Barnes & Noble

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Community Relations Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – The process started with a phone screening, then followed by three interviews. The first interview was with two of the store managers I would be working with; the second was with an assistant manager and a bookseller. The third interview was with the district manager. I just wrapped up my third interview a day ago and am waiting on a final decision. The questions in the first two interviews were pretty common ones related to customer service, literature, and communication skills. The final interview contained some obscure questions that I had to take a moment to answer, but I was never asked anything that really threw me off too much.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you approached a situation one way and then realized you needed to take another approach? How did you handle it? -This is a question where your response can really hurt you if you come up with an answer that isn't more on the positive side. Try to steer away from saying you were dealing with a customer that was so difficult you had to become overly stern in order to make them understand your business' policy, etc.   Answer Question

Grand Rapids, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – The interview process was standard. The management is looking for retail experience as well as a drive for success. You wiki be well served to research the company culture and values before applying for a position here.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Sacramento, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2012.

Interview Details – It's Retail store culture changes with every store and store manager. My hiring process was short and sweet. It only lasted 2 weeks. From start to offer.

Interview Question – The hardest questions weren't that hard. Mostly regarding sales calls and running a business unit.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer was a straight offer yes I'll take it or no I wont.

Community Relations Manager

I applied in-person and interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Multiple interviews, (5) in total. Starting with store screening then peer interview, store manager interview, district manger, interview and finally regional business development management interview. I took months to complete.

Interview Question – No, just be prepare to explain your success and challenges and how you've overcome them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked me what I wanted, I gave them an amount and they countered. Don't be afraid to negotiate vacation time. Get an extra week if you can. Don't accept below $32,000. K You will regret it!

Community Relations Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – One on one interviews and peer interview

Interview Question – Everything was pretty straight forward. No trick questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Community Relations Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – You'll meet and interview with at least three people. The store manager, the district manager and the regional sales manager. All interviews will be different

Interview Question – They are looking for a "sales" type person for this position even though they don't tell you that   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Difficult. They told me the pay range and I ended up at the bottom because I didn't have any previous book experience. After three years of blowing my numbers out of the water they still refused to fight for me to get more money.

Community Relations Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2012.

Interview Details – Resume was submitted online and I recieved an intial phone screening to determine qualifications. I was then asked to move on to an interview with the store manager. This was a scripted interview where she took notes and asked questions about sales stratgies and decided if my answer was strong or not. It looks like a rating system is used based on my answers to the questions.

Interview Question – What do you know about Nook? If this isn't a product that you are familiar with, get comfortable with it prior to the interview.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Community Relations Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – The hiring process was exhausting. I had seven interviews over the course of two months. I met with the assistant store manager at the store to which I applied, the store manager at the same store, the store manager at a store 50 miles away, the Community Relations Manager at a store 50 miles away, the store manager at a store 75 miles away, the manager or a differerent district at a store 100 miles away, and a phone interview with the Regional CRM. I was told the job would be Business Development and sales, but once I was hired I was directed to focus on Book Fairs. Everything I was told during the interview process was misrepresentative of what was expected once I had the job.

Interview Question – None of the questions asked were difficult or unexpected, which is odd considering I interviewed with seven different people. Everyone I interviewed with spent a long time talking about themselves and the "B&N culture".   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I received a phone call from the store manager with an offer. I told her I wanted $2000 a year more than they were offering. She called her Regional Manager and got the money okayed.

Community Relations Manager

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2011.

Interview Details – I had an interview with the store manager. Low stress, relatively informal sit-down meeting in the Cafe. Don't know if offer will be made. Fair questions and good explanation of responsibilities.

Interview Questions

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!