Barnes & Noble

Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.2

105 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Stop by, fill out an application. If your lucky, get a call back for an interview. The manager who interviewed me preferred doing group interviews. So to stand out, one had to have good group dynamic skills and be charismatic enough to stand out in a crowd.

Interview Questions
There really wasn't any negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applications are submitted through BN.com only. If you get an interview, you will first interview with an assistant manager, then the store manager.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. predetermined pay rate

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

About 4 months after I applied I was contact by phone for an interview. I met with the manager and an assistant manager a few days later to discuss my retail experience, tastes in books and music, and customer service skills. I was offered the job a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. A fairly laid back interview.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

turned in application, received phone interview, and then face to face interview

management was up front about what could be offered

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied online, took a week to schedule interview. Straight-forward.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult customer?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

Hiring manager was cordial and the questions asked were the basic retail scenario questions. After the interview, she went over my availabilities and said she'll tell me her decision within two days. Today is the deadline, and I am still waiting for the call; if I don't hear anything back at the end of the day i guess I didn't meet her expectation. :'(

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Questions about books you read, what your work backround is, How you feel about selling memberships, information about the company in general. Most likely you will get a second interview and it's hard to screw up.

Interview Questions
    • If you are willing to say you'll take the ow wage with a straight face.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online and got a call the same day, asked me a few questions such as when I was availiable to work and when I could start. Asked me to come in for an interview 2 days later. I met with what I assume was the HR rep in our store at the cafe after waiting a few min for her to finish up another interview. She was nice and asked general questions about work history and things such as what was my biggest pet peeve and how I handled disagreements at work. She asked me how much experience I had in retail and with registers, since I have had no register experience she said that's ok they can train me. Finally when it came to references I didn't have 3 professional references and could not use family so I had to use personal and did not remember the last name for one of them so she pretty much ended the interview at that point and told me to call her when I could get the last name for my reference. I felt that it hurt my chance just because of my reference mistake. I have not heard anything back yet so I am hoping I do, she said they would call me.

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2010.

I completed a standard application. Many people applied for part-time bookseller positions in the area, so it was beneficial to know two or more people that worked at that particular Barnes and Noble that I could name on the application. I also gave one of these people my application to submit on my behalf. I was called in for an interview a couple of weeks later. The interview took place in the cafe. After the interview, I was called about a week later and informed that I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite book? This was just difficult because I have so many favorites, so trying to choose one and explain why it was my favorite, which was actually quite personal, was a bit challenging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2012.

Applied and got a call two months later. Interviewed with the assistant manager. Basic questions were asked, and the interview lasted maybe 20 minutes. Was called a moth later to com in for orientation.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, just minimum wage.