Barnes & Noble

Getting the Interview

82 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

West Chester, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2013.

Interview Details – Online application. Phone interview followed by in-person interview with assistant manager.

Interview Question – The questions were very straightforward and what I expected.   Answer Question

Pembroke Pines, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Interview Details – It is extremely calm, and relaxed. just answer all the questions and be polite, and courteous and you will be fine.

Interview Question – What is your most likeable quality?   Answer Question

San Bruno, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

Interview Details – Hiring manager was cordial and the questions asked were the basic retail scenario questions. After the interview, she went over my availabilities and said she'll tell me her decision within two days. Today is the deadline, and I am still waiting for the call; if I don't hear anything back at the end of the day i guess I didn't meet her expectation. :'(

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Applied online, took a week to schedule interview. Straight-forward.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult customer?   View Answer

Niskayuna, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2010.

Interview Details – I applied to the position of Bookseller. I kept checking back into the store to inquire about my application. Finally I got an interview and it was conducted openly in the cafe. After that I heard nothing so I stopped into the store again the next week and inquired and the manager said I had the job they just had to wait for a position to open up. The first position open was as a Barista in the cafe, so I took it thinking the second a position as bookseller opened up that I would get it. Two years later and many new booksellers had come and gone and I was still in the cafe. At that point I spoke to the managers and made them switch me over to the bookfloor.

Interview Question – For bookseller "What book are you reading?" and "How do you like it?" are loaded questions. They seem just conversational, but really the interviewer is testing to see how well you know the products in the store and how much extra work they will have to put into training you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate anything. This is a corporation and as so they will only offer you minimum wage unless you are starting in a supervisor's position.

Bookseller

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I went in with little retail experience when I was 18. I interviewed with a merchandising manager then the store manager which took place in the cafe. It was a very relaxed atmosphere and the managers were very nice. The interview was about 30 minutes for each manager (on separate days)

Interview Question – What is your favorite book? I should have expected this questions but they are basically testing your ability to sell a title   Answer Question

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Standard interview. It's retail, so don't expect anything too crazy. Simple questions such as scenarios involving helping a customer, what kind of books you enjoy, what kind of employee you believe you are, etc.

Interview Question – Tell me your favorite book. Now, pretend that I am a customer who is on the fence about purchasing the book. Tell me why I should buy it.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I applied online and few hours later someone called to set up an interview. We had a mini phone interview (why b&n). Set up interview for same day. It was at the cafe in store

Interview Question – what books are you reading atm, what is your fave book, how would you approach a customer etc.- just smile and seem approachable   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. $8

Bookseller

Interview Details – I applied for a part time/temporary low entry level position at Barnes & Noble. I applied online. The process took about one week. Also, I applied during November. A lot of the paperwork process takes place online. The interviewer was very sweet (one on one) and made me feel as confortable as possible (since it was my first interview ever). I also did not have any previous work experience, but did have community service and an internship.

Interview Question – The interview was pretty easy. The interviewer was very sweet and made one feel as comfortable as posible. The only questions that seem to matter were situational questions such as: how would you behave in this situation? How would you handle certain things? Etc. also, another important one is: why do you want to work at Barnes & Noble? And: What qualifies you to work at Barnes & Noble?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Everything is set at Barnes & Nobles rules.

Bookseller

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Barnes & Noble contacted me 1-2 weeks after I had submitted my application; the manager who called was very nice, asked a couple of questions on the phone, and then set up the interview.
The interview was extremely relaxed. It was actually really busy in the cafe that day, but I just sat at a little table with one of the managers and had probably a 25 minute interview, almost completely regarding my previous experience and how it could be applied to Barnes & Noble as my experience was not in retail. Not only were the questions pretty easy, but the manager was very friendly.
I was offered a job two days after my interview. The whole process was very pleasant and relaxed!

Interview Question – Just simple things like "describe a time when..." and "how did you handle that?"
"What kind of things do you like to read?"
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Barnes & Noble

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble Bookseller interview questions and advice. All 82 interview reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees and interview candidates.