Barnes & Noble

275 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

San Bruno, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Interview Details – Questions about books you read, what your work backround is, How you feel about selling memberships, information about the company in general. Most likely you will get a second interview and it's hard to screw up.

Interview Question – If you are willing to say you'll take the ow wage with a straight face.   Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Part Time Book Seller
Honolulu, HI

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2013.

Interview Details – I Applied, they called, I interviewed and got the job. It was pretty straight forward. I can't really comment because I knew the manager and so it was kind of easy for me to get the job

Interview Question – How is your previous experience relevant to the job   Answer Question

Del Mar, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2014.

Interview Details – I was contacted the next day after I sent in my application, had the interview two days later, and was offered the job within a week.

Interview Question – There were no really difficult or unexpected questions. We mainly talked customer service and he gave me specific scenarios with a customer and how I would respond.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Associate/Bookseller Interview

Sales Associate/Bookseller

Interviewed at Barnes & Noble

Interview Details – I applied online in February. I never received an email or phone call regarding my application or setting up an interview. I personally went to the store five times to speak to a manager about setting up an interview. Each time, my contact information was taken and I was told that I would receive a phone call soon. After two and a half months of following up, I called the store to speak to a manager. That is when I was told that the position was no longer available.

Interview Question – When are you available?   Answer Question

Bookseller and Cashier Interview

Bookseller and Cashier

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2013.

Interview Details – The interview wasn't super long -- I would guesstimate around 40 minutes. It occurred in the manager's office in the back, and involved questions about my experience and interests. He asked me about my long term goals a bit and had a few questions about how I would respond to customers in certain situations.

Interview Question – What book would I recommend if the interviewing manager was my customer?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

DMA Interview

DMA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I had two interviews, one with an assistant manager and then with the store manager. The process has changed dramatically since I interviewed. I walked into the store, asked for an application, then turned it in with my resume. Now it's all online.

Interview Question – The questions were all pretty standard for a retail business. I was asked if I knew what their top sellers were that week. I didn't know the whole list, but I had seen their bestseller bay when I walked in, so I was able to name about 6 of the top 10 for fiction and 4-5 from the non-fiction side.   Answer Question

Fort Wayne, IN

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online. It took about 4 days before someone called me to set up an interview which was scheduled for two days after the initial phone call. Went in and the interview lasted 15 minutes. The interviewer was very polite and kind. Didn't feel like a high pressure interview. Notable questions were: What does good customer service mean to you, name a time you helped a difficult customer, why do you want to work here, do you like to read, favorite genre.

Interview Question – Questions were fairly standard.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Assistant Store Manager
Bergen, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2010.

Interview Details – Promoted from within to a management position. I was already doing the job I was hired for essentially, so the interview process was rather short and sweet.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself with the company in the next 5 years?   View Answer

Community Relations Manager Interview

Community Relations Manager
Grand Rapids, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – The interview process was standard. The management is looking for retail experience as well as a drive for success. You wiki be well served to research the company culture and values before applying for a position here.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

West Chester, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2013.

Interview Details – Online application. Phone interview followed by in-person interview with assistant manager.

Interview Question – The questions were very straightforward and what I expected.   Answer Question