Barnard College

Updated Dec 9, 2014

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Barnard College

Intl Programs Coordinator Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnard College.

E-mail, phone call, then campus interview. The person was great. It was a very conversational interview; a lot of the questions involved talking about the mission of the college, understanding the structure and community of the college, and explaining what my contribution would be to their community.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected question. Questions were about experience, qualifications, desire to work at Barnard specifically. It helps if you know about the College and have some ties to women's groups, so they can see you're dedicated to their mission.   Answer Question

Math Help Room Tutor Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnard College.

You need to submit your resume, unofficial transcript and a paragraph describing your interest in this tutor position. You have to complete Calculus I and II in Columbia in order to apply.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation because it is an on-campus job.

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnard College in June 2011.

There was one unscheduled phone interview where I was asked some general questions about configuring Linux which lasted about 30 minutes. There was one on-site interview which lasted two hours; for the first hour, I did a technical exam on a Linux laptop, for the second, I met with three current IT employees (a potential coworker in the same position I was interviewing for, his boss, and his boss's boss), and for the third hour, I met with the Director of User Services. A week later, I had a one-hour on-site interview with the VP for IT (boss's boss's boss).

Interview Questions
    • Installing and configure an Apache HTTP Server to serve two name-based virtual hosts without using any online documentation.   View Answer
    • Disable SELinux.   View Answer
    • Create a directory in which every file a user creates has a specified group owner rather than a group owner of the primary GID of the creating user.   View Answer
    I was initially asked what my requirements are. My boss then gave me 10% less than that because 10% is automatically contributed towards retirement.