Barnes & Noble

Average Difficulty
90 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Norcross, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the store manager the day after I filled out an application and we set up an interview for a few days later. About two days after my interview, she called to offer me the job and I accepted. It was an easy process.

Interview Question – "What do you see as some of your liabilities as an employee?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on seasonal hourly pay.

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2011.

Interview Details – There are two interviews before you get an offer. The first interview is with a lower manager, the second with the store manager. There are a few questions based on your personality and your work style, but most are situational. They want to know how you would act in situations that arise in the retail setting.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There really isn't negotiation. They start pay at minimum wage and get you working within a week or two.

Very Easy Interview

Melbourne, FL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call the same day, asked me a few questions such as when I was availiable to work and when I could start. Asked me to come in for an interview 2 days later. I met with what I assume was the HR rep in our store at the cafe after waiting a few min for her to finish up another interview. She was nice and asked general questions about work history and things such as what was my biggest pet peeve and how I handled disagreements at work. She asked me how much experience I had in retail and with registers, since I have had no register experience she said that's ok they can train me. Finally when it came to references I didn't have 3 professional references and could not use family so I had to use personal and did not remember the last name for one of them so she pretty much ended the interview at that point and told me to call her when I could get the last name for my reference. I felt that it hurt my chance just because of my reference mistake. I have not heard anything back yet so I am hoping I do, she said they would call me.

Interview Question – How would I handle a disagreement at work?   Answer Question

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through their online system more than once. the first time I applied I waited a week before I got a reply and because I was eager I kept checking the site to assure that the position was available. About 5 minutes after I checked the site a week after I applied, I got an email saying the position was filled. So I waited a few minutes and visited the career website and the same store now had two openings instead of the original one. I was kind of upset and thought maybe the email was an error so I applied again and almost a week later I got a phone call setting up an interview. I got all new clothes for the process and my parents were really proud (I'm 17). When I went in they were able to schedule a double back to back interview with 2 managers. I went in with a resume and a certificate detailing my work experience in a library. I also went in with my certification in pre-professional education fundamentals. The first manager was nice and she had a bubbly personality but the second manager came off as very rude and standoffish and flat out told me that since I was young I had very little experience.

Interview Question – How would you handle a customer or coworker that is in a bad mood?   Answer Question

Bronx, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2013.

Interview Details – This was around the time when there were still paper applications, filled it out and handed it in along with my resume to the manager. Make sure you make an effort to COME IN PERSON to the store and introduce yourself to any of the managers. Also make sure to ask for the time when managers come in and their name.

Interview Question – When you were working in retail, tell me about an experience where you were forced to control your stress levels? Thinking back I can really see why I was given that question.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was given a call that I was hired and ready to start. There was no negotiation with pay. You get what your offered.

Very Easy Interview

San Bruno, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Interview Details – Questions about books you read, what your work backround is, How you feel about selling memberships, information about the company in general. Most likely you will get a second interview and it's hard to screw up.

Interview Question – If you are willing to say you'll take the ow wage with a straight face.   Answer Question

Del Mar, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted the next day after I sent in my application, had the interview two days later, and was offered the job within a week.

Interview Question – There were no really difficult or unexpected questions. We mainly talked customer service and he gave me specific scenarios with a customer and how I would respond.   Answer Question

Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. It took about 4 days before someone called me to set up an interview which was scheduled for two days after the initial phone call. Went in and the interview lasted 15 minutes. The interviewer was very polite and kind. Didn't feel like a high pressure interview. Notable questions were: What does good customer service mean to you, name a time you helped a difficult customer, why do you want to work here, do you like to read, favorite genre.

Interview Question – Questions were fairly standard.   Answer Question

West Chester, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2013.

Interview Details – Online application. Phone interview followed by in-person interview with assistant manager.

Interview Question – The questions were very straightforward and what I expected.   Answer Question

Pembroke Pines, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Interview Details – It is extremely calm, and relaxed. just answer all the questions and be polite, and courteous and you will be fine.

Interview Question – What is your most likeable quality?   Answer Question

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!