Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Mar 12, 2015
Updated Mar 12, 2015

2.3

Bookseller Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Relatively easy. Met with an assistant manager, she went over my qualifications and asked a few questions about my experience. Hired on the spot (contingent on passing background check).

Told I would start on a temporary part-time basis and would switch over to regular part-time as long as "everything worked out" (i.e. did not find a higher paying position)

After hire, was brought in, given employee handbook. Trained for one week, then relatively independent in role.

Retail Communications Specialist Interview

I had a phone interview with the HR person, who told me she would get back to me the next week regarding the next steps in the interviewing process. I didn't hear from her that week so I sent her a follow-up e-mail. No response. A week later, I sent her another e-mail. Again, no response. Why are HR people so rude? It would be nice if they're not interested in moving forward with you as a candidate to send a quick e-mail thanking you for your time. Ignoring prospective employees is not the right way to do business. They lost a good prospect. I will never apply here again. If this is how the HR department is then I can see that the whole place follows suit.

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

It was pleasant and the manager was very enthusiastic during the process. She was interested in hearing about what I liked to read, and what other kind of jobs I've had (camp counselor, student associate for a university). They really wanted open availability for scheduling, which wasn't really a problem.

Interview Questions
    • What do you typically read in you spare time?
      What's a book you read recently that surprised you?

Answer Question

Corp Communications Interview

There were 2 rounds. I met with 3 people the first time and the second time, there was a writing assignment. Everyone was super friendly. the HR manager was sometimes hard to follow up with but eventually she got back to me.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty basic things, they asked for writing samples and press release experience.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interviewed with two Store Managers. Went well. Interviewed with the DM. A little shocked by the demeanor. Thought it went well as it was a lengthy interview and appeared to have positive feedback. Until the DM asked if I'd take less money and a lower position. Ah. No. Not with my background and experience. Don't need to.

Bookseller Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied in person in the store and I included a nice looking resume with my application form. I got a phone call a few weeks later asking me to come in for an interview. The interviewer was nice and professional. I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Just a review of my resume and making sure that I am professional and interested in the position.   Answer Question

Merchandising Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2015.

The whole process, from submitting my application on, took about a month. Which is the only downside.

A week and a half after submitting my application, I got a call for an interview with the store manager, which was scheduled for the next week. A couple days after that, I scheduled an interview with the DM, which was scheduled the week after that.

Both interviews were your basic "tell me about this job" and "what would you do in this scenario" kind of thing.

A week or so after my second interview, I was emailed my background check form and they started calling my references. A little less than a week after that, I was offered the job at more than they originally said they would pay.

Interview Questions
    There was no need to negotiate. They came out of the gate with more than I was expecting for this position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2015.

I applied online. Within a week I was called to schedule an interview. I met with the hiring manager at the in-store cafe; she was genial and relaxed, which put me at ease, and the conversation lasted somewhere between half an hour and forty-five minutes. The interview wasn't too difficult, just your basic 'why do you want to work here,' 'what would you do if,' 'tell me about a time when' questions. She scheduled me for a second interview immediately afterward.

Bookseller Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interviews are easy as long as you are polite and concise. Must be able to hit the ground running because there will be very little training/cross training. Management is strict on membership sales depending on which store you are hired at.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work here?

Pick a book before going in and be enthusiastic about reading regardless of your preference.

View Answer

Barista Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Filled out an application online, then had an in-person interview with the manager. I initially wanted the position as a bookkeeper and submitted applications for them both, but I interviewed for the barista position in hopes of later being able to cross train.

Decent company with decent employee perks, obviously not the best pay (minimum wage). Seemed to be a positive, team-oriented company with lots of friendly co-workers.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me about myself and a few other questions, nothing too personal as I think she was trying to hire someone quickly. Said she'd get back to me as she had a few more people to interview, and then offered me the job and invited me for a training session by the end of the week.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Starting salary of $7.50. No tips.