Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.2

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I submitted my resume at the store and was called for an interview within a week. The interview was more of a conversation. We discussed why I was interested in the position, customer service and books.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working at Barnes and Noble?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carle Place, NY

Interview

The interview was brief and by the end of it you can definitely tell if you got the job or not. They ask the most basic general interview questions and get you in and out of there within a half hour. I had a one on one and the position was offered to me the next day. Be friendly, be passionate about books, and emphasize your abilities to help people.

Interview Questions

• What was one situation in which you had a disagreement with a manager? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What is your relationship with books?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Las Vegas, NV) in June 2015.

Interview

Had two interviews, was interviewed by 3 people. The first two people were a bit more intimidating because this is my first job, and answering questions such as "describe a conflict with a coworker" was a bit difficult for me. The second interview was with the hiring manager and it was a bit more casual. I was asked the same questions by all the interviewers, so I got some practice. Getting an interview was harder than the interview itself. When I got hired, 600 other people had applied and there was 1 spot. I was really persistent with calling and leaving my name, stopping by sometimes, and they eventually looked at my application. Since they don't call in many people, if you are really outgoing in your interview and just show them that you really want to work there, then you should have a pretty good shot. Also, when they asked what book I would recommend to others (Contact by Carl Sagan), the ASM was like AAAAHHH NO WAY I LOVE SAGAN and then we just casually talked about Sagan and his awesomeness. Then the next manager seemed to like me and then asked me to come to another interview. After the hiring manager interviewed me she offered me the job right away. So just answer the questions the best you can and don't worry if you're struggling a bit. I did and I got the job.

Interview Questions

• If a customer asked you for a book recommendation, what would you recommend to them and why?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle a situation where a customer wanted to buy a book that was damaged, it was the only one left, and they needed it right then?   1 Answer
    • If you were the only one working at customer services, had 3+ customers in line, the phone started ringing, backup was needed at cash wrap, etc., what would you do?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if a customer was upset about something?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You start with minimum wage. I got the impression that they give raises but I'm not sure.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Phone screening, one in person interview. Basic "tell me about yourself", strengths and weakness kind of thing. They explained the job and stressed memberships. Ran through scenario questions and previous experience working in retail.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when dealing with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Great experience. Filled out resume online and was called in for an interview. Asked about why i wanted to work there. Met with the store manager. Job offer the next day.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Brief interview about my education background and why I wanted the position. Held in the cafe. Asked about my availability. Was happy that I was very able to do any of the shifts. Asked about the books I enjoy reading and who I would recommend it to. Was called within a week for the job.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read? What is your favorite book and who would you recommend it to?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brandon, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Brandon, FL).

Interview

Even though I applied for the Bookseller position, they had a cafe manager at the interview also, and I wound up working in the cafe after I was hired. The questions were all hypothetical situations, like, "what have you done in the past when I customer wasn't satisfied?" They asked what I liked to read, if I liked coffee, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had to resolve a conflict with a customer   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2015.

Interview

First was called on the phone asking if I could come in for an interview. After the first interview I was asked to come into a second. After the second I received word a week later and did not get the job. Some questions were a little tough but feeling comfortable is key, as they try to see how you react to stressful situations.

Interview Questions

• What's the last book you read? How would you respond to a customer who needed help?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Relatively easy. Met with an assistant manager, she went over my qualifications and asked a few questions about my experience. Hired on the spot (contingent on passing background check). Told I would start on a temporary part-time basis and would switch over to regular part-time as long as "everything worked out" (i.e. did not find a higher paying position) After hire, was brought in, given employee handbook. Trained for one week, then relatively independent in role.

Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Wauwatosa, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

Conversational, way too chit chatty, in the open in the cafe around total strangers, zero privacy, positive but with some odd questions. Ended extremely well and with a vague offer of a job after the background check and reference review formality. After three weeks of not hearing anything was informed via form letter email that no job was coming. This is after a positive review of references and a positive background check - I know because I got a copy of it. Very unprofessional to make a vague job offer and then rescind it for no reason after three weeks and personal vetting.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you could sell books to people in Wisconsin, who are not very smart?   Answer Question