Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions & Reviews

95 interviews

2.2

95 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Bookseller Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

First interview was very standard. Dress business formal/casual. They had the standard scenario questions and to get a feel of who are you as a person. The second interview, with the store manager, was more of the same. Both interviews seemed to want to make sure you were a good fit with the company and that you had some rudimentary knowledge of retail/customer service.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing that stood out--there was the standard of dealing with an unhappy customer.   Answer Question
I wasn't able to negotiate. In fact, I had to lower my expectation for hourly wage despite my years in retail.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

This was your typical interview. I greatly appreciated having the interview in the Cafe, it provided an anxiety free setting for an interview. Most of the questions were based on my former employments. They wanted to know how you handled customers in specific situations, and how your past employment experiences would transfer to BN. They also asked me what I typically read, and what I was currently reading.

Interview Questions
    • In your previous job, describe a situation where you had to deal with an angry customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Process took 13 Days
    I applied on a Wednesday. I really wanted the job so I called the next day to make sure they got my application. I got a call that Sunday from the manager. We did and over the phone interview that lasted about 10 minutes. I was then asked to come in for a one on one interview the very next day.
    I came in and met with the assistant manager. She was very kind and we sat in the café. It was a very informal interview. She asked me general questions, nothing to difficult. At the end she told me I had gotten the second interview, and that I just had to wait for them to call and schedule it. I got a call that Wednesday and went for the interview the following Thursday. It lasted about 30 minutes. More generic questions like how have you dealt with an angry customer.
    I got a call that Monday offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, but some barnes and nobles do a review every few months where you are eligible for a raise

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Metairie, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Metairie, LA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

Two phone interviews followed by two in-person interviews (for a part-time entry-level position.) Everyone was very nice, but frankly they seem to be expecting too much for an $8/hr position. They act like they are interviewing you for a corporate job.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation offered. They also stated that I would be working 15 hours/wk and changed it to 22 without consultation.

Bookseller Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

I applied online a few different times because I was really interested in working here. The last time I applied I got a call from a manager about a week later, but it went to voicemail. I called back and talked to a different manager than the one that called. He took a few minutes to go get my application and resume. He was super nice, and I could tell he actually read my application before talking to me. He asked a couple questions about my previous experience, why I wanted to work here and what some of my favorite books were. He then told me they would be reviewing the applications this week and next and would call me for an interview if they wanted me to come back. I'm still currently waiting for them to call back. Hopefully they do, if not I plan to call just to see what's going on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norcross, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I was contacted by the store manager the day after I filled out an application and we set up an interview for a few days later. About two days after my interview, she called to offer me the job and I accepted. It was an easy process.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you see as some of your liabilities as an employee?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation on seasonal hourly pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2011.

There are two interviews before you get an offer. The first interview is with a lower manager, the second with the store manager. There are a few questions based on your personality and your work style, but most are situational. They want to know how you would act in situations that arise in the retail setting.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an angry customer?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you worked on a project you didn't believe in? What did you do?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a dispute with a coworker?   Answer Question
    There really isn't negotiation. They start pay at minimum wage and get you working within a week or two.

Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online and got a call the same day, asked me a few questions such as when I was availiable to work and when I could start. Asked me to come in for an interview 2 days later. I met with what I assume was the HR rep in our store at the cafe after waiting a few min for her to finish up another interview. She was nice and asked general questions about work history and things such as what was my biggest pet peeve and how I handled disagreements at work. She asked me how much experience I had in retail and with registers, since I have had no register experience she said that's ok they can train me. Finally when it came to references I didn't have 3 professional references and could not use family so I had to use personal and did not remember the last name for one of them so she pretty much ended the interview at that point and told me to call her when I could get the last name for my reference. I felt that it hurt my chance just because of my reference mistake. I have not heard anything back yet so I am hoping I do, she said they would call me.

Bookseller Interview

I applied through their online system more than once. the first time I applied I waited a week before I got a reply and because I was eager I kept checking the site to assure that the position was available. About 5 minutes after I checked the site a week after I applied, I got an email saying the position was filled. So I waited a few minutes and visited the career website and the same store now had two openings instead of the original one. I was kind of upset and thought maybe the email was an error so I applied again and almost a week later I got a phone call setting up an interview. I got all new clothes for the process and my parents were really proud (I'm 17). When I went in they were able to schedule a double back to back interview with 2 managers. I went in with a resume and a certificate detailing my work experience in a library. I also went in with my certification in pre-professional education fundamentals. The first manager was nice and she had a bubbly personality but the second manager came off as very rude and standoffish and flat out told me that since I was young I had very little experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer or coworker that is in a bad mood?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2013.

This was around the time when there were still paper applications, filled it out and handed it in along with my resume to the manager. Make sure you make an effort to COME IN PERSON to the store and introduce yourself to any of the managers. Also make sure to ask for the time when managers come in and their name.

Interview Questions
    • When you were working in retail, tell me about an experience where you were forced to control your stress levels? Thinking back I can really see why I was given that question.   View Answer
    I was given a call that I was hired and ready to start. There was no negotiation with pay. You get what your offered.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!