Barnes & Noble Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2014
285 interviews

2.2

Sales Interview

4 step with various bosses training and quizzes before inital interview long process almost not worth the effort for the pay offered

Sales Associate/Bookseller Interview

I applied online in February. I never received an email or phone call regarding my application or setting up an interview. I personally went to the store five times to speak to a manager about setting up an interview. Each time, my contact information was taken and I was told that I would receive a phone call soon. After two and a half months of following up, I called the store to speak to a manager. That is when I was told that the position was no longer available.

Receiver Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Torrance, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Torrance, CA

I interviewed online - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied online, in a week got called in for an interview. The interview was with the receiving manager and the assistant store manager. It was a group interview with four other people (originally 6 others but 2 people never showed up), I was the only one who didn't have sales experience everyone else were working with 5+ years on sales or just general retail. Questions went around to person to person, some of the questions were:

- How do you deal with urgency/deadlines/stress
    - How would you deal with a difficult situation with another co-worker, or supervisor
    - How have you in your past experiences promoted a product
    - Whats the best way for someone to learn something
    - Why do you want to work here
    - How do you make a customer feel welcome

Interview Questions
    • Well for me only because I don't have any experience in sales, one question that I struggled to answer was "How have you in your past experiences promoted a product" others answered on how they promoted their store's credit card program, or memberships and explained to them the benefits.   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Initially the interview was suppose to be a group interview but I was the only one he showed up the interviewer asked me questions like what kind of books do you read, what do you like on our cafe menu, why do you want tonwork for Barnes and noble, tell me a time when you make a mistake, how do you get people to trust you how to get people comfortable about you?

Bookseller Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied online, took a week to schedule interview. Straight-forward.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a difficult customer?   View Answer

Cashier Interview

Fairly straightforward hiring process. I went in and inquired whether they were hiring. I received the application which I dropped off the next day. I received a call expressing interest in an interview. Interview was similar to other retail interviews I had had. Nothing too difficult or unusual. I received a call a few days later saying that I was hired.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

APply online and then got interview...Once interview they will let you know.

there was none

Merchandise Manager Interview

group interview generally they have a job fair. You will get a better salary if you get brought in from the outside. They do promote from within but don't pay well. You will start at a small volume store and get moved around as you learn.

Cafe Server Interview

the hiring and interview process was of the easiest variety. there was an in person interview at the store location that consisted of a short conversation. the next day was orientation, also at the store, where we learned about barnes and noble as a company and work place. there was a standard backround check but no drug test.

Interview Questions
    • there was no difficult or unexpected questions. the entire thing was quite predictable and would not require any preparation for a person of even slightly below average intelligence.   Answer Question
    no negotiation, an offer was made that would not be changed. take it or leave it.

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Three interviews- HR interview and hiring manager interview in the same day, hiring manager's manager interview. Sometimes peer interviews on second visit if there is one.

Interview Questions
    • No set procedures, so just prepare to know the company story- that will impress them.   Answer Question
    None- it was take it or leave it.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!