Barnes & Noble

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straight forward. The questions asked were standard for retail.

Interview Question – Name a time where you had an issue with somebody and resolved it.   Answer Question

Seattle, WA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2010.

Interview Details – Had one on one interview and filled out standard application. Was offered the job at the end of the interview. Very casual and actually enjoyable interview, since I did not NEED the job, but I wanted it...I was looking for something to do with my spare time

Interview Question – How do you handle a difficult customer? What do you do when a customer said "no" to the membership offer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – N/A

Columbia, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call about a week later to schedule an interview for the following week. Went in for the interview which was one-on-one in the cafe area. It was very casual as there were people going about their daily lives as I was being given an interview. The manger that interviewed me was very nice and loved the fact that I knew about many mainstream books and authors. The questions were very basic interview questions. I've never had a retail job before so he asked me what I would do if I were a customer in the situations. After the interview he seemed very interested in me and told me that he would have to call and check my references and run a background check. The entire process took about two weeks which I thought was a bit lengthy. However, it was very simple.

Interview Question – How did you resolve the last disagreement you had with a co-worker or friend?
If you were a customer here and had a complaint, how would you go about resolving the issue?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase. Part time and minimum wage.

Part Time Book Seller

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted an online application one day and received a call to schedule an interview the next. The interview was in the cafe, very laid-back, basic questions, nothing difficult. They explained employee discounts and training. In order to proceed they said that they would have to check my references and that I would have to agree to a background check, which I did.

Interview Question – Nothing really out there. How would you handle a rude customer, have you ever had to learn something quickly, etc.   Answer Question

Baltimore, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2009.

Interview Details – Fairly easy interview. You go in and talk about your relevant experience to the job opening and they ask if you have any experience in sales. They then tell you what the job entails and asks if you can do it. After that interview another person comes in and asks questions about your personality such as: How do you handle this type of situation or what if this were to happen?

Interview Question – I really didn't feel that any questions were that difficult, but when I got hired the employees seemed kinda stuck up book snobs. It takes a bit to feel comfortable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were pretty direct about salary, no wiggle room.

Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2009.

Interview Details – Went through the channels of walking into the store, asking for an application. I filled out said application with my information. Typical application information such as name, address, previous employers, references, drug history.

Interview Question – What's your favorite book?   View Answer

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in February 2010.

Interview Details – I got four interviews.

Interview Question – how do you deal with a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – ittook 3 months to get me because they had a freeze for hiring new people.

Manchester, NH

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in July 2009.

Interview Details – From working there, it is very hard to make yourself stand out among the stacks and stacks of applicants. It is best to form a relationship with the store people (being a regular, etc).
Interview was pretty straightforward- they mostly just want a dedicated worker that is passionate about literature and can provide good customer service.

Interview Question – Have you ever done a special favor for a customer that was outside store policy? Why did you make this exception?   View Answer

Evansville, IN

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – The applications are paper and can be obtained by asking any bookseller or manager in the stores or printed offline. I asked for a manager when turning in my application and he asked if I could come in for an interview the next day after looking at my availability. Availability is very key for these positions as well as the willingness to work all weekends, Sundays especially, and holidays. After the initial interview with the hiring manager, I met with the store manager for a quick conversation about my previous experience and work history. I was hired and trained starting in about 3 days. It also helps if you know someone that also works in that location.

Interview Question – What was the last book you read? What is your favorite book and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate because the pay was better than my previous job and the salary seemed fair. There is not a lot of wiggle room on salary offerings.

Skokie, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2012.

Interview Details – It was a job fair for seasonal workers that was going from 9am-8pm. There were already at least 20 mature interviewees (no youngsters) at 9:00am, which I thought was a sad commentary on the state of unemployment. Mature people so desperate for a job that they would accept a part-time minimum wage job. I estimated that over the course of the day there would be at least 200 interviewees, and didn't expect a call back because my last retail job was many, many years ago.
They also called all my references before making an offer.

Interview Question – How would you make your co-workers feel welcome on your first day?
(I thought this was the most ridiculous question because it was backwards. THEY should make newcomers feel welcome on their first day.)
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The hourly rate is what you are told - - take it or leave it.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Barnes & Noble

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes & Noble Part Time Book Seller interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Barnes & Noble employees and interview candidates.