Bankers Life & Casualty

204 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Anonymous Interview

Cherry Hill, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in June 2014.

Interview Details – I was Contacted by phone the recruiter explained to me that my resume fitted there description, wanted me to sit in a conference room for orientation. I sat and listed to see what this was all about .

Reason for Declining – Reason was that I wasn't looking for a sales position.

Plymouth Meeting, PA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in September 2011.

Interview Details – Several auditorium type meetings --- rah rah mentality-tried to entice with copies of large- copies of commission checks that were previously written---as if there were oodles of money to be made.

Interview Question – What are your family values   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no---just repeated meetings and shown copies of checks issued to other agents.

Rockford, IL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in June 2014.

Interview Details – Was a group learning interview with the possibility of a 2nd interview the very next day. Information was given about the company. Questions were asked and answered. Branch manager was friendly. Rockford branch office was somewhat easy to get to; parking was practically nonexistent, however.

Interview Question – Will you be able to live off of commissions?   View Answer

Insurance Agent 1099 Interview

Insurance Agent 1099

Interviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty

Interview Details – All but one interview were group interviews. Then the one on one was brief where an offer was made on the spot. A week long training workshop was then started in which no compensation was received.

Interview Question – Once you get promoted to management is when you'll actually be an employee of the company   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was more of a take it or leave it offer. The commission tables are set so there's not much room for negotiation.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Insurance Sales Agent
Pittsburgh, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in October 2010.

Interview Details – met by accident at job fair. though i was at job fair for medical device companies. was lured in by booth reps. went to initial meeting. sounded real good the hiring manager is a very good recruiter. went to second interview. then made cut for 3rd interview. realized later they wanted to give me job more than i wanted job but recruiter was very good at making me want job more than they wanted to give it to me.

Interview Question – At third and final interview, recruiter asked me to pay a $500 fee to start with company to pay for my expenses. He mentioned they only take cash. I realized later that's how they lock you in. If you leave you don't get the money back   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations during hiring process

Very Easy Interview

North Hollywood, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in August 2013.

Interview Details – The hiring process lasted about an hour, we were asked to join a group for panel interview. Than they made us do a personality test. After we had a one on one interview with our managers, it was easy and straight to point interview. They disclose very little information about the company.

Interview Question – Questions are simple and straight to the point. Any person can answer their questions with ease.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They expected me to get Life Insurance license in less than a week while they were watching us study for the exam. Very unsettling, to have your supervisor , watch you study. After all we are paying for our exams, and we can work independently, or with another company. Some people walk out on the first day, it was not for them.

Insurance Sales Agent Interview

Insurance Sales Agent
Oakland, CA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in April 2014.

Interview Details – I received a cold call about an open position I was being considered for with this company. While I was puzzled with the unsolicited contact, I decided to attend the interview at least for the experience (which was not fulfilled since it turned out to be a non-standard interview). There were about 20 candidates who were brought to a meeting room. The "interview" consisted of a one-person motivational speaker style lecture about the company and about the position with a few general questions thrown to the attendees -- similar in feel to a time-share pitch or a make-money-in-your-own-home system presentation. The full nature of the position is described only when you attend. This turns out to be a no safety net 100% commission insurance sales position selling insurance products to retirees and the elderly. No mention of out of pocket costs such as for insurance licensing or details on what happens to your client list if you leave the company. You are given a sheet to sign at the end of the lecture if you want to get a presumably one-on-one second interview within two weeks. There was no pressure if you decided not to sign up for a second interview, i.e. at the end of the presentation you simply walk out without signing. The whole process from arriving at the office and the conclusion of the presentation takes about two hours.

Hard-edged 100% commission sales oriented people might be comfortable with the presentation and the job proposal. Those uncomfortable with this type of insurance sales method and position would find it very difficult even to sit through the presentation, hence the "average" interview difficulty designation below.

Note that prior to the interview I did not send a resume or apply to this company nor was I told what source they used to cold call me.

Interview Question – Few substantive questions were asked during the presentation past what attendees were doing at their previous jobs.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The offer was for a second interview, which I declined. This 100% commission sales position may be acceptable only for driven and extroverted I-can-sell-anything-to-anyone personalities. Any flavor of introvert would likely be immediately uncomfortable in this type of presentation and sales position and in my opinion might best steer clear.

Sales Agent Interview

Sales Agent

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in September 2013.

Interview Details – When you are contacted for your initial interview it sound as though it will be a one on one, however, it turns out to be a group presentation. After that when they ask you back for a second interview, that turns out to be the same process as the first.

Interview Question – Are you comfortable with 100% commission?   Answer Question

East Fishkill, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in May 2014.

Interview Details – There is a three step process: a presentation, a written test, and a one-on-one interview. The presenter will draw the line in the sand pretty early on, or as he put it "polarize" you from the very beginning. When you walk in you receiver their packet and a short test. The info is interesting, but not as thorough as a personal online search.

Interview Question – How interested/invested are you in this position are you really?   View Answer

Insurance Representative Interview

Insurance Representative
Saint Petersburg, FL

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Bankers Life & Casualty in January 2012.

Interview Details – interviewed by two people. 2nd person mis-interpreted what I was saying in 2012. Second interviewer
didn't make much of an effort to see correlation of my past experiences to position being i/v for.