Barnes & Noble

2.3

Part Time Book Seller and Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2014.

I applied to the flagship store of the valley--the largest one in the state, actually. It's been my second home since I was in junior high (still is), so I've wanted to work there since I was 16. My first few attempts at getting an interview were smoted by HR, undoubtedly, given my lack of work experience--but I don't believe that should discourage anyone looking for their first "real job" from applying. (This was long enough ago that I constantly submitted paper applications; years later, after being hired, I can tell you that these paper applications were /constantly/ lost or hidden amongst numerous papers. In a way, it's a bit better organized now that everything's been switched online.)

I turned in my paper application during autumn, then followed up with a phone call--it took probably three days before I was called by the store manager to schedule an interview.

The interview itself was an absolute breeze--the store manager was new (their first day was my first day) and did a tag-team interview with the cafe manager (they will always try to get you in the cafe first--they'll move you onto the floor in about two weeks on average; not exactly the most honest of methods considering you're paid less as a barista, but at least you're cross-trained from the get-go). Everyone on staff was welcoming and friendly, and the management team--once you get past one or two prickly personalities--are hard-working and do their best to resolve conflicts and meet sales goals without stressing out employees (too much).

It's not an ideal situation, but it was probably the best I could have received from a retail position.

Interview Questions
    • "How do you deal with difficult people?"   View Answer
    With B&N, it's hard to negotiate. I was looking for any job at that point, to be honest (even if I really did want to work there), and I still need to work on my powers of negotiation, so I accepted minimum wage. If you are going for a management position, or any position above 'bookseller' or 'barista,' you may have more bargaining power.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Temecula, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2010.

They are looking for people with tons of energy. Bring your personality and enthusiasm to this interview. If you have a passion for art, history, writting, crafting etc....let the interviewer know.

Interview Questions
    • Can you work, nights, weekends and holidays. Availability is important. Students will have the opportunity to work around classes.   Answer Question
    Minimum wage. Not much negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2014.

Applied online, 2 weeks later received phone call to interview for the following day, Interview lasted 45 minutes with 2 different managers on the same day. Asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me a few questions, then asked me to approve for a background check four days later asked for 2 references, Next day received and offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you Sell or membership cards?   View Answer
    Non-negociable.

Cafe Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2012.

1st Interview occurred in small group setting, four people including myself with the store manager. The second interview a few days later was one on one with the store's assistant manager.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about at time you experienced a challenge with a coworker.   View Answer
    BN usually offers different pay per hour if you have a year or more experience in retail, so feel free to ask if you believe you are eligible for any additional raises.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Three scripted interviews. First with Store Manager, second a peer interview and final with a District Manager. After third interview the hiring decision was made and an offer by the Store Manager was made. No salary negotiation was accepted.

Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was semi-formal and took about 30 minutes. Was asked about my background with retail/school/interests. Got the offer a few days later. Trained for a few days then started on the floor.

Interview Questions
    • None really. The store manager asked about my favorite college coursework and what types of books i was into.   Answer Question
    Was offered a little higher salary than minimum wage due to my age and college degree.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, IL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2014.

I applied online and received a phone call for a phone interview that was conducted right then. Moved onto an in person interview a few days later. That interview was not great. The phone kept ringing and employees kept coming into the manager's office without knocking during the interview. I felt it was unprofessional, however it may have been a test to see how I reacted.

Temporary Seasonal Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2014.

I applied online and recieved a phone call two days inviting me to a group interview. Buisness casual was the dress code, I interviewed with 5 other people. Basic interview questions were asked. Stress your passion for books and good coustumer service. We were told that if we recieved a background request through email we most likely got the job 4 days later I recieved such email and once my background cleared which took a couple days I got a phone call and was offered the job.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2014.

Applied online and was called the next day for an interview.
     The interview was about 30 minutes and I felt really comfortable. It was a group interview so I was in there with one other girl. It was relatively simple. The interviewer was really chill, and there were two of them...one who wrote the answers

Interview Questions
    • How would you greet a costumer?
      Previous experience?
      What do you do when you make a mistake?

Answer Question

Merchandise Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2014.

They interview you two separate times, each by a different manager. They are very friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed. They ask you basic interview questions regarding your experience. Most of the questions relate to your previous experience, but they also ask a little about your dedication to books.

Interview Questions
    • What would you look for in someone you are considering hiring?   Answer Question