Barnes & Noble Interview Questions

Updated Aug 29, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brandon, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Brandon, FL).

Interview

Even though I applied for the Bookseller position, they had a cafe manager at the interview also, and I wound up working in the cafe after I was hired. The questions were all hypothetical situations, like, "what have you done in the past when I customer wasn't satisfied?" They asked what I liked to read, if I liked coffee, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had to resolve a conflict with a customer   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2015.

Interview

First was called on the phone asking if I could come in for an interview. After the first interview I was asked to come into a second. After the second I received word a week later and did not get the job. Some questions were a little tough but feeling comfortable is key, as they try to see how you react to stressful situations.

Interview Questions

• What's the last book you read? How would you respond to a customer who needed help?   Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online gave them a link to my resume and got a call about 2 weeks later the interview was 30 mins felt very comfortable once i got hired being my 1st retail job it was a bit shaky getting use to but after some time it became easier. the job now is very boring as a cashier you stand all day at the register and they only let you sit if your old or pregnant

Interview Questions

• was there ever a time you and a co worker had an argument/disagreement how did you handle it   1 Answer

Negotiation

they defiantly work around your schedule

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Honolulu, HI) in April 2015.

Interview

I was only in the interview for 10 minutes, which took place in the manager's office. He went over my application and asked about my experience (if I've ever worked in retail before) and availability. He only asked three or four questions, but not what's your favorite book or how would you increase sales. It was a really quick interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to learn something quickly   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Relatively easy. Met with an assistant manager, she went over my qualifications and asked a few questions about my experience. Hired on the spot (contingent on passing background check). Told I would start on a temporary part-time basis and would switch over to regular part-time as long as "everything worked out" (i.e. did not find a higher paying position) After hire, was brought in, given employee handbook. Trained for one week, then relatively independent in role.

Interview Questions

Interview

I had a phone interview with the HR person, who told me she would get back to me the next week regarding the next steps in the interviewing process. I didn't hear from her that week so I sent her a follow-up e-mail. No response. A week later, I sent her another e-mail. Again, no response. Why are HR people so rude? It would be nice if they're not interested in moving forward with you as a candidate to send a quick e-mail thanking you for your time. Ignoring prospective employees is not the right way to do business. They lost a good prospect. I will never apply here again. If this is how the HR department is then I can see that the whole place follows suit.

Anonymous Employee in Wauwatosa, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Wauwatosa, WI) in March 2015.

Interview

Conversational, way too chit chatty, in the open in the cafe around total strangers, zero privacy, positive but with some odd questions. Ended extremely well and with a vague offer of a job after the background check and reference review formality. After three weeks of not hearing anything was informed via form letter email that no job was coming. This is after a positive review of references and a positive background check - I know because I got a copy of it. Very unprofessional to make a vague job offer and then rescind it for no reason after three weeks and personal vetting.

Interview Questions

• Do you think you could sell books to people in Wisconsin, who are not very smart?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

It was pleasant and the manager was very enthusiastic during the process. She was interested in hearing about what I liked to read, and what other kind of jobs I've had (camp counselor, student associate for a university). They really wanted open availability for scheduling, which wasn't really a problem.

Interview Questions

• What do you typically read in you spare time? What's a book you read recently that surprised you?   Answer Question

Corp Communications Interview

Interview

There were 2 rounds. I met with 3 people the first time and the second time, there was a writing assignment. Everyone was super friendly. the HR manager was sometimes hard to follow up with but eventually she got back to me.

Interview Questions

• Pretty basic things, they asked for writing samples and press release experience.   Answer Question

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

first round was with the HR. Second was with the hiring manager. Third was with the heads of a few departments. It was tedious on the last round because you had to meet 4 people in a row. The problem in this bad economy is most are afraid to make a decision.

Interview Questions

• my knowledge of the industry and work ethic   1 Answer