Barclays Capital Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.1

Finance Intern Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Barclays Capital.

- Standard Psychometric tests and competency based application form

- Followed by Phone Interview which was "Strengths-Based", lots of weird questions about being inclusive in the office and moral codes.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you confronted someone who was cheating?   Answer Question

Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Barclays Capital in October 2012.

This was for a summer position in the London office. The day consisted of a group based trading game in which we traded on the expected market value against 3 other teams.

After this we had a number of interviews which ranged from 2-7 and you could of obtained more if you networked. The interviews were mainly all brainteaser and competency based. I had no technical questions however I know a few other people who got quite a few.

Graduate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sydney (Australia)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Barclays Capital in April 2011.

After the online application you get automatically approved to an online numbers exam, which if you score sufficiently turns into a word reasoning test.

3 interviews, each on different sections, one on the current market, one on accounting/finance, and the other on me as a person.

Interview Questions
    • None, all very standard if you are prepared. Know the market!   Answer Question

Human Resources Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital in December 2010.

I passed 4 different rounds of tests consisting of numerical tests, verbal reasoning tests, personality tests and a test to assess my values and priorities related to work.
    I passed all of them and they invited me to a phone interview which lasted 50 minutes. The intreviewer sounded like a recorded tape or like a robot. She was just reading the questions and typing the answers with no interaction between us. Because there was no reaction of her side I couldn't tell how I did. She was asking me competency questions and very very detailed examples. Mostly she asked for leadership skills , pro activity, initiative, hard work, ability to take tough decisions and many details about Barclays' products.
    I didn't make to the last round which was the assessment centre, and my feedback was that I didn't show enthusiasm for the role and the company.
    This particular recruiter though made my interview experience with Barclays, the one I enjoyed the least.

Interview Questions
    • What was the harshest decision you had to take so far?   Answer Question

Applications Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newark, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital in February 2010.

selection procedure was not known. was a tough one. The Microsoft staffer talked to me first on the phone, about my projects, goals, Microsoft, the Live Search team, and how interested I was. He then setup a phone screen with the development lead of the team I was interviewing for, which was to take place about a week later. This phone call was postponed because of a meeting at Microsoft, and I actually did it a few days later than planned. No big deal for me, though it was a little hectic because family was visiting and I didn’t want to discuss my interviewing with them at this point.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Singapore (Singapore)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital in February 2011.

The phone interview was about my knowledge of the financial world. After that there was an interview at the assessment center which was about detailed questions about my resume. Then there was a group activity in which we had to follow instructions given by a lady and there were two guys observing us all the time. We worked in a group of 4 for this activity.

Interview Questions
    • You have 5 minutes what would you do among the following list?   Answer Question
    • If you are interested in saving the environment, why do you want to work for a bank?   View Answer
    No. Do not try to negotiate on salary or vacation period.

Quantitative Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Barclays Capital in February 2011.

1 phone interview
    1 AC, including 1 programming test, 1 math test, and 1 paper summarizing exercise, and 3 seperate math interviews.

Interview Questions
    • math question on probability and independent variables   Answer Question

Analyst Programmer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a day - interviewed at Barclays Capital in April 2010.

Interviews consisted of telephone interview with technical tests (starting easy and progressing through to detailed and difficult areas), followed by in-person interviews with potential colleagues and senior staff to director level. Areas covered were the usual suspects - previous experience, talking about difficult situations and how one handled them, technical issues and how they were overcome.

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a difficult work situation and how you met the challenge it brought.   Answer Question
    Barcap will not negotiate on rate in my experience.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital in March 2010.

1st stage is a phone interview for general fit and competency questions, and maybe some markets overview questions. 2nd stage, obtained by passing written application, numerical and verbal tests, and 1st stage was an assessment centre. Interviews with different desks in half hour slots (people had between 3-8 interviews on the day), and at the end of that day, or early next week, you found out if, or how many, offers you had.

Interview Questions
    • How many pennies do I need to fill this room?   View Answer
    Very inflexiblie - insistent on knowing which banks you interviewed at, where you were interviewing and what you were thinking. Very aggresive in nailing you down to Barcap.

Senior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital in June 2010.

4 stages
    1) Online technical test
    2) Phone interview with technical member of the team
    3) Face to face interview with direct manager and his manager.
    4) Face to face interview (via video conference) with department head
    Technical quiz is done with 30 multiple choice questions, 3 minutes per question, no ability to go back after each one. Several questions consist of sample code. No way to cut and paste code into google - deter cheating. Very effective as you do need to know your stuff.
    Phone interview a mix of prepared questions and some discussion over previous projects.
    Face to face was yet more technical questions and personal career path stuff
    Final interview is basically a does your face fit, where do you see yourself going type of thing

Interview Questions
    • What have you ben doing for the last 2 years - this arose as I'd had a career gap to accompany my wife to India for her job posting.   View Answer
    Found the experience a bit strange as I had been suggested by an old colleague who was working there. Ended up going through all the interviews without any actual formal description of the role.
    Partly this was down to them considering whether to place me in the Team Lead or Developer slot.
    Also there was no discussion of package until after the offer was made. Offer was made by HR who asked what my expectations were.

Worked for Barclays Capital? Contribute to the Community!