Barclays Capital Software Developer Interview Questions

3.3

13 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at Barclays Capital in February 2012.

There are 2 round 1:1 interviews. Go through the resume first and then they asked general behavior questions like why barclays and what you can bring to barclays. They probably rated everyone based on your answer. But 2 weeks later got the letter stating you would not get the offer.

Other Interview Reviews for Barclays Capital

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barclays Capital in June 2010.

Initial phone interview was pretty simple. I was asked Java core, database and web development questions. I was called back immediately for a 1 on 1. I interviewed with 3 people who basically asked me the same type of questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a design pattern you know and how you have used it in the past.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Barclays Capital in November 2009.

I am still waiting on their offer; however, I was notified that I was a finalist candidate and therefore I believe to have a good chance.

My first round interview was with a director at the technology group. It was quite long (almost one hour) and the guy asked me a lot of technical questions, mostly about server infrastructure and high-level systems related issues.

My second interview was only about 5 minutes. He just went through my resume, asked me some q's and told me "I liked what I saw". A week later I got an email from HR telling me I was in the final selection process.

Overall, technical knowledge is necessary and they seem to be very flexible given that it is a new company.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about how to avoid data corruption in relational databases. (very broadly, not specifics)   View Answers (2)

Software Developer Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barclays Capital in October 2008.

I started my interview process by searching for companies online looking foe candidates for technology positions. I applied to barclays. Initially I was contacted by one of the recruiters through email. I was asked to set up time. I had initial discussion about the job responsibilities, salary, location, reasons for changhing job etc. with the recruiter. She then set up a time for me to talk to a hiring manager. I got a call next week for the interview. The process lasted for 45 minutes. I was asked about the work i do, my background, reasons for changing job, some technical questions, puzzles. I was asked to get back in a day or two with results.

Software Developer Interview

This is about Prague (Czech Republic) development office of BarCap. Once you get passed the 3rd party recruiter company, where the initial process might be very different, BarCap inverview and hiring process is quite established - everything is happening fast enough, always as agreed with the applicant and on purpose.

Interview Questions
    • BarCap is usually requiring prooven experience in certain technologies, like SQL/T-SQL, multithreading, etc. and they are seriously asking about it on interviews and are canceling applicants with not enough knowledge, experience in these technologies.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barclays Capital in July 2011.

Have been contacted by recruiter and immediately given Web-based test consisted of 30 questions. Test should have been completed within 20 minutes. After getting 95% on test results, recruiter called back to me and asked if I want to go further and secure interview time with BarCamp at Canary Wharf office.
    Within next 15 days I got interview at Canary Wharf office of BarCap. The person interviewed me was Team Lead of development sub-group. Interviewer was relaxed and made the atmosphere comfortable for me. Questions were mostly on past experience and general computer science topics like Agile Methodologies, C# syntax, C# lambda expressions, collections, nullable types, web services, and multi-threading

Interview Questions
    • Why are you studying MS Computer Science if you got 1st class degree in Applied Math at your undergrad   View Answer

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Barclays Capital in April 2010.

Everything started with a call by a recruiter who fixed up a phone interview the very next day. Answered many technical questions related to the domain that I applied for. Did pretty well and landed up with a 1:1 interview less than a week later

The 1:1 interview was pretty good, interviewers are professional and know what they are talking about. However they really can make the candidate feel nervous. So I got rather slightly flustered and answered some of the technical questions badly. Might be why I did not get the offer after all.

One advice to candidates will be to brush up on whatever technical skills that is stated the the JD, and stay calm and composed through-out.

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barclays Capital in March 2010.

Written technical test held by the recruiter. Brief chat on the past working experience with recruiter then introduced to interview with employer. Very compact interview process within 2 days. First day involves meeting multiple groups of prospect hiring managers. Java related technical questions, very basic concept, static, final, inner class, how to declare instance of inner class, what's common usage. How to define a GUI - skeleton code. Asked to describe algorithm/data structure to modle a building in virtual reality application. Write down skeleton code for Shell script to handle log investigation. Second day sommoned in again to further verify the technical skill set expected by the interested hiring manager. Application of analytical skills in a real-time support scenario, given a architecture diagram, asked to explain the problem diagnostics process. Asked to explain TCP/UDP and related tools. Very quick decision after process is completed.

Interview Questions
    • Write down code to calculate Fibonacci in 2 ways - then asked to explain complexity.   View Answer
    • Provide comment on your previous line manager - strength and part that needs to be improved.   View Answer
    In this case negotiation was delegated to recruiter so might not be applicable to other candidates.

Software Developer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Barclays Capital in November 2009.

I was approached by a Headhunter for a profile at Barclays Capital in Singapore. My current profile matched well with the one offered. I decided to take the interview. My resume was shortlisted and I first had a telephonic interview.

Questions in the telephonic interview were fairly difficult. It was a C# profile. Questions began with explaining past experience and topics covered were threading, event handling, delegates, winforms, database connectivity. I could answer 80% of the questions.

A few days later I received a call from the consultant saying I was shorlisted and invited for a personal interview. There was another round of tech interview- similar to the first one covering more or less the same topics. Another round was the HR round which consisted of questions like why Barclays, why do you wish to leave your current job,etc.

Two days later, I got a confirmation offer.

Interview Questions
    • In WCF, how would you throw an event from the service provider to the client side? How will the client answer this   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barclays Capital in September 2009.

i was scheduled for a telephonic interview after applying online to a consultant. He asked various questions like expected salary, why are you looking to change etc., The telephonic interview lasted for 40 minutes during which I was asked questions about classes, exceptions, templates, stl, multithreading. I have answered approximately 80% of the questions. Still waiting for the result.