Bankers Life

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

1.9

Insurance Agent 1099 Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bankers Life.

Initial contact by phone; the first person I spoke to on the phone was very pleasant-invited to the first interview, which was a group interview of about 8 people. Contacted about the 2nd interview, which was also a group interview of 5 people who were 'culled' from the various group interviews, which were low key & primarily informative & 'Q & A.' Third interview was a 'one on one' with a different manager; everyone I met was quite friendly 'non-aggressive.' Company has reputation for supportive training.

Interview Questions
    • Was actually not asked any questions that would 'stump' you-they were more interested in giving you their information as well as wanting to know what you wanted out of this position.   Answer Question

No reason relating to the company itself; simply a personal decision to go in a different direction professionally.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I got a call from some lady asking me questions about my background in business. I asked her to repeat a question about me having a sales background and she just acted like I answered it. She immediately said that Bankers Life would like to interview me even though I didn't answer one of her questions relating to if I have a sales background. She offered me about 4 or 5 different places and times. I had to choose the latest one which was over a half hour away because the one that took place in the town next to mine was when I was scheduled to work. No big deal, just a little disappointing. I should have realized something was wrong but went along with it.She made it sound like I was going to have a one-on-one interview.

When I showed up for my "interview" which was now called a meeting, I realized something was up. I was told to go to a room which already have some hopeful applicants in it. The manager comes into the room and starts showing everyone a PowerPoint presentation. He immediately tells us we are the best of the best as they are very picky about who they interview. He kept mentioning how great the job is and telling us that we could get a job at MetLife right now if we wanted to. He kept taking little digs at MetLife like the company did something wrong to him. He went over the target demographic(the elderly) and pretty much everything about the job. He kept mentioning you'd need about $300 for insurance test and licensing. There were a few weird points. He kept asking questions but said no one should answer them. He also mentioned that if we were just here for money, we should leave. He said the money is good but that isn't what this job is about. He then proceeded to show everyone 3 slides on how much money we could make at Bankers Life. He constantly talked about giant bonuses even though he mentioned how the money wasn't the important thing. He openly admitted that they do door-to-door sales. He talked about how Bankers Life has a long training program and tried to make it seem like no other company does any training after two weeks. He kept saying that other companies would help you get accumulated after two weeks which made me question if he ever worked for another company. He then said that he wanted up to fill out this form which asks our names and basic information but also includes of a "test" where you check off what others think or you and what you think of yourself. He told us that some will be weeded out if they fail even though people can easily lie and give the answers that the manager wants to hear. He also said we will be called the next day and interviewed a second time if accepted on Friday. There is also a question on the form where it asks for you to recommend someone you think would like this job including giving that person's email and phone number. Remember how he told everyone they were the best of the best and Bankers Life is very picky? I guess they are picky unless someone at a "meeting",who Bankers Life just met, recommends someone else. I finished the test and on the way out, wanted to ask the manager a question. He immediately looks at me and says that will be handled in the second interview. I'm sorry but I usually want ask some questions so I get a better feel before I decide to commit to a second interview. I understands he needs a test to determine my value, it should be fair if I could at least ask something so I that can make an informed decision about whether to accept a second interview.

I received a phone call the next day while I was at work. He didn't tell me if I had been accepted for a second interview or not, but asked me to call him back. I quickly returned his call only to be met with his voicemail. I made two more calls within two hours as I would prefer to talk in person before leaving a voicemail. My call was returned two days later with no apology, but he said I was accepted for a second interview. This was the same day he previously said he would be doing second interviews. I guess that was a lie. He then told me he had two days for me to interview and both were in the morning(I'm a seasonal worker, missing a day means my job). I informed him I work during those hours and that I can't miss a day. He met my reply with informing me that he only wants to do morning interviews and that I have to take a risk if I want this job completely ignoring how he said that he held the "meeting" I attended at night because of people with morning jobs. He was also very rude on the phone. If you make the initial meeting flexible, you should make the other interviews flexible as well. It is unrealistic to ask for someone to risk their job and sole source of income especially if that income would be needed to pay for the insurance test and licensing, just for an opportunity which that person couldn't take because they couldn't take the test.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have money to pay for the insurance test and licensing?   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bankers Life.

I have applied via Indeed.com. I was contacted few weeks later for an interview schedule. They also sent me an email a day before the said interview, to remind me of the adress and the hour of the appointment.
    I was a bit supprised because there it was a presentation of the company by the Unit Sales Manager. It was a briliant presentation, I learned a lot about the job and the career process, as well as the salaries.
    At the end they gave us a survey to fill, it wasabout the presentation. they say they wwould decide of wether they will call us or not depending on our responses to the survey's questions.

Insurance Agent Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bankers Life.

Short phone interview and one face to face interview. I called an ad that was ran in the paper. I talked with the main branch manager and was invited in for a face to face interview with him and another manager. They called me later that day and offered the job.

None

Insurance Agent 1099 Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bankers Life.

Starts with group career briefing, then moves into second group interview. Not sure what criteria they use to determine selection other than application/resume. They do a good job of presenting overview of opportunity but there are things you discover after successfully completing new agent training that weren't adequately explained prior.

N/A

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

It was a three part process. The first step is to go through a briefing in which they will 9 out of ten times ask you to return as long as you have a vehicle and aren't a complete jerk. The next is with one of the managers and the final is with the big boss. At that point you either accept or decline offer if given.

Interview Questions
    • What is your motivating factor? Like what gets you up in the morning and push to make it through the day successfully.   Answer Question

Insurance Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Bankers Life.

Very Nice Team,questions were easy and straight to the point,got a call for a second interview,but was tied up and could not attend.All in all,it was a nice experience..Would have loved to be part of a great company

Interview Questions
    • None.you just get to chat with them and answer few questions   Answer Question

Human Resources/Management Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bankers Life in December 2014.

Was contacted by a recruiter, who dogged me for the longest time before I finally agreed to go to an interview. I've interviewed at a lot of places like this before; insurance, finances, anything like that, so I sort of knew what I was getting into. I was brought in by this woman, who wasn't even from my half of the country, to a 'new branch' near my home. When I got there, I immediately knew it was a mistake. The 'manager' didn't know who I was, or why I was there, and seemed put off by many of my questions. After he handed me a book and told me to go into the back and wait. There were at least ten other people there, with more on the way. I backed out, realizing it was a CutCo or Avon-style environment, meaning I wasn't there for any kind of 'job'. Very unprofessional, would not recommend to anybody. 100% commission, no stability, poor environment.

I'm assuming I would have gotten an offer, if I had stayed (it seems like one of those companies, where if you survive the interview, you have a job). This is a place that hires as many people as they can, throws them against the wall, and sees who sticks.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Bankers Life in December 2014.

Bankers Life invites you to a series of 3 interviews. The first "interview" is just a group presentation to detail information about the company. I was surprised by this because I was actually expecting a real interview. They then ask you to fill out a questionnaire and ask you to submit a resume. Based on your resume and questionnaire, they then ask you to come back for a 2nd group presentation. The second presentation gives more detailed information about compensation and exactly what is expected. They then have you sign up for a 3rd interview which will be one- on -one.

Interview Questions
    • I decided not to continue to the 3rd interview as the compensation is 100% commission and I needed a steady income.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Palm Beach, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Bankers Life.

This is NOT an individual interview. Many other participants; "conference interview" with no one-on-one. I do not recommend this very much. I saw many people having the same experience as I had, this seems like their regular recruiting process.