Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

2.3

Customer Service Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

Good wasn't so bad wanted to know your personal interest. very nice brief straight to the point. overall it was regular it was one on one had to watch a video and walk around the floor to meet people. It was a good interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied online. They called me the next day for an interview the day after that. The interviewer went through a list of pre-made questions on a paper. The usual stuff, like why do you want to work there, how did you deal with unhappy customers in your previous job. They told me they would call the next day either way, never did.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holyoke, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Holyoke, MA) in July 2015.

Interview

It was only 30 minutes long. Easy questions that I could easily prepare for. Only related to thing that had to wih the job at hand I was applying for.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

Easy, just said why I would be a good fit for the job and how I loved customer service. She asked a couple of questions about work experience, and my passions.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carle Place, NY

Interview

The interview was brief and by the end of it you can definitely tell if you got the job or not. They ask the most basic general interview questions and get you in and out of there within a half hour. I had a one on one and the position was offered to me the next day. Be friendly, be passionate about books, and emphasize your abilities to help people.

Interview Questions

• What was one situation in which you had a disagreement with a manager? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What is your relationship with books?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Las Vegas, NV) in June 2015.

Interview

Had two interviews, was interviewed by 3 people. The first two people were a bit more intimidating because this is my first job, and answering questions such as "describe a conflict with a coworker" was a bit difficult for me. The second interview was with the hiring manager and it was a bit more casual. I was asked the same questions by all the interviewers, so I got some practice. Getting an interview was harder than the interview itself. When I got hired, 600 other people had applied and there was 1 spot. I was really persistent with calling and leaving my name, stopping by sometimes, and they eventually looked at my application. Since they don't call in many people, if you are really outgoing in your interview and just show them that you really want to work there, then you should have a pretty good shot. Also, when they asked what book I would recommend to others (Contact by Carl Sagan), the ASM was like AAAAHHH NO WAY I LOVE SAGAN and then we just casually talked about Sagan and his awesomeness. Then the next manager seemed to like me and then asked me to come to another interview. After the hiring manager interviewed me she offered me the job right away. So just answer the questions the best you can and don't worry if you're struggling a bit. I did and I got the job.

Interview Questions

• If a customer asked you for a book recommendation, what would you recommend to them and why?   1 Answer
    • How would you handle a situation where a customer wanted to buy a book that was damaged, it was the only one left, and they needed it right then?   1 Answer
    • If you were the only one working at customer services, had 3+ customers in line, the phone started ringing, backup was needed at cash wrap, etc., what would you do?   1 Answer
    • What would you do if a customer was upset about something?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You start with minimum wage. I got the impression that they give raises but I'm not sure.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (White Plains, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The guy was pretty cool and welcoming. Was very open and actually seem interested in what you had to say. Laid back and held it in the middle of the cafe so it was a tad bit distracting. Asked a lot of questions but the interview itself went through relatively fast.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Phone screening, one in person interview. Basic "tell me about yourself", strengths and weakness kind of thing. They explained the job and stressed memberships. Ran through scenario questions and previous experience working in retail.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when dealing with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Booseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Quick and easy. same question any other retail chain will ask. 1:1 with the Store Manger for about 30 minutes. Very relaxed. Questions were from a questionnaire , following Company directives.

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied online. Didn't get hired, they needed someone with more experience. I visit there often just to study so there was no bad feelings. And the last time I went they already hired someone new.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite cafe drink?   1 Answer