Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2015

2.3

Customer Service Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westport, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Westport, CT).

Interview

I was told a lot about what their values are and how they do things and asked if I would be on board with that. Standard questions were asked regarding my job history, how I handle stress situations in the work place, what my job goals are, what I value in a job, etc. The interview was not very lengthy and I was too by the end of the interview that I was hired.

Interview Questions

• Was there anything you did not like about your previous jobs?   Answer Question

Part-time Receiver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Irving, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Irving, TX).

Interview

I was hired as a team member for a new store, so the hiring process was a bit different from the typical on boarding. Since management were building a new team many people were hired in a short time. My experience is therefore atypical. I applied and was interviewed on the same day. The process has since changed to an online only system which complies with Equal Opportunity Employer standards.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to learn something new very quickly.   1 Answer

Mercahndising Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Westminster, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Westminster, CO).

Interview

I had 2 in store interviews. One with the assistant manager and one with the store manager. The next day I interviewed with the regional manager. I was offered an the position but declined because they offered me $1 an hour less than the lowest number in my requested pay range. In my interview I was even told they could do somewhere in between the range I asked for. No such luck It was a waste of my time and theirs.

Interview Questions

• How much are you making now?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if you had two candidates for a position that were equally qualified and were both really great?   Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied and it took about two weeks, and from there I received a call from them scheduling an interview. The interview was very laid back, and enjoyed speaking to manager about my work history and what I plan on doing in the future, from there they said they'll give me a call back the next week letting me know something. Sure thing, I got a call the following week and was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where a customer got upset, and tell me how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Rosa, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Santa Rosa, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online. It took about 2-3 weeks before I was contacted for an interview. They called me and did a short phone interview and then asked if I could come for an interview the same day. I was interview by the store manager and it took around 20-ish minutes. Very simple interview questions from a printed paper, he had to change the wording a bit since it was my first job. After he finished and I asked a few questions, he told me he had confidence in me and would talk with the other manager. He said I would know in a few days whether I would come back again. I was called 15 minutes later, requesting for a second interview. This interview was a few days later and with the district manager. I had to fill-out a background check email before going to the interview. She asked me a few questions, but it was more of me asking her. Since she was the same person who did the phone interview, she basically already knew what she needed to know and had her mind made up. At the end of the interview, I asked when I would know if I was hired or not. She replied with an offer, which I took with great delight. Both people who interviewed me were very nice, and didn't seem bothered by my lack of work experience. If you have lots of enthusiasm about books and are awarer of the importance of customer service, you should do well!

Interview Questions

• What do you know about our membership program? Describe a time where you made an mistake and what did you do? Describe a time you were faced with an unsatisfied person and how did you help them? Explain a time where you had to learn how to adapt to something quickly. What would you do if the manager requested for you to organize a rack of fiction books, that you wouldn't be able to finish within your shift? What was the last book you read? What are your favorite book genres?   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

There was an initial phone interview that lasted maybe five minutes. The cafe manager outlined the duties expected of me, and asked if I was still interested. I said yes, and scheduled an interview with her a days later. During this interview, she asked me if I had any previous food handling experience, examples of great customer service, and what I would do if a customer came up to me and had no idea what to order. Since the cafe is "not a Starbucks but just licensed to sell their drinks", I still was not familiar with their drinks. But it's not an issue if you're not familiar with coffee at all. After the interview with the cafe manager, I then did a final interview with the store manager. It was basically the same, but we talked more about the benefits I would receive, hours, etc. She offered me the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when a customer doesn't know what to order?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

The interview was very laid back and informal. I was asked a few questions about my previous work experience and then given a scenario about a complaining customer. The hiring manager was really nice about everything. Asked about my availability and how soon I could start.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if a customer received the wrong order?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a phone call the following week. After the phone screening an interview was scheduled for the following day. It was pretty easy. We interviewed in the cafe area of the store, and it was really informal. All the questions were basically asking you to describe your experiences with helping customers.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you recommended something to a customer. What was the result?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Miramar, FL) in August 2015.

Interview

It was really comfortable and had a two step process. An initial interview with 5 questions. And then a second interview with 5 more questions. The questions were rather personal and there really a right answer to them

Interview Questions

• A time that I had to solve a disagreement   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Newark, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was basic. I was just surprised that there was two interviews and they actually wanted two references to really call. Most people don't call references but they most certainly do. I took about two week from first interview to signing papers.