Barnes & Noble

273 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bookseller Interview

Bookseller

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Applied online, took a week to schedule interview. Straight-forward.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult customer?   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – APply online and then got interview...Once interview they will let you know.

Interview Question – How do you handle a crazy customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none

Cafe Server Interview

Cafe Server
Manhasset, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Applied through the Barnes and Noble career website. Make sure to put down a lot of available times. At the interview they just asked how you would handle an angry customer, previous experience and availability.

Interview Question – How would you handle an angry customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. You get a wage based off of your experience.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cafe Server Interview

Cafe Server

Interviewed at Barnes & Noble

Interview Details – the hiring and interview process was of the easiest variety. there was an in person interview at the store location that consisted of a short conversation. the next day was orientation, also at the store, where we learned about barnes and noble as a company and work place. there was a standard backround check but no drug test.

Interview Question – there was no difficult or unexpected questions. the entire thing was quite predictable and would not require any preparation for a person of even slightly below average intelligence.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation, an offer was made that would not be changed. take it or leave it.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Merchandise Manager

Interviewed at Barnes & Noble

Interview Details – group interview generally they have a job fair. You will get a better salary if you get brought in from the outside. They do promote from within but don't pay well. You will start at a small volume store and get moved around as you learn.

Interview Question – scenario questions   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Columbus, OH

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in April 2010.

Interview Details – It was quick. A few questions about where I wanted to take my career and how my degree fit into the store dynamic. She liked my answers.

Interview Question – Do you plan on using this as a resume builder or are you planning longterm?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – This is what we'll offer you, take it or leave it. No negotiation

Bookseller Interview

Bookseller
Niskayuna, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2010.

Interview Details – I applied to the position of Bookseller. I kept checking back into the store to inquire about my application. Finally I got an interview and it was conducted openly in the cafe. After that I heard nothing so I stopped into the store again the next week and inquired and the manager said I had the job they just had to wait for a position to open up. The first position open was as a Barista in the cafe, so I took it thinking the second a position as bookseller opened up that I would get it. Two years later and many new booksellers had come and gone and I was still in the cafe. At that point I spoke to the managers and made them switch me over to the bookfloor.

Interview Question – For bookseller "What book are you reading?" and "How do you like it?" are loaded questions. They seem just conversational, but really the interviewer is testing to see how well you know the products in the store and how much extra work they will have to put into training you.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not able to negotiate anything. This is a corporation and as so they will only offer you minimum wage unless you are starting in a supervisor's position.

Digital Sales Lead Interview

Digital Sales Lead
Palmdale, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2010.

Interview Details – All hiring process is done online. Best times to consider a in store position is prior to major holiday times. Food and cafe skills are always being demanded in the store.

Interview Question – What would you do if your position no longer existed one day?   View Answer

Distribution Center Loss Prevention Manager Interview

Distribution Center Loss Prevention Manager

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Phone Interview, Then in person interview within a week

Interview Question – Typical questions. He explained that the loss prevention department is fairly new within the company and what I could offer the company to help kickstart programs   Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Part Time Book Seller
Columbia, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call about a week later to schedule an interview for the following week. Went in for the interview which was one-on-one in the cafe area. It was very casual as there were people going about their daily lives as I was being given an interview. The manger that interviewed me was very nice and loved the fact that I knew about many mainstream books and authors. The questions were very basic interview questions. I've never had a retail job before so he asked me what I would do if I were a customer in the situations. After the interview he seemed very interested in me and told me that he would have to call and check my references and run a background check. The entire process took about two weeks which I thought was a bit lengthy. However, it was very simple.

Interview Question – How did you resolve the last disagreement you had with a co-worker or friend?
If you were a customer here and had a complaint, how would you go about resolving the issue?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase. Part time and minimum wage.