Barclays Global Investors

Relevance Date Difficulty

Engineering Interview

Engineering
San Francisco, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barclays Global Investors in June 2010.

Interview Details – Interview consisted of two phone screens by members of the team. One was the project lead and the other was a senior engineer. The project lead threw me soft skill problems and the senior engineer asked me high level technical questions.

Afterwards, I was invited to the corporate headquarters for on site interviews. I performed a technical interview consisting of high level problems and programming with two members of the engineering team. Afterwards i spoke with the project lead once again.

Interview Question – Overall the questions weren't very difficult. Asked to explain Javas type system, object oriented programming, design patterns, data structures, search algorithms.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As a new graduate hire, I wasn't able to negotiate anything.

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant
San Francisco, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Barclays Global Investors in November 2009.

Interview Details – contacted via email by internal recruiter, then scheduled a phone interview with recruiter before being brought in to meet the team. once in house, met with recruiter first to go over interviewing process and was in a conference room doing relay interviews with team. first came one of the managers who was not prepared to interview, continued to rave about current employee and how no one can replace this individual. then met with individual in current position, discussed responsibilities and was thanked for my time. recruiters come back to show me out. polite, quick in and out, about 2 hours.

Interview Question – what experience do you have working with xyz department, be specific in the tasks you have experience in and how you handle under pressure   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
San Francisco, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Barclays Global Investors in September 2009.

Interview Details – Positive and professional experience. Though no offer was extended, the lines of communication remained open.

Marketing Interview

Marketing
San Francisco, CA

I applied through other source and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Barclays Global Investors in September 2008.

Interview Details – Saw the job posted on a public site, applied and was called almost immediately by an HR person for a standard 30-minute phone screen. I ignored this person's subtle condescension and did my best to answer questions quickly. I apparently passed, because an invitation to meet with the hiring manager arrived the next day, which I accepted. All fine so far (minus the "too-cool-for-school" attitude of the HR person, this was all a very standard, perfectly acceptable process).

At the agreed-upon time/date, I showed up on time for my one-hour interview with the hiring manager. The meeting went on for the hour. The next day, I wrote the usual polite "thank you e-mail." About 4 weeks later, I got a voice-mail from their HR dept saying they had "forgotten about me," but that they wanted to make sure I knew they had moved forward with someone else. And that I should feel comfortable applying for other jobs in that department.

Summary: The process was handled well, except for the follow-through, which was nearly non-existent. What follow-through did materialize was bungled spectacularly.

Interview Question – Walk me through your employment history.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Barclays Global Investors in September 2008.

Interview Details – Three interview sections, in one interview.
1. Java section, standard scjp questions, design questions
2. sql section - lots of sql (pointer, transaction, join, db types)
3. sql design section - know the 1,2,3 normal forms
4. fuzzy-wuzzy section. Standard "when did you do something that was wrong" or "how did you work with people you didn't like" - always be super-specific, not "i would do this" but real instances (or vividly made up ones).

You really need to know sql - they ask about general concepts, some tough programming questions (not, "insert this into a table") - also know about optimisation techniques

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – For the team that i applied into:
They're a bank, push for more money.
They need both sql & java people, which is rare, so push for more.
Really know sql for this, they ask some tricky questions.

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
San Francisco, CA

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barclays Global Investors in February 2009.

Interview Details – The process was efficient, transparent and professional. I received email from the (internal) recruiter within 24 hours of applying online (from employee referral link). I was given an overview of the process up front: 1) phone screen by the recruiter, 2) phone interview with hiring manager; 3) two half day interviews with team (with the option to not be invited back for the second day). I made it through the hiring manager. She was impressed but said I'd be a better fit for another organization and asked the recruiter facilitate an intro. The recruiter told me she would pass my resume on for any posting I saw and was interested in. At Barclays, internal referrals go a long way. The interviews were all behavioral -- e.g., "give me an example when" type questions. All employees are trained in this methodology. It's a super energized, ambitious but with low ego tolerance environment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to manage a difficult employee and provide uncomfortable coaching. What did you do and how did it turn out?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you were asked to take on a project with little or no expertise or background in the topic, how did you approach it and what was the outcome?   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Operations
San Francisco, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Barclays Global Investors in February 2007.

Interview Details – Typically will meet multiple people during interview process spread out over mutliple days. Group consensus is important.

Interview Question – Be prepared to discuss industry and why you want to work at BGI.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Difficult to negotiate since salaries tend to be on lower end and much of compensation is on annual bonus.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Barclays Global Investors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays Global Investors interview questions and advice in San Francisco, CA. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Barclays Global Investors employees and interview candidates.