Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014

2.2

97 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied online, took a week to schedule interview. Straight-forward.

Interview Questions
  • How would you handle a difficult customer?   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applications are submitted through BN.com only. If you get an interview, you will first interview with an assistant manager, then the store manager.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. predetermined pay rate

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

About 4 months after I applied I was contact by phone for an interview. I met with the manager and an assistant manager a few days later to discuss my retail experience, tastes in books and music, and customer service skills. I was offered the job a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. A fairly laid back interview.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

turned in application, received phone interview, and then face to face interview

management was up front about what could be offered

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Stop by, fill out an application. If your lucky, get a call back for an interview. The manager who interviewed me preferred doing group interviews. So to stand out, one had to have good group dynamic skills and be charismatic enough to stand out in a crowd.

Interview Questions
    There really wasn't any negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2011.

Very basic behavioral interview about how you work with others and how you have felt with difficult customers. If you answer competently the hiring manager will ask you about your availability and when you can start.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions. How would you handle an upset customer?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2012.

Applied and got a call two months later. Interviewed with the assistant manager. Basic questions were asked, and the interview lasted maybe 20 minutes. Was called a moth later to com in for orientation.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations, just minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tigard, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tigard, OR

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2012.

Mailed in a resume and application for a new store opening and got a call back a couple of weeks later for an interview. Interview was very casual and short; lasted maybe 10-15 minutes. Got a call back four days later with an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Cloud, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Cloud, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2012.

I was hired a few months before they completely overhauled the hiring process, so the following information is almost certainly outdated. After submitting a paper application (which they no longer take), I received a phone call from one of the managers in which an interview was scheduled. I came in a half hour early and waited in the coffee shop, where it immediately became obvious that this was where the interviews were being held. I ended up sitting a few feet away from one of the interviews, and got a chance to hear a little bit of it. As I recall, the questions were pretty much what one would expect (previous jobs, strengths/weaknesses, favorite authors, etc.). When it came time for my interview, I ended up talking directly with the Store Manager. My interview ended up being somewhat unconventional; we mostly talked about books and subjects we enjoyed. It felt more like a second interview, and it turned out that was pretty much the case: I felt like I was already hired. However, I had to call them a few times over the next couple of weeks before I heard anything back. When I got a call back, I was told when I was to come in for orientation. Apparently, they are pretty disorganized, as I was not even officially offered the job, pay rate was not discussed, etc. Overall, it was a pretty painless process. Just a bit disorganized.

Interview Questions
    • I was not asked any difficult or unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation phase. I was not formally offered a position; they simply told me when I started.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2009.

I was called in by a friend who worked with the company, interviewed, and hired on the same day. By the time I reached the application process, filling out the actual form felt like nothing more than a formality. That was, of course, before the economy sank.

Interview Questions
    • How has your past work prepared you for this job?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. I was out of work and needed a job as soon as possible.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!