Barnes & Noble Cafe Server Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2014

2.1

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

I applied online and was called the next day to schedule an interview the following week after a very brief phone interview to make sure I fit the position needs. I know this normally isn't the case but I'm sure it depends on the timing, I know I normally would not be the first called because I have little to no paid work history. I arrived about five minutes early for the interview and was offered a drink which was used later in the interview. I was interviewed by the Cafe manager and the questions were fairly easy, a lot of them being situational (i.e. asking how I would handle stressful situations and how I would work with a team or build relationships with others on a team). After the interview with the cafe manager, the store manager came and asked me a lot of similar questions also about teamwork and my volunteer work because I had very little work history. One of the questions was also about how I fixed a mistake I made. I was also asked for references so make sure you have some ready! My people told me they actually did check in just to make sure I wasn't lying about my volunteer stuff. I got a call two days after my initial interview offering the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions
Not much to negotiate because this is my first job

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Applied in August 2014 online, contacted within one week by the Cafe Manager and was told to come in for an interview the following week. Arrived 15 minutes early and reported to the cafe area, had to wait as he was busy with another interview. Had to wait a few more minutes as he gave instruction to a employee. Did not notice I was there until pointed out, went through the interview process but he had to leave in the middle of a question to handle a phone call. Finished the interview (about 20-25 minutes) and was told that he would give the information to his store manager. Did not receive a call back but a standard interview overall.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions: Why do you want to work here? How do you handle mistakes? What kind of coffee is your favorite? etc...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Eugene, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

I received a phone call from the lead server about 3 weeks after applying for the job, and was asked a few basic questions right away. (why did you apply for this job, why Barnes & Noble, etc.) At the end of this call, we scheduled an in-person interview two days later.

The in-person interview was very informal, and the lead server just interviewed me right in the store cafe. The questions were pretty straightforward and were mostly focused on how I would provide good customer service, or how my previous employment made me a good fit for the position. Some questions were a bit odd though, and the interviewer seemed really skeptical about whether I really wanted the job or not (I did). Overall, I got the impression that he didn't particularly want to be doing interviews at the time.

After the interview, which lasted about 20 minutes, he said that he would be interviewing 3 other candidates during the week, and that he would let me know within a few days whether I had made it to the next round of interviews. It's been about 3 weeks, and I haven't heard a peep.

Interview Questions
    • How would you help to make our many regular customers feel welcomed and comfortable?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gaithersburg, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Received a call to schedule an interview after applying online - took about a week. Interview was informal but pleasant, spoke to both the cafe manager and the store manager, each for about 15-20 minutes. Received an email in a few days informing me that they would be hiring other individuals. Overall experience was not at all unpleasant or difficult; though I was not chosen to be hired, I was not left bitter at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Victorville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victorville, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

Filled out the online application and received a phone call the next day for a short phone interview and subsequent business casual, group interview at the location. They were a bit late in starting and there were 6 other interviewees there, along with the manager, assistant manager, and lead cafe server. We interviewed in what I could only assume was the breakroom. After a short business spiel from the manager of the store talking about the 3 positions available, we did small introductions and then we were asked to go out and pick one item from the store. When we got back we were asked to introduce the item and attempt to "sell" it to the other interviewees and interviewers. They deliberated privately in the manager's office for about five minutes and then returned and followed up on everyone's applications about time availability for working. They then told us that they would reach out by phone or email to each candidate for a 1:1 follow-up interview if we were chosen and then the interview was over. They conveniently held back three interviewees to do a little more follow-up on their applications. It's been over a week and I have not been contacted. Oh, well.

Interview Questions
    • I guess we were just being tested on our selling ability during this interview. I read that they sometimes do this, but I had prepared for the cafe server position, not the bookseller position. Apparently, they cross-train all employees at Barnes & Noble so that any employee can fill in if another calls in sick or any other emergency.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Birmingham, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, AL

I applied online. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

Applied to work for the Holidays in November, got a call to interview in March of the following year because they were desperate for people. Had a phone interview, then came in for a face-to-face. The cafe manger didn't make eye contact with me half the time in the interview and seemed distracted by everything else around me as she loudly smacked on her gum.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation in which you had to learn something fast.   View Answer
    No negotiation

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online for the Cafe Server position (PT). I was called within 3 days for an interview. The interview lasted about 30 mins as I was also interviewed by the Associate Manager. They said usually they call an applicant back for the second interview, but I was told they really needed workers very soon. I was sent an e-mail the next day with a background check request, which I filled out immediately. I heard back from them on Friday (interviewed on Wednesday) and was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions asked about how you handled certain situations at other jobs (i.e. what kind of conflicts have you had with your peer/co-worker and how did you handle/solve that conflict). The Associate Manager also asked "What question did you expect us to ask, that you prepared for, but we did not ask?" I said "I expected to be asked, 'What is your favorite book?'" Which she then asked.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manhasset, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhasset, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied through the Barnes and Noble career website. Make sure to put down a lot of available times. At the interview they just asked how you would handle an angry customer, previous experience and availability.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. You get a wage based off of your experience.

Cafe Server Interview

the hiring and interview process was of the easiest variety. there was an in person interview at the store location that consisted of a short conversation. the next day was orientation, also at the store, where we learned about barnes and noble as a company and work place. there was a standard backround check but no drug test.

Interview Questions
    • there was no difficult or unexpected questions. the entire thing was quite predictable and would not require any preparation for a person of even slightly below average intelligence.   Answer Question
    no negotiation, an offer was made that would not be changed. take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fredericksburg, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2012.

I applied through a friend, but was encouraged to fill out an application in-store and to bring in a resume. After filling it out, I was told to come back later in the day to be interviewed by the assistant manager and the cafe manager. They asked me straightforward questions that were neither difficult nor easy, but I had to think on my feet for a few of them. The interviews lasted about 10 minutes each, and then I was told that I would be expecting a phone call from the store manager within the next week. By the seventh day, I finally got the call, and she interviewed me with a few more questions before letting me know I received the job. Again, the questions were not too hard to answer, but it was hard to impress her with quick answers through the phone! She informed me of the hourly rate and mentioned when orientation would start. Overall, it was a great experience applying to the store.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you didn't know how to make a certain drink?   Answer Question
    • What book are you currently reading?   View Answer

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!