Barnes & Noble

Barnes & Noble Cashier Interview Questions

2.2

9 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

Fairly straightforward hiring process. I went in and inquired whether they were hiring. I received the application which I dropped off the next day. I received a call expressing interest in an interview. Interview was similar to other retail interviews I had had. Nothing too difficult or unusual. I received a call a few days later saying that I was hired.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DeKalb, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in DeKalb, IL

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2013.

First I had to apply online at their company website, and they first contacted me by phone. We scheduled a first interview that lasted about 15 minutes, then I went back for a second interview which lasted about a half hour. Both managers were both real knowledgeable and open, and are great people to work with. I had to submit a background check, which there was a bit of a hiccup with because the first submission wasn't received, but I was hired a little less than a month later.

Interview Questions
    • If you were working on a task, and someone asked you to start working on something else instead, what would you do?   Answer Question
    There wasn't really any negotiation, I went to the second interview and was hired shortly after that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2012.

Applied in person and was contacted the next day for an interview. I had a one on one interview with a manager, and was told to come back for a second interview with her boss the next day. The second interview wasn't really an interview at all, just him confirming that I had cashier experience. Very easy.

Interview Questions
    • You are attempting to sign an elderly person up for yearly membership but they don't have an email; what do you do?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2012.

I filled out an application and turned it in to customer service. After about a week I got a call about my two days of orientation. We got to walk around and view the store as well as learn about the internal devices that go on inside it as well.

Interview Questions
    • What was the BEST customer experience you ever had and why/ What was the WORST customer experience you ever had and why?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2011.

It was a seasonal job position for cashier, sales, and cafe.The first question was tell me about yourself and then that lead on to the other questions regarding more specifically about the position. She asked am I reading any books right now and how would I sell that book? How would I deal with an angry costumer? How do i hand stress? How do i manage my time? How do I multitask?

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell the book that you are currently reading now?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2010.

I decided to apply to Barnes & Noble because a friend said she loved working there. I got an application from the store, asked to speak to the manager the same day, and handed it in. He was very friendly, and liked the fact that I seemed passionate about the job. 3 days later he called me for an interview, it lasted about a half hour. Same basic questions that every place asks. He asked me to take a drug test, & a few days later I was offered the job.

Cashier Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2011.

I brought a Nook to the interview and sat reading it in the cafe while waiting for a manager. The manager seemed impressed that I had a Nook and shopped at Barnes and Noble. So I recommend borrowing a Nook to bring to your interview if you don't have one.

Very relaxed interview. Took about 15 minutes. I was asked generic questions about how I deal with problems in the workplace, etc. I was not asked any questions about books. I asked and was told that some seasonal positions can become permanent, which is what I am trying for. The next day I got a job offer.

Didn't discuss pay. It's part-time seasonal, there is no negotiation.

Cashier Interview

The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2011.

filed application, showed up every day until I received a call for a phone interview (which I actually missed). Showed up a few minutes later after missing the call, and was pulled into the cafe for a 1 on 1 interview.
    first interview had very basic questions like "why do you want to work here?" and "what skills would you bring to barnes and noble, if hired?". I was told that I would be contacted in a few days, but it was nearly the weekend by then, and the hiring manager was on vacation, so i turned out to be 6 days later before I was called to set up a second interview.
    It was about 10 in the morning, and they asked if I could show up at 2. I showed up at 1 and read my nook color (yay product placement!) for an hour, and announced to the customer service that I was here for my interview at 1:55. The hiring manager and (who I can only assume is the assistant hiring manager) got together and say down a little while after and conducted a little more thorough interview. I was asked in depth about my past work experience, and how I deal with arguments and stress, as well as a few questions more along the lines of the first interview.
    This happened the day of writing this, so I'm not sure if I'll get the position or not. I definitely have to recommend flexibility and a deep interest in literature if you plan on working at B&N.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you 'bring' to barnes and noble?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2008.

Pretty straightforward, a friend put in a good word for me so I submitted an application, and the manager asked me to come in the next day for an interview. They were really short-staffed, so I pretty much got the job by showing up and proving I could do basic math.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with a difficult customer (I'm sure there were specific scenarios).   Answer Question
    • A customer gives you X dollars for an item that costs Y dollars including tax, what is their change?   Answer Question