Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Barista Interview Questions

2.1

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Barista Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

They called to set up an interview a few days after I applied. I was interviewed with another applicant (applying for a different job), and then scheduled for a follow up interview a week later when we were done. The 2nd interview was with the head of the cafe to go over all the questions again and all the expectations. I was called a few months later.

Interview Questions
  • Several questions related to past work (retail/customer) experience. How you handled problems, helped during special circumstances, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

The job interview process was very fair i walk in there and i was glad the manager was there he said he was short and ask if i had experience as a barista once i said yes he just checked my class schedule and said he would interview a few more people before call me with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was the names and how to to do every drink in the cafe.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interviewed first with the Cafe Manager and later the same day with the Store Manager. Both of them were pretty relaxed and casual (I got the feeling they were in need of someone in a hurry). They asked me pretty basic questions--example of superior customer service, working well with coworkers. They asked if I had any experience as a barista and availability.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a situation where both a manager and a customer require your attention?   View Answer
    Haha, no real negotiation. If you have experience, you might be able to add $.50 or so to your hourly wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skokie, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Skokie, IL

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2012.

The interview was decent. They should come up with different questions other than the generic "have you ever encountered a situation where...", those are such bore and don't really give insight as to what kind of person is being hired. The managers who do the interviews aren't exactly considerate of the questions potential employees have. Simply dismissing concerns will cause what happened to me, quitting after 2 weeks of working. If someone asks twice why they weren't given the position they put down on their application it's a big red hint, take it. Don't lie and say you need to hire Batista because you're short on staff and then have the new employee find out during orientation that someone else got hired as bookseller. There's no use in fooling anyone, the truth gets around eventually.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever been in a situation where a customer was being difficult?   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate, I even told the managers who did the interviews that I wouldn't be a good fit for the cafe and they simply dismissed that. I think I'd know my own limits and capabilities and if I'm letting you know then you probably should take my heed. I advise anyone interested in applying their to be firm with the position you want. If you want to be a bookseller tell them that you do, they'll say that you can do a transfer from cafe to bookfloor in a few months, that's a lie. There are people who have worked in the cafe for over a year and still haven't gotten a transfer. Also keep in mind that working in the cafe you only get minimum wage, which, in all honesty is not nearly enough to make up for all the work that is needed to be done in the cafe.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bethesda, MD

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2012.

Filled out an application at the customer service desk and briefly spoke with the store manager; was hired for a cafe position on the spot. Was only asked about education and availability in terms of hours and days per week I could work (applied for a summer job). Did not negotiate pay; when asked about what would be acceptable, I said anything - and was offered just above minimum wage in my state.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DeKalb, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DeKalb, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2011.

It was a relatively long process for a part time position. I applied in the store (you now apply online only) and after multiple check ins with the store manager, I was finally given a first interview after about three weeks. I met with the assistant manager. That same day they asked to set up a second interview with the store manager. After that interview I had to wait a couple weeks before finding out I was offered the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2010.

Interviewers were led to the cafe and told to wait for management to arrive. There I met with the two other potential people and got to know them. The store manager as well as cafe supervisor sat in on the interview, where we were asked why we wanted this position, prior experience, and whether or not we are capable of long hours on our feet.

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2009.

I applied to Barnes and Noble because I love books, but they only had a barista position open (which is fine because I love coffee too). I went to the customer service desk where I asked to fill out an application, and I actually got to meet a manager. We scheduled a interview time for the next week. I her inside the coffee shop in the Barnes and Noble for the interview. I was asked a couple questions, like how I deal with stressful situations, how I would deal with a coworker that was rude to me, and how I deal with customers with high expectations. The lady that interviewed me was really sweet, she just wanted to make sure I would be comfortable in a position where I would have to deal with the occasional rude customer. I was asked to describe some of my best traits. And also why I wanted to work at Barnes and Noble. There were a lot of open ended questions, so you really could tell the interviewer as much as you wanted to about yourself. They were interviewing a million different people at the time, so I didn't feel too bad they didn't call me back (the manager even said not to take it personally if I didn't get a call back because there were so many people interviewing for the same position). It seems like it would be a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a co-worker that was extremely rude to you.   View Answers (2)
    • How would you deal with a rude customer?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2008.

My local B&N had "open interviews" once per week. I completed the brief, one page application and brought it with me to the weekly interviews. I sat down with a store manager and chatted for about twenty minutes. I then received a call back two days later, at which time I met with a store manager (a different one this time) and had a roughly thirty minute interview. They asked me the basic questions about previous employers, strengths, weaknesses, etc... After that interview, I went through a third round with yet another store manager. Similar questions, though this time the focus was more on how I work with other people and my customer service skills. They offered me a job at the conclusion of that interview. A lengthy process, but well worth it--it was a great position that I held for almost five years.

Interview Questions
    • What was the most difficult experience I ever encountered with a co-worker.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2010.

I applied and kept calling the Cafe Manager, persistent to get the job. She told me she would call back after reviewing my application, but didn't, so I called again. By that time they were finished hiring people.