Barclays Wealth

Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Intern - Private Wealth Management Interview

Summer Intern - Private Wealth Management
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Barclays Wealth in January 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted the online application - Did the online tests. Was asked to organise a time for a phone interview. The phone interview was awful - no space for actually talking to the interviewer. They just asked a bunch of questions and said they could repeat the question but it was up to us to interpret it. They gave no indication of how much they wanted to hear and when they had heard enough.

Interview Question – No difficult questions - just things like "how do you respond to feedback?" With an unrelated question next so no follow up or anything.   Answer Question

Legal and Compliance Intern Interview

Legal and Compliance Intern
London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barclays Wealth in June 2013.

Interview Details – Called to come to the Canary Wharf office (1 Churchill Place). Very relaxed interview. Not pressuring at all.

Interview Question – How do you think banking will change given new regulations/requirements (Remember - this was a compliance interview)   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Barclays Wealth in April 2010.

Interview Details – three rounds of interview, quick turnaaround time

Interview Question – what is the number of ppl travelling on a tube per day   View Answer

Negotiation Details – less than 2 weeks

Resource Partner Interview

Resource Partner
London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Barclays Wealth in November 2010.

Interview Details – telephone screen, interview, meet with business

Interview Question – competency based questions - very standard   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barclays Wealth.

Interview Details – 1. Online application - posted a CV through internal website for vacancies. I was coming off a graduate scheme and needed a permanent placement. I got a call to schedule a telephone interview
2. Telephone interview - lasted about 30 minutes, started off with an 10 minute introductory chat about myself and what I had achieved so far during graduate scheme. The manager then explained about the role and herself. remaining 20 minutes spent on scenario based questions. Tell me about a situation where you...type questions. After the phone call I was notified that I was invited to a face to face interview.
3. Face to Face interview - lasted a few hours. Two interviewers, one who would be my line manager and the other was head of the team. More scenario questions followed which were the standard run of the mill type questions I had prepared for. My line manager was very kind and encouraging but the other interviewer was a bit cold (kind of good cop bad cop routine I guess). I was notified afterwards that I would be offered a position as a junior on that team.

Interview Question – It was quite a time ago and nothing stands out as particularly unexpected or difficult, they were the standard scenario based questions i.e. tell me about a time where you had to deal with a difficult person and how did you handle this situation?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't really know any better to negotiate, I was so happy to land a job but now I know better because they got me on a low salary by offering me just a bit higher than the graduate salary I was on originally.

Graduate Analyst Interview

Graduate Analyst
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Barclays Wealth.

Interview Details – At first I filled in their online application form, which asked for grades, experiences and included open questions such as why are you applying for this role? What recent development do you know in the industry ? Your greatest achievement and an example of successful relationship. After I was invited to the numerical test and subsequently to the verbal test. Later almost in 3 months, they invited me to the phone interview. It took near 30 minutes and was mainly about my competences , knowledge of the industry and motivation. I was also asked about my knowledge of CFA. The lady asked me a lot about my team experience, especially when I was a leader and exactly I did being at this role. She asked if I ever had to prove something and state an opinion against a majority.
I got the answer for my results after a month after the phone interview. They are quite slow.

Interview Question – The most difficult question for me was about an I article I read about the industry. The interviewer was interested in details like what did I derive for myself from this article? How I felt about it?   Answer Question

Private Banking Interview

Private Banking
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Barclays Wealth in April 2012.

Interview Details – Initial application on Internet - fine provided you do your homework, including on the psychometric testing. Then a telephone interview - again fine, with questions such as "why infancial services' why private banking; why Barclays Wealth"? Then onto a face-to-face interview with 2 private bankers asking much the same - trying to get to know you as a candidate, as well as testing out a bit of technical knowledge. The clincher is the Assessment Day, if you get that far. This is a 1/2 day comprising written psychometric tests, 2 x face-to-face interviews, a client role play and the presentation of a business plan. It is hard graft and will contain a mix of technical and competency based questions. All of it was friendly though, and done very professionally. It was all done very efficiently up to this point as well. Hiring decisions are normally made after this phase but in my case I was asked for a further interview and things stalled. I was told that eveything was going well and that this was the final hurdle. I attended the interview, which I thought went well, although I could have done to establish rapport, only to be told that they wanted someone with prior experience - not a satisfactory answer for someone on a programme aimed at people new to the industry.

Interview Question – Technnical: What is happening to the oil price?   Answer Question

Vice President Interview

Vice President
London, England (UK)

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barclays Wealth in February 2011.

Interview Details – phone interview from non reporting individual first
second intereview with hiring manager and head of dealing
primarily focused on university years and reasons joined industry ... fine for someone with 1-2 yrs experience but I am 13yrs and had much more interesting relevant things to talk about ... felt like they were interviewing from the book of interview for dummies.

Interview Question – why I chose to get into banking 13 yrs after the event   View Answer

Reason for Declining – platform did not seem compelling

IT Auditor Interview

IT Auditor
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Barclays Wealth in September 2010.

Interview Details – very large corporate offices, impersonal but that's expected of investment banking environment. interviewed by two audit directors, interview was very rushed as it started late and the meeting room was scheduled for other meetings after the interview.

Interview Question – what are your development areas, both professionally and personally as relating to work?   Answer Question

Private Banking Executive Interview

Private Banking Executive
London, England (UK)

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barclays Wealth in June 2010.

Interview Details – Found a vacancy of interest on the firm's career website and applied online. Didn't hear anything, and then about 7 weeks later was phoned to arrange an interview.

Round 1 of the interview involved a meeting with a Business Partner and an AVP, which lasted about an hour. Even mixture of competency based questions about my professional experience, and more general questions about my hobbies, interests and ambitions. The interviewers were very probably the most pleasant I have ever experienced; really felt like they were trying to get to know me rather than trying to catch me out like other firm's like to do. Was phoned later that afternoon to arrange the second stage interview.

Round 2 of the interview was two back-to-back meetings with 4 Private Bankers (2 attended each meetings). More focus on my strengths and weaknesses, as I think the Bankers were assessing which team I would be best suited for if I was offered the position. More focus on my hard skills, such as discussing examples where I have managed a project, prepared or delivered presentations etc...

Was phoned the next day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me and example of a time when you had a disagreement with someone you knew was in the wrong?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you advocated change?   Answer Question

Worked for Barclays Wealth? Contribute to the Community!