Barclays Wealth

3.2

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Change Manager - Vice President (Contract)/Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Barclays Wealth in September 2014.

The role initially came through a recruitment agency. After about 1 week the agency then contacted me stating that I have an interview, discussion with the agency was there was only to be one interview round.

The agent then when to book the interview time slot, which is when I learnt that the roles processed on the Barclays system and that I was one of 4 interviewees that they knew of. The agent kept missing booking a interview time slot because by the time he had confirmed a date and time with me the next available slot had been booked. In the end I told the agent just book any available time slot.

I was interviewed by 3 separate people consecutively, two of the interviewers were contractors and one was a permanent. It was a unusual interview, in how informal it was (which is unusual for Barclays who are known for their competency based interviews)

Each of the interviewers was very nice and it was easy to see yourself working with them. The Barclays culture professional culture came across from each and they were honest and upfront about the workload and expected long hours.

Straight after the interview, as I walked out the door, I realized how light the interview questions were and how unusual this was for Barclay’s, this gave me the impression that they had already decided on who was filling the role and interview was just something they had to do.

It then took two weeks before any response came back. I had followed up with the agent during this time, the agent blamed Barclays for the delay. I was called by the agent stating that I had gotten through to the second round of interviews, then 45 minutes later the agent rang me back and told me no, I did not get through to the second round of interviews and that Barclays had mixed up the people going through to the second round.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between functional and non-functional requirements?   View Answer
    • Tell me why you want to work for Barclays   Answer Question

Summer Intern - Private Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Barclays Wealth in January 2014.

Submitted the online application - Did the online tests. Was asked to organise a time for a phone interview. The phone interview was awful - no space for actually talking to the interviewer. They just asked a bunch of questions and said they could repeat the question but it was up to us to interpret it. They gave no indication of how much they wanted to hear and when they had heard enough.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions - just things like "how do you respond to feedback?" With an unrelated question next so no follow up or anything.   Answer Question

Legal and Compliance Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barclays Wealth in June 2013.

Called to come to the Canary Wharf office (1 Churchill Place). Very relaxed interview. Not pressuring at all.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think banking will change given new regulations/requirements (Remember - this was a compliance interview)   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barclays Wealth.

1. Online application - posted a CV through internal website for vacancies. I was coming off a graduate scheme and needed a permanent placement. I got a call to schedule a telephone interview
    2. Telephone interview - lasted about 30 minutes, started off with an 10 minute introductory chat about myself and what I had achieved so far during graduate scheme. The manager then explained about the role and herself. remaining 20 minutes spent on scenario based questions. Tell me about a situation where you...type questions. After the phone call I was notified that I was invited to a face to face interview.
    3. Face to Face interview - lasted a few hours. Two interviewers, one who would be my line manager and the other was head of the team. More scenario questions followed which were the standard run of the mill type questions I had prepared for. My line manager was very kind and encouraging but the other interviewer was a bit cold (kind of good cop bad cop routine I guess). I was notified afterwards that I would be offered a position as a junior on that team.

Interview Questions
    • It was quite a time ago and nothing stands out as particularly unexpected or difficult, they were the standard scenario based questions i.e. tell me about a time where you had to deal with a difficult person and how did you handle this situation?   Answer Question
    Didn't really know any better to negotiate, I was so happy to land a job but now I know better because they got me on a low salary by offering me just a bit higher than the graduate salary I was on originally.

Graduate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Barclays Wealth.

At first I filled in their online application form, which asked for grades, experiences and included open questions such as why are you applying for this role? What recent development do you know in the industry ? Your greatest achievement and an example of successful relationship. After I was invited to the numerical test and subsequently to the verbal test. Later almost in 3 months, they invited me to the phone interview. It took near 30 minutes and was mainly about my competences , knowledge of the industry and motivation. I was also asked about my knowledge of CFA. The lady asked me a lot about my team experience, especially when I was a leader and exactly I did being at this role. She asked if I ever had to prove something and state an opinion against a majority.
    I got the answer for my results after a month after the phone interview. They are quite slow.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question for me was about an I article I read about the industry. The interviewer was interested in details like what did I derive for myself from this article? How I felt about it?   Answer Question

Analyst, Wealth Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Barclays Wealth in January 2013.

First, numerical and verbal tests online, then telephone interview (behavioral questions), then full day assessment center in London HQ consisting of numerical test again, role play, group presentation and interviews with hiring managers and HR. The process went smoothly and HR was good at following up with the results. The role play can be difficult, but you should relax and think quickly on your feet.

Interview Questions
    • If I wanted to buy a house and I have money in different currencies, which currency is the most beneficial for me to use?   View Answer

Private Banking Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Barclays Wealth in April 2012.

Initial application on Internet - fine provided you do your homework, including on the psychometric testing. Then a telephone interview - again fine, with questions such as "why infancial services' why private banking; why Barclays Wealth"? Then onto a face-to-face interview with 2 private bankers asking much the same - trying to get to know you as a candidate, as well as testing out a bit of technical knowledge. The clincher is the Assessment Day, if you get that far. This is a 1/2 day comprising written psychometric tests, 2 x face-to-face interviews, a client role play and the presentation of a business plan. It is hard graft and will contain a mix of technical and competency based questions. All of it was friendly though, and done very professionally. It was all done very efficiently up to this point as well. Hiring decisions are normally made after this phase but in my case I was asked for a further interview and things stalled. I was told that eveything was going well and that this was the final hurdle. I attended the interview, which I thought went well, although I could have done to establish rapport, only to be told that they wanted someone with prior experience - not a satisfactory answer for someone on a programme aimed at people new to the industry.

Vice President Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barclays Wealth in February 2011.

phone interview from non reporting individual first
    second intereview with hiring manager and head of dealing
    primarily focused on university years and reasons joined industry ... fine for someone with 1-2 yrs experience but I am 13yrs and had much more interesting relevant things to talk about ... felt like they were interviewing from the book of interview for dummies.

Interview Questions
    • why I chose to get into banking 13 yrs after the event   View Answer

platform did not seem compelling

Resource Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Barclays Wealth in November 2010.

telephone screen, interview, meet with business

IT Auditor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barclays Wealth in September 2010.

very large corporate offices, impersonal but that's expected of investment banking environment. interviewed by two audit directors, interview was very rushed as it started late and the meeting room was scheduled for other meetings after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • what are your development areas, both professionally and personally as relating to work?   Answer Question