Barnes & Noble

Updated Nov 16, 2014

2.2

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2014.

Saw that they were hiring on a job search app and immediately applied. I applied online, and it took about a week and a half to get a response. They called to set up an interview for a Monday. I was completely prepared since I had some experience from a previous job. At the interview he asked a series of questions, but the hardest was, have you ever had to sell a membership card to a customer, and how would you go about doing it. I swear the interview only lasted 5 minutes, although he was very friendly during the whole process. At the end he told me if I was selected for the position I should get a email confirming a background check. I never got it, but he ended up calling a few days later by phone to tell me I had gotten the position, and that he'd send the link by email. I was very excited. Over all, it was a quick process.

Interview Questions
  • How would you fix a mistake you made while at work?
    How would you get to know your fellow employees & managers?
      Answer Question
Be prepared for the questions. It's also good to have had some food related experience, the experience can come in handy when answering the questions.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aliso Viejo, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aliso Viejo, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

There was only one interview for me and it was a group interview. You should be totally chill during this interview. For me it was like I was talking to a bunch a friends. After that you should receive a call from the manager of the store and he/she will talk to you over the phone. It was a fairly simple process and very fun to go through.

Interview Questions
    • In your previous job how did you deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2014.

I applied online for a part time position at the Cafe, and about a week later I was called for an interview. The interview went really well. It was very casual, being in the actual cafe, which put me a little bit at ease since it was my first interview ever. I was asked questions about my skills from my old job that would be relevant to the job as a server. And other questions similar to that. It was fairly easy. After the interview I had to fill out an application on paper, mainly to give them my references. She said that she would call me back whenever she had talked to all my references. After about a week and a half I got a call back from her to return to do an interview with the store manager.

Interview Questions
    • I had a difficult time answering the question how would I deal with an angry/unsatisfied customer. the only reason i had trouble with this was because I had never had to deal with one.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online for a part-time position. Received a phone call in which I was asked a few questions and then offered an interview the next day. For the first interview, we reviewed my past employment history. The interviewer then put me through their standard behavioral test in which I was asked a lot of scenario questions and was supposed to give an example of a time I have faced that in my own career. At the end of the interview, the interviewer set up another interview for me with the store manager. Between interviews, they had a background check done and called up my referrals.

The second interview was pretty quick- not really sure what the point was to that one. Was asked some questions liked "do you buy from Barnes and Nobles?" "Do you like coffee?" "Go to starbucks" "What do you expect from Starbucks?" (Worded really strangely...I wasn't sure what he was getting at with that question).

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Applied in August 2014 online, contacted within one week by the Cafe Manager and was told to come in for an interview the following week. Arrived 15 minutes early and reported to the cafe area, had to wait as he was busy with another interview. Had to wait a few more minutes as he gave instruction to a employee. Did not notice I was there until pointed out, went through the interview process but he had to leave in the middle of a question to handle a phone call. Finished the interview (about 20-25 minutes) and was told that he would give the information to his store manager. Did not receive a call back but a standard interview overall.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions: Why do you want to work here? How do you handle mistakes? What kind of coffee is your favorite? etc...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

I received a phone call from the lead server about 3 weeks after applying for the job, and was asked a few basic questions right away. (why did you apply for this job, why Barnes & Noble, etc.) At the end of this call, we scheduled an in-person interview two days later.

The in-person interview was very informal, and the lead server just interviewed me right in the store cafe. The questions were pretty straightforward and were mostly focused on how I would provide good customer service, or how my previous employment made me a good fit for the position. Some questions were a bit odd though, and the interviewer seemed really skeptical about whether I really wanted the job or not (I did). Overall, I got the impression that he didn't particularly want to be doing interviews at the time.

After the interview, which lasted about 20 minutes, he said that he would be interviewing 3 other candidates during the week, and that he would let me know within a few days whether I had made it to the next round of interviews. It's been about 3 weeks, and I haven't heard a peep.

Interview Questions
    • How would you help to make our many regular customers feel welcomed and comfortable?   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

I applied online and was called the next day to schedule an interview the following week after a very brief phone interview to make sure I fit the position needs. I know this normally isn't the case but I'm sure it depends on the timing, I know I normally would not be the first called because I have little to no paid work history. I arrived about five minutes early for the interview and was offered a drink which was used later in the interview. I was interviewed by the Cafe manager and the questions were fairly easy, a lot of them being situational (i.e. asking how I would handle stressful situations and how I would work with a team or build relationships with others on a team). After the interview with the cafe manager, the store manager came and asked me a lot of similar questions also about teamwork and my volunteer work because I had very little work history. One of the questions was also about how I fixed a mistake I made. I was also asked for references so make sure you have some ready! My people told me they actually did check in just to make sure I wasn't lying about my volunteer stuff. I got a call two days after my initial interview offering the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    Not much to negotiate because this is my first job

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Received a call to schedule an interview after applying online - took about a week. Interview was informal but pleasant, spoke to both the cafe manager and the store manager, each for about 15-20 minutes. Received an email in a few days informing me that they would be hiring other individuals. Overall experience was not at all unpleasant or difficult; though I was not chosen to be hired, I was not left bitter at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victorville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Victorville, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

Filled out the online application and received a phone call the next day for a short phone interview and subsequent business casual, group interview at the location. They were a bit late in starting and there were 6 other interviewees there, along with the manager, assistant manager, and lead cafe server. We interviewed in what I could only assume was the breakroom. After a short business spiel from the manager of the store talking about the 3 positions available, we did small introductions and then we were asked to go out and pick one item from the store. When we got back we were asked to introduce the item and attempt to "sell" it to the other interviewees and interviewers. They deliberated privately in the manager's office for about five minutes and then returned and followed up on everyone's applications about time availability for working. They then told us that they would reach out by phone or email to each candidate for a 1:1 follow-up interview if we were chosen and then the interview was over. They conveniently held back three interviewees to do a little more follow-up on their applications. It's been over a week and I have not been contacted. Oh, well.

Interview Questions
    • I guess we were just being tested on our selling ability during this interview. I read that they sometimes do this, but I had prepared for the cafe server position, not the bookseller position. Apparently, they cross-train all employees at Barnes & Noble so that any employee can fill in if another calls in sick or any other emergency.   Answer Question

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online for the Cafe Server position (PT). I was called within 3 days for an interview. The interview lasted about 30 mins as I was also interviewed by the Associate Manager. They said usually they call an applicant back for the second interview, but I was told they really needed workers very soon. I was sent an e-mail the next day with a background check request, which I filled out immediately. I heard back from them on Friday (interviewed on Wednesday) and was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions asked about how you handled certain situations at other jobs (i.e. what kind of conflicts have you had with your peer/co-worker and how did you handle/solve that conflict). The Associate Manager also asked "What question did you expect us to ask, that you prepared for, but we did not ask?" I said "I expected to be asked, 'What is your favorite book?'" Which she then asked.   Answer Question