Barnes & Noble Merchandise Manager Interview Questions

Updated Feb 15, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Independence, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Independence, MO) in February 2015.

Interview

The whole process, from submitting my application on, took about a month. Which is the only downside. A week and a half after submitting my application, I got a call for an interview with the store manager, which was scheduled for the next week. A couple days after that, I scheduled an interview with the DM, which was scheduled the week after that. Both interviews were your basic "tell me about this job" and "what would you do in this scenario" kind of thing. A week or so after my second interview, I was emailed my background check form and they started calling my references. A little less than a week after that, I was offered the job at more than they originally said they would pay.

Interview Questions

• Would you be willing to relocate?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no need to negotiate. They came out of the gate with more than I was expecting for this position.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2015.

Interview

After submitting application online, I was contacted 4 days later about an interview. Interview was scheduled for the following day with an Assistant Store Manager. Arrived at location and checked in as instructed. Stood around for several minutes before was greeted by the ASM. Interview was the standard "Tell me about a time..." That you exhibited x competency as a manager in your past. This interview lasted about an hour. She wanted me to stay for a 2nd interview with the Store Manager so I sat waiting in the café area for another 20 minutes. The Store Manager came and asked more questions. "What made you apply for Barnes & Noble?" And the like. Will possibly be contacted in the next week and a half for a peer interview and district manager interview if they are interested. Will update review after those happen.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you delegated a project to someone   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Macon, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Macon, GA).

Interview

Three scripted interviews. First with Store Manager, second a peer interview and final with a District Manager. After third interview the hiring decision was made and an offer by the Store Manager was made. No salary negotiation was accepted.

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Columbus, OH) in October 2014.

Interview

They interview you two separate times, each by a different manager. They are very friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed. They ask you basic interview questions regarding your experience. Most of the questions relate to your previous experience, but they also ask a little about your dedication to books.

Interview Questions

• What would you look for in someone you are considering hiring?   Answer Question

Merchandise Manager Interview

Interview

group interview generally they have a job fair. You will get a better salary if you get brought in from the outside. They do promote from within but don't pay well. You will start at a small volume store and get moved around as you learn.

Merchandise Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied to Barnes and Nobles a while back but never heard anything. A month or two went by and I got a call for a interview. I did two interviews the same day with both the store and asst. store manger, both female by the way. I was told they had a few other people to look at but would get back to me. A week later I had a invite for a background check via email but was not called about it. I did it anyways and sent it in. Two weeks went by and I lost hope, that Monday I received a call from a DM asking to do a phone interview, he was nice thanked me for my time and told me they would get back to me one way or the other. Another two weeks went by and I again lost hope. I was called this morning and offered the job, I guess they had a hell of a time talking to my old Manager for some reason and it delayed the process.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any really, very standard questions. They want answers that make it clear you understand the customers come first no mater what.   Answer Question

Negotiation

None, they offered me what I was looking for.

Anonymous Employee in Vernon Hills, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Vernon Hills, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

I seen a post on indeed and just emailed my resume. Took about a week or two got a call more like a phone screen. I was asked to come in meet Assistant Store Manager so I did. Interview was about 30 to 40mins long went pretty good. About week later I get a call asking me to come meet with Store Manager. I met the Store Manager I was really not impressed at all. More like a debate then a interview. Pay would of been around $12 to $14 bucks which was way to low then the $22 an hour I make. Pay is really low within Barnes & Noble unless your an Assistant Store Manager as the Merchandise Manager is beneath that position. With my experience in retail management I don't think I would take a pay cut for a book store. Word of advice to that Store Manager the Assistant Store Manager was worth my time not so much her. Don't work for a book store sooner or later they will be out of business look at borders book stores they all closed down. This one is on the next list... It seems like they always post a job in management must be that no one wants to last as it's not a good place.

Interview Questions

• Just your standard questions with some aggressive remarks towards my answers which was uncalled for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Columbus, OH) in January 2011.

Interview

I saw a posting online that BN was hiring for a specific location. It said to email your resume if interested. I got a phone response 2 days later to set up an interview! I really want this position! The interview went well, we talked a lot about my work history. Towards the end, she mentioned that she had a few more interviews and then she'll let me know.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Chicago, IL) in March 2010.

Interview

I had 1 face to face interview with the Store Manager it went well so I thought. It was more like a conversation than a hard core interview. It was a behavior interview, which I do very well with. B&N employees are very professional and make you feel comfortable. Good experience.

Interview Questions

• Why did I leave my last job?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Cloud, MN

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Saint Cloud, MN) in June 2009.

Interview

I was called on Tuesday and interviewed on Friday.I was asked why I wanted to work at the store and why I thought the job was right for me? I was also asked to tell him about myself and what I did at previous employers. During the interview we were interrupted by another employee offering to take the phone, which I knew then I wasnt getting hired.