Barnes & Noble

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Barnes & Noble

Interview Details – group interview generally they have a job fair. You will get a better salary if you get brought in from the outside. They do promote from within but don't pay well. You will start at a small volume store and get moved around as you learn.

Interview Question – scenario questions   Answer Question

Merchandise Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I applied to Barnes and Nobles a while back but never heard anything. A month or two went by and I got a call for a interview. I did two interviews the same day with both the store and asst. store manger, both female by the way. I was told they had a few other people to look at but would get back to me. A week later I had a invite for a background check via email but was not called about it. I did it anyways and sent it in. Two weeks went by and I lost hope, that Monday I received a call from a DM asking to do a phone interview, he was nice thanked me for my time and told me they would get back to me one way or the other. Another two weeks went by and I again lost hope. I was called this morning and offered the job, I guess they had a hell of a time talking to my old Manager for some reason and it delayed the process.

Interview Question – There weren't any really, very standard questions. They want answers that make it clear you understand the customers come first no mater what.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, they offered me what I was looking for.

Vernon Hills, IL

I applied online - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2013.

Interview Details – I seen a post on indeed and just emailed my resume. Took about a week or two got a call more like a phone screen. I was asked to come in meet Assistant Store Manager so I did. Interview was about 30 to 40mins long went pretty good. About week later I get a call asking me to come meet with Store Manager. I met the Store Manager I was really not impressed at all. More like a debate then a interview. Pay would of been around $12 to $14 bucks which was way to low then the $22 an hour I make. Pay is really low within Barnes & Noble unless your an Assistant Store Manager as the Merchandise Manager is beneath that position. With my experience in retail management I don't think I would take a pay cut for a book store. Word of advice to that Store Manager the Assistant Store Manager was worth my time not so much her. Don't work for a book store sooner or later they will be out of business look at borders book stores they all closed down. This one is on the next list... It seems like they always post a job in management must be that no one wants to last as it's not a good place.

Interview Question – Just your standard questions with some aggressive remarks towards my answers which was uncalled for.   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2011.

Interview Details – I saw a posting online that BN was hiring for a specific location. It said to email your resume if interested. I got a phone response 2 days later to set up an interview! I really want this position! The interview went well, we talked a lot about my work history. Towards the end, she mentioned that she had a few more interviews and then she'll let me know.

Interview Questions

Merchandising Manager Interview

Merchandising Manager
Chicago, IL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2010.

Interview Details – I had 1 face to face interview with the Store Manager it went well so I thought. It was more like
a conversation than a hard core interview. It was a behavior interview, which I do very well with.
B&N employees are very professional and make you feel comfortable. Good experience.

Interview Question – Why did I leave my last job?   View Answer

Merchandising Manager Interview

Merchandising Manager
Saint Cloud, MN

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2009.

Interview Details – I was called on Tuesday and interviewed on Friday.I was asked why I wanted to work at the store and why I thought the job was right for me? I was also asked to tell him about myself and what I did at previous employers. During the interview we were interrupted by another employee offering to take the phone, which I knew then I wasnt getting hired.

Interview Question – Tell him about myself   View Answers (2)

Merchandise Manager

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2009.

Interview Details – The process was fairly slow in the beginning. But as soon as the process began, it had a quick upkeep. I went through several rounds of interviews, in person and over the phone and the people were very nice about it. I received the interview afterwards and accepted it immediately

Interview Question – do you know our shelving system?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Barnes & Noble

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble Merchandise Manager interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees and interview candidates.