Barclays Capital

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Barclays Capital.

Interview Details – Interviewed by all members of the team. Asked about a range of different topics including some I didn't know - the important thing was to be honest about the extent of your knowledge. There were some technical questions as would be expected, although not so many brain teaser type questions. The interview was low-key and put me at ease.

Interview Question – I remember some specific Javascript questions that were a bit outside of my area of expertise, and also some more in-depth DB questions that were challenging.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The salary negotiation went through the recruiter and he gave a number that was good to me. I was able to negotiate a more senior position through the recruiter as well.

Senior Software Developer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Barclays Capital in January 2012.

Interview Details – Positive experience overall: a details and penetrating phone interview with a software developer (standard technical questions, brain quizzes, probabilities), a programming challenge to do in a couple of days followed by an on-site extended interview with four different interviewers (including the manager for the position). Interview focused mainly on core programming skills plus raw intellectual capacities. This means no "technology" question (what does API X? what is Framework Y?). Nice, intelligent people and it seemed a great environment to work in.

Interview Questions

• Probabilities questions involved throwing dices (NDA prevents from giving specifics).   View Answer
  • Find errors in code - a wide range of errors from bad naming to wrong brace or if/else matching (NDA prevents from giving specifics).   View Answer

London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barclays Capital in June 2010.

Interview Details – 4 stages
1) Online technical test
2) Phone interview with technical member of the team
3) Face to face interview with direct manager and his manager.
4) Face to face interview (via video conference) with department head
Technical quiz is done with 30 multiple choice questions, 3 minutes per question, no ability to go back after each one. Several questions consist of sample code. No way to cut and paste code into google - deter cheating. Very effective as you do need to know your stuff.
Phone interview a mix of prepared questions and some discussion over previous projects.
Face to face was yet more technical questions and personal career path stuff
Final interview is basically a does your face fit, where do you see yourself going type of thing

Interview Question – What have you ben doing for the last 2 years - this arose as I'd had a career gap to accompany my wife to India for her job posting.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Found the experience a bit strange as I had been suggested by an old colleague who was working there. Ended up going through all the interviews without any actual formal description of the role.
Partly this was down to them considering whether to place me in the Team Lead or Developer slot.
Also there was no discussion of package until after the offer was made. Offer was made by HR who asked what my expectations were.

Worked for Barclays Capital? Contribute to the Community!