Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Apr 16, 2015
Updated Apr 16, 2015

2.2

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Brandon, FL).

Interview

Even though I applied for the Bookseller position, they had a cafe manager at the interview also, and I wound up working in the cafe after I was hired. The questions were all hypothetical situations, like, "what have you done in the past when I customer wasn't satisfied?" They asked what I liked to read, if I liked coffee, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had to resolve a conflict with a customer   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Brief interview about my education background and why I wanted the position. Held in the cafe. Asked about my availability. Was happy that I was very able to do any of the shifts. Asked about the books I enjoy reading and who I would recommend it to. Was called within a week for the job.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read?
      What is your favorite book and who would you recommend it to?

Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2015.

Interview

First was called on the phone asking if I could come in for an interview. After the first interview I was asked to come into a second. After the second I received word a week later and did not get the job. Some questions were a little tough but feeling comfortable is key, as they try to see how you react to stressful situations.

Interview Questions

• What's the last book you read? How would you respond to a customer who needed help?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Relatively easy. Met with an assistant manager, she went over my qualifications and asked a few questions about my experience. Hired on the spot (contingent on passing background check).

Told I would start on a temporary part-time basis and would switch over to regular part-time as long as "everything worked out" (i.e. did not find a higher paying position)

After hire, was brought in, given employee handbook. Trained for one week, then relatively independent in role.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Wauwatosa, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

Conversational, way too chit chatty, in the open in the cafe around total strangers, zero privacy, positive but with some odd questions.
    Ended extremely well and with a vague offer of a job after the background check and reference review formality. After three weeks of not hearing anything was informed via form letter email that no job was coming. This is after a positive review of references and a positive background check - I know because I got a copy of it. Very unprofessional to make a vague job offer and then rescind it for no reason after three weeks and personal vetting.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you could sell books to people in Wisconsin, who are not very smart?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied in person in the store and I included a nice looking resume with my application form. I got a phone call a few weeks later asking me to come in for an interview. The interviewer was nice and professional. I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Just a review of my resume and making sure that I am professional and interested in the position.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Orange, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Within a week I was called to schedule an interview. I met with the hiring manager at the in-store cafe; she was genial and relaxed, which put me at ease, and the conversation lasted somewhere between half an hour and forty-five minutes. The interview wasn't too difficult, just your basic 'why do you want to work here,' 'what would you do if,' 'tell me about a time when' questions. She scheduled me for a second interview immediately afterward.

Bookseller Interview

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Interviews are easy as long as you are polite and concise. Must be able to hit the ground running because there will be very little training/cross training. Management is strict on membership sales depending on which store you are hired at.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?

Pick a book before going in and be enthusiastic about reading regardless of your preference.

1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for this position online and was called within two weeks to come to the store for an in-person interview. The interview itself took place in the cafe section of the store. I was given a one-on-one interview with an assistant manager in which I was asked about ten questions about myself and my approach to certain tasks regarding retail. Questions included, "What are you reading right now, Why do you want to work at Barnes and Noble, How would you approach a customer to gain an idea of their needs, What would you do in the store when customer activity is low" and a few others. Once I had answered these questions and agreed to the starting salary amount, I was asked to wait while the store manager was contacted. The store manager then met with me and asked me similar questions to which I gave similar answers again but with much more detail. I was then told that I would be contacted regarding a background check and that I would be contacted within the next few days regarding their decision.

Interview Questions

• "How would you approach a disagreement with a member of management?"   Answer Question

As a recent graduate with a bachelor's degree and over four years of previous experience in retail, I felt that the starting salary and the store's inflexibility to provide a more appropriate salary were not a good fit for me.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online, 2 weeks later received phone call to interview for the following day, Interview lasted 45 minutes with 2 different managers on the same day. Asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me a few questions, then asked me to approve for a background check four days later asked for 2 references, Next day received and offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you Sell or membership cards?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negociable.