Barnes & Noble Cafe Server Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.2

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview that lasted maybe five minutes. The cafe manager outlined the duties expected of me, and asked if I was still interested. I said yes, and scheduled an interview with her a days later. During this interview, she asked me if I had any previous food handling experience, examples of great customer service, and what I would do if a customer came up to me and had no idea what to order. Since the cafe is "not a Starbucks but just licensed to sell their drinks", I still was not familiar with their drinks. But it's not an issue if you're not familiar with coffee at all. After the interview with the cafe manager, I then did a final interview with the store manager. It was basically the same, but we talked more about the benefits I would receive, hours, etc. She offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when a customer doesn't know what to order?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Stamford, CT) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online, was called a few days later for an interview which was simple, they asked questions like "What inspires you in the workplace?" and "How do you make a customer feel comfortable?" as well as things about my favorite cafe products and my favorite books. I have barista experience and also managed a supermarket bakery so my experience matched the job. After the interview they asked for my references (I gave a coworker and a former manager), which they called IMMEDIATELY after the interview. A few days later I received an accidental email informing me that the position had been filled, and then a phone call explaining that it was an accident and they had meant to send me a background check. After I filled out the background check they called two days later and offered me a position.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle it if, for example, you were very absorbed in cleaning the bakery case and a customer came in looking for a drink?   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied online. Didn't get hired, they needed someone with more experience. I visit there often just to study so there was no bad feelings. And the last time I went they already hired someone new.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite cafe drink?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Gulfport, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Gulfport, MS) in May 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with the Café manager and one of the store managers. Lasted 30 minutes. Very laid back and they were very nice. After the interview, I was sure that I didn't get the job. Sure enough they called about a week later and asked for my references. Another week passed and they called back and scheduled an orientation with me.

Anonymous Employee in North Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (North Little Rock, AR) in May 2015.

Interview

I was called in for a brief interview about two weeks after I filled out an application online. I went in and honestly just had a casual conversation with the store manager and an M.O.D. It was very light, no hard or trick questions. They were just looking for confidence and competence, mostly. We ended up mostly just talking about our mutual loves for books and coffee most of the time. I was hired on the spot after about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How do you confront coworkers or classmates when conflict arises in a task/project?   1 Answer

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2015.

Interview

I received an email notifying me that they were hiring. I applied online through the website and within a few days I received a call from the Cafe Manager asking me if I was interested in an interview. We met in the cafe and during the interview was discussed my resume. I talked about my previous barista and food service jobs and experience. We discussed different questions about the job and what the situation would be like. The Cafe Manager asked about my references and then sent me off to speak with the assistant store manager. The ASM asked me standard interview questions and asked how I felt reporting theft if I witnessed it. We also spoke about hairy situations and how I handled them. Overall, it was smooth and easy. The managers are wonderful at their job and very easy to speak with. The people at the store are wonderful and really enjoy their jobs. As a longtime customer I was really excited to be offered a job and glad I was given the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What type of Starbucks drinks could I prepare and how knowledgeable was I of them. also, was I familiar with Starbucks standards.   Answer Question
    • How comfortable I was handling food and my knowledge of food safety practices.   Answer Question
    • Describe an instance where I went above and beyond for a customer. What did I do and what was the customers reaction.   Answer Question
    • Describe an instance where I had to take charge of a hairy situation. What specifics did I do to remedy the situation.   Answer Question
    • How would you sell additional food and drinks to a customer? (i.e. how comfortable was I with upselling food and drink)   Answer Question

Negotiation

$8.75/hr. There was no negotiations. Standard pay above minimum wage.

Anonymous Employee in Surprise, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Surprise, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

I got a call from a cafe manager I believe and scheduled my interview. I went in it and it was in the cafe itself. She asked many questions and was very friendly, a lot of scenario questions. Then after that interview I got a 2nd interview with the manager of the store. And since then it went well and they are currently doing a background check. They also called all four of my references.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about sales?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fayetteville, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Fayetteville, AR) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, within a week they called me back & asked for an interview in four days time. I went and spent 20 minutes interviewing, i'm typically very nervous but it was the best interview experience i've ever had, i was interview by the cafe manager and the barnes and noble sales director and they were the nicest two guys and i wasn't nervous at all.

Interview Questions

• If a customer didn't know what to order how would help them?   1 Answer

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2014.

Interview

Saw that they were hiring on a job search app and immediately applied. I applied online, and it took about a week and a half to get a response. They called to set up an interview for a Monday. I was completely prepared since I had some experience from a previous job. At the interview he asked a series of questions, but the hardest was, have you ever had to sell a membership card to a customer, and how would you go about doing it. I swear the interview only lasted 5 minutes, although he was very friendly during the whole process. At the end he told me if I was selected for the position I should get a email confirming a background check. I never got it, but he ended up calling a few days later by phone to tell me I had gotten the position, and that he'd send the link by email. I was very excited. Over all, it was a quick process.

Interview Questions

• How would you fix a mistake you made while at work? How would you get to know your fellow employees & managers?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be prepared for the questions. It's also good to have had some food related experience, the experience can come in handy when answering the questions.

Anonymous Employee in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Aliso Viejo, CA).

Interview

There was only one interview for me and it was a group interview. You should be totally chill during this interview. For me it was like I was talking to a bunch a friends. After that you should receive a call from the manager of the store and he/she will talk to you over the phone. It was a fairly simple process and very fun to go through.

Interview Questions

• In your previous job how did you deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question