Barnes & Noble

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
266 candidate interviews

Bookseller

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Stop by, fill out an application. If your lucky, get a call back for an interview. The manager who interviewed me preferred doing group interviews. So to stand out, one had to have good group dynamic skills and be charismatic enough to stand out in a crowd.

Interview Question – Nothing was that difficult, its retail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't any negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Part-time Cashier/Sales Associate Interview

Part-time Cashier/Sales Associate

Interviewed at Barnes & Noble

Interview Details – After attending an on-site job fair for prospective employees, I expressed interest and filled out a job application. Subsequently I was called for a formal interview, then was called back again as a participant in final-round interviews with the store manager. The longest and most involved process of my entire career, for the lowest compensation of my entire career.

Interview Question – No question was difficult or unexpected. Everything flowed from the first question: "What are you reading?"   Answer Question

Community Relations Manager Interview

Community Relations Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – You'll meet and interview with at least three people. The store manager, the district manager and the regional sales manager. All interviews will be different

Interview Question – They are looking for a "sales" type person for this position even though they don't tell you that   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Difficult. They told me the pay range and I ended up at the bottom because I didn't have any previous book experience. After three years of blowing my numbers out of the water they still refused to fight for me to get more money.

Lead Bookseller Interview

Lead Bookseller

Interviewed at Barnes & Noble

Interview Details – I filled out an application and then was called in for an interview. The lady who interviewed me was very nice in explaining what my job would entail and I was satisfied. I've been happily employed for over ten years at the same location. I would recommend working for the company to anyone who would like to work with books and meet and interact with intelligent people.

Cafe Server Interview

Cafe Server

Interviewed at Barnes & Noble

Interview Details – I was contacted about two weeks after I applied, over the phone. I went through a group interview, and then was called later for another interview. It was all pretty standard, nothing too difficult.

Interview Question – What is your favorite book?   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

Cafe Server

I applied online and interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Initially the interview was suppose to be a group interview but I was the only one he showed up the interviewer asked me questions like what kind of books do you read, what do you like on our cafe menu, why do you want tonwork for Barnes and noble, tell me a time when you make a mistake, how do you get people to trust you how to get people comfortable about you?

Interview Question – How do you get people to trust you.   View Answer

Bookseller

I applied in-person and interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – About 4 months after I applied I was contact by phone for an interview. I met with the manager and an assistant manager a few days later to discuss my retail experience, tastes in books and music, and customer service skills. I was offered the job a few days later.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. A fairly laid back interview.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Barnes & Noble

Interview Details – turned in application, received phone interview, and then face to face interview

Negotiation Details – management was up front about what could be offered

Bookseller

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Applications are submitted through BN.com only. If you get an interview, you will first interview with an assistant manager, then the store manager.

Interview Question – How would you handle a rude customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. predetermined pay rate

Community Relations Manager Interview

Community Relations Manager

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – One on one interviews and peer interview

Interview Question – Everything was pretty straight forward. No trick questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Barnes & Noble

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble interview questions and advice. All 266 interview reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees and interview candidates.