Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

2.2

97 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lincolnshire, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lincolnshire, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online. I had a phone screening with one of the merch managers before setting up an in person with the assistant store manager. Interview went really well and we set up an interview with the store manager. In the mean time they ran a background check on me and contacted my references. By the time I had my final interview they said they were ready to hire me but had only been able to talk to one of my references. I gave them another name and within a half hour I was hired!

Interview Questions
There wasn't one. They offered me the standard starting pay

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Asked me what kind of books I like to read, my leadership experience, and an example of how I handled a difficult situation. One-on-one interview, called my current employer as a reference. Only had one interview.

Interview Questions
    • Loved the "what types of books you read" question.   View Answer
    Accepted as seasonal for the summer than hired as part-time

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

First interview was very standard. Dress business formal/casual. They had the standard scenario questions and to get a feel of who are you as a person. The second interview, with the store manager, was more of the same. Both interviews seemed to want to make sure you were a good fit with the company and that you had some rudimentary knowledge of retail/customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that stood out--there was the standard of dealing with an unhappy customer.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate. In fact, I had to lower my expectation for hourly wage despite my years in retail.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Process took 13 Days
    I applied on a Wednesday. I really wanted the job so I called the next day to make sure they got my application. I got a call that Sunday from the manager. We did and over the phone interview that lasted about 10 minutes. I was then asked to come in for a one on one interview the very next day.
    I came in and met with the assistant manager. She was very kind and we sat in the café. It was a very informal interview. She asked me general questions, nothing to difficult. At the end she told me I had gotten the second interview, and that I just had to wait for them to call and schedule it. I got a call that Wednesday and went for the interview the following Thursday. It lasted about 30 minutes. More generic questions like how have you dealt with an angry customer.
    I got a call that Monday offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, but some barnes and nobles do a review every few months where you are eligible for a raise

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

This was your typical interview. I greatly appreciated having the interview in the Cafe, it provided an anxiety free setting for an interview. Most of the questions were based on my former employments. They wanted to know how you handled customers in specific situations, and how your past employment experiences would transfer to BN. They also asked me what I typically read, and what I was currently reading.

Interview Questions
    • In your previous job, describe a situation where you had to deal with an angry customer.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

I applied online a few different times because I was really interested in working here. The last time I applied I got a call from a manager about a week later, but it went to voicemail. I called back and talked to a different manager than the one that called. He took a few minutes to go get my application and resume. He was super nice, and I could tell he actually read my application before talking to me. He asked a couple questions about my previous experience, why I wanted to work here and what some of my favorite books were. He then told me they would be reviewing the applications this week and next and would call me for an interview if they wanted me to come back. I'm still currently waiting for them to call back. Hopefully they do, if not I plan to call just to see what's going on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Metairie, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Metairie, LA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

Two phone interviews followed by two in-person interviews (for a part-time entry-level position.) Everyone was very nice, but frankly they seem to be expecting too much for an $8/hr position. They act like they are interviewing you for a corporate job.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation offered. They also stated that I would be working 15 hours/wk and changed it to 22 without consultation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norcross, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I was contacted by the store manager the day after I filled out an application and we set up an interview for a few days later. About two days after my interview, she called to offer me the job and I accepted. It was an easy process.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you see as some of your liabilities as an employee?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation on seasonal hourly pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2011.

There are two interviews before you get an offer. The first interview is with a lower manager, the second with the store manager. There are a few questions based on your personality and your work style, but most are situational. They want to know how you would act in situations that arise in the retail setting.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an angry customer?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you worked on a project you didn't believe in? What did you do?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a dispute with a coworker?   Answer Question
    There really isn't negotiation. They start pay at minimum wage and get you working within a week or two.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Melbourne, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online and got a call the same day, asked me a few questions such as when I was availiable to work and when I could start. Asked me to come in for an interview 2 days later. I met with what I assume was the HR rep in our store at the cafe after waiting a few min for her to finish up another interview. She was nice and asked general questions about work history and things such as what was my biggest pet peeve and how I handled disagreements at work. She asked me how much experience I had in retail and with registers, since I have had no register experience she said that's ok they can train me. Finally when it came to references I didn't have 3 professional references and could not use family so I had to use personal and did not remember the last name for one of them so she pretty much ended the interview at that point and told me to call her when I could get the last name for my reference. I felt that it hurt my chance just because of my reference mistake. I have not heard anything back yet so I am hoping I do, she said they would call me.

Interview Questions

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!