Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2015
Updated Apr 7, 2015

2.3

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied online and was called by the store manager within a few days. He set up an interview for later in the week. I first met with one of the managers and talked to him for a while about my work and school experience. He asked me all the questions that they have to ask--what would you do in this situation, what did you do when you had an upset customer, etc. I then met with the store manager and talked about specifics--my availability, wage, etc. Both asked questions specific to a bookstore, such as what my favorite book was, if I knew how the store was organized, and if I would feel comfortable working in different areas of the store as well as cleaning the rest rooms if they needed cleaning during my shift. I haven't heard back yet, so I don't know if I will be receiving an offer or not.

Interview Questions

• What book are you reading right now?
      What motivates you?
      Describe a situation in which you had to change your course of action to provide better results.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Brief interview about my education background and why I wanted the position. Held in the cafe. Asked about my availability. Was happy that I was very able to do any of the shifts. Asked about the books I enjoy reading and who I would recommend it to. Was called within a week for the job.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read?
      What is your favorite book and who would you recommend it to?

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Brandon, FL).

Interview

Even though I applied for the Bookseller position, they had a cafe manager at the interview also, and I wound up working in the cafe after I was hired. The questions were all hypothetical situations, like, "what have you done in the past when I customer wasn't satisfied?" They asked what I liked to read, if I liked coffee, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had to resolve a conflict with a customer   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Relatively easy. Met with an assistant manager, she went over my qualifications and asked a few questions about my experience. Hired on the spot (contingent on passing background check).

Told I would start on a temporary part-time basis and would switch over to regular part-time as long as "everything worked out" (i.e. did not find a higher paying position)

After hire, was brought in, given employee handbook. Trained for one week, then relatively independent in role.

Retail Communications Specialist Interview

Interview

I had a phone interview with the HR person, who told me she would get back to me the next week regarding the next steps in the interviewing process. I didn't hear from her that week so I sent her a follow-up e-mail. No response. A week later, I sent her another e-mail. Again, no response. Why are HR people so rude? It would be nice if they're not interested in moving forward with you as a candidate to send a quick e-mail thanking you for your time. Ignoring prospective employees is not the right way to do business. They lost a good prospect. I will never apply here again. If this is how the HR department is then I can see that the whole place follows suit.

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

It was pleasant and the manager was very enthusiastic during the process. She was interested in hearing about what I liked to read, and what other kind of jobs I've had (camp counselor, student associate for a university). They really wanted open availability for scheduling, which wasn't really a problem.

Interview Questions

• What do you typically read in you spare time?
      What's a book you read recently that surprised you?

Corp Communications Interview

Interview

There were 2 rounds. I met with 3 people the first time and the second time, there was a writing assignment. Everyone was super friendly. the HR manager was sometimes hard to follow up with but eventually she got back to me.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic things, they asked for writing samples and press release experience.   Answer Question

Store Manager Interview

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Interviewed with two Store Managers. Went well. Interviewed with the DM. A little shocked by the demeanor. Thought it went well as it was a lengthy interview and appeared to have positive feedback. Until the DM asked if I'd take less money and a lower position. Ah. No. Not with my background and experience. Don't need to.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Wauwatosa, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

Conversational, way too chit chatty, in the open in the cafe around total strangers, zero privacy, positive but with some odd questions.
    Ended extremely well and with a vague offer of a job after the background check and reference review formality. After three weeks of not hearing anything was informed via form letter email that no job was coming. This is after a positive review of references and a positive background check - I know because I got a copy of it. Very unprofessional to make a vague job offer and then rescind it for no reason after three weeks and personal vetting.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you could sell books to people in Wisconsin, who are not very smart?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied in person in the store and I included a nice looking resume with my application form. I got a phone call a few weeks later asking me to come in for an interview. The interviewer was nice and professional. I got an offer a few days later.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Just a review of my resume and making sure that I am professional and interested in the position.   Answer Question