Barnes & Noble

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Part Time Book Seller

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2013.

Interview Details – I was called in about three weeks after applying online and interviewed with a manager, about a day later i got the offer. The manager wanted to know if i was willing to be trained in multiple areas of the store and ask about how many hours i would want to work.

Interview Question – all pretty standard   Answer Question

Wilmington, DE

I applied in-person and interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Very relaxed. Easy interview with one of the managers. Easy questions, no trick questions to trip you up. I came into the interview wearing a nice top and jeans and still was offered the position.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work at a bookstore?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no phase. I was offered their typical starting pay.

Antioch, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in May 2014.

Interview Details – There was no phone interview, I was just asked to come in. I had two interviews, one was for the wrong position. They said they would call me, but never got back to me. Edit: They called me after a week to checkup, they were having problems internally with the BG check.

Interview Question – Try to think of a time, and give me an example, of when you were multitasking.   View Answers (2)

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Louisville, KY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online in August, then waited. In mid-september I received a phone interview. I was then called a week later to schedule a real interview. After this, I was asked to wait for a follow-up call and final interview if I was selected. (I was not, as another person who could work more hours was excepted.)

Interview Question – Not anything out of the ordinary!   Answer Question

Honolulu, HI

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2013.

Interview Details – I Applied, they called, I interviewed and got the job. It was pretty straight forward. I can't really comment because I knew the manager and so it was kind of easy for me to get the job

Interview Question – How is your previous experience relevant to the job   Answer Question

San Jose, CA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very straight forward. The questions asked were standard for retail.

Interview Question – Name a time where you had an issue with somebody and resolved it.   Answer Question

Columbia, MO

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call about a week later to schedule an interview for the following week. Went in for the interview which was one-on-one in the cafe area. It was very casual as there were people going about their daily lives as I was being given an interview. The manger that interviewed me was very nice and loved the fact that I knew about many mainstream books and authors. The questions were very basic interview questions. I've never had a retail job before so he asked me what I would do if I were a customer in the situations. After the interview he seemed very interested in me and told me that he would have to call and check my references and run a background check. The entire process took about two weeks which I thought was a bit lengthy. However, it was very simple.

Interview Question – How did you resolve the last disagreement you had with a co-worker or friend?
If you were a customer here and had a complaint, how would you go about resolving the issue?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase. Part time and minimum wage.

Seattle, WA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in October 2010.

Interview Details – Had one on one interview and filled out standard application. Was offered the job at the end of the interview. Very casual and actually enjoyable interview, since I did not NEED the job, but I wanted it...I was looking for something to do with my spare time

Interview Question – How do you handle a difficult customer? What do you do when a customer said "no" to the membership offer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – N/A

Part Time Book Seller

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted an online application one day and received a call to schedule an interview the next. The interview was in the cafe, very laid-back, basic questions, nothing difficult. They explained employee discounts and training. In order to proceed they said that they would have to check my references and that I would have to agree to a background check, which I did.

Interview Question – Nothing really out there. How would you handle a rude customer, have you ever had to learn something quickly, etc.   Answer Question

Baltimore, MD

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2009.

Interview Details – Fairly easy interview. You go in and talk about your relevant experience to the job opening and they ask if you have any experience in sales. They then tell you what the job entails and asks if you can do it. After that interview another person comes in and asks questions about your personality such as: How do you handle this type of situation or what if this were to happen?

Interview Question – I really didn't feel that any questions were that difficult, but when I got hired the employees seemed kinda stuck up book snobs. It takes a bit to feel comfortable.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They were pretty direct about salary, no wiggle room.

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!