Barnes & Noble

Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer
Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2012.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interview. 2 skype interview and 1 onsite interview. They also ask about your personality. How do you work with team. Do you use Agile management? They speed up the interview process if you need to move fast.

Interview Question – They have the difficult technical test. You have to a good background in Data structure, search, sorting.   Answer Question

Norcross, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the store manager the day after I filled out an application and we set up an interview for a few days later. About two days after my interview, she called to offer me the job and I accepted. It was an easy process.

Interview Question – "What do you see as some of your liabilities as an employee?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation on seasonal hourly pay.

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2011.

Interview Details – There are two interviews before you get an offer. The first interview is with a lower manager, the second with the store manager. There are a few questions based on your personality and your work style, but most are situational. They want to know how you would act in situations that arise in the retail setting.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There really isn't negotiation. They start pay at minimum wage and get you working within a week or two.

Very Easy Interview

Melbourne, FL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I applied online and got a call the same day, asked me a few questions such as when I was availiable to work and when I could start. Asked me to come in for an interview 2 days later. I met with what I assume was the HR rep in our store at the cafe after waiting a few min for her to finish up another interview. She was nice and asked general questions about work history and things such as what was my biggest pet peeve and how I handled disagreements at work. She asked me how much experience I had in retail and with registers, since I have had no register experience she said that's ok they can train me. Finally when it came to references I didn't have 3 professional references and could not use family so I had to use personal and did not remember the last name for one of them so she pretty much ended the interview at that point and told me to call her when I could get the last name for my reference. I felt that it hurt my chance just because of my reference mistake. I have not heard anything back yet so I am hoping I do, she said they would call me.

Interview Question – How would I handle a disagreement at work?   Answer Question

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through their online system more than once. the first time I applied I waited a week before I got a reply and because I was eager I kept checking the site to assure that the position was available. About 5 minutes after I checked the site a week after I applied, I got an email saying the position was filled. So I waited a few minutes and visited the career website and the same store now had two openings instead of the original one. I was kind of upset and thought maybe the email was an error so I applied again and almost a week later I got a phone call setting up an interview. I got all new clothes for the process and my parents were really proud (I'm 17). When I went in they were able to schedule a double back to back interview with 2 managers. I went in with a resume and a certificate detailing my work experience in a library. I also went in with my certification in pre-professional education fundamentals. The first manager was nice and she had a bubbly personality but the second manager came off as very rude and standoffish and flat out told me that since I was young I had very little experience.

Interview Question – How would you handle a customer or coworker that is in a bad mood?   Answer Question

Cafe Barista Interview

Cafe Barista

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2014.

Interview Details – I put in my application for the cafe server position online, and was contacted about 3 days later. There was an impromptu phone interview that lasted about 15 minutes. They requested an in-person interview a few days later. I was interviewed by the cafe manager, inside the actual cafe. The total interview lasted a little over 25 minutes, and was fairly easy. Standard questions pertaining to cafe work, and my past history. Naming some skills I had that I thought would come in handy on the job and what I could bring to the table.
I left and was contacted 2 days later or so, asking for an interview with the store manager. The questions with the manager were more broad and store-oriented instead of just cafe questions. She wanted to know what I would do in a certain situation, like with an irrational customer. I was asked about my favorite book and author, and what my overall availability was.

I was very honest with my answers, and did not hesitate to let them know if I didn't understand. It seemed to be appreciated by them, and made it easier on me.

Interview Question – What threw me off the most was when the manager asked me to name 5 top qualities about myself, and the situation involving an irrational customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no real negotiation. I make minimum wage and average around 30 hours per week. They will always ask about your availability; the more open you are, the better chance you have,

Bronx, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2013.

Interview Details – This was around the time when there were still paper applications, filled it out and handed it in along with my resume to the manager. Make sure you make an effort to COME IN PERSON to the store and introduce yourself to any of the managers. Also make sure to ask for the time when managers come in and their name.

Interview Question – When you were working in retail, tell me about an experience where you were forced to control your stress levels? Thinking back I can really see why I was given that question.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was given a call that I was hired and ready to start. There was no negotiation with pay. You get what your offered.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Part Time Book Seller

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was called in about three weeks after applying online and interviewed with a manager, about a day later i got the offer. The manager wanted to know if i was willing to be trained in multiple areas of the store and ask about how many hours i would want to work.

Interview Question – all pretty standard   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Part Time Book Seller
Wilmington, DE

I applied in-person and interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Very relaxed. Easy interview with one of the managers. Easy questions, no trick questions to trip you up. I came into the interview wearing a nice top and jeans and still was offered the position.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work at a bookstore?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no phase. I was offered their typical starting pay.

Cafe Server Interview

Cafe Server
Victorville, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

Interview Details – Filled out the online application and received a phone call the next day for a short phone interview and subsequent business casual, group interview at the location. They were a bit late in starting and there were 6 other interviewees there, along with the manager, assistant manager, and lead cafe server. We interviewed in what I could only assume was the breakroom. After a short business spiel from the manager of the store talking about the 3 positions available, we did small introductions and then we were asked to go out and pick one item from the store. When we got back we were asked to introduce the item and attempt to "sell" it to the other interviewees and interviewers. They deliberated privately in the manager's office for about five minutes and then returned and followed up on everyone's applications about time availability for working. They then told us that they would reach out by phone or email to each candidate for a 1:1 follow-up interview if we were chosen and then the interview was over. They conveniently held back three interviewees to do a little more follow-up on their applications. It's been over a week and I have not been contacted. Oh, well.

Interview Question – I guess we were just being tested on our selling ability during this interview. I read that they sometimes do this, but I had prepared for the cafe server position, not the bookseller position. Apparently, they cross-train all employees at Barnes & Noble so that any employee can fill in if another calls in sick or any other emergency.   Answer Question

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!