Barnes & Noble Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 18, 2014
285 interviews

2.2

Bookseller Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

I applied online a few different times because I was really interested in working here. The last time I applied I got a call from a manager about a week later, but it went to voicemail. I called back and talked to a different manager than the one that called. He took a few minutes to go get my application and resume. He was super nice, and I could tell he actually read my application before talking to me. He asked a couple questions about my previous experience, why I wanted to work here and what some of my favorite books were. He then told me they would be reviewing the applications this week and next and would call me for an interview if they wanted me to come back. I'm still currently waiting for them to call back. Hopefully they do, if not I plan to call just to see what's going on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Metairie, LA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Metairie, LA

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

Two phone interviews followed by two in-person interviews (for a part-time entry-level position.) Everyone was very nice, but frankly they seem to be expecting too much for an $8/hr position. They act like they are interviewing you for a corporate job.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation offered. They also stated that I would be working 15 hours/wk and changed it to 22 without consultation.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2012.

3 rounds of interview. 2 skype interview and 1 onsite interview. They also ask about your personality. How do you work with team. Do you use Agile management? They speed up the interview process if you need to move fast.

Interview Questions
    • They have the difficult technical test. You have to a good background in Data structure, search, sorting.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norcross, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I was contacted by the store manager the day after I filled out an application and we set up an interview for a few days later. About two days after my interview, she called to offer me the job and I accepted. It was an easy process.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you see as some of your liabilities as an employee?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation on seasonal hourly pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2011.

There are two interviews before you get an offer. The first interview is with a lower manager, the second with the store manager. There are a few questions based on your personality and your work style, but most are situational. They want to know how you would act in situations that arise in the retail setting.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle an angry customer?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of a time you worked on a project you didn't believe in? What did you do?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a dispute with a coworker?   Answer Question
    There really isn't negotiation. They start pay at minimum wage and get you working within a week or two.

Bookseller Interview

I applied through their online system more than once. the first time I applied I waited a week before I got a reply and because I was eager I kept checking the site to assure that the position was available. About 5 minutes after I checked the site a week after I applied, I got an email saying the position was filled. So I waited a few minutes and visited the career website and the same store now had two openings instead of the original one. I was kind of upset and thought maybe the email was an error so I applied again and almost a week later I got a phone call setting up an interview. I got all new clothes for the process and my parents were really proud (I'm 17). When I went in they were able to schedule a double back to back interview with 2 managers. I went in with a resume and a certificate detailing my work experience in a library. I also went in with my certification in pre-professional education fundamentals. The first manager was nice and she had a bubbly personality but the second manager came off as very rude and standoffish and flat out told me that since I was young I had very little experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer or coworker that is in a bad mood?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Melbourne, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online and got a call the same day, asked me a few questions such as when I was availiable to work and when I could start. Asked me to come in for an interview 2 days later. I met with what I assume was the HR rep in our store at the cafe after waiting a few min for her to finish up another interview. She was nice and asked general questions about work history and things such as what was my biggest pet peeve and how I handled disagreements at work. She asked me how much experience I had in retail and with registers, since I have had no register experience she said that's ok they can train me. Finally when it came to references I didn't have 3 professional references and could not use family so I had to use personal and did not remember the last name for one of them so she pretty much ended the interview at that point and told me to call her when I could get the last name for my reference. I felt that it hurt my chance just because of my reference mistake. I have not heard anything back yet so I am hoping I do, she said they would call me.

Cafe Barista Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2014.

I put in my application for the cafe server position online, and was contacted about 3 days later. There was an impromptu phone interview that lasted about 15 minutes. They requested an in-person interview a few days later. I was interviewed by the cafe manager, inside the actual cafe. The total interview lasted a little over 25 minutes, and was fairly easy. Standard questions pertaining to cafe work, and my past history. Naming some skills I had that I thought would come in handy on the job and what I could bring to the table.
    I left and was contacted 2 days later or so, asking for an interview with the store manager. The questions with the manager were more broad and store-oriented instead of just cafe questions. She wanted to know what I would do in a certain situation, like with an irrational customer. I was asked about my favorite book and author, and what my overall availability was.

I was very honest with my answers, and did not hesitate to let them know if I didn't understand. It seemed to be appreciated by them, and made it easier on me.

Interview Questions
    • What threw me off the most was when the manager asked me to name 5 top qualities about myself, and the situation involving an irrational customer.   View Answer
    There was no real negotiation. I make minimum wage and average around 30 hours per week. They will always ask about your availability; the more open you are, the better chance you have,

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2013.

This was around the time when there were still paper applications, filled it out and handed it in along with my resume to the manager. Make sure you make an effort to COME IN PERSON to the store and introduce yourself to any of the managers. Also make sure to ask for the time when managers come in and their name.

Interview Questions
    • When you were working in retail, tell me about an experience where you were forced to control your stress levels? Thinking back I can really see why I was given that question.   View Answer
    I was given a call that I was hired and ready to start. There was no negotiation with pay. You get what your offered.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2013.

I was called in about three weeks after applying online and interviewed with a manager, about a day later i got the offer. The manager wanted to know if i was willing to be trained in multiple areas of the store and ask about how many hours i would want to work.