Bank of the West

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bank of the West in January 2013.

I recently did an on-site Interview with Bank of the West for a Senior Software Engineer role, which the SVP also referred to as a "Tech Lead" type position.

This mid-size regional bank has historically had a bit of a haphazard approach to software engineering but is trying to step up their game with a large number of new hires. The hiring manager showed me the org chat and it appears that they're attempting to hire on at least a dozen people over the coming months.

In terms of the environment, there are offices on the outside edge of the building but these are usually reserved for directors, the many Vice Presidents, SVP's and general management types. My guess is that general software engineering and/or office drones are all kept in the half-height cubes scattered around the floor plan away from the windows. It's a pretty generic office environment, reminding me almost of the Dunder Mifflin office space.

Everyone I met on the 3rd floor of the (24 story) BoTW building was very friendly, sometimes a little too blunt or honest, but certainly an enthusiastic and happy bunch of people to work with. There was a nice variety of age ranges and styles (approaches) of the people I spoke with.

The reason I declined to go forward with this particular role myself is that the tech lead positions are more of an enterprise-oriented "manage the outside vendor" variety and not a hands-on engineering role, but for someone who is comfortable with keeping up to date with technology trends and coming up with test cases and an ability to hack proof (and/or secure) the process of financial transactions, this might be the role of a lifetime.

In any event, I was glad to get to visit BoTW and I hope my experience going through this interview will help you to prepare and pass yours. If my interview notes helped you out, please let me know by voting "yes" on the "Helpful?" question below.

Interview Questions
  • looking at the overall architecture of the banking system (mainframe to the end client), if you had to introduce a change or bring in a new feature, where would you even start the process of planning?   View Answer