Barnes & Noble

2.2

105 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2014.

Applied online, 2 weeks later received phone call to interview for the following day, Interview lasted 45 minutes with 2 different managers on the same day. Asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me a few questions, then asked me to approve for a background check four days later asked for 2 references, Next day received and offer.

Interview Questions
  • How would you Sell or membership cards?   View Answer
Non-negociable.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was very relaxed and I had no reason to be nervous. The questions were standard interview questions (tell me about a time when...) I had one interview with the store manager and it lasted about 20 minutes. Manager was great and made the experience very positive for me. She was generally interested in getting to know me.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you made a mistake at work and what were the consequences.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

In the summer of 2013, I filled out the online application (there were openings listed for the store I applied at) and I was called a few days later by a merchandise manager. I met with her about a week after I applied and had an interview in the store cafe. The questions I was asked in this interview were mainly about how I would handle certain situations, what experience I had, and there were also a few questions about what books I liked and whether I knew about Nook. A few days later, the same manager left a message on my phone asking me to come back for another interview with somebody else. About a week after my first interview, I met with an assistant store manager in the cafe. Her questions were different from my first interview, and they mainly focused on what my availability was and if I had reliable transportation. A couple days later, the store manager called to tell me that they were changing the policy on background checks for juveniles (I was 17 at the time) and that I would probably get a call in a few days from one of the managers who had interviewed me. During this time, both managers that I interviewed with called my references. The next Sunday, the second manager called and asked me if I could start on Wednesday. I was hired!

About a year later, I was moving across the country to go to college, and I filled out a transfer application (also online, but transfer applications must be done on store computers). About a week later, I received a phone call from an assistant manager asking if I was still interested. When I said yes, he said that I would be hired as long as my current manager approved. A few days later, the store manager left a message on my phone saying that she had spoken to my old manager, and that I was approved for the transfer.

The only problem with transfers is that pay is mainly based on location and is often set by corporate. When I transferred, I took a pay cut, but the new manager put in a good word for me and the pay cut wasn't as much. She also gave me a raise after my first performance interview at the new store.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with our line of Nook products, and would you be comfortable talking to customers about their benefits?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a situation when a customer presented an issue and you worked with them to solve it.   View Answer
    • If somebody asked you about a book you had never heard of, what would you do? Assume you only have a minute, or they will get impatient.   View Answer
    They start their pay based on experience, and I was offered minimum wage since this was my first job. About six months later, minimum wage was raised in my state, but I received a little more than that. I had a performance review a little after I had worked there for one year and I received another raise. If you do your job well, there is definitely the possibility to get a raise. However, you usually cannot negotiate.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2014.

I submitted my application online a few weeks before and received a called about a group interview. The group interview was very laid back. They only asked us to do 3 things: 1) Introduce yourself 2) How would you recommend a book to a customer? 3) How would you sell a membership to a customer?

Interview Questions
    • How would you recommend a book to a customer?   View Answer

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Asked me what kind of books I like to read, my leadership experience, and an example of how I handled a difficult situation. One-on-one interview, called my current employer as a reference. Only had one interview.

Interview Questions
    • Loved the "what types of books you read" question.   View Answer
    Accepted as seasonal for the summer than hired as part-time

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

One August, I applied online to four nearby Barnes & Nobles. One called back and I was officially hired in late October after interviews with the store manager, assistant store manager, and merch manager. I also had a fourth interview with the cafe manager because I told them I'd be happy to work in a cafe position too. The hiring process seemed like a long drag to me because it turned out to be just an open application and they were not in demand for booksellers when I applied. The interview went smoothly and the questions asked were the expected ones. Questions were not only about my work experience, but also about my reading and coffee interests, school, etc. I was told to wait up to two weeks for a background check. The two weeks passed so I called back and was told they had yet to get in touch with my listed references. About a week later, I was in the store office signing paperwork and ready for orientation. I was hired as one of four part time temporary seasonal employees, three of which (including myself) later became permanent after the holidays. One piece of advice for prospective employees is that the application is online. I've seen too many times some fine people walking in and asking to drop off their resume or pick up an application. These people are told (at least in my store) to go online because all the resources are there. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • No difficult, technical, or curveball questions except when I was asked what I like about B&N coffee, which I didn't understand because they serve Starbucks coffee and it is no different. I pulled through and was hired.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincolnshire, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincolnshire, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online. I had a phone screening with one of the merch managers before setting up an in person with the assistant store manager. Interview went really well and we set up an interview with the store manager. In the mean time they ran a background check on me and contacted my references. By the time I had my final interview they said they were ready to hire me but had only been able to talk to one of my references. I gave them another name and within a half hour I was hired!

Interview Questions
    There wasn't one. They offered me the standard starting pay

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

This was your typical interview. I greatly appreciated having the interview in the Cafe, it provided an anxiety free setting for an interview. Most of the questions were based on my former employments. They wanted to know how you handled customers in specific situations, and how your past employment experiences would transfer to BN. They also asked me what I typically read, and what I was currently reading.

Interview Questions
    • In your previous job, describe a situation where you had to deal with an angry customer.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I was contacted by the store manager the day after I filled out an application and we set up an interview for a few days later. About two days after my interview, she called to offer me the job and I accepted. It was an easy process.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you see as some of your liabilities as an employee?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation on seasonal hourly pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online and got a call the same day, asked me a few questions such as when I was availiable to work and when I could start. Asked me to come in for an interview 2 days later. I met with what I assume was the HR rep in our store at the cafe after waiting a few min for her to finish up another interview. She was nice and asked general questions about work history and things such as what was my biggest pet peeve and how I handled disagreements at work. She asked me how much experience I had in retail and with registers, since I have had no register experience she said that's ok they can train me. Finally when it came to references I didn't have 3 professional references and could not use family so I had to use personal and did not remember the last name for one of them so she pretty much ended the interview at that point and told me to call her when I could get the last name for my reference. I felt that it hurt my chance just because of my reference mistake. I have not heard anything back yet so I am hoping I do, she said they would call me.