Barnes & Noble Interview Questions & Reviews in New York City, NY

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Basking Ridge, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Basking Ridge, NJ

I interviewed online - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

I got an email from HR assistant. Scheduled the first onsite interview without any phone interview. The interview is less than an hour. The hiring manager is fine but the reception and HR is indifferent.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bronx, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2013.

This was around the time when there were still paper applications, filled it out and handed it in along with my resume to the manager. Make sure you make an effort to COME IN PERSON to the store and introduce yourself to any of the managers. Also make sure to ask for the time when managers come in and their name.

Interview Questions
    • When you were working in retail, tell me about an experience where you were forced to control your stress levels? Thinking back I can really see why I was given that question.   View Answer
    I was given a call that I was hired and ready to start. There was no negotiation with pay. You get what your offered.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

3 rounds of interviews - HR by phone, hiring manager by phone, hiring manager in person and Director in person. Each round was thirty minutes to an hour. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. I was asked detailed questions around past work experience and knowledge of the job in question. It is a corporate environment so I wore a suit.

Graphic Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

I applied online, and got the email informing me about a phone interview on the next day. The interview was nice, but I didn't get the offer because the recruiter thought I don't have the passion in the technical field.

Cafe Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manhasset, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhasset, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied through the Barnes and Noble career website. Make sure to put down a lot of available times. At the interview they just asked how you would handle an angry customer, previous experience and availability.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. You get a wage based off of your experience.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

The job interview process was very fair i walk in there and i was glad the manager was there he said he was short and ask if i had experience as a barista once i said yes he just checked my class schedule and said he would interview a few more people before call me with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was the names and how to to do every drink in the cafe.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online and few hours later someone called to set up an interview. We had a mini phone interview (why b&n). Set up interview for same day. It was at the cafe in store

Interview Questions
    • what books are you reading atm, what is your fave book, how would you approach a customer etc.- just smile and seem approachable   Answer Question
    no negotiation. $8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

I had no experience. I applied online, and I received a call within three days asking me to come in for an interview. The caller asked me to dress professionally, and was very specific about what not to wear. The interview itself was very casual and laid-back, and it took place in the employee office. The interviewer was extremely nice and smiling. She made sure you were comfortable and tried to make you relax. She didn't ask me any unexpected questions at all. Some of the things she asked me were why I wanted to work at Barnes & Noble, what my favorite book was, if I was authorized to work, if I was familiar with the store layout, what my availability was, what my parents worked as... then, she asked the store manager to speak to me, and this lady was even nicer than the previous one. Again, she asked me very straightforward questions: if I knew how to gift wrap, if I wanted to pursue higher education, what I wanted a career in, what genre was my favorite, if I was familiar with big-gun authors etc etc. Nothing difficult at all. She then told me that she would stay in touch with me to let me know what my next steps were.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite book, favorite genre and why?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, because I wanted the experience more than I wanted the pay. However, the employers seemed very flexible when it came to timings. Not so much when it came to the wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied online. a few weeks later got a phone call asking if was still interested. Had a short talk with all the standard "why do you want to work here," what book experience do you have" etc. Then a date set for a 30 minute in person interview in a crowded office where people kept coming and going. Pretty standard stuff. Asked if I could deal with being thrown in the deep end with little training. When I said yes, I did not know I would handed to perhaps the crappiest trainer I have ever had who was downright hostile to me (and customers). The two asst managers I dealt with were REALLY good and I immediately respected them.

a simple criminal check, no drug or financial check.

Interview Questions
    • what is your favorite book- (answer does not matter) now sell me that book. Why should I buy it. (which was a pretty good question I thought. A little difficult to keep a straight face when told things about industry I knew were not true, but that's the party line.   Answer Question
    They promised to try and get me a small increase as I had so much experience, but then AFTER being hired said they could not as I was only a temp. I got the feeling they only hire temps to see if they work out.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2012.

Interview with Director of Internal Audit

Interview Questions

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!