Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

2.2

Bookseller Interview

Interview

We just sit at the café and have some questions asked. Then, we had a tour around the store and we were shown where things are. The training is no good, they push you out when you are still learning the store. Training was bad.

Interview Questions

• 1. what is your favorite book and author 2. Are you good at giving recommendations 3. Have you ever worked a retail job before?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The interview was very laid back and informal. I was asked a few questions about my previous work experience and then given a scenario about a complaining customer. The hiring manager was really nice about everything. Asked about my availability and how soon I could start.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer received the wrong order?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in College Station, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (College Station, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

Submitted online application, got an email next day. Interview was the next week. Really easy interview, was asked three questions and to describe myself. Got a call the next day.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of great customer service you've given or received lately and what made it so great   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call the following week. After the phone screening an interview was scheduled for the following day. It was pretty easy. We interviewed in the cafe area of the store, and it was really informal. All the questions were basically asking you to describe your experiences with helping customers.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you recommended something to a customer. What was the result?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I submitted my resume at the store and was called for an interview within a week. The interview was more of a conversation. We discussed why I was interested in the position, customer service and books.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working at Barnes and Noble?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Las Vegas, NV) in June 2015.

Interview

Had two interviews, was interviewed by 3 people. The first two people were a bit more intimidating because this is my first job, and answering questions such as "describe a conflict with a coworker" was a bit difficult for me. The second interview was with the hiring manager and it was a bit more casual. I was asked the same questions by all the interviewers, so I got some practice. Getting an interview was harder than the interview itself. When I got hired, 600 other people had applied and there was 1 spot. I was really persistent with calling and leaving my name, stopping by sometimes, and they eventually looked at my application. Since they don't call in many people, if you are really outgoing in your interview and just show them that you really want to work there, then you should have a pretty good shot. Also, when they asked what book I would recommend to others (Contact by Carl Sagan), the ASM was like AAAAHHH NO WAY I LOVE SAGAN and then we just casually talked about Sagan and his awesomeness. Then the next manager seemed to like me and then asked me to come to another interview. After the hiring manager interviewed me she offered me the job right away. So just answer the questions the best you can and don't worry if you're struggling a bit. I did and I got the job.

Interview Questions

• If a customer asked you for a book recommendation, what would you recommend to them and why?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle a situation where a customer wanted to buy a book that was damaged, it was the only one left, and they needed it right then?   1 Answer
    • If you were the only one working at customer services, had 3+ customers in line, the phone started ringing, backup was needed at cash wrap, etc., what would you do?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if a customer was upset about something?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You start with minimum wage. I got the impression that they give raises but I'm not sure.

Anonymous Employee in Carle Place, NY

Interview

The interview was brief and by the end of it you can definitely tell if you got the job or not. They ask the most basic general interview questions and get you in and out of there within a half hour. I had a one on one and the position was offered to me the next day. Be friendly, be passionate about books, and emphasize your abilities to help people.

Interview Questions

• What was one situation in which you had a disagreement with a manager? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What is your relationship with books?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Phone screening, one in person interview. Basic "tell me about yourself", strengths and weakness kind of thing. They explained the job and stressed memberships. Ran through scenario questions and previous experience working in retail.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when dealing with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Great experience. Filled out resume online and was called in for an interview. Asked about why i wanted to work there. Met with the store manager. Job offer the next day.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Brief interview about my education background and why I wanted the position. Held in the cafe. Asked about my availability. Was happy that I was very able to do any of the shifts. Asked about the books I enjoy reading and who I would recommend it to. Was called within a week for the job.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read? What is your favorite book and who would you recommend it to?   Answer Question