Bankers Life

Bankers Life Interview Questions

Updated Dec 12, 2014
Updated Dec 12, 2014

1.9

Misrepresented As An Administrative Position, Actually Recruiting for New Insurance Agents Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied through other source – interviewed at Bankers Life in October 2014.

Contacted by phone to set up a personal interview from an online job board search by the company. Told them I was not interested in becoming an agent, but would like an admin position. Assured the position was not for an agent.

Interview Questions
    • Ended up being a sales presentation by a lower-level manager to a group of six people to join as a prospective agent. All had expected a personal interview with the Regional Director.   View Answer

Insurance Agent Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Culver City, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bankers Life in October 2014.

You must come on a Wednesday at 2pm dressed for interview (they will call to confirm and give friendly reminder), but before being "interviewed," you're there to hear an hour+ long presentation about the industry, the state of what the average person needs when they retire, then a breakdown of what they do. The presentation is fairly informative, obviously built to recruit agents. You then fill out an application of sorts and go in for an interview, where you're again sales-pitched.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Bankers Life in October 2014.

As soon as I entered the office for the interview, I was put into a large "classroom" with several other people for a group interview which I wasn't told I would be doing. The hiring manager was 15 minutes late so we all just sat there awkwardly looking at the cartoon powerpoint that kept repeating. Eventually the manager shows up and introduces himself, then he makes each one of us stand up and tell the rest of the group a bit about ourselves. This made me really uncomfortable especially since I wasn't expecting any of it. All the people in the room were tense and awkward. The manager even told one applicant in the middle of the presentation, "I don't think you'd be right for this job", and asked her to leave in front of everybody. The whole event put a bad taste in my mouth and I left with the girl along with another two people.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bankers Life.

Listen to the other reviews please. I read the reviews but decided to give this company a chance anyways. I was wrong! I was emailed twice and called once to confirm a 1 on 1 interview with a manager for a management fast track program. It turned out that my "1 on 1 interview" was actually a group format to mass interview sales agents. When I confronted my point of contact about the incident, she just said, "Oh disregard that we don't hold formal interviews but after the information session you can talk to the manager if you like." Needless to say, I didn't stick around to waste my time. The job is 100% commission based and there are stipulations for you to be reimbursed for your insurance licensing fees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlantic City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlantic City, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bankers Life.

Initial group presentation followed by 2nd presentation. Then interview with Manager. They will take almost anyone that has a Life and Health license. Managers are bonuses on how many recruits they hire. You must pass the life and health exams before you can start selling policies. The exam are tough. You must study to pass them.

No negotiation. It's 100% commission

Insurance Agent 1099 Interview

It was in a group setting unprofessional had no one on one interaction with candidates. Told you that most people washout, didn't follow up on my interest in another position they had available.

too many red flags

Life Insurance Agent Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bankers Life.

I had an interview with them 2 weeks ago and they asked the basic questions of my skills, challenges, and goals in the job force. Overall a very smooth and easy interview.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was regarding how committed I would be to selling insurance since it is not at all easy but rewarding.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duluth, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bankers Life in September 2014.

Went to what I believed was going to be a one on one interview. I had read another review that stated that their "interview" was more of a lecture with a group of 15-20 hopeful applicants, but I thought "oh, well this is probably different than that guy's experience."-- It was NOT DIFFERENT. It was a classroom of 20 people (most of which did not look like they belonged there), in fact the cast of applicants looked like they were attending a college lecture rather than an employment opportunity-- People blatantly texting under the desk, staring around the room (in any direction other than the company speaker), faces and general demeanors that expressed an obvious feeling of 'I don't want to be here' almost as if their mommies had forced them to go (just like school).

The speaker was knowledgeable, as he should have been considering his position was that of Branch Manager. However, before beginning his lecture, or lesson-like powerpoint presentation, he stated "Nobody ask any questions. I will not answer ANY questions- save those for your one-on-one interviews" - which felt almost like a warning. He proved that he meant what he said when a timid young girl attempted to ask a simple question (which I believe was intended towards a confusing pie chart on the powerpoint) but was interrupted by the Branch Manager who reminded her of his previous stance on questions-- even though she had raised her hand and was CALLED ON by the manager. I guess he felt where the questions was going and perhaps he was not comfortable answering it due to something negative it might expose about the company.

At one point, I LAUGHED OUT LOUD... The manager was speaking about the target market in which they PREY ON... the ELDERLY, specifically the ages 65+. Obviously Bankers is a life and casualty insurance company, so the elderly are the market... however, the position which all of us were there for was described by the Manager as one which would require us to drive door to door trying to scare older people into buying life insurance and preparing for "final expenses" (funeral bills, execution of last wills and testaments). We were told that "the best thing about old people is that they don't have anything to do all day so they are always home. And if Martha invites you in for cookies and tea (old women always bake all day, right?), and Martha is a nice woman because all old women are nice, then when Martha goes to her book club or George goes to the YMCA, they will talk about Bankers and convince their friends to buy Bankers. And all old people have lots of money because they lived through the great depression and were forced to learn how to save money"

THE LAUGH OUT LOUD part is coming I promise... My mind was running and I kept thinking how ridiculous this sounded... My grandma does not bake, my granddad does not attend the Y... but apparently every elderly person follows the same day to day itinerary- by grandparents must be losers. If old people don't spend money because they were forced to save money then HEY? Why don't I just slither my way into Martha's bakery-based kitchen, sip some tea with George and try to scare these nice people into changing the conservative way of life and financial management that they inherited from their parents during a horrible period of time that I was fortunate enough not to have been around and has allowed them to have the level of financial security that they have today.

