Barnes & Noble

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.3

Cafe Server Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

I applied online and was called the next day to schedule an interview the following week after a very brief phone interview to make sure I fit the position needs. I know this normally isn't the case but I'm sure it depends on the timing, I know I normally would not be the first called because I have little to no paid work history. I arrived about five minutes early for the interview and was offered a drink which was used later in the interview. I was interviewed by the Cafe manager and the questions were fairly easy, a lot of them being situational (i.e. asking how I would handle stressful situations and how I would work with a team or build relationships with others on a team). After the interview with the cafe manager, the store manager came and asked me a lot of similar questions also about teamwork and my volunteer work because I had very little work history. One of the questions was also about how I fixed a mistake I made. I was also asked for references so make sure you have some ready! My people told me they actually did check in just to make sure I wasn't lying about my volunteer stuff. I got a call two days after my initial interview offering the job and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    Not much to negotiate because this is my first job

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Applied online, and was contacted by the hiring manager about a week later. After a brief phone screening in which I proved I was interested in books and was not an idiot, I was asked for an in-store interview. Atmosphere was very relaxed, and everyone was very nice. A few days later, I was asked to fill out information for a background check, and a couple days after that I got the job.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Was told the rate for the position.

Anonymous Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Initial phone interview with manager then a follow up in-person interview with the same manager. Questions were pretty easy. Mostly behavior based... tell me about a time when. Third in person interview with a District manager. Questions were based on resume history and situational questions. What would you do if...

Human Resources Assist/Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Reno, NV

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Had a phone interview. Asked mostly about my experience and why HR interested me. I was asked my salary requirements and then the interview was cut short. This position has a lot of responsibilities and I thought $14/hr was fair.

Cafe Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eugene, OR

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

I received a phone call from the lead server about 3 weeks after applying for the job, and was asked a few basic questions right away. (why did you apply for this job, why Barnes & Noble, etc.) At the end of this call, we scheduled an in-person interview two days later.

The in-person interview was very informal, and the lead server just interviewed me right in the store cafe. The questions were pretty straightforward and were mostly focused on how I would provide good customer service, or how my previous employment made me a good fit for the position. Some questions were a bit odd though, and the interviewer seemed really skeptical about whether I really wanted the job or not (I did). Overall, I got the impression that he didn't particularly want to be doing interviews at the time.

After the interview, which lasted about 20 minutes, he said that he would be interviewing 3 other candidates during the week, and that he would let me know within a few days whether I had made it to the next round of interviews. It's been about 3 weeks, and I haven't heard a peep.

Interview Questions
    • How would you help to make our many regular customers feel welcomed and comfortable?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I was contacted by the store manager the day after I filled out an application and we set up an interview for a few days later. About two days after my interview, she called to offer me the job and I accepted. It was an easy process.

Interview Questions
    • "What do you see as some of your liabilities as an employee?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation on seasonal hourly pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne, FL

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online and got a call the same day, asked me a few questions such as when I was availiable to work and when I could start. Asked me to come in for an interview 2 days later. I met with what I assume was the HR rep in our store at the cafe after waiting a few min for her to finish up another interview. She was nice and asked general questions about work history and things such as what was my biggest pet peeve and how I handled disagreements at work. She asked me how much experience I had in retail and with registers, since I have had no register experience she said that's ok they can train me. Finally when it came to references I didn't have 3 professional references and could not use family so I had to use personal and did not remember the last name for one of them so she pretty much ended the interview at that point and told me to call her when I could get the last name for my reference. I felt that it hurt my chance just because of my reference mistake. I have not heard anything back yet so I am hoping I do, she said they would call me.

Bookseller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

I applied through their online system more than once. the first time I applied I waited a week before I got a reply and because I was eager I kept checking the site to assure that the position was available. About 5 minutes after I checked the site a week after I applied, I got an email saying the position was filled. So I waited a few minutes and visited the career website and the same store now had two openings instead of the original one. I was kind of upset and thought maybe the email was an error so I applied again and almost a week later I got a phone call setting up an interview. I got all new clothes for the process and my parents were really proud (I'm 17). When I went in they were able to schedule a double back to back interview with 2 managers. I went in with a resume and a certificate detailing my work experience in a library. I also went in with my certification in pre-professional education fundamentals. The first manager was nice and she had a bubbly personality but the second manager came off as very rude and standoffish and flat out told me that since I was young I had very little experience.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a customer or coworker that is in a bad mood?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

I applied online a few different times because I was really interested in working here. The last time I applied I got a call from a manager about a week later, but it went to voicemail. I called back and talked to a different manager than the one that called. He took a few minutes to go get my application and resume. He was super nice, and I could tell he actually read my application before talking to me. He asked a couple questions about my previous experience, why I wanted to work here and what some of my favorite books were. He then told me they would be reviewing the applications this week and next and would call me for an interview if they wanted me to come back. I'm still currently waiting for them to call back. Hopefully they do, if not I plan to call just to see what's going on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

Process took 13 Days
    I applied on a Wednesday. I really wanted the job so I called the next day to make sure they got my application. I got a call that Sunday from the manager. We did and over the phone interview that lasted about 10 minutes. I was then asked to come in for a one on one interview the very next day.
    I came in and met with the assistant manager. She was very kind and we sat in the café. It was a very informal interview. She asked me general questions, nothing to difficult. At the end she told me I had gotten the second interview, and that I just had to wait for them to call and schedule it. I got a call that Wednesday and went for the interview the following Thursday. It lasted about 30 minutes. More generic questions like how have you dealt with an angry customer.
    I got a call that Monday offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, but some barnes and nobles do a review every few months where you are eligible for a raise