Barclays Capital
www.barcap.com London, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Barclays Capital Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Apr 27, 2014

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital in November 2013.

Interview Details – I was invited up to Barclays for the Diversity bootcamp, which is a 3 day program in which you learn about both Investment Banking and Sales & Trading. On the last day, I had a super day, where I met with 3 different MDs for 30min each. The first two interviews were behavioral and the third was technical but the technicals were markets-focused and seemed to test whether I keep up with the news and understand the basics of financial markets.

Interview Question – What was the biggest mistake you've ever made?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Barclays Capital in January 2014.

Interview Details – Typical on-campus recruiting process. I attended a lot of networking events and reached out to a lot of analysts and associates during the fall semester to get a first round interview. Networking is really important at Barclays, as well as being genuine and humble. Make sure to attend the reception dinner the day before to meet the VPs who will potentially be interviewing you. The on-campus interview was pretty standard. No really trick questions. The interview was about trying to find a good fit. My interview happened to be more behavioral than technical, though that isn't always the case.

Interview Question – Why would a company choose to use equity over debt in an acquisition?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital.

Interview Details – Submitted online application in October for Barcap Asia. Got invitations for skype/phone interview/round 1 within 1 week. There are 2 interviews, both included fit and tech Qs, much easier than I expected. Got called back for round 2 (they called it "informational meetup") 2 weeks later/in November.

Interview Question – Round 2 included 2 interviews. The interviewers probably interview 30-40 kids that day, 20 minutes back to back so they were just all over the place. Unless you are extremely outstanding regardless, or you bond very well with the interviewers, you're screwed. It seemed like more about luck. No tech Qs asked.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Barclays Capital in February 2013.

Interview Details – I am from a target school so Barclays recruits directly on campus. I have a solid group of mentors that have interned and currently work at the firm. Already having heard a great deal of information on the internship experience at Barclays, the people, the office, etc. I decided during my junior fall that I was going to apply. I reached out to my mentors to coordinate a visit with the HR department. During my winter break, I spent an entire day at the firm. I met as many people as I could from all different divisions...I-banking, S&T, Syndicate, back office, etc. I established a great deal of e-mail contacts with members of the firm. This is when I realized how networking intensive breaking in to wall-street really is. To get that first interview, to make sure that the HR department gives your resume a second look, you really need to get your name out there. Once back on campus, I attended various networking sessions with the firm--coffee chats, formal presentation, etc. I made sure I always spoke with the campus recruiter. I also made sure to continue keeping contact with the analysts that I had met over break. They offered to look at my resume and really helped me prepare myself for the formal application submission. Sometime in the middle of January, I received an email that I'd been selected for a first round interview. The first round was pretty easy. The interview was very behavioral. I got the run of the mill questions: Tell me about yourself why investment banking, 3 strengths, what's your greatest weakness? I also received very market centered questions like so "what have you been following in the markets". The key to nailing an interview is to really just know yourself well. That sounds so easy, but as I'll explain in a bit, i actually messed this up in my final round. You really need to know how you are trying to market yourself. Especially in my case, I am not a econ major, or an engineering major. As a public policy major, the interviewer really wanted to know why do you want to slave away this summer instead of working on something more applicable to policy? To answer the market questions, I not only described WSJ articles that I had read, but I tied them to my interests in policy and my family. The interviewer also asked about basic corporate valuation methods and asked me if I could explain to her what a DCF was. She then gave me a question that required me to apply my knowledge of financial statements. I do not remember it exactly, but she asked me something along the lines of if I would invest in a company given their weak balance sheet, but strong potential for growth. The final round consisted of two 30-minute interviews, each with 1 MD. One was an alum of my school while the other was not. Both interviews were very behavioral. This followed suit of my first round interview. Although, they dug deeper into the less noticeable parts of my resume. I was asked the same questions about valuing a corporation. One interviewer asked me how I would value a supermarket. The key is to really not get overwhelmed and just throw out all that you know and ask questions to obtain more information. The right questions and and an accurate description of the methods will ensure the interviewer that you know what you're talking about. The people I met at Barclays throughout the process were awesome. The office has a very college feel to it. I visited at a less formal time around the holidays so think less suits, but still bright "fratty" colors. I believe this has roots in the ex-bearstern culture. The interviewers were really personable and although things didn't work out, I really enjoyed the process.

Interview Question – "Say two companies had very similar balance sheets. One is valued higher than the other. Why could this be?"

"How would you value a supermarket?" I explained exactly what I read from the vault guides. I explained how I would value it with multiple methods. I touched upon which method would give me the highest valuation, and which sets the floor (LBO). I then explained how I would value it using a DCF, how I would examine previous transactions, etc.
  Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Barclays Capital in February 2013.

Interview Details – Found the posting through my campus recruiting system. I applied, and was contacted for an interview. I had been in touch with a few analysts who were recent graduates from my school and they gave me some insight on what to expect going in. So nothing was much of a surprise, except that despite a what felt like a great interview led to nothing. No call, no email, nothing.

Interview Question – There really weren't any difficult questions. Standard 'tell me about yourself', 'why barclays' and 'why Investment Banking'   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barclays Capital in January 2013.

Interview Details – Networked with a number of people beforehand - very helpful in getting interviews. First interview was in person, 1 on 1, and mostly behavioral. Interviewer was nice and mentioned what abilities they were looking for up front and said to focus on these. Focused mostly on my experiences and no technical questions in the first round.

Interview Question – What was your biggest challenge and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Barclays Capital

Interview Details – Networked a ton ahead of time, go to a non-core school.

Interview Question – 2 brainteasers, a lot of strategy questions, sell me on a new water company contract for Barclays, Tell me about yourself, Why did you choose your school?, Why do you want to work for us? etc., how would you value a.... questions? What is in a pitch book?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Barclays Capital in January 2013.

Interview Details – There are generally 2 rounds of interviews. The first is a single 30 minute interview. The second round is at least 2 back to back 30 minute interviews. These focus on a mix of technical questions and fit questions. The firm is keen on those who understand the culture and want to be there.

Interview Question – Most Important: Why Barclays?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Barclays Capital.

Interview Details – Very efficient process, first round interview took place on campus and mostly consisted of behavioral questions. Second round at the office, and consisted of 3 interviews. There were basic technical questions and a few more advanced technical questions specific to my previous work experience.

Interview Question – Explain the fractional reserve banking system   Answer Question

Interviewed at Barclays Capital

Interview Details – First round consisted of 2 30 minute phone interviews, with very little technical and mostly behavioral questions. After I was flown out to the office for final round, with a lot of accounting and modeling questions as well as general market knowledge. Overall a good experience and fairly laid back, but I was notified a few days later that I did not get the offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about something that's not on your resume.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Barclays Capital

Worked for Barclays Capital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays Capital Investment Banking Summer Analyst interview questions and advice. All 23 interview reviews posted anonymously by Barclays Capital employees and interview candidates.