Bankers Life & Casualty Insurance Sales Interview Questions

Updated Sep 10, 2014

1.9

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty.

I was invited for an initial interview which consisted of a workshop/company overview. I was asked back for a second interview and got excited about the potential for being hired. When I sat down for the second interview/workshop, if you could call it that, we were told that it would cost approximately 310.00 for licensing and fingerprinting. I immediately lost all interest what so ever in the "job opportunity." Why on earth would I waste my precious time with a job I had to spend money up front on? I felt betrayed. If they had said the cost initially, I would have never wasted my time, energy, or fuel to drive the 1 hour to get there to find out I had to spend more money to even be able to work. So very disappointing. I do understand that you would need a license to sale, but it should be made clear from the beginning that you need incur the cost to acquire it, not in the second 'interview.'

Interview Questions
  • What is your current financial situation? It was on a questionnaire I'm guessing for personality assessment. I'm pretty sure if it's even legal to use that kind of vernacular. I understand they can run a credit check, but to ask such a personal question is quite unethical, in my opinion only.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Bankers Life & Casualty

Insurance Sales Interview

I received a call from someone and I was told that they found my resume online and they would like to schedule interview to discuss this opportunity. The interview was a group presentation about how much money you could make working for Bankers Life.

Interview Questions

My decision was based on the information I read about the company on the internet

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in July 2013.

Bizarre interview process. They provided virtually no information on this job. This is just a scam to get 10-12 people in a room to give them a pitch on being insurance sales people. This was very unprofessional and I would recommend staying away from any inquiry by this company, which, by the way was never specifically identified prior to the meeting.

Interview Questions
    • The moderator opened up by asking us to fill out the simple 4 quadrant personality trait grid.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in June 2013.

I was called in for an interview after placing my resume on monster.com. It was a three tier interview in which the first two interviews were group and the third was an individual interview. The first interview was going over company history and explained what the company was about. The second went into more detail as to what the job entails. I read over reviews on glassdoor to discover that they make employees pay for leads weekly and its mandatory so after verifying this I respectfully declined the offer.

Interview Questions

No company should make their reps pay for leads. No paid training you have to pay for your own licensing and get reimbursed later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in April 2013.

I was contacted by a recruiter who has invited me for an interview and presentation. At first I was briefly interviewed by the branch manager, than went through the presentation, and afterwords another interview and a questionnaire about my expectations and impression of the position and the company.
    Overall seems like a nice place, people are nice and the working environment seems pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked what is my deepest concern about the company/position.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brea, CA

interviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in October 2012.

I applied to a position posted on Monster; they called me after seeing my resume on Monster. They set up a meeting with me and about 6 other people. They asked some basic questions about everyone (What is your current employment? Do you speak any other languages?) and had a lengthy presentation (about an hour and a half). The presentation mostly just talked about your earnings potential at the company. If you want to know about more than just money, it won't be very interesting. (If you read the pamphlets they give you when you first enter, you'll already know about the monetary incentives they present about anyway.)

After the presentation they asked everyone who was not interested in the position to leave because they were only interested in "serious" candidates. I left after that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in July 2012.

The requested that I come in for an interview after they saw my resume on Monster.com. It was a group interview with about 7 other people. The majority of the interview (a little over an hour) was a presentation given by one of their sales agents. She spoke about the earning potential of the commission based position and discussed the opportunities for advancement within the company. Then we were asked to only stay and complete the interview process if we were seriously interested. The sales representative and her district manager asked us questions about our experience and we each took turns answering.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Framingham, MA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in April 2012.

Initial group presentation to highlight company. Was called back for a second interview but declined.

Interview Questions
    • No questions were asked in initial presentation.   View Answer

Found a better job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Timonium, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Timonium, MD

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in January 2012.

The interview process is really two stages. The first is done with around 15 applicants and is mainly a briefing on the company and their own business ethics and practices. At the end of the briefing there is a short essay format questionnaire on what you expect from the company and what you bring to the table. If they like your answers, and the way you composed yourself in the briefing, you will be called back for a one on one interview.
    The one on one interview was a standard job interview, talking about what is expected, why you want the position, etc. There is another questionnaire and another short briefing, this time with far few applicants.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time your supervisor had you do something you weren't qualified to do.   Answer Question

Pay is by commission only, and I would prefer a steady check for security. You also have to pay 274 dollars in various fees to get licensed for insurance sales, and that is not refunded until you are with the company for 6 months.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edina, MN

The process took a dayinterviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in November 2011.

I was induced to this “interview” under the guise that it actually was an interview. It is not. It is an hour-long promotional speech on why you should choose to take a risk and basically start your own business with a little help from Bankers. You will need to get all of your own insurance licenses, at your own cost. The “interview” is a group presentation in one of the most-outdated and poorly maintained buildings in Edina.

When I walked in and realized that was a group presentation and not an interview, I walked back out of the group presentation room and asked the receptionist (buried behind clutter and mounds of paper, some leaning up against the wall to keep them upright) if this was a presentation instead of an interview, she in turn asked a gentleman from the office to talk to me.

I repeated my question, was this an interview as I had been led to believe or merely a group presentation? The man curtly replied, “Do you have someplace better to be?” Then he snapped, “ I don’t know you. The only way I can learn if you are worth my time is through the presentation. Tell you what, if you stay and you think that I wasted your time, I’ll pay you.” Then, he walked out of the office to the restroom.

Not knowing what kind of money was on the line, I stayed. I did not fill out any of the paperwork they give you (a full personality test and detailed profile). The gentleman who confronted me before turned out to be the presenter. I stayed anyway and listened. The presentation detailed how supposedly Bankers is the best company ever to work for (alongside really)-dream vacations and six-figure salaries await those who choose to invest their time and money to pursue a Banker’s career.

According to our friend, the presenter, he now makes more than his lawyer and doctor buddies and works far less. When it came time for questions, I asked some pointed ones.

Q: Since you travel to some many homes concerning insurance, does Banker’s reimburse for any of your extra car and gas expenses?
    A: No.

Q: Do you need insurance licenses for this?
    A: Yes.

Q:Will Banker’s pay for those licenses or courses?
    A: No. However, if you work for Banker’s for 90 days and meet certain sales goals, “you can apply for reimbursement for the license fees.”

Q: What is the turnover rate?
    A: 45% of agents quit within the first 14 months.

Q:Do they offer benefits?
    A: No.

Q: Do they offer any guaranteed salary?

Q: 401(K) matching?

Q: 401(K) at all?
    A: No.

Then, our presenter said, “So, I have ten bucks. Did I waste your time? Do you want to take it?” After an hour and fifteen minutes, he had wasted my time, but that he thought my 75 minutes were worth just $10 ($8/hour), absolutely solidified that I would never want to work for Banker’s. I probably should have taken the money, for gas if nothing else, but I politely declined and left.

Do not make the same mistake that I did. Do not waste your time with this group presentation. Google Banker’s and realize that investigations from Congress are pending and that have been universally panned by clients as a complete sham. To work for them, you would need to prey on the elderly and promise services that the BBB can verify are routinely not delivered.

No matter your desperation, look elsewhere.

See above.