Barnes & Noble

Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.2

105 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

I applied through their online system more than once. the first time I applied I waited a week before I got a reply and because I was eager I kept checking the site to assure that the position was available. About 5 minutes after I checked the site a week after I applied, I got an email saying the position was filled. So I waited a few minutes and visited the career website and the same store now had two openings instead of the original one. I was kind of upset and thought maybe the email was an error so I applied again and almost a week later I got a phone call setting up an interview. I got all new clothes for the process and my parents were really proud (I'm 17). When I went in they were able to schedule a double back to back interview with 2 managers. I went in with a resume and a certificate detailing my work experience in a library. I also went in with my certification in pre-professional education fundamentals. The first manager was nice and she had a bubbly personality but the second manager came off as very rude and standoffish and flat out told me that since I was young I had very little experience.

Interview Questions
  • How would you handle a customer or coworker that is in a bad mood?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

I applied online a few different times because I was really interested in working here. The last time I applied I got a call from a manager about a week later, but it went to voicemail. I called back and talked to a different manager than the one that called. He took a few minutes to go get my application and resume. He was super nice, and I could tell he actually read my application before talking to me. He asked a couple questions about my previous experience, why I wanted to work here and what some of my favorite books were. He then told me they would be reviewing the applications this week and next and would call me for an interview if they wanted me to come back. I'm still currently waiting for them to call back. Hopefully they do, if not I plan to call just to see what's going on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Process took 13 Days
    I applied on a Wednesday. I really wanted the job so I called the next day to make sure they got my application. I got a call that Sunday from the manager. We did and over the phone interview that lasted about 10 minutes. I was then asked to come in for a one on one interview the very next day.
    I came in and met with the assistant manager. She was very kind and we sat in the café. It was a very informal interview. She asked me general questions, nothing to difficult. At the end she told me I had gotten the second interview, and that I just had to wait for them to call and schedule it. I got a call that Wednesday and went for the interview the following Thursday. It lasted about 30 minutes. More generic questions like how have you dealt with an angry customer.
    I got a call that Monday offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, but some barnes and nobles do a review every few months where you are eligible for a raise

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Metairie, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Metairie, LA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

Two phone interviews followed by two in-person interviews (for a part-time entry-level position.) Everyone was very nice, but frankly they seem to be expecting too much for an $8/hr position. They act like they are interviewing you for a corporate job.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation offered. They also stated that I would be working 15 hours/wk and changed it to 22 without consultation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Del Mar, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Del Mar, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2014.

I was contacted the next day after I sent in my application, had the interview two days later, and was offered the job within a week.

Interview Questions
    • There were no really difficult or unexpected questions. We mainly talked customer service and he gave me specific scenarios with a customer and how I would respond.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2014.

Applied online. It took about 4 days before someone called me to set up an interview which was scheduled for two days after the initial phone call. Went in and the interview lasted 15 minutes. The interviewer was very polite and kind. Didn't feel like a high pressure interview. Notable questions were: What does good customer service mean to you, name a time you helped a difficult customer, why do you want to work here, do you like to read, favorite genre.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2014.

I applied online and received a phone call for a phone interview that was conducted right then. Moved onto an in person interview a few days later. That interview was not great. The phone kept ringing and employees kept coming into the manager's office without knocking during the interview. I felt it was unprofessional, however it may have been a test to see how I reacted.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied online, took a week to schedule interview. Straight-forward.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult customer?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

Hiring manager was cordial and the questions asked were the basic retail scenario questions. After the interview, she went over my availabilities and said she'll tell me her decision within two days. Today is the deadline, and I am still waiting for the call; if I don't hear anything back at the end of the day i guess I didn't meet her expectation. :'(

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

First interview was very standard. Dress business formal/casual. They had the standard scenario questions and to get a feel of who are you as a person. The second interview, with the store manager, was more of the same. Both interviews seemed to want to make sure you were a good fit with the company and that you had some rudimentary knowledge of retail/customer service.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing that stood out--there was the standard of dealing with an unhappy customer.   Answer Question
    I wasn't able to negotiate. In fact, I had to lower my expectation for hourly wage despite my years in retail.