Barnes & Noble

Getting the Interview

248 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. It took about 4 days before someone called me to set up an interview which was scheduled for two days after the initial phone call. Went in and the interview lasted 15 minutes. The interviewer was very polite and kind. Didn't feel like a high pressure interview. Notable questions were: What does good customer service mean to you, name a time you helped a difficult customer, why do you want to work here, do you like to read, favorite genre.

Interview Question – Questions were fairly standard.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

DMA Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I had two interviews, one with an assistant manager and then with the store manager. The process has changed dramatically since I interviewed. I walked into the store, asked for an application, then turned it in with my resume. Now it's all online.

Interview Question – The questions were all pretty standard for a retail business. I was asked if I knew what their top sellers were that week. I didn't know the whole list, but I had seen their bestseller bay when I walked in, so I was able to name about 6 of the top 10 for fiction and 4-5 from the non-fiction side.   Answer Question

Community Relations Manager Interview

Grand Rapids, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – The interview process was standard. The management is looking for retail experience as well as a drive for success. You wiki be well served to research the company culture and values before applying for a position here.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Interviewed at Barnes & Noble

Interview Details – Fairly straightforward hiring process. I went in and inquired whether they were hiring. I received the application which I dropped off the next day. I received a call expressing interest in an interview. Interview was similar to other retail interviews I had had. Nothing too difficult or unusual. I received a call a few days later saying that I was hired.

Interview Question – Describe yourself in 3 words.   Answer Question

West Chester, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2013.

Interview Details – Online application. Phone interview followed by in-person interview with assistant manager.

Interview Question – The questions were very straightforward and what I expected.   Answer Question

Head Cashier Interview

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2012.

Interview Details – Very standard questions and the hiring manager was looking for me to describe being organized and accurate when I spoke too much about customer service.

Interview Question – "What besides customer service is important for the head cashier position?"   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Bookseller/Cashier Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – The interview was super easy and simple. Was interviewed by the manager and was very laid back. I got the job offer right away.

Interview Question – My favorite book   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I applied online for the Cafe Server position (PT). I was called within 3 days for an interview. The interview lasted about 30 mins as I was also interviewed by the Associate Manager. They said usually they call an applicant back for the second interview, but I was told they really needed workers very soon. I was sent an e-mail the next day with a background check request, which I filled out immediately. I heard back from them on Friday (interviewed on Wednesday) and was offered the position.

Interview Question – Most of the questions asked about how you handled certain situations at other jobs (i.e. what kind of conflicts have you had with your peer/co-worker and how did you handle/solve that conflict). The Associate Manager also asked "What question did you expect us to ask, that you prepared for, but we did not ask?" I said "I expected to be asked, 'What is your favorite book?'" Which she then asked.   Answer Question

Pembroke Pines, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Interview Details – It is extremely calm, and relaxed. just answer all the questions and be polite, and courteous and you will be fine.

Interview Question – What is your most likeable quality?   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2012.

Interview Details – I was hired into the position internally and interviewed with the Store Manager and District Manger. An external candidate would have 1-2 more interviews with other Store Managers or Assistant Store Mangers.

Interview Question – If you were a tree what kind of tree would you be and why?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Barnes & Noble

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble interview questions and advice. All 248 interview reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees and interview candidates.