Barclays Capital

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital in February 2010.

Interview Details – On campus 1:1 interview, few technical questions on C++, experience (if any), algos

Interview Question – c++, algos   Answer Question

Intern
Belfast, Northern Ireland (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital in January 2014.

Interview Details – Online application form, online tests, phone interview.

Interview Question – If you were asked to do something that was against the company's ethics or your own ethics, but made the company a lot of money would you do it?   Answer Question

Singapore (Singapore)

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Barclays Capital in December 2012.

Interview Details – Apply online, complete a questionnaire
Complete numerical and verbal assessment
First round competency interview

Interview Question – Do you feel that you are a fast learner? Have anyone at any occasion commented you are a fast learner?   View Answer

Interviewed at Barclays Capital

Interview Details – Initial stage is online application and SHL tests - very easy as long as you have done the practise. Sometimes you would get a logical test too, but from what I heard not everyone gets these. Then its a typical competency-based telephone interview - Why you? Why Barcap? Why IB? Describe a situation you worked in a team?

Interview Question – How are derivatives valued?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Barclays Capital

Interview Details – Interviewer was cold, unfriendly and seemed to be going through the motions. It was a phone interview, and she didn't interrupt or ask me questions along the way - just wanted to get the answers.

Interview Question – News about the bank within the past 12 months   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital in December 2010.

Interview Details – Applying on-line and on-line tests as for any other bank.

Went to the AC at a hotel in London. The day went on quite smoothly, started with a group case where we received a lot of material (video, analyst reports etc). For non-business or non-finance students, I would recommend to review some key concepts in accounting, valuation (not really DCF models but multiples) and industry analysis. During the group discussion, two representatives (typically VPs) will study your performance and grade you. I think these grades can help you especially if you do not receive an offer directly from one of the teams you are meeting with in the afternoon - I heard a friend of mine who got an offer that way, i.e. from a team he did not meet at all but who reviewed his overall performance during the day.

My general tips for the case discussion/presentation preparation are:
 - Be positive and supporting,
 - Be active during the entire discussion,
 - Tell the others what you are particularly good at and focus on those parts,
 - Be sure to have a good structure for the case presentation.
Might sound simple, but looking back, these were the essential points.

After the discussion, you are supposed to present, once again for employees. Be sure to take on one part and be relaxed while presenting. From my group, I was the only one who got an offer in the end and I was not too surprised as three of the others got extremely nervous while presenting and the last one, who had outstanding presentation skills, lacked terminology (typical History student, I guess).

During lunch, you have time to mingle with employees.

During the afternoon, all candidates have 2-10 interviews with teams (Associates, VPs or Directors). Don't get sad if you have few - just make sure to show a lot of energy, passion and dedication (e.g. when talking about previous experiences, be clear that you really liked what you were doing, because that really shows dedication which is key in IBD!). A guy from my school went there and had 10 interviews (impressive CV), but did not get any offers at all while a friend of mine had 2 interviews and received an offer. Also, you can get last-minute interviews over the course of the day.

After the AC, you submit what teams you would prefer to intern work by ranking them 1-3. The assessors do the same and in the end HR matches these together. In my case, we got a perfect fit, where I chose the team I liked the most and they chose the candidate they liked the most!

Interview Questions

• Why Barclays Capital? [answer] Why that? [answer] Why is that important? etc... Very important as a candidate to REALLY know why you want to work for Barcap.   View Answer
  • Why do companies pay a premium when acquiring companies?   Answer Question
  • What is your view on the market at the moment?   Answer Question
  • So you say that IPOs are important at this point in time. What would you recommend company A in their current IPO process?   Answer Question
  • You should know that in our team, we often go out clubbing until 5 and then everyone shows up again at 9.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Standard contract, very attractive salary, slightly higher than for most other investment banks.

Intern

The process took a day - interviewed at Barclays Capital in December 2011.

Interview Details – Online application followed by two first round interviews. The interviews are nice. Both of them are assoicate s with the firm and they gave me feedback about the technical questions. Too bad I wasn't well-prepared. The questions were pretty standard. Fit questions and techniques. They didn't even ask me why I've chosen this company and this division.

Interview Question – relationship between the three statements   View Answer

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Barclays Capital in November 2011.

Interview Details – AC- had 6 to9 different separate interviews, depending whether the desk heads like your online application or not. There was a case study which was on whether you should finance a companies expansion in debt or equity and then you had to do a presentation on it in the team that you were working in.

Interview Question – How do you go about getting to know co workers?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Barclays Capital in February 2011.

Interview Details – Group exercise first. Kind of lego game.
A case study.
Presentation.
1:1 interview.

Interview Question – garbage collection in java   Answer Question

Intern

The process took a day - interviewed at Barclays Capital in January 2011.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview for a Capital Markets internship with Barclays Capital. The interview was very strange. It was all behavioral, but questions that I have never been asked before and caught me a little off guard (i.e. tell me about a time when you took a creative risk and what was the outcome?) Not sure how that relates to banking, but needless to say I was not prepared and did not get to the next round.

Interview Question – Tell me about a creative risk you recently took and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Barclays Capital

Worked for Barclays Capital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays Capital Intern interview questions and advice. All 11 interview reviews posted anonymously by Barclays Capital employees and interview candidates.