Barnes & Noble Barista Interview Questions

Updated Apr 20, 2015

2.1

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Filled out an application online, then had an in-person interview with the manager. I initially wanted the position as a bookkeeper and submitted applications for them both, but I interviewed for the barista position in hopes of later being able to cross train. Decent company with decent employee perks, obviously not the best pay (minimum wage). Seemed to be a positive, team-oriented company with lots of friendly co-workers.

Interview Questions

• Asked me about myself and a few other questions, nothing too personal as I think she was trying to hire someone quickly. Said she'd get back to me as she had a few more people to interview, and then offered me the job and invited me for a training session by the end of the week.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Starting salary of $7.50. No tips.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

They called to set up an interview a few days after I applied. I was interviewed with another applicant (applying for a different job), and then scheduled for a follow up interview a week later when we were done. The 2nd interview was with the head of the cafe to go over all the questions again and all the expectations. I was called a few months later.

Interview Questions

• Several questions related to past work (retail/customer) experience. How you handled problems, helped during special circumstances, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in September 2013.

Interview

The job interview process was very fair i walk in there and i was glad the manager was there he said he was short and ask if i had experience as a barista once i said yes he just checked my class schedule and said he would interview a few more people before call me with an offer.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was the names and how to to do every drink in the cafe.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Boulder, CO) in June 2013.

Interview

Laid back. Multiple managers are present in the interview. You are also required to interview with managers from all departments to be sure that you a good fit for the team. Casual dress. Casual atmosphere. Managers tend to be very friendly and laid back with their questions. Customer service oriented.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your best quality?   1 Answer

Barista Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Interviewed first with the Cafe Manager and later the same day with the Store Manager. Both of them were pretty relaxed and casual (I got the feeling they were in need of someone in a hurry). They asked me pretty basic questions--example of superior customer service, working well with coworkers. They asked if I had any experience as a barista and availability.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation where both a manager and a customer require your attention?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Haha, no real negotiation. If you have experience, you might be able to add $.50 or so to your hourly wage.

Anonymous Employee in Skokie, IL

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Skokie, IL) in June 2012.

Interview

The interview was decent. They should come up with different questions other than the generic "have you ever encountered a situation where...", those are such bore and don't really give insight as to what kind of person is being hired. The managers who do the interviews aren't exactly considerate of the questions potential employees have. Simply dismissing concerns will cause what happened to me, quitting after 2 weeks of working. If someone asks twice why they weren't given the position they put down on their application it's a big red hint, take it. Don't lie and say you need to hire Batista because you're short on staff and then have the new employee find out during orientation that someone else got hired as bookseller. There's no use in fooling anyone, the truth gets around eventually.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever been in a situation where a customer was being difficult?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate, I even told the managers who did the interviews that I wouldn't be a good fit for the cafe and they simply dismissed that. I think I'd know my own limits and capabilities and if I'm letting you know then you probably should take my heed. I advise anyone interested in applying their to be firm with the position you want. If you want to be a bookseller tell them that you do, they'll say that you can do a transfer from cafe to bookfloor in a few months, that's a lie. There are people who have worked in the cafe for over a year and still haven't gotten a transfer. Also keep in mind that working in the cafe you only get minimum wage, which, in all honesty is not nearly enough to make up for all the work that is needed to be done in the cafe.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Bethesda, MD) in June 2012.

Interview

Filled out an application at the customer service desk and briefly spoke with the store manager; was hired for a cafe position on the spot. Was only asked about education and availability in terms of hours and days per week I could work (applied for a summer job). Did not negotiate pay; when asked about what would be acceptable, I said anything - and was offered just above minimum wage in my state.

Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (DeKalb, IL) in September 2011.

Interview

It was a relatively long process for a part time position. I applied in the store (you now apply online only) and after multiple check ins with the store manager, I was finally given a first interview after about three weeks. I met with the assistant manager. That same day they asked to set up a second interview with the store manager. After that interview I had to wait a couple weeks before finding out I was offered the position.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Chicago, IL) in September 2010.

Interview

Interviewers were led to the cafe and told to wait for management to arrive. There I met with the two other potential people and got to know them. The store manager as well as cafe supervisor sat in on the interview, where we were asked why we wanted this position, prior experience, and whether or not we are capable of long hours on our feet.

Barista Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2009.

Interview

I applied to Barnes and Noble because I love books, but they only had a barista position open (which is fine because I love coffee too). I went to the customer service desk where I asked to fill out an application, and I actually got to meet a manager. We scheduled a interview time for the next week. I her inside the coffee shop in the Barnes and Noble for the interview. I was asked a couple questions, like how I deal with stressful situations, how I would deal with a coworker that was rude to me, and how I deal with customers with high expectations. The lady that interviewed me was really sweet, she just wanted to make sure I would be comfortable in a position where I would have to deal with the occasional rude customer. I was asked to describe some of my best traits. And also why I wanted to work at Barnes and Noble. There were a lot of open ended questions, so you really could tell the interviewer as much as you wanted to about yourself. They were interviewing a million different people at the time, so I didn't feel too bad they didn't call me back (the manager even said not to take it personally if I didn't get a call back because there were so many people interviewing for the same position). It seems like it would be a great place to work.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a co-worker that was extremely rude to you.   2 Answers
    • How would you deal with a rude customer?   1 Answer