Barclays Capital

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through other source and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barclays Capital in November 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was the culminating part of the Global Markets boot camp offered for diversity candidates. I had three interviews on the third day with two MDs and one director from LevFin, Consumer, and Industrials. Each were strictly 30 mins and involved a mix of fit and technical questions. The LevFin MD had an intensive CBA background, so he was posed more technical questions, whereas the other two interviewers posed more leadership/teamwork questions (coming from a target liberal arts school, I was underprepared for the technical questions).

Interview Question – In an LBO, how would we reflect the underwriting of debt on the balance sheet, income statement, and DCF?   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Barclays Capital in November 2011.

Interview Details – Compared to other banks I have interviewed, Barclays analysts and associates who attended my school's campus recruiting event were not that sharp. The phone interview process was pretty typical and standard. The first round F2F interview included more technical questions and brainteasers. Luckily, I had prepared based on information shared on How to Break into Wall Street and Wall Street Oasis, so it was not hard after all.

Interview Question – If a new country was founded, obviously there were no historical records on this country's equity or debt market, no international trade before, no FDI etc. How would you evaluate the credit risk of this country?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Barclays Capital

Interview Details – First round, group discussion. I had two types of case studies.
After the discussion, the representative was elected and required to give a presentation about the result of the presentation to the employees.
If you will not be the representative , there are many chances to speak .
The key point is Q and A after the discussion

Interview Question – What is your contribution in this discussion.   Answer Question

Sydney (Australia)

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Barclays Capital in March 2011.

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruiting, and got invitation to online testing about a week after the closing deadline. Online testing was quite simple, and got through to a surprise phone interview, consisting of very standard behavioural questions.

In the first round interview, I was interviewed in 3 separate interviews of 2 people each, with one being market knowledge, one case interview, and one cultural fit type interview. Unfortunately at this time I was not paying much attention to the market and I blame my failure in the interview to my lack of interest at the time.

Interview Question – How many diapers are sold in Australia every year?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barclays Capital in September 2011.

Interview Details – I only had one phone interview with them. The interviewer obviously was a high class manager of some department(probably HR) But he sounded pretty disrespectful and almost intimidating and I never felt comfortable or cared during the interview. I thought this was funny because they publicly state on their website that "they have low tolerance for bureaucracy, but he sounded exactly like a bureaucrat. I don't know this applies to BC in any other regions but at least for the Japanese division, this might be true. At least that's how I felt. I was really turned off by this fact and the interview didn't go well, not to your surprise.Things he asked me was by educational background and the reasons to apply for the job, etc. There were no tricky questions or anything but typical questions.

Interview Question – How does your major(economics) relate to this job?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at Barclays Capital in October 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed for their Public Finance group, oddly enough, it was primarily behavioral with tidbits about deal flow and general understanding of bonds and fixed-income processes. What was extremely interesting was despite not coming from a target school, or having a Business Admin. major, it was not very technical at all - no math abilities tested, no DCF or even current yield calculations.

Interview Question – Why Public Finance?   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at Barclays Capital in October 2010.

Interview Details – First-Round interview consisted of a one on one personality/interest/behavioral discussion. 1st 20 minutes were for the interviewer to question me, and last 10 minutes were for me to question the interviewer.

Interview Question – How have you had to act as a mediator in a challenging situation?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Barclays Capital in March 2010.

Interview Details – Met with a company rep at a University careers fair. Applied for the position online and got an email a few days later with a time and date for a phone interview. Was interviewed by a low level HR person who did not know much about the role or the division that I was potentially going to be working in. Got an email a few days later saying I was unsuccessful

Interview Question – What frustrates you?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Barclays Capital

Worked for Barclays Capital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays Capital Investment Banking Analyst interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Barclays Capital employees and interview candidates.