you don't get the job, I am pretty sure for the most part the hiring process is random. the variance of skills set and knowledge of the RAs is quite high.

On top of that each of the interviewers have their own bias of what is "smart" to know and so if you happen to have that "smarts" and you luck out and get an interviewer who favours that, well then you are likely to get the offer then.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you questions they don't even know the answers to. They want to see how you respond to them.   Answer Question

Economist Interview

only conference call (1st round)
    I successful, would go to a 2nd round, panel interview and a written test.

Skype interview was about 45 minutes, very tech, only economics and econometrics questions. There were no behavioral or situation based questions. Practically an oral econometrics exam :)

Interview Questions
    • not too unexpected: describe the empirical project that you did before - easy to answer if you have and hard if you haven't   Answer Question