Barnes & Noble

Average Difficulty
23 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bronx, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2013.

Interview Details – This was around the time when there were still paper applications, filled it out and handed it in along with my resume to the manager. Make sure you make an effort to COME IN PERSON to the store and introduce yourself to any of the managers. Also make sure to ask for the time when managers come in and their name.

Interview Question – When you were working in retail, tell me about an experience where you were forced to control your stress levels? Thinking back I can really see why I was given that question.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was given a call that I was hired and ready to start. There was no negotiation with pay. You get what your offered.

Manager Interview

Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – 3 rounds of interviews - HR by phone, hiring manager by phone, hiring manager in person and Director in person. Each round was thirty minutes to an hour. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. I was asked detailed questions around past work experience and knowledge of the job in question. It is a corporate environment so I wore a suit.

Interview Question – Questions were typical of most interviews.   Answer Question

Graphic Intern Interview

Graphic Intern
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online, and got the email informing me about a phone interview on the next day. The interview was nice, but I didn't get the offer because the recruiter thought I don't have the passion in the technical field.

Interview Question – What's your favorite course in school?   Answer Question

Cafe Server Interview

Cafe Server
Manhasset, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Applied through the Barnes and Noble career website. Make sure to put down a lot of available times. At the interview they just asked how you would handle an angry customer, previous experience and availability.

Interview Question – How would you handle an angry customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations. You get a wage based off of your experience.

Barista Interview

Barista
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Interview Details – The job interview process was very fair i walk in there and i was glad the manager was there he said he was short and ask if i had experience as a barista once i said yes he just checked my class schedule and said he would interview a few more people before call me with an offer.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was the names and how to to do every drink in the cafe.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I applied online and few hours later someone called to set up an interview. We had a mini phone interview (why b&n). Set up interview for same day. It was at the cafe in store

Interview Question – what books are you reading atm, what is your fave book, how would you approach a customer etc.- just smile and seem approachable   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. $8

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Interview Details – I had no experience. I applied online, and I received a call within three days asking me to come in for an interview. The caller asked me to dress professionally, and was very specific about what not to wear. The interview itself was very casual and laid-back, and it took place in the employee office. The interviewer was extremely nice and smiling. She made sure you were comfortable and tried to make you relax. She didn't ask me any unexpected questions at all. Some of the things she asked me were why I wanted to work at Barnes & Noble, what my favorite book was, if I was authorized to work, if I was familiar with the store layout, what my availability was, what my parents worked as... then, she asked the store manager to speak to me, and this lady was even nicer than the previous one. Again, she asked me very straightforward questions: if I knew how to gift wrap, if I wanted to pursue higher education, what I wanted a career in, what genre was my favorite, if I was familiar with big-gun authors etc etc. Nothing difficult at all. She then told me that she would stay in touch with me to let me know what my next steps were.

Interview Question – What is your favorite book, favorite genre and why?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, because I wanted the experience more than I wanted the pay. However, the employers seemed very flexible when it came to timings. Not so much when it came to the wage.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Applied online. a few weeks later got a phone call asking if was still interested. Had a short talk with all the standard "why do you want to work here," what book experience do you have" etc. Then a date set for a 30 minute in person interview in a crowded office where people kept coming and going. Pretty standard stuff. Asked if I could deal with being thrown in the deep end with little training. When I said yes, I did not know I would handed to perhaps the crappiest trainer I have ever had who was downright hostile to me (and customers). The two asst managers I dealt with were REALLY good and I immediately respected them.

a simple criminal check, no drug or financial check.

Interview Question – what is your favorite book- (answer does not matter) now sell me that book. Why should I buy it. (which was a pretty good question I thought. A little difficult to keep a straight face when told things about industry I knew were not true, but that's the party line.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They promised to try and get me a small increase as I had so much experience, but then AFTER being hired said they could not as I was only a temp. I got the feeling they only hire temps to see if they work out.

Intern Interview

Intern
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2012.

Interview Details – Interview with Director of Internal Audit

Interview Question – What are your best qualities   Answer Question

Children's Lead Bookseller Interview

Children's Lead Bookseller
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – I was interviewed by a manager. It was an easy interview for a customer service job. It was a long time ago so I don't really remember the specifics. I was asked about my education and my retail work experience background and asked what my favorite book was. That was my experience I'm not really sure what else to add here.

Interview Question – I don't remember there being any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!