Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

2.2

95 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Bruno, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Questions about books you read, what your work backround is, How you feel about selling memberships, information about the company in general. Most likely you will get a second interview and it's hard to screw up.

Interview Questions
  • If you are willing to say you'll take the ow wage with a straight face.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Del Mar, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Del Mar, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2014.

I was contacted the next day after I sent in my application, had the interview two days later, and was offered the job within a week.

Interview Questions
    • There were no really difficult or unexpected questions. We mainly talked customer service and he gave me specific scenarios with a customer and how I would respond.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Wayne, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2014.

Applied online. It took about 4 days before someone called me to set up an interview which was scheduled for two days after the initial phone call. Went in and the interview lasted 15 minutes. The interviewer was very polite and kind. Didn't feel like a high pressure interview. Notable questions were: What does good customer service mean to you, name a time you helped a difficult customer, why do you want to work here, do you like to read, favorite genre.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Chester, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, OH

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2013.

Online application. Phone interview followed by in-person interview with assistant manager.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very straightforward and what I expected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pembroke Pines, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pembroke Pines, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

It is extremely calm, and relaxed. just answer all the questions and be polite, and courteous and you will be fine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Bruno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

Hiring manager was cordial and the questions asked were the basic retail scenario questions. After the interview, she went over my availabilities and said she'll tell me her decision within two days. Today is the deadline, and I am still waiting for the call; if I don't hear anything back at the end of the day i guess I didn't meet her expectation. :'(

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied online, took a week to schedule interview. Straight-forward.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult customer?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Niskayuna, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Niskayuna, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2010.

I applied to the position of Bookseller. I kept checking back into the store to inquire about my application. Finally I got an interview and it was conducted openly in the cafe. After that I heard nothing so I stopped into the store again the next week and inquired and the manager said I had the job they just had to wait for a position to open up. The first position open was as a Barista in the cafe, so I took it thinking the second a position as bookseller opened up that I would get it. Two years later and many new booksellers had come and gone and I was still in the cafe. At that point I spoke to the managers and made them switch me over to the bookfloor.

Interview Questions
    • For bookseller "What book are you reading?" and "How do you like it?" are loaded questions. They seem just conversational, but really the interviewer is testing to see how well you know the products in the store and how much extra work they will have to put into training you.   Answer Question
    I was not able to negotiate anything. This is a corporation and as so they will only offer you minimum wage unless you are starting in a supervisor's position.

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I went in with little retail experience when I was 18. I interviewed with a merchandising manager then the store manager which took place in the cafe. It was a very relaxed atmosphere and the managers were very nice. The interview was about 30 minutes for each manager (on separate days)

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite book? I should have expected this questions but they are basically testing your ability to sell a title   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Standard interview. It's retail, so don't expect anything too crazy. Simple questions such as scenarios involving helping a customer, what kind of books you enjoy, what kind of employee you believe you are, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me your favorite book. Now, pretend that I am a customer who is on the fence about purchasing the book. Tell me why I should buy it.   Answer Question