Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

2.3

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2009.

Interview

I walked in and there was a group of 15 people sitting at the table waiting to be interviewed w/ me. We all waited for the three managers to come in and then they had us say our names and something describing ourselves. Then they told us to go pick out a book and come back to the table. The head mgr. walked up to each of us and asked us to sell her the book. I was very nervous. There were people there w/ writing degrees and much older more mature adults that probably were more appealing than me. It could also be that they lost my application, twice. Organizational skills anyone? I had been asked to stay after the group interview and have a private interview. Which raised my hopes. She asked me about my work experience in previous job situations. How did I handle a bad situation? How did I make the customer happy again? The head store mgr. was very interested in money. Couldn't care less about books, it was all business and numbers for her, like most corporate management, I assume, but she was detached, ingenuine. It's too bad though, because I know childrens books really well and I would have been great in that section. Their loss. On to the next opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you provided excellent customer service?   Answer Question

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

After I attended the hiring event, the recruiter called me within a week to schedule for a on-site interview. The interview was straight forward with 3 rounds, Java, Databases and NoSql database question. The recruiter sent a mail saying will get back to you soon and just never got back. The least expectation is to let the candidate know what the decision is.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

3 rounds of interview. 2 skype interview and 1 onsite interview. They also ask about your personality. How do you work with team. Do you use Agile management? They speed up the interview process if you need to move fast.

Interview Questions

• They have the difficult technical test. You have to a good background in Data structure, search, sorting.   Answer Question

Director of Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Palo Alto, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

Solid Interview Process....spoke with 6 individuals...Directors and VP's

Interview Questions

• Questions around understanding of Industry and competitors   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pretty Easy and Very Open

Children's Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spartanburg, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Spartanburg, SC) in September 2014.

Interview

I had 2 interviews and they said they liked me, but they had other candidates to interview and would get back to me the following week. When I didn't hear back I stopped in and asked if they had selected their candidate and they told me they still had more interviews and their computer systems were down. They told me that I would hear back Friday. I get an email Saturday night saying I didn't get the job. This whole experience has been a complete waste of time. They could have told me that day I came in or over the phone I didn't get the job and explain why. Email rejections to me are very vague and also inconsiderate. I will not be applying to anymore jobs with Barnes and Noble. They have officially lost my respect and they have lost me as a customer.

Interview Questions

• Why have you chosen now to apply for a job with us?   1 Answer

Creative Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in December 2009.

Interview

I met with the head guy, who was great. Very nice and I really started to take the position more seriously after meeting with him. Then I met with the Director of Marketing who I knew immediately upon speaking with him that is was not going to work out. He and I had a great deal of difficulty in communicating. I could not really understand what he was trying to ask of me, nor could I really understand his current dilemma. I knew upon leaving that interview that I did not want the job.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about creating an email campaign that would highlight all of our offerings at B&N?   1 Answer

Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

When they first called me in for an interview, about a week or two after I first applied, we met on the second floor balcony and did group interviews. Each group had around 8-10 people in them and the manager had everyone introduce themselves before getting started. The manager then took out a pencil and paper and made notes on everyone's answers to the questions she asked. She asked around ten questions and whoever wanted to contribute could. The people that got picked were the ones who volunteered the most AND had smart answers to the questions asked by the manager. Those that stayed quiet and answered two questions were not asked back. I was extremely talkative, made eye contact, and had smart answers and got an offer which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was what you would do if a customer was angry.   Answer Question

Community Relations Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2012.

Interview

Resume was submitted online and I recieved an intial phone screening to determine qualifications. I was then asked to move on to an interview with the store manager. This was a scripted interview where she took notes and asked questions about sales stratgies and decided if my answer was strong or not. It looks like a rating system is used based on my answers to the questions.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Nook? If this isn't a product that you are familiar with, get comfortable with it prior to the interview.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in DeKalb, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (DeKalb, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

First I had to apply online at their company website, and they first contacted me by phone. We scheduled a first interview that lasted about 15 minutes, then I went back for a second interview which lasted about a half hour. Both managers were both real knowledgeable and open, and are great people to work with. I had to submit a background check, which there was a bit of a hiccup with because the first submission wasn't received, but I was hired a little less than a month later.

Interview Questions

• If you were working on a task, and someone asked you to start working on something else instead, what would you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't really any negotiation, I went to the second interview and was hired shortly after that.

Cafe Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Vernon Hills, IL) in March 2012.

Interview

I applied for part time work at the Barnes and Noble cafe. I had worked at the B&N cafe in the past: at the very same location I interviewed at this time. Several employees I had once worked with were still at the store, including a manager. I bring up these two points because you would assume that such things would make my interview process proceed more quickly and smoothly... but this was not the case. I was interviewed by the cafe manager and the store manager at the same time. The cafe manager took copious notes on my responses to her questions, which served to make things awkward from my perspective, because she took a minute or more of silent writing time between each question. "Describe two situations where you provided excellent customer service." "Tell me about a problem you had with a co-worker, and how you dealt with it." "How have you gotten along with co-workers whose personalities are very different from yours?" "Describe a situation where you failed to provide good customer service. How would you improve on it, if you could attempt it again?" Also, there were a lot of self analyzation questions, which are really obnoxious and tricky to answer, such as: "Name three of your strengths." "Name three of your weaknesses." "How do you think your friends would describe you?" The cafe manager then told me that she had asked the other employees at the store about me, (those who would have remembered me from my previous B&N employment) and all had spoken favorably about me. Apparently that wasn't enough for her, because she also told me that she called the references I listed on my application. The interview was approximately 30 minutes of non stop questioning, which felt excessive. The cafe and store manager told me multiple times that things had "tightened up" since I had last worked at B&N, and that now I would be much more closely watched. They also said that up-selling was now a much enforced part of the job, and I would need to up-sell every product to each customer. By the end of the interview, I felt like I had been through questioning for a governmental position! And the parting thoughts: "You will be watched much more closely," actually gave me a creepy vibe! This was not the enjoyable B&N cafe I had once worked at! The cafe manager called me several days after the interview and offered me a part time position, but I turned it down.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you successfully applied up-selling.   Answer Question

The atmosphere of the store did not give me the feeling that I would be trusted. While I understand the need for up-selling, the manager implied that if I was seen completing a transaction without up-selling, I would be written up. If I'm going to work for minimum wage, there are more trusting, relaxed environments to work in!