Barnes & Noble Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.5

Customer Service Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

Good wasn't so bad wanted to know your personal interest. very nice brief straight to the point. overall it was regular it was one on one had to watch a video and walk around the floor to meet people. It was a good interview.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

Easy, just said why I would be a good fit for the job and how I loved customer service. She asked a couple of questions about work experience, and my passions.

Interview Questions

• What was the last book you read?   1 Answer

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online gave them a link to my resume and got a call about 2 weeks later the interview was 30 mins felt very comfortable once i got hired being my 1st retail job it was a bit shaky getting use to but after some time it became easier. the job now is very boring as a cashier you stand all day at the register and they only let you sit if your old or pregnant

Interview Questions

• was there ever a time you and a co worker had an argument/disagreement how did you handle it   1 Answer

Negotiation

they defiantly work around your schedule

Business Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

first round was with the HR. Second was with the hiring manager. Third was with the heads of a few departments. It was tedious on the last round because you had to meet 4 people in a row. The problem in this bad economy is most are afraid to make a decision.

Interview Questions

• my knowledge of the industry and work ethic   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online, 2 weeks later received phone call to interview for the following day, Interview lasted 45 minutes with 2 different managers on the same day. Asked canned questions they read off a form they need to fill out, asked me a few questions, then asked me to approve for a background check four days later asked for 2 references, Next day received and offer.

Interview Questions

• How would you Sell or membership cards?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non-negociable.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

Asked questions regarding your favorite books, who inspires you, how do you deal with a difficult customer. It's usually a one-on-one process with your interviewer, though I've seen two to three people be interviewed.

NY Corporate Position Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online and surprisingly heard back with a phone screener in a couple of days. The HR person who called me was very friendly and asked if I was interested in the job amd a couple of other basic questions before she sent my resume on to the department to which I was applying. I got the impression that no one reads cover letters after HR, but I could be wrong. A few days later I got an email from another HR person to set up an in person interview. The NYoffice takes up multiple floors of a building near Union Square. It's alright. Some floors are more decorated than others. I Sat down with the HR person, who explained the department and the job, and answered many of my questions. It was very informal. Then she took me up to the department I was interviewing for and I interviewed with multiple people (separately). All very nice. No curveball questions. Pretty relaxed. Though I was surprised in the end when the last interviewer told me I was done, but didn't give me any details about when I'd hear back. I sent follow up emails and didn't hear back until almost a month later, saying they would let me know soon, and then a few weeks later that they hired someone else. I wasn't surprised, but it was rude how long they made me wait. Pretty typical corporate ways of communication, though the individual people are friendly.

Interview Questions

• What are your future plans? What experience do you have pertaining to this position?   1 Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY).

Interview

3 rounds of interviews - HR by phone, hiring manager by phone, hiring manager in person and Director in person. Each round was thirty minutes to an hour. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. I was asked detailed questions around past work experience and knowledge of the job in question. It is a corporate environment so I wore a suit.

Graphic Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online, and got the email informing me about a phone interview on the next day. The interview was nice, but I didn't get the offer because the recruiter thought I don't have the passion in the technical field.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

Quick, easy, fun, everyone was nice and I got along with everyone during the process as well as after I was hired, yada yada yada, I stayed for a very long time until i had to go back to school and still kept in touch and played words with friends with my coworkers. I still talk to them!