Barnes & Noble

Relevance Date Difficulty

Cafe Server Interview

Cafe Server
Victorville, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

Interview Details – Filled out the online application and received a phone call the next day for a short phone interview and subsequent business casual, group interview at the location. They were a bit late in starting and there were 6 other interviewees there, along with the manager, assistant manager, and lead cafe server. We interviewed in what I could only assume was the breakroom. After a short business spiel from the manager of the store talking about the 3 positions available, we did small introductions and then we were asked to go out and pick one item from the store. When we got back we were asked to introduce the item and attempt to "sell" it to the other interviewees and interviewers. They deliberated privately in the manager's office for about five minutes and then returned and followed up on everyone's applications about time availability for working. They then told us that they would reach out by phone or email to each candidate for a 1:1 follow-up interview if we were chosen and then the interview was over. They conveniently held back three interviewees to do a little more follow-up on their applications. It's been over a week and I have not been contacted. Oh, well.

Interview Question – I guess we were just being tested on our selling ability during this interview. I read that they sometimes do this, but I had prepared for the cafe server position, not the bookseller position. Apparently, they cross-train all employees at Barnes & Noble so that any employee can fill in if another calls in sick or any other emergency.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interviews - HR by phone, hiring manager by phone, hiring manager in person and Director in person. Each round was thirty minutes to an hour. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. I was asked detailed questions around past work experience and knowledge of the job in question. It is a corporate environment so I wore a suit.

Interview Question – Questions were typical of most interviews.   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

Cafe Server
Birmingham, AL

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied to work for the Holidays in November, got a call to interview in March of the following year because they were desperate for people. Had a phone interview, then came in for a face-to-face. The cafe manger didn't make eye contact with me half the time in the interview and seemed distracted by everything else around me as she loudly smacked on her gum.

Interview Question – Tell me about a situation in which you had to learn something fast.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Part Time Book Seller
Antioch, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2014.

Interview Details – There was no phone interview, I was just asked to come in. I had two interviews, one was for the wrong position. They said they would call me, but never got back to me. Edit: They called me after a week to checkup, they were having problems internally with the BG check.

Interview Question – Try to think of a time, and give me an example, of when you were multitasking.   View Answers (2)

Graphic Intern Interview

Graphic Intern
New York, NY

Interview Details – I applied online, and got the email informing me about a phone interview on the next day. The interview was nice, but I didn't get the offer because the recruiter thought I don't have the passion in the technical field.

Interview Question – What's your favorite course in school?   Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Part Time Book Seller
Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online in August, then waited. In mid-september I received a phone interview. I was then called a week later to schedule a real interview. After this, I was asked to wait for a follow-up call and final interview if I was selected. (I was not, as another person who could work more hours was excepted.)

Interview Question – Not anything out of the ordinary!   Answer Question

Community Relations Manager Interview

Community Relations Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – The process started with a phone screening, then followed by three interviews. The first interview was with two of the store managers I would be working with; the second was with an assistant manager and a bookseller. The third interview was with the district manager. I just wrapped up my third interview a day ago and am waiting on a final decision. The questions in the first two interviews were pretty common ones related to customer service, literature, and communication skills. The final interview contained some obscure questions that I had to take a moment to answer, but I was never asked anything that really threw me off too much.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time where you approached a situation one way and then realized you needed to take another approach? How did you handle it? -This is a question where your response can really hurt you if you come up with an answer that isn't more on the positive side. Try to steer away from saying you were dealing with a customer that was so difficult you had to become overly stern in order to make them understand your business' policy, etc.   Answer Question

Creative Intern Interview

Creative Intern

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2014.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews. One from HR and one from Creative team. The HR interviewer was friendly and thorough. I thought the Creative team interview was not as good as the HR interview

Interview Question – Questions about non-creative related activities   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Durham, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Initial communication was by phone to set up interview. First interview was with Assistant Manager and then a follow up interview with the Store Manager. The process was all one-on-one and took place within the store. Total process took about two weeks.

Interview Question – I was asked about a previous job experience that had nothing to do with the position and then how to relate it to what I was applying for.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Bookseller Interview

Bookseller
San Bruno, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Interview Details – Questions about books you read, what your work backround is, How you feel about selling memberships, information about the company in general. Most likely you will get a second interview and it's hard to screw up.

Interview Question – If you are willing to say you'll take the ow wage with a straight face.   Answer Question