The Manager continued with... "So how do we help you find these old people? We have a pool of names and numbers of people 65+ that we will give you to call (harass). But after that list, youre on your own to drive around and make sales"

BUT WAIT! WE'RE NOT DONE! NOT ONLY WILL YOU RECEIVE THE OLD PEOPLE'S NAMES AND NUMBERS, but """ WE HAVE A GPS SYSTEM THAT OUR GENIUS DOWN IN FLORIDA INVENTED USING A MAGELLAN GPS SYSTEM THAT MOUNTS IN YOUR CAR.... AND WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD YOU WILL SEE THESE LITTLE ICONS (the manager pointed at a GPS screenshot on the powerpoint screen that showed a typical navigation with street names and est. times, and distances...) Where most GPS have icons with a little fork and spoon to show a restaurant (like on your phone, or urbanspoon), the GPS that Bankers uses has icons to represent houses that were inhabited by ELDERLY PEOPLE....

Are you kidding me? I laughed... this is ridiculous. "NOT ONLY DOES THE ICON POP UP, BUT IT MAKES A BELL RINGING SOUND WHEN THEIR ARE OLD PEOPLE NEARBY"

...I can just see myself cruising down the road with my Bankers name tag on, then RING RING, oh! old people, (tires screeching, and swerving over a median to go grab some of Martha's cookies and tea- they should be almost done baking.. I hope George is back from his aquatic aerobics workout at the local Y. If not, ill just scare poor old Martha into not only forking over her cookies, but also forking out their children's and grandchildren's inheritance money.

No financial incentives. I was seeking employment to make money immediately. I would have been comfortable with just a base salary of like $100 a week... I am more than confident in the ability to generate a great income in a commission based position of employment. But really... not even like $500 for a signing bonus? What exactly does Bankers do for me...?
    I pay for gas to make sales....
    I get only a percentage of that sale....
    I have to first make myself $1200 in commission sales which goes directly to them before I can collect on my commission...
    I pay to take my tests that are required for the position...

I seriously would have done it. But I need employment because I need money... I don't want to spend a month of working just to put myself in the position to have the CHANCE to make money, only to find out that I absolutely hate the job (even if I am good at it). What have I accomplished then? I have wasted money that I needed.... I have wasted a month that I could have spent applying for other jobs..

Insurance Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bankers Life.

I was invited for an initial interview which consisted of a workshop/company overview. I was asked back for a second interview and got excited about the potential for being hired. When I sat down for the second interview/workshop, if you could call it that, we were told that it would cost approximately 310.00 for licensing and fingerprinting. I immediately lost all interest what so ever in the "job opportunity." Why on earth would I waste my precious time with a job I had to spend money up front on? I felt betrayed. If they had said the cost initially, I would have never wasted my time, energy, or fuel to drive the 1 hour to get there to find out I had to spend more money to even be able to work. So very disappointing. I do understand that you would need a license to sale, but it should be made clear from the beginning that you need incur the cost to acquire it, not in the second 'interview.'

Interview Questions
    • What is your current financial situation? It was on a questionnaire I'm guessing for personality assessment. I'm pretty sure if it's even legal to use that kind of vernacular. I understand they can run a credit check, but to ask such a personal question is quite unethical, in my opinion only.   Answer Question

Not Disclosed Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oakland, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bankers Life in September 2014.

I was cold called by a recruiter who "saw my resume online." The recruiter asked questions about my management, sales, and customer service experience. She asked me to confirm that I had my own automobile for transportation and that I was currently looking for employment. When I asked for what position I was being considered, I was told, "You'll be offered a position based on your experience." When I asked with whom I would be interviewing, she said she couldn't tell; that I'd just have to show up. I was given the day, time, and (incorrectly spelled) location of the in-person interview. I was also told twice to dress professionally. (Seriously, who wouldn't dress professionally for an interview.)

The cold call was an unusual experience and the incorrectly spelled address made me suspicious. I researched other interviews with Bankers Life & Casualty on Glassdoor and realized that it was going to be a group presentation to become a commission-only sales agent. That is not my line of work, nor my career goal, but I thought I'd attend in case they were actually interested in my management experience.

Two days later I drove 30 miles to the location of the "interview." I was asked to sign in, fill out an application, and submit a copy of my resume. I asked, "Can I fill out the application after the presentation?," because I still had not been explicitly told for what position I was applying/interviewing. I was told, "No, we prefer the application to filled out first." I said, "Then I'll have to pass," and I left.

Interview Questions
    • "You are currently unemployed and actively seeking employment?"   View Answer