Barnes & Noble Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2015

2.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

Easy, just said why I would be a good fit for the job and how I loved customer service. She asked a couple of questions about work experience, and my passions.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Miami, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

Received call 6 days after I applied. Process was very simple and the interviewer made me feel very comfortable. I was asked pretty basic questions. All of the employees were welcoming.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Non-negotiations. Payed over minimum wage.

Cashier Interview

Interview

Fairly straightforward hiring process. I went in and inquired whether they were hiring. I received the application which I dropped off the next day. I received a call expressing interest in an interview. Interview was similar to other retail interviews I had had. Nothing too difficult or unusual. I received a call a few days later saying that I was hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in DeKalb, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (DeKalb, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

First I had to apply online at their company website, and they first contacted me by phone. We scheduled a first interview that lasted about 15 minutes, then I went back for a second interview which lasted about a half hour. Both managers were both real knowledgeable and open, and are great people to work with. I had to submit a background check, which there was a bit of a hiccup with because the first submission wasn't received, but I was hired a little less than a month later.

Interview Questions

• If you were working on a task, and someone asked you to start working on something else instead, what would you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't really any negotiation, I went to the second interview and was hired shortly after that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oak Brook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Oak Brook, IL) in June 2013.

Interview

Met with HR in their cafe area and she asked me typical interview questions. Got a call a week later that I got the job. Super comfortable and laid back interview.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Barnes and Noble?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Scottsdale, AZ) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied in person and was contacted the next day for an interview. I had a one on one interview with a manager, and was told to come back for a second interview with her boss the next day. The second interview wasn't really an interview at all, just him confirming that I had cashier experience. Very easy.

Interview Questions

• You are attempting to sign an elderly person up for yearly membership but they don't have an email; what do you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Norfolk, VA) in November 2012.

Interview

I filled out an application and turned it in to customer service. After about a week I got a call about my two days of orientation. We got to walk around and view the store as well as learn about the internal devices that go on inside it as well.

Interview Questions

• What was the BEST customer experience you ever had and why/ What was the WORST customer experience you ever had and why?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

It was a seasonal job position for cashier, sales, and cafe.The first question was tell me about yourself and then that lead on to the other questions regarding more specifically about the position. She asked am I reading any books right now and how would I sell that book? How would I deal with an angry costumer? How do i hand stress? How do i manage my time? How do I multitask?

Interview Questions

• How would you sell the book that you are currently reading now?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in April 2010.

Interview

I decided to apply to Barnes & Noble because a friend said she loved working there. I got an application from the store, asked to speak to the manager the same day, and handed it in. He was very friendly, and liked the fact that I seemed passionate about the job. 3 days later he called me for an interview, it lasted about a half hour. Same basic questions that every place asks. He asked me to take a drug test, & a few days later I was offered the job.

Cashier Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2011.

Interview

I brought a Nook to the interview and sat reading it in the cafe while waiting for a manager. The manager seemed impressed that I had a Nook and shopped at Barnes and Noble. So I recommend borrowing a Nook to bring to your interview if you don't have one. Very relaxed interview. Took about 15 minutes. I was asked generic questions about how I deal with problems in the workplace, etc. I was not asked any questions about books. I asked and was told that some seasonal positions can become permanent, which is what I am trying for. The next day I got a job offer.

Negotiation

Didn't discuss pay. It's part-time seasonal, there is no negotiation.