Barnes & Noble

Updated Nov 18, 2014

2.6

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2014.

They interview you two separate times, each by a different manager. They are very friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed. They ask you basic interview questions regarding your experience. Most of the questions relate to your previous experience, but they also ask a little about your dedication to books.

Interview Questions
  • What would you look for in someone you are considering hiring?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Merchandise Manager Interview

group interview generally they have a job fair. You will get a better salary if you get brought in from the outside. They do promote from within but don't pay well. You will start at a small volume store and get moved around as you learn.

Merchandise Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied to Barnes and Nobles a while back but never heard anything. A month or two went by and I got a call for a interview. I did two interviews the same day with both the store and asst. store manger, both female by the way. I was told they had a few other people to look at but would get back to me. A week later I had a invite for a background check via email but was not called about it. I did it anyways and sent it in. Two weeks went by and I lost hope, that Monday I received a call from a DM asking to do a phone interview, he was nice thanked me for my time and told me they would get back to me one way or the other. Another two weeks went by and I again lost hope. I was called this morning and offered the job, I guess they had a hell of a time talking to my old Manager for some reason and it delayed the process.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any really, very standard questions. They want answers that make it clear you understand the customers come first no mater what.   Answer Question
    None, they offered me what I was looking for.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2013.

I seen a post on indeed and just emailed my resume. Took about a week or two got a call more like a phone screen. I was asked to come in meet Assistant Store Manager so I did. Interview was about 30 to 40mins long went pretty good. About week later I get a call asking me to come meet with Store Manager. I met the Store Manager I was really not impressed at all. More like a debate then a interview. Pay would of been around $12 to $14 bucks which was way to low then the $22 an hour I make. Pay is really low within Barnes & Noble unless your an Assistant Store Manager as the Merchandise Manager is beneath that position. With my experience in retail management I don't think I would take a pay cut for a book store. Word of advice to that Store Manager the Assistant Store Manager was worth my time not so much her. Don't work for a book store sooner or later they will be out of business look at borders book stores they all closed down. This one is on the next list... It seems like they always post a job in management must be that no one wants to last as it's not a good place.

Interview Questions
    • Just your standard questions with some aggressive remarks towards my answers which was uncalled for.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2011.

I saw a posting online that BN was hiring for a specific location. It said to email your resume if interested. I got a phone response 2 days later to set up an interview! I really want this position! The interview went well, we talked a lot about my work history. Towards the end, she mentioned that she had a few more interviews and then she'll let me know.

Merchandising Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2010.

I had 1 face to face interview with the Store Manager it went well so I thought. It was more like
    a conversation than a hard core interview. It was a behavior interview, which I do very well with.
    B&N employees are very professional and make you feel comfortable. Good experience.

Merchandising Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Cloud, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Cloud, MN

The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2009.

I was called on Tuesday and interviewed on Friday.I was asked why I wanted to work at the store and why I thought the job was right for me? I was also asked to tell him about myself and what I did at previous employers. During the interview we were interrupted by another employee offering to take the phone, which I knew then I wasnt getting hired.

Merchandise Manager Interview

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2009.

The process was fairly slow in the beginning. But as soon as the process began, it had a quick upkeep. I went through several rounds of interviews, in person and over the phone and the people were very nice about it. I received the interview afterwards and accepted it immediately