Barnes & Noble Cafe Server Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.2

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied online. Didn't get hired, they needed someone with more experience. I visit there often just to study so there was no bad feelings. And the last time I went they already hired someone new.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite cafe drink?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gulfport, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Gulfport, MS) in May 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with the Café manager and one of the store managers. Lasted 30 minutes. Very laid back and they were very nice. After the interview, I was sure that I didn't get the job. Sure enough they called about a week later and asked for my references. Another week passed and they called back and scheduled an orientation with me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (North Little Rock, AR) in May 2015.

Interview

I was called in for a brief interview about two weeks after I filled out an application online. I went in and honestly just had a casual conversation with the store manager and an M.O.D. It was very light, no hard or trick questions. They were just looking for confidence and competence, mostly. We ended up mostly just talking about our mutual loves for books and coffee most of the time. I was hired on the spot after about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How do you confront coworkers or classmates when conflict arises in a task/project?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surprise, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Surprise, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

I got a call from a cafe manager I believe and scheduled my interview. I went in it and it was in the cafe itself. She asked many questions and was very friendly, a lot of scenario questions. Then after that interview I got a 2nd interview with the manager of the store. And since then it went well and they are currently doing a background check. They also called all four of my references.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about sales?   1 Answer

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2015.

Interview

I received an email notifying me that they were hiring. I applied online through the website and within a few days I received a call from the Cafe Manager asking me if I was interested in an interview. We met in the cafe and during the interview was discussed my resume. I talked about my previous barista and food service jobs and experience. We discussed different questions about the job and what the situation would be like. The Cafe Manager asked about my references and then sent me off to speak with the assistant store manager. The ASM asked me standard interview questions and asked how I felt reporting theft if I witnessed it. We also spoke about hairy situations and how I handled them. Overall, it was smooth and easy. The managers are wonderful at their job and very easy to speak with. The people at the store are wonderful and really enjoy their jobs. As a longtime customer I was really excited to be offered a job and glad I was given the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What type of Starbucks drinks could I prepare and how knowledgeable was I of them. also, was I familiar with Starbucks standards.   Answer Question
    • How comfortable I was handling food and my knowledge of food safety practices.   Answer Question
    • Describe an instance where I went above and beyond for a customer. What did I do and what was the customers reaction.   Answer Question
    • Describe an instance where I had to take charge of a hairy situation. What specifics did I do to remedy the situation.   Answer Question
    • How would you sell additional food and drinks to a customer? (i.e. how comfortable was I with upselling food and drink)   Answer Question

Negotiation

$8.75/hr. There was no negotiations. Standard pay above minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fayetteville, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Fayetteville, AR) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online, within a week they called me back & asked for an interview in four days time. I went and spent 20 minutes interviewing, i'm typically very nervous but it was the best interview experience i've ever had, i was interview by the cafe manager and the barnes and noble sales director and they were the nicest two guys and i wasn't nervous at all.

Interview Questions

• If a customer didn't know what to order how would help them?   1 Answer

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2014.

Interview

Saw that they were hiring on a job search app and immediately applied. I applied online, and it took about a week and a half to get a response. They called to set up an interview for a Monday. I was completely prepared since I had some experience from a previous job. At the interview he asked a series of questions, but the hardest was, have you ever had to sell a membership card to a customer, and how would you go about doing it. I swear the interview only lasted 5 minutes, although he was very friendly during the whole process. At the end he told me if I was selected for the position I should get a email confirming a background check. I never got it, but he ended up calling a few days later by phone to tell me I had gotten the position, and that he'd send the link by email. I was very excited. Over all, it was a quick process.

Interview Questions

• How would you fix a mistake you made while at work? How would you get to know your fellow employees & managers?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be prepared for the questions. It's also good to have had some food related experience, the experience can come in handy when answering the questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aliso Viejo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Aliso Viejo, CA).

Interview

There was only one interview for me and it was a group interview. You should be totally chill during this interview. For me it was like I was talking to a bunch a friends. After that you should receive a call from the manager of the store and he/she will talk to you over the phone. It was a fairly simple process and very fun to go through.

Interview Questions

• In your previous job how did you deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online for a part time position at the Cafe, and about a week later I was called for an interview. The interview went really well. It was very casual, being in the actual cafe, which put me a little bit at ease since it was my first interview ever. I was asked questions about my skills from my old job that would be relevant to the job as a server. And other questions similar to that. It was fairly easy. After the interview I had to fill out an application on paper, mainly to give them my references. She said that she would call me back whenever she had talked to all my references. After about a week and a half I got a call back from her to return to do an interview with the store manager.

Interview Questions

• I had a difficult time answering the question how would I deal with an angry/unsatisfied customer. the only reason i had trouble with this was because I had never had to deal with one.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I applied online for a part-time position. Received a phone call in which I was asked a few questions and then offered an interview the next day. For the first interview, we reviewed my past employment history. The interviewer then put me through their standard behavioral test in which I was asked a lot of scenario questions and was supposed to give an example of a time I have faced that in my own career. At the end of the interview, the interviewer set up another interview for me with the store manager. Between interviews, they had a background check done and called up my referrals. The second interview was pretty quick- not really sure what the point was to that one. Was asked some questions liked "do you buy from Barnes and Nobles?" "Do you like coffee?" "Go to starbucks" "What do you expect from Starbucks?" (Worded really strangely...I wasn't sure what he was getting at with that question).