Barnes & Noble

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was semi-formal and took about 30 minutes. Was asked about my background with retail/school/interests. Got the offer a few days later. Trained for a few days then started on the floor.

Interview Questions
    • None really. The store manager asked about my favorite college coursework and what types of books i was into.   Answer Question
    Was offered a little higher salary than minimum wage due to my age and college degree.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2014.

Applied online, 2 weeks later received phone call to interview for the following day, Interview lasted 45 minutes with 2 different managers on the same day. Asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me a few questions, then asked me to approve for a background check four days later asked for 2 references, Next day received and offer.

Interview Questions
    • How would you Sell or membership cards?   View Answer
    Non-negociable.

Buyer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Basking Ridge, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2014.

I got an email from HR assistant. Scheduled the first onsite interview without any phone interview. The interview is less than an hour. The hiring manager is fine but the reception and HR is indifferent.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

3 rounds of interviews - HR by phone, hiring manager by phone, hiring manager in person and Director in person. Each round was thirty minutes to an hour. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. I was asked detailed questions around past work experience and knowledge of the job in question. It is a corporate environment so I wore a suit.

Graphic Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

I applied online, and got the email informing me about a phone interview on the next day. The interview was nice, but I didn't get the offer because the recruiter thought I don't have the passion in the technical field.

Cafe Server Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhasset, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manhasset, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied through the Barnes and Noble career website. Make sure to put down a lot of available times. At the interview they just asked how you would handle an angry customer, previous experience and availability.

Interview Questions
    No negotiations. You get a wage based off of your experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

I applied online and few hours later someone called to set up an interview. We had a mini phone interview (why b&n). Set up interview for same day. It was at the cafe in store

Interview Questions
    • what books are you reading atm, what is your fave book, how would you approach a customer etc.- just smile and seem approachable   Answer Question
    no negotiation. $8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied online. a few weeks later got a phone call asking if was still interested. Had a short talk with all the standard "why do you want to work here," what book experience do you have" etc. Then a date set for a 30 minute in person interview in a crowded office where people kept coming and going. Pretty standard stuff. Asked if I could deal with being thrown in the deep end with little training. When I said yes, I did not know I would handed to perhaps the crappiest trainer I have ever had who was downright hostile to me (and customers). The two asst managers I dealt with were REALLY good and I immediately respected them.

a simple criminal check, no drug or financial check.

Interview Questions
    • what is your favorite book- (answer does not matter) now sell me that book. Why should I buy it. (which was a pretty good question I thought. A little difficult to keep a straight face when told things about industry I knew were not true, but that's the party line.   Answer Question
    They promised to try and get me a small increase as I had so much experience, but then AFTER being hired said they could not as I was only a temp. I got the feeling they only hire temps to see if they work out.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

I had no experience. I applied online, and I received a call within three days asking me to come in for an interview. The caller asked me to dress professionally, and was very specific about what not to wear. The interview itself was very casual and laid-back, and it took place in the employee office. The interviewer was extremely nice and smiling. She made sure you were comfortable and tried to make you relax. She didn't ask me any unexpected questions at all. Some of the things she asked me were why I wanted to work at Barnes & Noble, what my favorite book was, if I was authorized to work, if I was familiar with the store layout, what my availability was, what my parents worked as... then, she asked the store manager to speak to me, and this lady was even nicer than the previous one. Again, she asked me very straightforward questions: if I knew how to gift wrap, if I wanted to pursue higher education, what I wanted a career in, what genre was my favorite, if I was familiar with big-gun authors etc etc. Nothing difficult at all. She then told me that she would stay in touch with me to let me know what my next steps were.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite book, favorite genre and why?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation, because I wanted the experience more than I wanted the pay. However, the employers seemed very flexible when it came to timings. Not so much when it came to the wage.

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

The job interview process was very fair i walk in there and i was glad the manager was there he said he was short and ask if i had experience as a barista once i said yes he just checked my class schedule and said he would interview a few more people before call me with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was the names and how to to do every drink in the cafe.   Answer Question