Barnes & Noble

Updated Nov 21, 2014

1.8

27 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied for the job online and did not hear back for a few weeks. When I did hear back, it was just an e-mail saying the position had been filled. I do not have retail experience, but I do have work experience and believe I was qualified for the position.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The manager was extremely nice she went off of what was put on my resume and had plenty of follow up question. She allowed time for me to ask questions and give feed back. Was very in depth and honest about the position and was genuine about how everyone was to be treated. She was very serious about work ethic.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any "unexpected" question it was all very straight forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2014.

Applied online and was called the next day for an interview.
     The interview was about 30 minutes and I felt really comfortable. It was a group interview so I was in there with one other girl. It was relatively simple. The interviewer was really chill, and there were two of them...one who wrote the answers

Interview Questions
    • How would you greet a costumer?
      Previous experience?
      What do you do when you make a mistake?

Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

The interview was easy in my opinion. They first start off with a phone interview just getting to know you and then invite you for a face to face interview. It was a 1 on 1 interview and asked simple questions. Basically they ask about your work experience and ask what kind of books are you into and why you decided to apply for the position

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions. They were typical interview questions   Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Applied to pretty much EVERY Barnes and Noble within 50 miles. I called the closest one near me, feeling like I was bugging, I talked to a manager, he said they arent going through apps until next week and will call if they like my app. I recieved a call later that night from a female asking some questions over the phone such as...why do enjoy working in customer service, why did you chose barnes and noble, and then they said they are holding interviews and wanted me to go! I am a huge booklover so I was stoked! Met the lady I was interviewing with, she honestly made the interview so chill and relaxing, we ended up going off topic and talking about random things! She did ask me the standard questions that were on her paper such as if I have ever got into any conflict with a coworker and how did I handle it...have I ever worked during the holidays, what books I read, favorite author. If you are a book lover the answers will come easy to you.

Interview Questions
    • If I have ever had conflict with a coworker and how I handled it?   View Answer
    They didn't even ask, they just said you're hired! I am sure it's minimum wage and read on here there is no negotiating.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2014.

The entire process took a week and half (from application to job offer). I must have applied right when they were sorting through applications as the initial call came in a couple of days after I applied. There were three interviews.

The initial Group Interview was unexpectedly interesting. I was confused by why they would choose to do a group interview with so many people, but it turned out to be almost fun. One manager lead the interview, a second just observed, chiming in as they continued their own work. It was very informative, so even if you didn't move past this round, you could certainly apply to another store more prepared to be an awesome candidate. We were asked to sell our favorite book. I would say being able to talk confidently about it is more important than what book you choose.

I received a call for a second, private interview later that afternoon. Of the near dozen candidates, I am not sure how many others moved on. At least one, because I saw her when I went in for my second interview two days later. At the group interview, we were all given some brochures to read about their latest Nook and the Memberships they sell. We were told to be prepared to sell one or both of them should we get a private interview. The manager asked some standard questions, "How do you deal with stress? Angry customers? Why B&N? Explain your last job/experience" (I hadn't worked retail in years, so I appreciated being asked about how my current skills relate). I was not asked to sell a product. Between my answers and the questions I asked, we probably just ran out of time. I was told a little more about what to expect from the store before she mentioned that there would be another interview if I make it past this round. I was surprised by how thoroughly they vet each new hire.

I received a call for the third and final interview later that afternoon. I was told to definitely have my sales pitch for the products ready. I met with the store manager five days after my second interview. This was the quickest of all the interviews, lasting no more than fifteen minutes. Similar questions as the last interview came up. In addition, I had to sell a product. I was offered the job on the spot. After accepting, I was told a little more about the store then lead out.

All of the managers I interviewed with were very nice and seemed to have fun at work. I even chatted with employees each time I went, so I had an idea that this would be a good working environment.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me your favorite book/Nook/membership. Sales pitches throw me off in general, as I haven't had to deal with them in a long time. Everything else they asked seemed pretty standard and relevant.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. This is a minimum wage job, so I wasn't expecting more than that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Citrus Heights, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Citrus Heights, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2014.

I sent in an electronic application with my resume. I have no prior work experience, but some volunteer work. A week and a half later, I received a call from one of the managers who gave me a quick interview. He just asked if I was okay with minimum wage and 16-20 hours a week. We set up an interview in two days. I arrived and he was a bit late coming back from lunch, but was very apologetic about it. The interview was very short, and he said he would call about a second interview if he was interested. Four days later, he called and said a second interview wasn't necessary and that I was hired!

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Applied online, and was contacted by the hiring manager about a week later. After a brief phone screening in which I proved I was interested in books and was not an idiot, I was asked for an in-store interview. Atmosphere was very relaxed, and everyone was very nice. A few days later, I was asked to fill out information for a background check, and a couple days after that I got the job.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Was told the rate for the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

I applied in-person – interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Very relaxed. Easy interview with one of the managers. Easy questions, no trick questions to trip you up. I came into the interview wearing a nice top and jeans and still was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    There was no phase. I was offered their typical starting pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2014.

There was no phone interview, I was just asked to come in. I had two interviews, one was for the wrong position. They said they would call me, but never got back to me. Edit: They called me after a week to checkup, they were having problems internally with the BG check.

Interview Questions
    • Try to think of a time, and give me an example, of when you were multitasking.   View Answers (2)