Barnes & Noble Book Seller Interview Questions

2.6

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The first interview that I went through was pretty casual. Very general questions and conversation including things like "what's your favorite book?" The second interview with the main store manager was a little more formal and in-depth.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I first applied online for the position of book seller and I was contacted by the manager for an over the phone interview a little less than a week later. We spoke for ten or fifteen minutes, with her asking questions like "what makes you a good fit?" and "why this company?" before she asked me to come into the store for an in-person interview. It was very informal and made me feel at ease, which I liked. The face to face interview was generally the same type of questions, but by a different person (another manager I believe). Unfortunately did not get the position, but the whole experience was not unpleasant.

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2013.

Interview

I was asked a number of questions concerning my previous experience and how it relates to work at Barnes & Noble, as well as what sparked my interest in the company. The interviewer was very nice and engaging.

Anonymous Employee in Flint, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Flint, MI) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied online and got a phone call a few days later setting up an interview. From there my interview was pretty basic. I got questions like what I would do in my free time while at work, or how would I make a new coworker feel welcome, or what would I do if I had a problem with a coworker. The interviewer also broke down the process of training and that it would include learning the cafe basics and the nook. After that she asked if I had any questions and explained that those called back for a second interview would know by the beginning of the next week.

Interview Questions

• I guess the most "difficult" question I was asked was one asking what I would do if someone approached me and didn't know what they were looking for. What made it difficult was simply the fact that I wasn't aware of their procedures per se.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buford, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Buford, GA).

Interview

I was incredibly lucky with this interview. I had been looking for a job for a few weeks and decided the local Barnes&Noble would be a good choice. I went in up to the information desk to ask for an application. Turns out I asked the manager and as he handed it to me he told me to bring it back to him personally as soon as I had filled it out. I brought it back and he immediately brought me in for the interview. They didn't have any positions available at the time but he told me he would contact me when they did. After a couple months I had given up but I got a call saying they wanted me in as soon as I could.

Interview Questions

• I've never liked the question of tell me about yourself. I hadn't mastered the ability to sell myself at that point and I didn't know what might be important and what might be trivial information. It would be easier answering more focused questions such as what is your level of education or what do you do in your spare time.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotiation it was my first job and it was for a part time hourly employee, not much wiggle room.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Corte Madera, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Corte Madera, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

The interview process took about 45 minutes. They asked why I would like to work there and why I would be a good choice. It wasn't a very difficult interview, mostly just trying to figure out if I would be a good fit to the staff. Make sure that I would be available the appropriate amount of hours.

Interview Questions

• Might have been: What do you think you need to work on or improve.   Answer Question

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2009.

Interview

I heard there was a new store opening up in my area. i printed an appication, brought it down in person. i was told when the interveiwing was going to take place. made a phone call around the time i was asked to come in that day, had a group interview. the following week i was called and hired. very easy process....

Interview Questions

• who is your favorite author?   1 Answer

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

When they first called me in for an interview, about a week or two after I first applied, we met on the second floor balcony and did group interviews. Each group had around 8-10 people in them and the manager had everyone introduce themselves before getting started. The manager then took out a pencil and paper and made notes on everyone's answers to the questions she asked. She asked around ten questions and whoever wanted to contribute could. The people that got picked were the ones who volunteered the most AND had smart answers to the questions asked by the manager. Those that stayed quiet and answered two questions were not asked back. I was extremely talkative, made eye contact, and had smart answers and got an offer which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was what you would do if a customer was angry.   Answer Question