Bank of Canada

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Research Assistant

I applied online and interviewed at Bank of Canada.

Interview Details – Only one round. Took place over web conference. Mostly technical interview, with little emphasis on fit questions. Mainly tested knowledge of economics and statistics. I was also asked to comment on current events and give an opinion on how the Bank should react to them.

Interview Question – Should the Bank interfere in the forex market to bring down the Canadian dollar?   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Bank of Canada.

Interview Details – Online interview with 4 people, 3 were economists from different departments. They asked me a lot of technical econometrics questions since my writing sample was an econometrics paper. Lasted about an hour. I could not answer everything but did my best about international finance and some modelling.

Interview Question – How would you model imports from the US,How would canadian investors be affected if another country defaults.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I got two offers from two departments within the bank and I could chose in which department I wanted to join.

Interviewed at Bank of Canada

Interview Details – online interview

Interview Question – How to measure a sovereign debt?   Answer Question

Senior IT Auditor Interview

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bank of Canada in November 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process includes an interview with the Audit Director, Audit Principal and IT Audit Lead. The interview lasts for about an hour and if successfully completed then the next phase is a written case study. Upon satisfactory completion of both criteria then an offer may be presented by BoC once all the checks are in order.

Interview Question – The interview is very structured focusing on specific questions and areas of IT audit. The following questions were noted during my interview:
- Provide an overview of your experience
- What role does Internal Audit play
- What is the difference and similarity between Windows and Unix with respect to auditing techniques (be very specific here)
- Why are you interested in this role?
- When presented with a challenge what was the challenge and what was the solution?
- What do you feel are the most important aspects of an IT Audit?
- What do you audit in and SAP oriented audit (be specific)

Overall they want alot of details here, and I highly recommend you bring a water bottle with you during the interview. Once again be very specific as these are very structured questions.
  Answer Question

Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Bank of Canada.

Interview Details – Submitted online, phone interview first - talked about econometrics, central banking and technical skills, was 30 mins with an Economist, Second round is in Ottawa, half a day meeting people and having panel interviews

Interview Question – Build a model for GDP   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Little negotiation, small range and very competitive

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Bank of Canada.

Interview Details – 2 interviews: 1st by phone and 2nd by face to face or I think they use video chat now.
types of questions: 1) an econometrics type question, 2) computer skills question and 3) an economics policy question.

don't be too hard on yourselves if you don't get the job, I am pretty sure for the most part the hiring process is random. the variance of skills set and knowledge of the RAs is quite high.

On top of that each of the interviewers have their own bias of what is "smart" to know and so if you happen to have that "smarts" and you luck out and get an interviewer who favours that, well then you are likely to get the offer then.

Interview Question – They will ask you questions they don't even know the answers to. They want to see how you respond to them.   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Interviewed at Bank of Canada

Interview Details – only conference call (1st round)
I successful, would go to a 2nd round, panel interview and a written test.

Skype interview was about 45 minutes, very tech, only economics and econometrics questions. There were no behavioral or situation based questions. Practically an oral econometrics exam :)

Interview Question – not too unexpected: describe the empirical project that you did before - easy to answer if you have and hard if you haven't   Answer Question

Summer Student Interview

Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Bank of Canada in March 2011.

Interview Details – I applied months prior, I had forgotten even applying. They called Mid March ... Very late for summer hiring. I thin spoke with someone from HR and had a phone interview with my to be boss and his boss. Interview was very informal mostly looking for fit and current knowledge. They had hinted they would be picking me but still needed to interview another candidate.

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Research Assistant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Bank of Canada in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online before the grad recruitment cut off date
Was granted a virtual interview (essentially like Skype) first part of November
Was given a programming exercise to solve using whatever language I wanted. (Statistical/Econometrics Case)

Interview questions:
Setup a regression equation (what independent variables would you use)
What affect would a high Loonie have on the Canadian economy
How do you make sure your beta coefficients are valid in a regression
etc.

35 minute interview

Interview Question – At first I didn't know what the exercise was even asking me, so it took me two days to figure it out. Once I comprehended the question I coded it up in like 15 minutes. Allowed to insert pseudo code where you don't know the proper syntax to use.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Bank of Canada in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruiting website and career section on Bank of canada website.
Interview was done using both phone/web camera simultaneously.
Two behavioural questions for first 10minutes, heavy emphasis on technical questions about basic statistics (definitions on Bayesian formula, moments, hypothesis tests, etc), and your work on pre-interview exercises.

Interview Question – Hard to focus on the interview, sound quality was not good.   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Bank of Canada? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bank of Canada interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Bank of Canada employees and interview candidates.