Barnes & Noble Community Relations Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 9, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was referred to the position by an existing employee who knew that I would be a good fit. After that, the initial interviews were conducted really quickly, but the placement process took a very, very long time. Months. Partly because there a layers upon layers of management. For this type of position, the store manager had to agree, as did the district manager, and then the Community Relations Manager. Then there were salary negotiations and getting placement.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Barnes & Noble?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Community Relations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The process started with a phone screening, then followed by three interviews. The first interview was with two of the store managers I would be working with; the second was with an assistant manager and a bookseller. The third interview was with the district manager. I just wrapped up my third interview a day ago and am waiting on a final decision. The questions in the first two interviews were pretty common ones related to customer service, literature, and communication skills. The final interview contained some obscure questions that I had to take a moment to answer, but I was never asked anything that really threw me off too much.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you approached a situation one way and then realized you needed to take another approach? How did you handle it? -This is a question where your response can really hurt you if you come up with an answer that isn't more on the positive side. Try to steer away from saying you were dealing with a customer that was so difficult you had to become overly stern in order to make them understand your business' policy, etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Grand Rapids, MI).

Interview

The interview process was standard. The management is looking for retail experience as well as a drive for success. You wiki be well served to research the company culture and values before applying for a position here.

Community Relations Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Multiple interviews, (5) in total. Starting with store screening then peer interview, store manager interview, district manger, interview and finally regional business development management interview. I took months to complete.

Interview Questions

• No, just be prepare to explain your success and challenges and how you've overcome them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They asked me what I wanted, I gave them an amount and they countered. Don't be afraid to negotiate vacation time. Get an extra week if you can. Don't accept below $32,000. K You will regret it!

Community Relations Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

One on one interviews and peer interview

Interview Questions

• Everything was pretty straight forward. No trick questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation.

Community Relations Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

You'll meet and interview with at least three people. The store manager, the district manager and the regional sales manager. All interviews will be different

Interview Questions

• They are looking for a "sales" type person for this position even though they don't tell you that   1 Answer

Negotiation

Difficult. They told me the pay range and I ended up at the bottom because I didn't have any previous book experience. After three years of blowing my numbers out of the water they still refused to fight for me to get more money.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Sacramento, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

It's Retail store culture changes with every store and store manager. My hiring process was short and sweet. It only lasted 2 weeks. From start to offer.

Interview Questions

• The hardest questions weren't that hard. Mostly regarding sales calls and running a business unit.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer was a straight offer yes I'll take it or no I wont.

Community Relations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2012.

Interview

Resume was submitted online and I recieved an intial phone screening to determine qualifications. I was then asked to move on to an interview with the store manager. This was a scripted interview where she took notes and asked questions about sales stratgies and decided if my answer was strong or not. It looks like a rating system is used based on my answers to the questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Nook? If this isn't a product that you are familiar with, get comfortable with it prior to the interview.   Answer Question

Community Relations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The hiring process was exhausting. I had seven interviews over the course of two months. I met with the assistant store manager at the store to which I applied, the store manager at the same store, the store manager at a store 50 miles away, the Community Relations Manager at a store 50 miles away, the store manager at a store 75 miles away, the manager or a differerent district at a store 100 miles away, and a phone interview with the Regional CRM. I was told the job would be Business Development and sales, but once I was hired I was directed to focus on Book Fairs. Everything I was told during the interview process was misrepresentative of what was expected once I had the job.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions asked were difficult or unexpected, which is odd considering I interviewed with seven different people. Everyone I interviewed with spent a long time talking about themselves and the "B&N culture".   Answer Question

Negotiation

I received a phone call from the store manager with an offer. I told her I wanted $2000 a year more than they were offering. She called her Regional Manager and got the money okayed.

Community Relations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2011.

Interview

I had an interview with the store manager. Low stress, relatively informal sit-down meeting in the Cafe. Don't know if offer will be made. Fair questions and good explanation of responsibilities.