Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2015
Updated Mar 12, 2015

2.2

Bookseller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Relatively easy. Met with an assistant manager, she went over my qualifications and asked a few questions about my experience. Hired on the spot (contingent on passing background check).

Told I would start on a temporary part-time basis and would switch over to regular part-time as long as "everything worked out" (i.e. did not find a higher paying position)

After hire, was brought in, given employee handbook. Trained for one week, then relatively independent in role.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied in person in the store and I included a nice looking resume with my application form. I got a phone call a few weeks later asking me to come in for an interview. The interviewer was nice and professional. I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Just a review of my resume and making sure that I am professional and interested in the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2015.

I applied online. Within a week I was called to schedule an interview. I met with the hiring manager at the in-store cafe; she was genial and relaxed, which put me at ease, and the conversation lasted somewhere between half an hour and forty-five minutes. The interview wasn't too difficult, just your basic 'why do you want to work here,' 'what would you do if,' 'tell me about a time when' questions. She scheduled me for a second interview immediately afterward.

Bookseller Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interviews are easy as long as you are polite and concise. Must be able to hit the ground running because there will be very little training/cross training. Management is strict on membership sales depending on which store you are hired at.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?

Pick a book before going in and be enthusiastic about reading regardless of your preference.

View Answer

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

I applied for this position online and was called within two weeks to come to the store for an in-person interview. The interview itself took place in the cafe section of the store. I was given a one-on-one interview with an assistant manager in which I was asked about ten questions about myself and my approach to certain tasks regarding retail. Questions included, "What are you reading right now, Why do you want to work at Barnes and Noble, How would you approach a customer to gain an idea of their needs, What would you do in the store when customer activity is low" and a few others. Once I had answered these questions and agreed to the starting salary amount, I was asked to wait while the store manager was contacted. The store manager then met with me and asked me similar questions to which I gave similar answers again but with much more detail. I was then told that I would be contacted regarding a background check and that I would be contacted within the next few days regarding their decision.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you approach a disagreement with a member of management?"   Answer Question

As a recent graduate with a bachelor's degree and over four years of previous experience in retail, I felt that the starting salary and the store's inflexibility to provide a more appropriate salary were not a good fit for me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2014.

Applied online, 2 weeks later received phone call to interview for the following day, Interview lasted 45 minutes with 2 different managers on the same day. Asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me a few questions, then asked me to approve for a background check four days later asked for 2 references, Next day received and offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you Sell or membership cards?   View Answer
    Non-negociable.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2014.

Good place to work if you like being around books, can be a bit boring as the stores are very slow during non peak season. Usually end up standing around in front of the register waiting for your next break but the people are nice and the management was good. Minimum wage sucks but its not unexpected for this kind of work.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was very relaxed and I had no reason to be nervous. The questions were standard interview questions (tell me about a time when...) I had one interview with the store manager and it lasted about 20 minutes. Manager was great and made the experience very positive for me. She was generally interested in getting to know me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you made a mistake at work and what were the consequences.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

In the summer of 2013, I filled out the online application (there were openings listed for the store I applied at) and I was called a few days later by a merchandise manager. I met with her about a week after I applied and had an interview in the store cafe. The questions I was asked in this interview were mainly about how I would handle certain situations, what experience I had, and there were also a few questions about what books I liked and whether I knew about Nook. A few days later, the same manager left a message on my phone asking me to come back for another interview with somebody else. About a week after my first interview, I met with an assistant store manager in the cafe. Her questions were different from my first interview, and they mainly focused on what my availability was and if I had reliable transportation. A couple days later, the store manager called to tell me that they were changing the policy on background checks for juveniles (I was 17 at the time) and that I would probably get a call in a few days from one of the managers who had interviewed me. During this time, both managers that I interviewed with called my references. The next Sunday, the second manager called and asked me if I could start on Wednesday. I was hired!

About a year later, I was moving across the country to go to college, and I filled out a transfer application (also online, but transfer applications must be done on store computers). About a week later, I received a phone call from an assistant manager asking if I was still interested. When I said yes, he said that I would be hired as long as my current manager approved. A few days later, the store manager left a message on my phone saying that she had spoken to my old manager, and that I was approved for the transfer.

The only problem with transfers is that pay is mainly based on location and is often set by corporate. When I transferred, I took a pay cut, but the new manager put in a good word for me and the pay cut wasn't as much. She also gave me a raise after my first performance interview at the new store.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with our line of Nook products, and would you be comfortable talking to customers about their benefits?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a situation when a customer presented an issue and you worked with them to solve it.   View Answer
    • If somebody asked you about a book you had never heard of, what would you do? Assume you only have a minute, or they will get impatient.   View Answer
    They start their pay based on experience, and I was offered minimum wage since this was my first job. About six months later, minimum wage was raised in my state, but I received a little more than that. I had a performance review a little after I had worked there for one year and I received another raise. If you do your job well, there is definitely the possibility to get a raise. However, you usually cannot negotiate.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2014.

I submitted my application online a few weeks before and received a called about a group interview. The group interview was very laid back. They only asked us to do 3 things: 1) Introduce yourself 2) How would you recommend a book to a customer? 3) How would you sell a membership to a customer?

Interview Questions
    • How would you recommend a book to a customer?   View Answer