Bank of the West

Updated Feb 7, 2015
Updated Feb 7, 2015

2.5

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bank of the West.

Very laid back and relaxed atmosphere. It was overall a very good experience. The bank manager and csr manager were both present. I was very overqualified for the job and was only looking for a part time gig while I went to school.

Interview Questions
    • Basic customer service questions and money handling ethics   Answer Question
    No negotiations.

Bank Teller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bank of the West.

Applied online and received a call two weeks later to interview. Interviewed with the Branch Manager and Assistant Branch Manager. Both took turns asking scenario questions mainly on customer service and teamwork.

Interview Questions
    • What do you do when you have a long line of customers and you are currently helping someone?   View Answer
    N/A

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bank of the West.

This is for the Finance Summer Internship. It was a 2-part process, interviewing on campus and then in-office with 4 different people. Pretty easy, behavioral, not too technical. I hear they're trying to recruit better with a more competitive salary now. I met them at my college career fair and talked to the head recruiter. HR is very helpful.

Interview Questions
    • Can you tell me how a bank works and what are the accounting items on the 3 statements? Ex, What are accounts receivables/payables   Answer Question

Senior IT PM Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Bank of the West in January 2015.

Independent recruiter offered position, and negotiated billing rate. She was able to schedule interview with BotW manager within approximately 2 workign days. Seems there are 4 positions open, and they want to hire as quickly as possible.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Help me understand how you got into project management.
      2. Company X seems to be the position when you started being a PM. What and how did you get into being a PM.
      3. How did you begin your position at Company Y. What were some of the challenges.
      4. How do you manage risk. Do you proactively or reactively manage risk.
      5. IF you do not have experience on managing a certain type of project, how do you minimize risk.
      6. How do you manage overages (time charges) on a certain project.

View Answer

Vice President Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bank of the West.

I was referred by a current employee. HR recruiter was pleasant and professional. She followed up regularly and kept me updated on progress. 1 on 1 in-person interview with hiring manager was only 45 minutes. Was invited back to meet with key several senior managers and head of division. Salary negotiation was straightforward. One of the most positive hiring and interview experiences in my 20+ year career. Unfortunately, the work experience as an FTE is the opposite.

Finance Job Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Bank of the West.

After a phone interview with the hieing manager, HR organized a 1 day interview for several openings. I saw 1 to 3 people per openings. No panel interview, mostly classic interview questions and technical questions on how to use systems.

Gave me a good impression of the collaboration among different teams in the company and of tenical skills of managers.

Interview Questions
    • Worked live on a business case on ROI, investment decisions.   Answer Question
    HR puts the offer in writing, gives you a deadline to accept or decline. No negotiation.

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Bank of the West.

I applied through LinkedIn and had an interview with HR, phone interview with VP, and then interview with 3 people on-site. I failed one of the rounds of on-site interview where the interviewer tried to do everything to make me feel uncomfortable and asked the same question for 5 times.

Financial Analyst Interview

the process took me a day. A hiring manager was interested in my resume just because I graduated from Cal and took some quantitative classes. He seemed to be interested in my skills rather than experience.

Interview Questions
    • He kept asking the details of my school projects that involved a lot of data   Answer Question

Corporate Events Officer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Bank of the West in October 2014.

I applied online and received a call from the Bank of the West recruiter a couple weeks later. She set up an initial phone interview with her that week. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. They contacted me later that week and set up an in person interview. The in person interview was about 1 hour long. They contacted me 1 week after this in person interview and set up 2 more phone interviews. Both of the phone interviews ended up being rescheduled several times. Each of the additional phone interviews were 30-45 minutes. After completing the 2 additional phone interviews I still have not heard anything from the company regarding their hiring decision. I have followed up by email with the recruiter and the person I had the in person interview and have received no response. It has been over 1 month since my in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • There were no unexpected or difficult questions. They all pertained to the position.   Answer Question

BSA/AML Investigator Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Bank of the West.

Scheduling an interview was rather quick, but the hiring process seemed to take a long time. I did not hear anything for at least three weeks. Once the job offer came, the process took two more. The interview itself was fairly relaxed and personable. There were three interviewers taking turns asking scripted questions.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty straightforward and focused on experience and background. Nothing surprising or unexpected, per se.   Answer Question
    The manager I spoke with seemed uncomfortable discussing salary and appeared to have little leeway for negotiating.