Barnes & Noble

2.2

108 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Filled out an application at a nearby location for a new store opening. My interview was with an assistant manager who was very personable and a pleasure to work for once the store was open.

Interview Questions
  • This was 7 years ago, so I don't remember many specifics, unfortunately.   Answer Question
This is a retail position, so there weren't any negotiations. Wage as already set, take it or leave it pretty much.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied online. a few weeks later got a phone call asking if was still interested. Had a short talk with all the standard "why do you want to work here," what book experience do you have" etc. Then a date set for a 30 minute in person interview in a crowded office where people kept coming and going. Pretty standard stuff. Asked if I could deal with being thrown in the deep end with little training. When I said yes, I did not know I would handed to perhaps the crappiest trainer I have ever had who was downright hostile to me (and customers). The two asst managers I dealt with were REALLY good and I immediately respected them.

a simple criminal check, no drug or financial check.

Interview Questions
    • what is your favorite book- (answer does not matter) now sell me that book. Why should I buy it. (which was a pretty good question I thought. A little difficult to keep a straight face when told things about industry I knew were not true, but that's the party line.   Answer Question
    They promised to try and get me a small increase as I had so much experience, but then AFTER being hired said they could not as I was only a temp. I got the feeling they only hire temps to see if they work out.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

I had no experience. I applied online, and I received a call within three days asking me to come in for an interview. The caller asked me to dress professionally, and was very specific about what not to wear. The interview itself was very casual and laid-back, and it took place in the employee office. The interviewer was extremely nice and smiling. She made sure you were comfortable and tried to make you relax. She didn't ask me any unexpected questions at all. Some of the things she asked me were why I wanted to work at Barnes & Noble, what my favorite book was, if I was authorized to work, if I was familiar with the store layout, what my availability was, what my parents worked as... then, she asked the store manager to speak to me, and this lady was even nicer than the previous one. Again, she asked me very straightforward questions: if I knew how to gift wrap, if I wanted to pursue higher education, what I wanted a career in, what genre was my favorite, if I was familiar with big-gun authors etc etc. Nothing difficult at all. She then told me that she would stay in touch with me to let me know what my next steps were.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite book, favorite genre and why?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, because I wanted the experience more than I wanted the pay. However, the employers seemed very flexible when it came to timings. Not so much when it came to the wage.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

I applied online for a part-time Bookseller position and within a day got a voicemail from a manager. I live nearby and went in to speak in person, which was probably a mistake considering how busy they were.

Arranged a 1-on-1 interview, which went well, though again the manager was very busy. The usual behavioral questions, though I think my lack of retail experience hurt me.

Told me they'd be calling back folks for second interviews starting in a couple days. After several days, I called back to check in and they'd done the callbacks and hired someone already.

Interview Questions
    • For me, it was do I have retail experience, to which the answer is "no". I'm finding there is a huge gap between the world of office workers and the retail world, and it's hard to get retail work in bookstores, technology stores, etc, even if you have a lot of experience in the technical fields.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pembroke Pines, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

It is extremely calm, and relaxed. just answer all the questions and be polite, and courteous and you will be fine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Bruno, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Questions about books you read, what your work backround is, How you feel about selling memberships, information about the company in general. Most likely you will get a second interview and it's hard to screw up.

Interview Questions
    • If you are willing to say you'll take the ow wage with a straight face.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applications are submitted through BN.com only. If you get an interview, you will first interview with an assistant manager, then the store manager.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. predetermined pay rate

Bookseller Interview

turned in application, received phone interview, and then face to face interview

management was up front about what could be offered

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

You have to go to the store to pick up an application. The day I turned my application in I got a call asking for an interview, which I did the next day. It went well...first I was nervous because we did it in the crowded cafe, but I didn't really notice after a few minutes. The whole thing was very casual. The interviewer was the Merch. Manager, she was very friendly and bubbly. The questions were basic and easy: Give me an example of a time when you worked in a group and someone wasn't doing their job, give me an example of a time when you made someone feel welcome or helped someone out, name 3 strengths and weaknesses, what is your favorite book?, what is your favorite author?, would you rather have your computer, ipod, or cellphone?, why do you want to work here?, give me an example of a time when you were a leader, what would you do on a slow day?, give an example of a time when you provided good customer service.

It was my first job and first job interview ever, so for some of the questions, she told me to use school situations instead. She said I did a good job, and she would set up an interview for me with the store manager. She called me the next day and asked if I could do the interview a couple of days later. The interview with the store manager was more formal, and in a private room, but she was nice as well. It was a lot shorter. She asked me about availability and my ability to get there on time. She also asked what's your favorite book/author? Will you be able to sell membership? And the last question, why should I hire you?

I was called back a couple of days later after they called references and asked if I wanted the job, and that was that.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, a little bit over minimum wage.

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

About 4 months after I applied I was contact by phone for an interview. I met with the manager and an assistant manager a few days later to discuss my retail experience, tastes in books and music, and customer service skills. I was offered the job a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. A fairly laid back interview.   Answer Question