Barnes & Noble

Average Difficulty
27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Victorville, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

Interview Details – Filled out the online application and received a phone call the next day for a short phone interview and subsequent business casual, group interview at the location. They were a bit late in starting and there were 6 other interviewees there, along with the manager, assistant manager, and lead cafe server. We interviewed in what I could only assume was the breakroom. After a short business spiel from the manager of the store talking about the 3 positions available, we did small introductions and then we were asked to go out and pick one item from the store. When we got back we were asked to introduce the item and attempt to "sell" it to the other interviewees and interviewers. They deliberated privately in the manager's office for about five minutes and then returned and followed up on everyone's applications about time availability for working. They then told us that they would reach out by phone or email to each candidate for a 1:1 follow-up interview if we were chosen and then the interview was over. They conveniently held back three interviewees to do a little more follow-up on their applications. It's been over a week and I have not been contacted. Oh, well.

Interview Question – I guess we were just being tested on our selling ability during this interview. I read that they sometimes do this, but I had prepared for the cafe server position, not the bookseller position. Apparently, they cross-train all employees at Barnes & Noble so that any employee can fill in if another calls in sick or any other emergency.   Answer Question

Birmingham, AL

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied to work for the Holidays in November, got a call to interview in March of the following year because they were desperate for people. Had a phone interview, then came in for a face-to-face. The cafe manger didn't make eye contact with me half the time in the interview and seemed distracted by everything else around me as she loudly smacked on her gum.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation in which you had to learn something fast.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Cafe Server

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I applied online for the Cafe Server position (PT). I was called within 3 days for an interview. The interview lasted about 30 mins as I was also interviewed by the Associate Manager. They said usually they call an applicant back for the second interview, but I was told they really needed workers very soon. I was sent an e-mail the next day with a background check request, which I filled out immediately. I heard back from them on Friday (interviewed on Wednesday) and was offered the position.

Interview Question – Most of the questions asked about how you handled certain situations at other jobs (i.e. what kind of conflicts have you had with your peer/co-worker and how did you handle/solve that conflict). The Associate Manager also asked "What question did you expect us to ask, that you prepared for, but we did not ask?" I said "I expected to be asked, 'What is your favorite book?'" Which she then asked.   Answer Question

Manhasset, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Applied through the Barnes and Noble career website. Make sure to put down a lot of available times. At the interview they just asked how you would handle an angry customer, previous experience and availability.

Interview Question – How would you handle an angry customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. You get a wage based off of your experience.

Interviewed at Barnes & Noble

Interview Details – the hiring and interview process was of the easiest variety. there was an in person interview at the store location that consisted of a short conversation. the next day was orientation, also at the store, where we learned about barnes and noble as a company and work place. there was a standard backround check but no drug test.

Interview Question – there was no difficult or unexpected questions. the entire thing was quite predictable and would not require any preparation for a person of even slightly below average intelligence.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, an offer was made that would not be changed. take it or leave it.

Fredericksburg, VA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2012.

Interview Details – I applied through a friend, but was encouraged to fill out an application in-store and to bring in a resume. After filling it out, I was told to come back later in the day to be interviewed by the assistant manager and the cafe manager. They asked me straightforward questions that were neither difficult nor easy, but I had to think on my feet for a few of them. The interviews lasted about 10 minutes each, and then I was told that I would be expecting a phone call from the store manager within the next week. By the seventh day, I finally got the call, and she interviewed me with a few more questions before letting me know I received the job. Again, the questions were not too hard to answer, but it was hard to impress her with quick answers through the phone! She informed me of the hourly rate and mentioned when orientation would start. Overall, it was a great experience applying to the store.

Interview Questions

Seattle, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, got called 2 weeks later from the cafe manager who conducted the phone interview right then. She wanted me to come in for an in-person interview but i was going to be out of town for a couple weeks. She said she'd call when I got back into town. She called 4 days after I returned I had thought she had forgotten about me and wasn't interested. I went in for a 1:1 interview with her. It was about 40 minutes long repeated some of the questions she'd asked during the phone interview. I was called back 2 days later to have an interview with the store manager. I went in for that interview and it was about 20 minutes long. I was then contacted to fill out a form for a background check.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – didn't negotiate

Vancouver, WA

I applied online - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call for an interview about a week later. It was an individual interview. I was asked only 3 questions,

1. Tell me about how you greet customers.
2. Tell me about a time you've given good customer service.
3. Do you have Barista experience.

The interview lasted 10 minutes. I was also told that the average part time employee gets a maximum of 20 hours a week.

Interview Question – None of the questions were difficult per say.   View Answer

Olympia, WA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted app. online, called that day for a interview, interviewed by dept. manager ( I think, she never really said ), spoke with the store mgr. Was told job was around 10 $ a hr.

Interview Question – They both asked the same kind of questions, tell me about a time you had to deal with a upset customer and what did you do.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – When they called to offer me the job she said it was only min. wage. I was alittle shocked since the store manager told me 10 dollars a hr. not min. I'm not a child and this is not my first job, I need to make more than min. wage to feed my family. This is probably a good place to work if you really don't need to survive.

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2013.

Interview Details – After a brief phone interview, I was asked to interview in person at the store. When I got there, the manager was busy with customers so I sat and waited for about ten minutes.
When business slowed down enough, the cafe manager sat down to begin the interview. It was really simple - she asked me if I knew how to up sell, if I could work alone with minimal supervision, if I had ever worked in a cafe before, and if I liked books. It was really low-key.
Afterwards she brought the district manager to me, who offered me the position - contingent on references. I gave him a list of references he could call - which he did. Afterwards they set up orientation.

Interview Question – I was actually very surprised they wanted me to give them a list of references! I was interviewing for a part-time position with minimal hours - not something I'd expect references for in order to get.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was asked how many years of work experience I had, and then they offered me .75 cent more an hour - the maximum they could start me off at.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!