Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2015

2.3

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied online. They called me the next day for an interview the day after that. The interviewer went through a list of pre-made questions on a paper. The usual stuff, like why do you want to work there, how did you deal with unhappy customers in your previous job. They told me they would call the next day either way, never did.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

Easy, just said why I would be a good fit for the job and how I loved customer service. She asked a couple of questions about work experience, and my passions.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read?   1 Answer

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (White Plains, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The guy was pretty cool and welcoming. Was very open and actually seem interested in what you had to say. Laid back and held it in the middle of the cafe so it was a tad bit distracting. Asked a lot of questions but the interview itself went through relatively fast.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carle Place, NY

Interview

The interview was brief and by the end of it you can definitely tell if you got the job or not. They ask the most basic general interview questions and get you in and out of there within a half hour. I had a one on one and the position was offered to me the next day. Be friendly, be passionate about books, and emphasize your abilities to help people.

Interview Questions

• What was one situation in which you had a disagreement with a manager? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What is your relationship with books?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Phone screening, one in person interview. Basic "tell me about yourself", strengths and weakness kind of thing. They explained the job and stressed memberships. Ran through scenario questions and previous experience working in retail.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when dealing with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Booseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Quick and easy. same question any other retail chain will ask.
    1:1 with the Store Manger for about 30 minutes. Very relaxed. Questions were from a questionnaire , following Company directives.

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied online. Didn't get hired, they needed someone with more experience. I visit there often just to study so there was no bad feelings. And the last time I went they already hired someone new.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite cafe drink?   1 Answer

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Honolulu, HI) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online through a listing I found on Indeed, and they contacted me approximately two weeks later to schedule an interview. I went in for the interview, and it was very casual. The first interview was about 10-15 minutes, and we mostly talked about my resume and former experience. Normally, they informed me that it takes about one to two weeks to get back to the applicant after the first interview if you've passed the first round of interviews, but they performed a second interview for me immediately. I was told that, as long as I pass a background test, I will be getting the job. I think that, normally, the entire process takes about a month, but I was very fortunate.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite book?   1 Answer
    • When was a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, and how did you deal with them?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions for us?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They let me know what the salary is.

Cafe Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surprise, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Surprise, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

I got a call from a cafe manager I believe and scheduled my interview. I went in it and it was in the cafe itself. She asked many questions and was very friendly, a lot of scenario questions. Then after that interview I got a 2nd interview with the manager of the store. And since then it went well and they are currently doing a background check. They also called all four of my references.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about sales?   1 Answer

Cafe Barista Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2015.

Interview

I applied for the Cafe Barista about 2 weeks ago and then was called for an interview the day after. The lady who interviewed me was the cafe barista manager. The interview went really well, she loved that I was a well organized person and knew the menu of the cafe. About a week later I called for a second interview by the store manager. That interview did not go as well, I felt like I wasn't that outstanding. Unsurprisingly, I got an email telling me I wasn't chosen.