Barnes & Noble

268 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cafe Barista Interview

Cafe Barista

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2014.

Interview Details – I put in my application for the cafe server position online, and was contacted about 3 days later. There was an impromptu phone interview that lasted about 15 minutes. They requested an in-person interview a few days later. I was interviewed by the cafe manager, inside the actual cafe. The total interview lasted a little over 25 minutes, and was fairly easy. Standard questions pertaining to cafe work, and my past history. Naming some skills I had that I thought would come in handy on the job and what I could bring to the table.
I left and was contacted 2 days later or so, asking for an interview with the store manager. The questions with the manager were more broad and store-oriented instead of just cafe questions. She wanted to know what I would do in a certain situation, like with an irrational customer. I was asked about my favorite book and author, and what my overall availability was.

I was very honest with my answers, and did not hesitate to let them know if I didn't understand. It seemed to be appreciated by them, and made it easier on me.

Interview Question – What threw me off the most was when the manager asked me to name 5 top qualities about myself, and the situation involving an irrational customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no real negotiation. I make minimum wage and average around 30 hours per week. They will always ask about your availability; the more open you are, the better chance you have,

Bookseller Interview

Bookseller
Bronx, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2013.

Interview Details – This was around the time when there were still paper applications, filled it out and handed it in along with my resume to the manager. Make sure you make an effort to COME IN PERSON to the store and introduce yourself to any of the managers. Also make sure to ask for the time when managers come in and their name.

Interview Question – When you were working in retail, tell me about an experience where you were forced to control your stress levels? Thinking back I can really see why I was given that question.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was given a call that I was hired and ready to start. There was no negotiation with pay. You get what your offered.

Part Time Book Seller

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was called in about three weeks after applying online and interviewed with a manager, about a day later i got the offer. The manager wanted to know if i was willing to be trained in multiple areas of the store and ask about how many hours i would want to work.

Interview Question – all pretty standard   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Wilmington, DE

I applied in-person and interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Very relaxed. Easy interview with one of the managers. Easy questions, no trick questions to trip you up. I came into the interview wearing a nice top and jeans and still was offered the position.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work at a bookstore?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no phase. I was offered their typical starting pay.

Cafe Server Interview

Cafe Server
Victorville, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

Interview Details – Filled out the online application and received a phone call the next day for a short phone interview and subsequent business casual, group interview at the location. They were a bit late in starting and there were 6 other interviewees there, along with the manager, assistant manager, and lead cafe server. We interviewed in what I could only assume was the breakroom. After a short business spiel from the manager of the store talking about the 3 positions available, we did small introductions and then we were asked to go out and pick one item from the store. When we got back we were asked to introduce the item and attempt to "sell" it to the other interviewees and interviewers. They deliberated privately in the manager's office for about five minutes and then returned and followed up on everyone's applications about time availability for working. They then told us that they would reach out by phone or email to each candidate for a 1:1 follow-up interview if we were chosen and then the interview was over. They conveniently held back three interviewees to do a little more follow-up on their applications. It's been over a week and I have not been contacted. Oh, well.

Interview Question – I guess we were just being tested on our selling ability during this interview. I read that they sometimes do this, but I had prepared for the cafe server position, not the bookseller position. Apparently, they cross-train all employees at Barnes & Noble so that any employee can fill in if another calls in sick or any other emergency.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interviews - HR by phone, hiring manager by phone, hiring manager in person and Director in person. Each round was thirty minutes to an hour. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. I was asked detailed questions around past work experience and knowledge of the job in question. It is a corporate environment so I wore a suit.

Interview Question – Questions were typical of most interviews.   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

Cafe Server
Birmingham, AL

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied to work for the Holidays in November, got a call to interview in March of the following year because they were desperate for people. Had a phone interview, then came in for a face-to-face. The cafe manger didn't make eye contact with me half the time in the interview and seemed distracted by everything else around me as she loudly smacked on her gum.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation in which you had to learn something fast.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Antioch, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2014.

Interview Details – There was no phone interview, I was just asked to come in. I had two interviews, one was for the wrong position. They said they would call me, but never got back to me. Edit: They called me after a week to checkup, they were having problems internally with the BG check.

Interview Question – Try to think of a time, and give me an example, of when you were multitasking.   View Answers (2)

Graphic Intern Interview

Graphic Intern
New York, NY

Interview Details – I applied online, and got the email informing me about a phone interview on the next day. The interview was nice, but I didn't get the offer because the recruiter thought I don't have the passion in the technical field.

Interview Question – What's your favorite course in school?   Answer Question

Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online in August, then waited. In mid-september I received a phone interview. I was then called a week later to schedule a real interview. After this, I was asked to wait for a follow-up call and final interview if I was selected. (I was not, as another person who could work more hours was excepted.)

Interview Question – Not anything out of the ordinary!   Answer Question

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!