Barnes & Noble

Relevance Date Difficulty

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Part Time Book Seller
San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straight forward. The questions asked were standard for retail.

Interview Question – Name a time where you had an issue with somebody and resolved it.   Answer Question

Book Seller Interview

Book Seller
Corte Madera, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process took about 45 minutes. They asked why I would like to work there and why I would be a good choice. It wasn't a very difficult interview, mostly just trying to figure out if I would be a good fit to the staff. Make sure that I would be available the appropriate amount of hours.

Interview Question – Might have been: What do you think you need to work on or improve.   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Barista

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – They called to set up an interview a few days after I applied. I was interviewed with another applicant (applying for a different job), and then scheduled for a follow up interview a week later when we were done. The 2nd interview was with the head of the cafe to go over all the questions again and all the expectations. I was called a few months later.

Interview Question – Several questions related to past work (retail/customer) experience. How you handled problems, helped during special circumstances, etc.   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Applied online, took a week to schedule interview. Straight-forward.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult customer?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – APply online and then got interview...Once interview they will let you know.

Interview Question – How do you handle a crazy customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none

Very Easy Interview

Cafe Server Interview

Cafe Server
Manhasset, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Applied through the Barnes and Noble career website. Make sure to put down a lot of available times. At the interview they just asked how you would handle an angry customer, previous experience and availability.

Interview Question – How would you handle an angry customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. You get a wage based off of your experience.

Cafe Server Interview

Cafe Server

Interviewed at Barnes & Noble

Interview Details – the hiring and interview process was of the easiest variety. there was an in person interview at the store location that consisted of a short conversation. the next day was orientation, also at the store, where we learned about barnes and noble as a company and work place. there was a standard backround check but no drug test.

Interview Question – there was no difficult or unexpected questions. the entire thing was quite predictable and would not require any preparation for a person of even slightly below average intelligence.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, an offer was made that would not be changed. take it or leave it.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Merchandise Manager

Interviewed at Barnes & Noble

Interview Details – group interview generally they have a job fair. You will get a better salary if you get brought in from the outside. They do promote from within but don't pay well. You will start at a small volume store and get moved around as you learn.

Interview Question – scenario questions   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2010.

Interview Details – It was quick. A few questions about where I wanted to take my career and how my degree fit into the store dynamic. She liked my answers.

Interview Question – Do you plan on using this as a resume builder or are you planning longterm?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is what we'll offer you, take it or leave it. No negotiation

Bookseller Interview

Bookseller
Niskayuna, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2010.

Interview Details – I applied to the position of Bookseller. I kept checking back into the store to inquire about my application. Finally I got an interview and it was conducted openly in the cafe. After that I heard nothing so I stopped into the store again the next week and inquired and the manager said I had the job they just had to wait for a position to open up. The first position open was as a Barista in the cafe, so I took it thinking the second a position as bookseller opened up that I would get it. Two years later and many new booksellers had come and gone and I was still in the cafe. At that point I spoke to the managers and made them switch me over to the bookfloor.

Interview Question – For bookseller "What book are you reading?" and "How do you like it?" are loaded questions. They seem just conversational, but really the interviewer is testing to see how well you know the products in the store and how much extra work they will have to put into training you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate anything. This is a corporation and as so they will only offer you minimum wage unless you are starting in a supervisor's position.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Barnes & Noble