Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014

2.2

101 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Bookseller Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Barnes & Noble contacted me 1-2 weeks after I had submitted my application; the manager who called was very nice, asked a couple of questions on the phone, and then set up the interview.
The interview was extremely relaxed. It was actually really busy in the cafe that day, but I just sat at a little table with one of the managers and had probably a 25 minute interview, almost completely regarding my previous experience and how it could be applied to Barnes & Noble as my experience was not in retail. Not only were the questions pretty easy, but the manager was very friendly.
I was offered a job two days after my interview. The whole process was very pleasant and relaxed!

Interview Questions
  • Just simple things like "describe a time when..." and "how did you handle that?"
    "What kind of things do you like to read?"
      Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online and within two weeks, I received a call from a manager. We exchanged a few words and he asked a few questions before setting up an interview date. The date was two days from the phone call. They asked the traditional "Why do you want to work here?" questions. All in all, it was a standard process.

Interview Questions
    • "What is your favorite genre of literature?"   View Answer

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2013.

I applied for a part time/temporary low entry level position at Barnes & Noble. I applied online. The process took about one week. Also, I applied during November. A lot of the paperwork process takes place online. The interviewer was very sweet (one on one) and made me feel as confortable as possible (since it was my first interview ever). I also did not have any previous work experience, but did have community service and an internship.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was pretty easy. The interviewer was very sweet and made one feel as comfortable as posible. The only questions that seem to matter were situational questions such as: how would you behave in this situation? How would you handle certain things? Etc. also, another important one is: why do you want to work at Barnes & Noble? And: What qualifies you to work at Barnes & Noble?   View Answer
    No negotiation. Everything is set at Barnes & Nobles rules.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, OH

Online application. Phone interview followed by in-person interview with assistant manager.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very straightforward and what I expected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Filled out an application at a nearby location for a new store opening. My interview was with an assistant manager who was very personable and a pleasure to work for once the store was open.

Interview Questions
    • This was 7 years ago, so I don't remember many specifics, unfortunately.   Answer Question
    This is a retail position, so there weren't any negotiations. Wage as already set, take it or leave it pretty much.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied online. a few weeks later got a phone call asking if was still interested. Had a short talk with all the standard "why do you want to work here," what book experience do you have" etc. Then a date set for a 30 minute in person interview in a crowded office where people kept coming and going. Pretty standard stuff. Asked if I could deal with being thrown in the deep end with little training. When I said yes, I did not know I would handed to perhaps the crappiest trainer I have ever had who was downright hostile to me (and customers). The two asst managers I dealt with were REALLY good and I immediately respected them.

a simple criminal check, no drug or financial check.

Interview Questions
    • what is your favorite book- (answer does not matter) now sell me that book. Why should I buy it. (which was a pretty good question I thought. A little difficult to keep a straight face when told things about industry I knew were not true, but that's the party line.   Answer Question
    They promised to try and get me a small increase as I had so much experience, but then AFTER being hired said they could not as I was only a temp. I got the feeling they only hire temps to see if they work out.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

I had no experience. I applied online, and I received a call within three days asking me to come in for an interview. The caller asked me to dress professionally, and was very specific about what not to wear. The interview itself was very casual and laid-back, and it took place in the employee office. The interviewer was extremely nice and smiling. She made sure you were comfortable and tried to make you relax. She didn't ask me any unexpected questions at all. Some of the things she asked me were why I wanted to work at Barnes & Noble, what my favorite book was, if I was authorized to work, if I was familiar with the store layout, what my availability was, what my parents worked as... then, she asked the store manager to speak to me, and this lady was even nicer than the previous one. Again, she asked me very straightforward questions: if I knew how to gift wrap, if I wanted to pursue higher education, what I wanted a career in, what genre was my favorite, if I was familiar with big-gun authors etc etc. Nothing difficult at all. She then told me that she would stay in touch with me to let me know what my next steps were.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite book, favorite genre and why?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, because I wanted the experience more than I wanted the pay. However, the employers seemed very flexible when it came to timings. Not so much when it came to the wage.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

I applied online for a part-time Bookseller position and within a day got a voicemail from a manager. I live nearby and went in to speak in person, which was probably a mistake considering how busy they were.

Arranged a 1-on-1 interview, which went well, though again the manager was very busy. The usual behavioral questions, though I think my lack of retail experience hurt me.

Told me they'd be calling back folks for second interviews starting in a couple days. After several days, I called back to check in and they'd done the callbacks and hired someone already.

Interview Questions
    • For me, it was do I have retail experience, to which the answer is "no". I'm finding there is a huge gap between the world of office workers and the retail world, and it's hard to get retail work in bookstores, technology stores, etc, even if you have a lot of experience in the technical fields.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pembroke Pines, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

It is extremely calm, and relaxed. just answer all the questions and be polite, and courteous and you will be fine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Questions about books you read, what your work backround is, How you feel about selling memberships, information about the company in general. Most likely you will get a second interview and it's hard to screw up.

Interview Questions
    • If you are willing to say you'll take the ow wage with a straight face.   Answer Question