Barnes & Noble Part Time Book Seller Interview Questions

Updated Jun 12, 2015

1.9

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

Applied online. They called me the next day for an interview the day after that. The interviewer went through a list of pre-made questions on a paper. The usual stuff, like why do you want to work there, how did you deal with unhappy customers in your previous job. They told me they would call the next day either way, never did.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (White Plains, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

The guy was pretty cool and welcoming. Was very open and actually seem interested in what you had to say. Laid back and held it in the middle of the cafe so it was a tad bit distracting. Asked a lot of questions but the interview itself went through relatively fast.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Honolulu, HI) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online through a listing I found on Indeed, and they contacted me approximately two weeks later to schedule an interview. I went in for the interview, and it was very casual. The first interview was about 10-15 minutes, and we mostly talked about my resume and former experience. Normally, they informed me that it takes about one to two weeks to get back to the applicant after the first interview if you've passed the first round of interviews, but they performed a second interview for me immediately. I was told that, as long as I pass a background test, I will be getting the job. I think that, normally, the entire process takes about a month, but I was very fortunate.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite book?   1 Answer
    • When was a time you had to deal with a difficult customer, and how did you deal with them?   1 Answer
    • Do you have any questions for us?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. They let me know what the salary is.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I applied online and was called by the store manager within a few days. He set up an interview for later in the week. I first met with one of the managers and talked to him for a while about my work and school experience. He asked me all the questions that they have to ask--what would you do in this situation, what did you do when you had an upset customer, etc. I then met with the store manager and talked about specifics--my availability, wage, etc. Both asked questions specific to a bookstore, such as what my favorite book was, if I knew how the store was organized, and if I would feel comfortable working in different areas of the store as well as cleaning the rest rooms if they needed cleaning during my shift. I haven't heard back yet, so I don't know if I will be receiving an offer or not.

Interview Questions

• What book are you reading right now?
      What motivates you?
      Describe a situation in which you had to change your course of action to provide better results.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Honolulu, HI) in April 2015.

Interview

I was only in the interview for 10 minutes, which took place in the manager's office. He went over my application and asked about my experience (if I've ever worked in retail before) and availability. He only asked three or four questions, but not what's your favorite book or how would you increase sales. It was a really quick interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to learn something quickly   Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview

I was initially hired as a Seasonal Hire, but was retained as a part time employee. The interview was, surprisingly, stereotypically straightforward. The questions included:

1. Why do you want to work at a bookstore?
    2. What do you imagine working at a Bookstore to be like? ( The correct answer is not just recommending books, but stocking books, organizing displays, sales, etc.)
    3. How would you handle a disagreement with a coworker or a manager?

Interview Questions

• Customers often come up wanting help finding a book they do not know the title of and that they heard about somewhere. How would you help them?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no real salary negotiation. Salary didn't come up during the interview.

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Interview

I applied for the job online and did not hear back for a few weeks. When I did hear back, it was just an e-mail saying the position had been filled. I do not have retail experience, but I do have work experience and believe I was qualified for the position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Little Rock, AR

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Little Rock, AR).

Interview

The manager was extremely nice she went off of what was put on my resume and had plenty of follow up question. She allowed time for me to ask questions and give feed back. Was very in depth and honest about the position and was genuine about how everyone was to be treated. She was very serious about work ethic.

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any "unexpected" question it was all very straight forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Barnes & Noble (Jacksonville, FL) in November 2014.

Interview

Applied online and was called the next day for an interview.
     The interview was about 30 minutes and I felt really comfortable. It was a group interview so I was in there with one other girl. It was relatively simple. The interviewer was really chill, and there were two of them...one who wrote the answers

Interview Questions

• How would you greet a costumer?
      Previous experience?
      What do you do when you make a mistake?

Answer Question

Part Time Book Seller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2014.

Interview

The initial interview was very relaxed, taking place in the B&N Starbucks Café. It was the manager that interviewed me and I was asked very general questions about what I would do in certain situations and how I would deal with customers. The position I applied for was a seasonal job, so I strongly believe that scheduling hours around my class times was the key reason I was not offered the job.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to make a difficult decision and what you learned from that decision?   Answer Question