Barnes & Noble College Bookstores Interview Questions & Reviews

40 interviews

1.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in July 2014.

I sent in an application online for an open position, and I got an email a few days later about scheduling a phone interview. The phone interview was supposed to last 15 minutes but we ended up talking for about a half hour because she asked me a lot about my previous work experience, which gets a little long winded.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were particularly difficult. The manager asked me about why I wanted to work there, what I could offer, and why I thought I could do the job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in August 2014.

So I actually applied for the part time bookseller position in Atlanta at Emory but had actually went to the wrong store and my interview was actually at GA Tech. Luckily, I apologized to the interviewee and she forgave me enough to reschedule an interview for that following Sunday.

I went to the interview which turned out to be very casual and in an open space in the store. The conversation was actually pretty short and I believe she asked me about 7 questions. Since I did well, she offered me the job on the spot but it was for the Temporary Bookseller position because school was just about to start. Anycase, she said if I worked hard, proved myself and seemed like a good fit for the store that I could possibly be a part-time employee there. Well, they hire about 40-50 extra people and only hire 10 so take that as a challenge to getting an actual part-time position.

I don't think the questions were that hard; they were pretty basic interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to deal with an unreasonable client/customer.   View Answer
    It's a minimum wage job that is entry level. You aren't going to be negotiation anything at this stage.

Textbook Sales Representative Interview

The interview was a group meeting with about 8 other people. They give a lot of case scenarios and go around asking everyone to answer. First interview is one on one. After the group meeting they call you within a week letting you know if you got the job or not.

Bookseller Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in January 2014.

Submit application and wait a few days until they call to schedule an interview. At my place, they only call once so make sure you answer! Interview is not difficult, just be yourself.

Bookseller/Retailer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I interviewed in-person - interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in May 2014.

It was very easy going. At the very end of the interview, the store manager said they would probably contact me this week to let me know if I should come in again. But so far no news. The interview itself was very short and straight to the point. I actually felt over prepared but maybe not since I didn't hear back from them. The manager himself was very nice to talk to, majority of the interview was him explaining how the job worked and what the store's priority was.

Interview Questions
    • As a customer, what kind of service do you look for when you enter the store?   Answer Question

Barista/Cashier Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores.

Asked about customer service, asked about basic information etc.

Interview Questions
    • GM asked what I would do when there's a customer asking a question.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  College Park, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Park, MD

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in June 2013.

5 minute interview, general questions about past work experience and why you would make a good cashier.

Interview Questions
    • Which of your past work experiences did you like the most   Answer Question
    If hired before or during "rush" period (week before school starts, first and second week of semester) you will be told that you are a temporary employee to be paid minimum wage, but if they still want you after 90 days you will be taken on as a part-time employee and your wage will be raised by 25cents then. Do not believe them when they say this, my wage was never raised and neither was anyone else's.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Woodbridge, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores in December 2013.

Got voicemail from Assistant Store Manager about coming in for interview about a month after applying online. Called back a few days later and schedule an interview at a good time for me as well as him. Only one interview - was asked about 20 questions in regards to what I would do or what did I do in a situation

Interview Questions
    • What did you do in a situation in which a customer or another individual yelled at you?   Answer Question
    No negotiation on wage. 100% negotiation on schedule!

Supervisor Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores.

I responded to a post placed by the regional manager with a resume and cover letter, was called by a store manager three days later, interviewed one on one at the store. The interview was professional, but still relaxed. I received another phone call a few days later offering me the job.

Interview Questions
    • Standard retail questions with a focus on leadership and accountability.   Answer Question

Allocation Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Basking Ridge, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Basking Ridge, NJ

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble College Bookstores.

I applied at the end of January, and got an e-mail to schedule an interview about a week later. However, the day of my interview came - and the HR rep who was supposed to interview me didn't even come to work that morning. I was told the HR rep would have to reschedule with me, but they still wanted me interview with two other people. So I got there early, had to wait an hour for the other two people to interview me. The first person who interviewed me didn't prepare any questions. She basically told me what the position was about. The second person to interview me had more prepared, behavioral questions. Overall - easy. I was told - they would let me know when they would reschedule another interview with the HR rep. However, a week went by and no one called me. So, I sent an e-mail asking to re-schedule an interview with the HR rep. I didn't get a response until much later. They told me they had taken off the position off indefinitely. Okay, that would have been fine if I didn't see that they had posted up the job again a week later. They could have just told me I didn't get the job. They didn't have to leave me hanging and tell me they put the position on hold, and then put the job back up a week later.

Interview Questions

Worked for Barnes & Noble College Bookstores? Contribute to the Community!