Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

2.3

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (White Plains, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The guy was pretty cool and welcoming. Was very open and actually seem interested in what you had to say. Laid back and held it in the middle of the cafe so it was a tad bit distracting. Asked a lot of questions but the interview itself went through relatively fast.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Phone screening, one in person interview. Basic "tell me about yourself", strengths and weakness kind of thing. They explained the job and stressed memberships. Ran through scenario questions and previous experience working in retail.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when dealing with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Booseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Quick and easy. same question any other retail chain will ask. 1:1 with the Store Manger for about 30 minutes. Very relaxed. Questions were from a questionnaire , following Company directives.

Cafe Server Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied online. Didn't get hired, they needed someone with more experience. I visit there often just to study so there was no bad feelings. And the last time I went they already hired someone new.

Interview Questions

• What's your favorite cafe drink?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gulfport, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Gulfport, MS) in May 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with the Café manager and one of the store managers. Lasted 30 minutes. Very laid back and they were very nice. After the interview, I was sure that I didn't get the job. Sure enough they called about a week later and asked for my references. Another week passed and they called back and scheduled an orientation with me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (North Little Rock, AR) in May 2015.

Interview

I was called in for a brief interview about two weeks after I filled out an application online. I went in and honestly just had a casual conversation with the store manager and an M.O.D. It was very light, no hard or trick questions. They were just looking for confidence and competence, mostly. We ended up mostly just talking about our mutual loves for books and coffee most of the time. I was hired on the spot after about 30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How do you confront coworkers or classmates when conflict arises in a task/project?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surprise, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Surprise, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

I got a call from a cafe manager I believe and scheduled my interview. I went in it and it was in the cafe itself. She asked many questions and was very friendly, a lot of scenario questions. Then after that interview I got a 2nd interview with the manager of the store. And since then it went well and they are currently doing a background check. They also called all four of my references.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about sales?   1 Answer

Children's Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Flagstaff, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Got a call for an interview in a little over a week. The manager of the store interviewed me, was a little late getting going with the interview due to two people calling in sick that day, so it was understandable. Very friendly. Asked about qualifications, what I could bring to the store etc.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about approaching a customer and helping them find a product?   Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Honolulu, HI) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online through a listing I found on Indeed, and they contacted me approximately two weeks later to schedule an interview. I went in for the interview, and it was very casual. The first interview was about 10-15 minutes, and we mostly talked about my resume and former experience. Normally, they informed me that it takes about one to two weeks to get back to the applicant after the first interview if you've passed the first round of interviews, but they performed a second interview for me immediately. I was told that, as long as I pass a background test, I will be getting the job. I think that, normally, the entire process takes about a month, but I was very fortunate.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite book?   1 Answer
    • When was a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, and how did you deal with them?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions for us?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They let me know what the salary is.

Part Time Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Glendora, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Glendora, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

The manager was extremely comforting and sweet. The establishment is absolutely personable and casual. I was asked questions about myself that allowed the manager to get to know me better. I found that it was very easy to talk to her and I was in love with the idea of getting the job. I wanted it so bad I was too excited for it.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite book?   1 Answer
    • Discuss your experience in sales.   1 Answer