Barnes & Noble Part Time Book Seller Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014

1.6

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2014.

Applied online, and was contacted by the hiring manager about a week later. After a brief phone screening in which I proved I was interested in books and was not an idiot, I was asked for an in-store interview. Atmosphere was very relaxed, and everyone was very nice. A few days later, I was asked to fill out information for a background check, and a couple days after that I got the job.

Interview Questions
No negotiation. Was told the rate for the position.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Citrus Heights, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Citrus Heights, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2014.

I sent in an electronic application with my resume. I have no prior work experience, but some volunteer work. A week and a half later, I received a call from one of the managers who gave me a quick interview. He just asked if I was okay with minimum wage and 16-20 hours a week. We set up an interview in two days. I arrived and he was a bit late coming back from lunch, but was very apologetic about it. The interview was very short, and he said he would call about a second interview if he was interested. Four days later, he called and said a second interview wasn't necessary and that I was hired!

Part Time Book Seller Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2013.

I was called in about three weeks after applying online and interviewed with a manager, about a day later i got the offer. The manager wanted to know if i was willing to be trained in multiple areas of the store and ask about how many hours i would want to work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

I applied in-person - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Very relaxed. Easy interview with one of the managers. Easy questions, no trick questions to trip you up. I came into the interview wearing a nice top and jeans and still was offered the position.

Interview Questions
    There was no phase. I was offered their typical starting pay.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Antioch, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Antioch, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2014.

There was no phone interview, I was just asked to come in. I had two interviews, one was for the wrong position. They said they would call me, but never got back to me. Edit: They called me after a week to checkup, they were having problems internally with the BG check.

Interview Questions
    • Try to think of a time, and give me an example, of when you were multitasking.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

I applied online in August, then waited. In mid-september I received a phone interview. I was then called a week later to schedule a real interview. After this, I was asked to wait for a follow-up call and final interview if I was selected. (I was not, as another person who could work more hours was excepted.)

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Honolulu, HI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2013.

I Applied, they called, I interviewed and got the job. It was pretty straight forward. I can't really comment because I knew the manager and so it was kind of easy for me to get the job

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2011.

The interview process was very straight forward. The questions asked were standard for retail.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you had an issue with somebody and resolved it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Columbia, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2013.

Applied online and received a call about a week later to schedule an interview for the following week. Went in for the interview which was one-on-one in the cafe area. It was very casual as there were people going about their daily lives as I was being given an interview. The manger that interviewed me was very nice and loved the fact that I knew about many mainstream books and authors. The questions were very basic interview questions. I've never had a retail job before so he asked me what I would do if I were a customer in the situations. After the interview he seemed very interested in me and told me that he would have to call and check my references and run a background check. The entire process took about two weeks which I thought was a bit lengthy. However, it was very simple.

Interview Questions
    • How did you resolve the last disagreement you had with a co-worker or friend?
      If you were a customer here and had a complaint, how would you go about resolving the issue?
        View Answer
    No negotiation phase. Part time and minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2010.

Had one on one interview and filled out standard application. Was offered the job at the end of the interview. Very casual and actually enjoyable interview, since I did not NEED the job, but I wanted it...I was looking for something to do with my spare time

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a difficult customer? What do you do when a customer said "no" to the membership offer?   View Answer
    N/A

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!