Barnes & Noble Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Newark, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was basic. I was just surprised that there was two interviews and they actually wanted two references to really call. Most people don't call references but they most certainly do. I took about two week from first interview to signing papers.

Customer Service Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

Good wasn't so bad wanted to know your personal interest. very nice brief straight to the point. overall it was regular it was one on one had to watch a video and walk around the floor to meet people. It was a good interview.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

Easy, just said why I would be a good fit for the job and how I loved customer service. She asked a couple of questions about work experience, and my passions.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carle Place, NY

Interview

The interview was brief and by the end of it you can definitely tell if you got the job or not. They ask the most basic general interview questions and get you in and out of there within a half hour. I had a one on one and the position was offered to me the next day. Be friendly, be passionate about books, and emphasize your abilities to help people.

Interview Questions

• What was one situation in which you had a disagreement with a manager? How did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What is your relationship with books?   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (White Plains, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The guy was pretty cool and welcoming. Was very open and actually seem interested in what you had to say. Laid back and held it in the middle of the cafe so it was a tad bit distracting. Asked a lot of questions but the interview itself went through relatively fast.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online gave them a link to my resume and got a call about 2 weeks later the interview was 30 mins felt very comfortable once i got hired being my 1st retail job it was a bit shaky getting use to but after some time it became easier. the job now is very boring as a cashier you stand all day at the register and they only let you sit if your old or pregnant

Interview Questions

• was there ever a time you and a co worker had an argument/disagreement how did you handle it   1 Answer

Negotiation

they defiantly work around your schedule

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

first round was with the HR. Second was with the hiring manager. Third was with the heads of a few departments. It was tedious on the last round because you had to meet 4 people in a row. The problem in this bad economy is most are afraid to make a decision.

Interview Questions

• my knowledge of the industry and work ethic   1 Answer

Lead Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Paramus, NJ).

Interview

The interview was semi-formal and took about 30 minutes. Was asked about my background with retail/school/interests. Got the offer a few days later. Trained for a few days then started on the floor.

Interview Questions

• None really. The store manager asked about my favorite college coursework and what types of books i was into.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was offered a little higher salary than minimum wage due to my age and college degree.

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online, 2 weeks later received phone call to interview for the following day, Interview lasted 45 minutes with 2 different managers on the same day. Asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me a few questions, then asked me to approve for a background check four days later asked for 2 references, Next day received and offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you Sell or membership cards?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negociable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Asked questions regarding your favorite books, who inspires you, how do you deal with a difficult customer. It's usually a one-on-one process with your interviewer, though I've seen two to three people be interviewed.