Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carle Place, NY

Interview

The interview was brief and by the end of it you can definitely tell if you got the job or not. They ask the most basic general interview questions and get you in and out of there within a half hour. I had a one on one and the position was offered to me the next day. Be friendly, be passionate about books, and emphasize your abilities to help people.

Interview Questions

• What was one situation in which you had a disagreement with a manager? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
  • What is your relationship with books?   1 Answer
  • Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Phone screening, one in person interview. Basic "tell me about yourself", strengths and weakness kind of thing. They explained the job and stressed memberships. Ran through scenario questions and previous experience working in retail.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when dealing with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Great experience. Filled out resume online and was called in for an interview. Asked about why i wanted to work there. Met with the store manager. Job offer the next day.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Brief interview about my education background and why I wanted the position. Held in the cafe. Asked about my availability. Was happy that I was very able to do any of the shifts. Asked about the books I enjoy reading and who I would recommend it to. Was called within a week for the job.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read?
      What is your favorite book and who would you recommend it to?

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brandon, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Brandon, FL).

Interview

Even though I applied for the Bookseller position, they had a cafe manager at the interview also, and I wound up working in the cafe after I was hired. The questions were all hypothetical situations, like, "what have you done in the past when I customer wasn't satisfied?" They asked what I liked to read, if I liked coffee, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had to resolve a conflict with a customer   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2015.

Interview

First was called on the phone asking if I could come in for an interview. After the first interview I was asked to come into a second. After the second I received word a week later and did not get the job. Some questions were a little tough but feeling comfortable is key, as they try to see how you react to stressful situations.

Interview Questions

• What's the last book you read? How would you respond to a customer who needed help?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Relatively easy. Met with an assistant manager, she went over my qualifications and asked a few questions about my experience. Hired on the spot (contingent on passing background check).

Told I would start on a temporary part-time basis and would switch over to regular part-time as long as "everything worked out" (i.e. did not find a higher paying position)

After hire, was brought in, given employee handbook. Trained for one week, then relatively independent in role.

Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Wauwatosa, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

Conversational, way too chit chatty, in the open in the cafe around total strangers, zero privacy, positive but with some odd questions.
    Ended extremely well and with a vague offer of a job after the background check and reference review formality. After three weeks of not hearing anything was informed via form letter email that no job was coming. This is after a positive review of references and a positive background check - I know because I got a copy of it. Very unprofessional to make a vague job offer and then rescind it for no reason after three weeks and personal vetting.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you could sell books to people in Wisconsin, who are not very smart?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied in person in the store and I included a nice looking resume with my application form. I got a phone call a few weeks later asking me to come in for an interview. The interviewer was nice and professional. I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Just a review of my resume and making sure that I am professional and interested in the position.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Orange, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online. Within a week I was called to schedule an interview. I met with the hiring manager at the in-store cafe; she was genial and relaxed, which put me at ease, and the conversation lasted somewhere between half an hour and forty-five minutes. The interview wasn't too difficult, just your basic 'why do you want to work here,' 'what would you do if,' 'tell me about a time when' questions. She scheduled me for a second interview immediately afterward.