Barnes & Noble Bookseller Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.2

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I went in with little retail experience when I was 18. I interviewed with a merchandising manager then the store manager which took place in the cafe. It was a very relaxed atmosphere and the managers were very nice. The interview was about 30 minutes for each manager (on separate days)

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite book? I should have expected this questions but they are basically testing your ability to sell a title   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Standard interview. It's retail, so don't expect anything too crazy. Simple questions such as scenarios involving helping a customer, what kind of books you enjoy, what kind of employee you believe you are, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me your favorite book. Now, pretend that I am a customer who is on the fence about purchasing the book. Tell me why I should buy it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

I applied online and few hours later someone called to set up an interview. We had a mini phone interview (why b&n). Set up interview for same day. It was at the cafe in store

Interview Questions

• what books are you reading atm, what is your fave book, how would you approach a customer etc.- just smile and seem approachable   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation. $8

Bookseller Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Barnes & Noble contacted me 1-2 weeks after I had submitted my application; the manager who called was very nice, asked a couple of questions on the phone, and then set up the interview. The interview was extremely relaxed. It was actually really busy in the cafe that day, but I just sat at a little table with one of the managers and had probably a 25 minute interview, almost completely regarding my previous experience and how it could be applied to Barnes & Noble as my experience was not in retail. Not only were the questions pretty easy, but the manager was very friendly. I was offered a job two days after my interview. The whole process was very pleasant and relaxed!

Interview Questions

• Just simple things like "describe a time when..." and "how did you handle that?" "What kind of things do you like to read?"   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied online and within two weeks, I received a call from a manager. We exchanged a few words and he asked a few questions before setting up an interview date. The date was two days from the phone call. They asked the traditional "Why do you want to work here?" questions. All in all, it was a standard process.

Interview Questions

• "What is your favorite genre of literature?"   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2013.

Interview

I applied for a part time/temporary low entry level position at Barnes & Noble. I applied online. The process took about one week. Also, I applied during November. A lot of the paperwork process takes place online. The interviewer was very sweet (one on one) and made me feel as confortable as possible (since it was my first interview ever). I also did not have any previous work experience, but did have community service and an internship.

Interview Questions

• The interview was pretty easy. The interviewer was very sweet and made one feel as comfortable as posible. The only questions that seem to matter were situational questions such as: how would you behave in this situation? How would you handle certain things? Etc. also, another important one is: why do you want to work at Barnes & Noble? And: What qualifies you to work at Barnes & Noble?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation. Everything is set at Barnes & Nobles rules.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (West Chester, OH) in November 2013.

Interview

Online application. Phone interview followed by in-person interview with assistant manager.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very straightforward and what I expected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milford, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Milford, CT).

Interview

Filled out an application at a nearby location for a new store opening. My interview was with an assistant manager who was very personable and a pleasure to work for once the store was open.

Interview Questions

• This was 7 years ago, so I don't remember many specifics, unfortunately.   Answer Question

Negotiation

This is a retail position, so there weren't any negotiations. Wage as already set, take it or leave it pretty much.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Portland, OR) in October 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview with assistant store manager first. I was asked about my favorite genre. Then i scheduled an in person interview with the store manager. The questions were rather typical.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online. a few weeks later got a phone call asking if was still interested. Had a short talk with all the standard "why do you want to work here," what book experience do you have" etc. Then a date set for a 30 minute in person interview in a crowded office where people kept coming and going. Pretty standard stuff. Asked if I could deal with being thrown in the deep end with little training. When I said yes, I did not know I would handed to perhaps the crappiest trainer I have ever had who was downright hostile to me (and customers). The two asst managers I dealt with were REALLY good and I immediately respected them. a simple criminal check, no drug or financial check.

Interview Questions

• what is your favorite book- (answer does not matter) now sell me that book. Why should I buy it. (which was a pretty good question I thought. A little difficult to keep a straight face when told things about industry I knew were not true, but that's the party line.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They promised to try and get me a small increase as I had so much experience, but then AFTER being hired said they could not as I was only a temp. I got the feeling they only hire temps to see if they work out.