Barnes & Noble

Updated Jan 29, 2015
Updated Jan 29, 2015

2.3

Bookseller Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interviews are easy as long as you are polite and concise. Must be able to hit the ground running because there will be very little training/cross training. Management is strict on membership sales depending on which store you are hired at.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?

Pick a book before going in and be enthusiastic about reading regardless of your preference.

Answer Question

Barista Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Filled out an application online, then had an in-person interview with the manager. I initially wanted the position as a bookkeeper and submitted applications for them both, but I interviewed for the barista position in hopes of later being able to cross train.

Decent company with decent employee perks, obviously not the best pay (minimum wage). Seemed to be a positive, team-oriented company with lots of friendly co-workers.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about myself and a few other questions, nothing too personal as I think she was trying to hire someone quickly. Said she'd get back to me as she had a few more people to interview, and then offered me the job and invited me for a training session by the end of the week.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Starting salary of $7.50. No tips.

CMBD Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview process so far has been extremely positive. I applied online and about two or three weeks later I recieved a call requesting an interview. I accepted and within two days had two interviews, one with the store manager and one with the sales manager. Both were very nice.

Interview Questions
    • I think the hardest was about the Nook because I don't know much about Nook.   Answer Question

Book Seller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The first interview that I went through was pretty casual. Very general questions and conversation including things like "what's your favorite book?"
    The second interview with the main store manager was a little more formal and in-depth.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I was initially hired as a Seasonal Hire, but was retained as a part time employee. The interview was, surprisingly, stereotypically straightforward. The questions included:

1. Why do you want to work at a bookstore?
    2. What do you imagine working at a Bookstore to be like? ( The correct answer is not just recommending books, but stocking books, organizing displays, sales, etc.)
    3. How would you handle a disagreement with a coworker or a manager?

Interview Questions
    • Customers often come up wanting help finding a book they do not know the title of and that they heard about somewhere. How would you help them?   View Answer
    There was no real salary negotiation. Salary didn't come up during the interview.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The secretary called me and was very nice and told me to come in that week for an interview. I went and was interviewed by the district manager. He under cut my current salary and that was it.

Merchandise Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

After submitting application online, I was contacted 4 days later about an interview. Interview was scheduled for the following day with an Assistant Store Manager.

Arrived at location and checked in as instructed. Stood around for several minutes before was greeted by the ASM.

Interview was the standard "Tell me about a time..." That you exhibited x competency as a manager in your past. This interview lasted about an hour. She wanted me to stay for a 2nd interview with the Store Manager so I sat waiting in the café area for another 20 minutes. The Store Manager came and asked more questions. "What made you apply for Barnes & Noble?" And the like.

Will possibly be contacted in the next week and a half for a peer interview and district manager interview if they are interested. Will update review after those happen.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you delegated a project to someone   Answer Question

Cafe Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockton, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockton, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

I applied online & received a phone call 2 days later. When i answered it was one of the managers & i had a phone interview for like 5 minutes. After the interview, he told me to come in the next day for another. I went in, had the interview & it went great. 10 minutes later, i was interviewed by the human resource manager, & that also went great. Real simple questions. She told me she would call me that night or the next evening to schedule another interview, but this time with the store manager. My next interview is in a view days.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

I applied for this position online and was called within two weeks to come to the store for an in-person interview. The interview itself took place in the cafe section of the store. I was given a one-on-one interview with an assistant manager in which I was asked about ten questions about myself and my approach to certain tasks regarding retail. Questions included, "What are you reading right now, Why do you want to work at Barnes and Noble, How would you approach a customer to gain an idea of their needs, What would you do in the store when customer activity is low" and a few others. Once I had answered these questions and agreed to the starting salary amount, I was asked to wait while the store manager was contacted. The store manager then met with me and asked me similar questions to which I gave similar answers again but with much more detail. I was then told that I would be contacted regarding a background check and that I would be contacted within the next few days regarding their decision.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you approach a disagreement with a member of management?"   Answer Question

As a recent graduate with a bachelor's degree and over four years of previous experience in retail, I felt that the starting salary and the store's inflexibility to provide a more appropriate salary were not a good fit for me.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Three scripted interviews. First with Store Manager, second a peer interview and final with a District Manager. After third interview the hiring decision was made and an offer by the Store Manager was made. No salary negotiation was accepted.