Barnes & Noble

2.2

105 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pembroke Pines, FL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pembroke Pines, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

It is extremely calm, and relaxed. just answer all the questions and be polite, and courteous and you will be fine.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Questions about books you read, what your work backround is, How you feel about selling memberships, information about the company in general. Most likely you will get a second interview and it's hard to screw up.

Interview Questions
    • If you are willing to say you'll take the ow wage with a straight face.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

I applied online for a part-time Bookseller position and within a day got a voicemail from a manager. I live nearby and went in to speak in person, which was probably a mistake considering how busy they were.

Arranged a 1-on-1 interview, which went well, though again the manager was very busy. The usual behavioral questions, though I think my lack of retail experience hurt me.

Told me they'd be calling back folks for second interviews starting in a couple days. After several days, I called back to check in and they'd done the callbacks and hired someone already.

Interview Questions
    • For me, it was do I have retail experience, to which the answer is "no". I'm finding there is a huge gap between the world of office workers and the retail world, and it's hard to get retail work in bookstores, technology stores, etc, even if you have a lot of experience in the technical fields.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applications are submitted through BN.com only. If you get an interview, you will first interview with an assistant manager, then the store manager.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. predetermined pay rate

Bookseller Interview

turned in application, received phone interview, and then face to face interview

management was up front about what could be offered

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

You have to go to the store to pick up an application. The day I turned my application in I got a call asking for an interview, which I did the next day. It went well...first I was nervous because we did it in the crowded cafe, but I didn't really notice after a few minutes. The whole thing was very casual. The interviewer was the Merch. Manager, she was very friendly and bubbly. The questions were basic and easy: Give me an example of a time when you worked in a group and someone wasn't doing their job, give me an example of a time when you made someone feel welcome or helped someone out, name 3 strengths and weaknesses, what is your favorite book?, what is your favorite author?, would you rather have your computer, ipod, or cellphone?, why do you want to work here?, give me an example of a time when you were a leader, what would you do on a slow day?, give an example of a time when you provided good customer service.

It was my first job and first job interview ever, so for some of the questions, she told me to use school situations instead. She said I did a good job, and she would set up an interview for me with the store manager. She called me the next day and asked if I could do the interview a couple of days later. The interview with the store manager was more formal, and in a private room, but she was nice as well. It was a lot shorter. She asked me about availability and my ability to get there on time. She also asked what's your favorite book/author? Will you be able to sell membership? And the last question, why should I hire you?

I was called back a couple of days later after they called references and asked if I wanted the job, and that was that.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, a little bit over minimum wage.

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

About 4 months after I applied I was contact by phone for an interview. I met with the manager and an assistant manager a few days later to discuss my retail experience, tastes in books and music, and customer service skills. I was offered the job a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. A fairly laid back interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2013.

I applied online about a month ago and received a phone call to set up an interview a week ago. The interview was with the assistant manager in the cafe and was very friendly and laid back; more of a personality assessment to see if they would actually like working with you. She told me she'd call me back within the week but next week at the latest.
    I found out from my references the next day that she had called them and then called me back that afternoon. She wanted to set up a more formal interview with the manager and we set the date for two days away. This interview was much more formal and he asked in depth questions. I was nervous arriving but felt good when I left since he basically offered me the job contingent on a background check.
    The background check was performed the next day and I was hired the following day.

Overall, a very quick and smooth process.

Interview Questions
    • Since you do not have much previous experience, can you tell me about a time when you experienced a difficulty with another person and how you overcame it.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. This is my first retail job so I was offered minimum wage do to no experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2013.

This was around the time when there were still paper applications, filled it out and handed it in along with my resume to the manager. Make sure you make an effort to COME IN PERSON to the store and introduce yourself to any of the managers. Also make sure to ask for the time when managers come in and their name.

Interview Questions
    • When you were working in retail, tell me about an experience where you were forced to control your stress levels? Thinking back I can really see why I was given that question.   View Answer
    I was given a call that I was hired and ready to start. There was no negotiation with pay. You get what your offered.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2012.

It was a very easy interview. I met with the assistant manager in a closet-cum-interview office, and he asked me a few questions about my previous experience, what I'm reading lately, and why I was interested in working at Barnes and Noble.
    Unfortunately, he told me that a nearby location was closing soon, and that they'd have to absorb some of the former employees after the holiday season.