Barnes & Noble

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

2.3

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I was initially hired as a Seasonal Hire, but was retained as a part time employee. The interview was, surprisingly, stereotypically straightforward. The questions included:

1. Why do you want to work at a bookstore?
    2. What do you imagine working at a Bookstore to be like? ( The correct answer is not just recommending books, but stocking books, organizing displays, sales, etc.)
    3. How would you handle a disagreement with a coworker or a manager?

Interview Questions
    • Customers often come up wanting help finding a book they do not know the title of and that they heard about somewhere. How would you help them?   View Answer
    There was no real salary negotiation. Salary didn't come up during the interview.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The secretary called me and was very nice and told me to come in that week for an interview. I went and was interviewed by the district manager. He under cut my current salary and that was it.

Merchandise Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

After submitting application online, I was contacted 4 days later about an interview. Interview was scheduled for the following day with an Assistant Store Manager.

Arrived at location and checked in as instructed. Stood around for several minutes before was greeted by the ASM.

Interview was the standard "Tell me about a time..." That you exhibited x competency as a manager in your past. This interview lasted about an hour. She wanted me to stay for a 2nd interview with the Store Manager so I sat waiting in the café area for another 20 minutes. The Store Manager came and asked more questions. "What made you apply for Barnes & Noble?" And the like.

Will possibly be contacted in the next week and a half for a peer interview and district manager interview if they are interested. Will update review after those happen.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you delegated a project to someone   Answer Question

Cafe Barista Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

I applied online & received a phone call 2 days later. When i answered it was one of the managers & i had a phone interview for like 5 minutes. After the interview, he told me to come in the next day for another. I went in, had the interview & it went great. 10 minutes later, i was interviewed by the human resource manager, & that also went great. Real simple questions. She told me she would call me that night or the next evening to schedule another interview, but this time with the store manager. My next interview is in a view days.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

I applied for this position online and was called within two weeks to come to the store for an in-person interview. The interview itself took place in the cafe section of the store. I was given a one-on-one interview with an assistant manager in which I was asked about ten questions about myself and my approach to certain tasks regarding retail. Questions included, "What are you reading right now, Why do you want to work at Barnes and Noble, How would you approach a customer to gain an idea of their needs, What would you do in the store when customer activity is low" and a few others. Once I had answered these questions and agreed to the starting salary amount, I was asked to wait while the store manager was contacted. The store manager then met with me and asked me similar questions to which I gave similar answers again but with much more detail. I was then told that I would be contacted regarding a background check and that I would be contacted within the next few days regarding their decision.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you approach a disagreement with a member of management?"   Answer Question

As a recent graduate with a bachelor's degree and over four years of previous experience in retail, I felt that the starting salary and the store's inflexibility to provide a more appropriate salary were not a good fit for me.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

Received call 6 days after I applied. Process was very simple and the interviewer made me feel very comfortable. I was asked pretty basic questions. All of the employees were welcoming.

Interview Questions
    Non-negotiations. Payed over minimum wage.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Three scripted interviews. First with Store Manager, second a peer interview and final with a District Manager. After third interview the hiring decision was made and an offer by the Store Manager was made. No salary negotiation was accepted.

Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was semi-formal and took about 30 minutes. Was asked about my background with retail/school/interests. Got the offer a few days later. Trained for a few days then started on the floor.

Interview Questions
    • None really. The store manager asked about my favorite college coursework and what types of books i was into.   Answer Question
    Was offered a little higher salary than minimum wage due to my age and college degree.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2014.

Applied online, 2 weeks later received phone call to interview for the following day, Interview lasted 45 minutes with 2 different managers on the same day. Asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me a few questions, then asked me to approve for a background check four days later asked for 2 references, Next day received and offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you Sell or membership cards?   View Answer
    Non-negociable.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2014.

Good place to work if you like being around books, can be a bit boring as the stores are very slow during non peak season. Usually end up standing around in front of the register waiting for your next break but the people are nice and the management was good. Minimum wage sucks but its not unexpected for this kind of work.