Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.2

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I submitted my resume at the store and was called for an interview within a week. The interview was more of a conversation. We discussed why I was interested in the position, customer service and books.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working at Barnes and Noble?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Union, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Union, NJ) in June 2012.

Interview

The interview process was simple. You apply for the job online or in store and they give you a call up. After that you sit down with a supervisor and they ask you average interview question. Then in like a week I got a call and started working theor as a temp then moved on up to a permanent job which was ok at the time. The process was just great overall in my opinion

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Buffalo, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Two interview process, by two different managers. Both were informal and less than 20 minutes. They asked the basic interview questions - what is your experience in sales, how do you work with teams, how do you create a relationship with the customer, describe a challenge you had in the workplace and how you overcame it, why do you want to work here, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe a challenge in the workplace and how solved the problem or overcame the challenge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Las Vegas, NV) in June 2015.

Interview

Had two interviews, was interviewed by 3 people. The first two people were a bit more intimidating because this is my first job, and answering questions such as "describe a conflict with a coworker" was a bit difficult for me. The second interview was with the hiring manager and it was a bit more casual. I was asked the same questions by all the interviewers, so I got some practice. Getting an interview was harder than the interview itself. When I got hired, 600 other people had applied and there was 1 spot. I was really persistent with calling and leaving my name, stopping by sometimes, and they eventually looked at my application. Since they don't call in many people, if you are really outgoing in your interview and just show them that you really want to work there, then you should have a pretty good shot. Also, when they asked what book I would recommend to others (Contact by Carl Sagan), the ASM was like AAAAHHH NO WAY I LOVE SAGAN and then we just casually talked about Sagan and his awesomeness. Then the next manager seemed to like me and then asked me to come to another interview. After the hiring manager interviewed me she offered me the job right away. So just answer the questions the best you can and don't worry if you're struggling a bit. I did and I got the job.

Interview Questions

• If a customer asked you for a book recommendation, what would you recommend to them and why?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle a situation where a customer wanted to buy a book that was damaged, it was the only one left, and they needed it right then?   1 Answer
    • If you were the only one working at customer services, had 3+ customers in line, the phone started ringing, backup was needed at cash wrap, etc., what would you do?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if a customer was upset about something?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You start with minimum wage. I got the impression that they give raises but I'm not sure.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Portland, OR) in October 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview with assistant store manager first. I was asked about my favorite genre. Then i scheduled an in person interview with the store manager. The questions were rather typical.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2012.

Interview

It was paper back then. Filled it out and brought it back. Called to check on application and got a call to interview the next day. Very kind manager who interviewed me and was very nice in general wasn't rude or made me feel below him which is hard to find in management. Got a call 2 days later asking if I wanted to start working there.

Interview Questions

• What book genre is your favorite?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Pleasant, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Mount Pleasant, SC) in October 2014.

Interview

Fairly straightforward; they ask you questions on how you would sell a membership to someone, what you would do with an unhappy customer, etc. The biggest thing that is going to decide if you get hired is your availability.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell a membership to someone you were ringing up?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Interview

A simple sit-down interview, was only asked three standard interview questions, chatted with the manager for a little bit after the interview was over. There was others waiting so it was a back-to-back type process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

It was very easy. I only had one interview and I was hired. The interview was a group interview with about 6 people in total. It is a very easy non stressful environment and I thought it was going to be more difficult than it was. Just be yourself.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you demonstrated you leadership ability?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Phone screening, one in person interview. Basic "tell me about yourself", strengths and weakness kind of thing. They explained the job and stressed memberships. Ran through scenario questions and previous experience working in retail.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when dealing with a difficult customer?   Answer Question