Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Updated Nov 26, 2014
Updated Nov 26, 2014

2.7

Staff RN Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in November 2014.

Received a call from HR day after I applied to set up first interview. First interview was 2 days later. Received a call the same day after interviewing with HR to set up interview with floor manager. Interview with floor manager was 3 days later. I received an offer 3 days after my second interview.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. The interview was almost too easy. So easy I thought there was no way I would receive an offer due to lack of interest from floor manager.   Answer Question
    Not much room for negotiation. Barnes has a pay grid they stick to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Barnes-Jewish Hospital.

HR sets up a phone I interview followed by face to face with Nurse Manager. The process took about 1-2 weeks. It does help if you are referred by someone from the inside.

Interview Questions
    There is very little room for negotiation. There is a strict grid that they stick to.

Manager Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Barnes-Jewish Hospital.

The overall process began with a telephone screen, followed by several group, panel, and individual interviews. The interviews were both straightforward and relaxed, and I was met with a sense of dignity and respect. Very thorough and fair process, which I believe gave me significant insight into the culture of the organization. This is a a very high performing organization, and truly talented managers are critical.

Pharmacy Technician II Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Barnes-Jewish Hospital.

The HR lady was very rude. But the people in the department was fair and to the point. You have to certified to get into this position. The interview did not take long at all. Interviewed with two people. They didn't start me off with the right pay it was less than what I was entitled to.

None

Program Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes-Jewish Hospital.

Phone interview with HR was initial step and followed by panel interview with potential team members. Final interview was with director.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were standard behavioral based related to projects.   Answer Question
    Salary was at top of range but low compared to other industries, as expected at non-profit. However, work life balance made up for lower salary.

Patient Care Tech Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in September 2012.

Pretty simple. Applied online, HR phone call, interview with hiring manager, group inteview.
     Applied online then HR contacted me by phone two weeks later asking if I was still interestered. Scheduled an in person interview for a few days later. First interview was with hiring manager (nursing manager of the unit). This interview was super laid back, we talked casually for a few minutes then she asked me about my self and then asked for an example of why I decided to work in health care. She then showed me around the unit and met potential coworkers. Hiring manager explained that they were conducting a few more interviews and she would contact me and let me know about the next phase of the process which is a group interview. 4 days later I was contacted for the group interview. Again, group very friendly and asked scripted behavior based questions and wrote down what I said. Manager said they would be in contact if they wished to proceed. Week later HR called with offer. Then didnt hear from them for 2 weeks. Had to call twice in order to schedule background and drug screen and new employee cultural orientation.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you encountered an unexpected obstacle outwork, how did you handle it, what was the outcome?   View Answer
    No negotiation.

Lead Charge Nurse1 Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in March 2012.

The charge nurse interview was in two parts. I interviewed with one of the nursing directors as well as a second panel type interview with the nursing manager as well as about 4 other charge nurses and managers from the hospital. I was also able to shadow a nurse on the floor to help me see what the environment is like. Interview questions were open ended and experience related. I felt that the staff on the floor was very open and friendly. They told me what was good and bad about the floor. Teamwork seemed to be above average but employee satisfaction seemed average.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were really unexpected. Expect questions about how you would handle different situations, or how would you expect to handle coming into a floor from an outside hospital.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in November 2011.

helped to know somebody.

No negotiation.

Staff Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in March 2011.

I applied online and received a call from a recruiter. I had a phone interview, then was invited to come in for a face to face interview. From there, I had an interview with the Lead Charge Nurse of th unit. She offered me a position and I accepted. They still had to do a background check and a company physical with drug test. Since I was on a medication that would show up on a drug test, I brought a note from my physician, the prescription bottle, and receipt from the pharmacy. After "failing" the drug test, I was told that everything would be put on hold while my drug test would be verified by gas chromatography to make sure that was really the medicine I was taking. This took 2 weeks. After the results came back and they proved I was taking my prescribed medication, I had to have the pharmacy receipt faxed to the occupational health doctor. This was the same receipt I brought with me whem I took the drug test and the occupational health nurse refused to take. After this, I signed my papers and started orientation within the next week or so.

Interview Questions
    • What are your strengths and weaknesses?   View Answer
    • Describe a difficult situation at your last job and how did you handle it?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation--they made an offtake it or leave it.

Resident Physician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes-Jewish Hospital in November 2010.

Match system. Interviews for internal medicine were extremely low pressure. If they invite you to interview, it's because of your test scores, alma mater, and/or research. Ranked this residency program #1 and matched.