Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Sep 27, 2014

2.2

99 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I originally applied for a cafe position. The cafe manager called me for a brief phone interview, asking me why I wanted to work at Barnes & Noble and what my availability was. I was then asked to come in for an interview at the cafe. I first spoke with the cafe manager, who asked me if I'd ever been to the cafe before and if I drank much coffee, and then proceeded to ask questions related to my previous job experience, such as "Have you worked in teams before?" and "Have you previously worked in a fast-paced setting?" I was asked to come back the next day for an interview with the store manager. The store manager asked me what my favorite book was and why I wanted to work there in addition to the usual entry level retail situational and behavioral questions. Both interviews were short and laid-back. Since I had no prior food service experience, I was offered a bookseller position instead, which I accepted.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Asked me what kind of books I like to read, my leadership experience, and an example of how I handled a difficult situation. One-on-one interview, called my current employer as a reference. Only had one interview.

Interview Questions
    • Loved the "what types of books you read" question.   View Answer
    Accepted as seasonal for the summer than hired as part-time

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

One August, I applied online to four nearby Barnes & Nobles. One called back and I was officially hired in late October after interviews with the store manager, assistant store manager, and merch manager. I also had a fourth interview with the cafe manager because I told them I'd be happy to work in a cafe position too. The hiring process seemed like a long drag to me because it turned out to be just an open application and they were not in demand for booksellers when I applied. The interview went smoothly and the questions asked were the expected ones. Questions were not only about my work experience, but also about my reading and coffee interests, school, etc. I was told to wait up to two weeks for a background check. The two weeks passed so I called back and was told they had yet to get in touch with my listed references. About a week later, I was in the store office signing paperwork and ready for orientation. I was hired as one of four part time temporary seasonal employees, three of which (including myself) later became permanent after the holidays. One piece of advice for prospective employees is that the application is online. I've seen too many times some fine people walking in and asking to drop off their resume or pick up an application. These people are told (at least in my store) to go online because all the resources are there. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • No difficult, technical, or curveball questions except when I was asked what I like about B&N coffee, which I didn't understand because they serve Starbucks coffee and it is no different. I pulled through and was hired.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lincolnshire, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincolnshire, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online. I had a phone screening with one of the merch managers before setting up an in person with the assistant store manager. Interview went really well and we set up an interview with the store manager. In the mean time they ran a background check on me and contacted my references. By the time I had my final interview they said they were ready to hire me but had only been able to talk to one of my references. I gave them another name and within a half hour I was hired!

Interview Questions
    There wasn't one. They offered me the standard starting pay

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

This was your typical interview. I greatly appreciated having the interview in the Cafe, it provided an anxiety free setting for an interview. Most of the questions were based on my former employments. They wanted to know how you handled customers in specific situations, and how your past employment experiences would transfer to BN. They also asked me what I typically read, and what I was currently reading.

Interview Questions
    • In your previous job, describe a situation where you had to deal with an angry customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norcross, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I was contacted by the store manager the day after I filled out an application and we set up an interview for a few days later. About two days after my interview, she called to offer me the job and I accepted. It was an easy process.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you see as some of your liabilities as an employee?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation on seasonal hourly pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online and got a call the same day, asked me a few questions such as when I was availiable to work and when I could start. Asked me to come in for an interview 2 days later. I met with what I assume was the HR rep in our store at the cafe after waiting a few min for her to finish up another interview. She was nice and asked general questions about work history and things such as what was my biggest pet peeve and how I handled disagreements at work. She asked me how much experience I had in retail and with registers, since I have had no register experience she said that's ok they can train me. Finally when it came to references I didn't have 3 professional references and could not use family so I had to use personal and did not remember the last name for one of them so she pretty much ended the interview at that point and told me to call her when I could get the last name for my reference. I felt that it hurt my chance just because of my reference mistake. I have not heard anything back yet so I am hoping I do, she said they would call me.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

I applied through their online system more than once. the first time I applied I waited a week before I got a reply and because I was eager I kept checking the site to assure that the position was available. About 5 minutes after I checked the site a week after I applied, I got an email saying the position was filled. So I waited a few minutes and visited the career website and the same store now had two openings instead of the original one. I was kind of upset and thought maybe the email was an error so I applied again and almost a week later I got a phone call setting up an interview. I got all new clothes for the process and my parents were really proud (I'm 17). When I went in they were able to schedule a double back to back interview with 2 managers. I went in with a resume and a certificate detailing my work experience in a library. I also went in with my certification in pre-professional education fundamentals. The first manager was nice and she had a bubbly personality but the second manager came off as very rude and standoffish and flat out told me that since I was young I had very little experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer or coworker that is in a bad mood?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Process took 13 Days
    I applied on a Wednesday. I really wanted the job so I called the next day to make sure they got my application. I got a call that Sunday from the manager. We did and over the phone interview that lasted about 10 minutes. I was then asked to come in for a one on one interview the very next day.
    I came in and met with the assistant manager. She was very kind and we sat in the café. It was a very informal interview. She asked me general questions, nothing to difficult. At the end she told me I had gotten the second interview, and that I just had to wait for them to call and schedule it. I got a call that Wednesday and went for the interview the following Thursday. It lasted about 30 minutes. More generic questions like how have you dealt with an angry customer.
    I got a call that Monday offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, but some barnes and nobles do a review every few months where you are eligible for a raise

Bookseller Interview

I applied online a few different times because I was really interested in working here. The last time I applied I got a call from a manager about a week later, but it went to voicemail. I called back and talked to a different manager than the one that called. He took a few minutes to go get my application and resume. He was super nice, and I could tell he actually read my application before talking to me. He asked a couple questions about my previous experience, why I wanted to work here and what some of my favorite books were. He then told me they would be reviewing the applications this week and next and would call me for an interview if they wanted me to come back. I'm still currently waiting for them to call back. Hopefully they do, if not I plan to call just to see what's going on.

Interview Questions

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!