Barnes & Noble

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Durham, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – Initial communication was by phone to set up interview. First interview was with Assistant Manager and then a follow up interview with the Store Manager. The process was all one-on-one and took place within the store. Total process took about two weeks.

Interview Question – I was asked about a previous job experience that had nothing to do with the position and then how to relate it to what I was applying for.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble.

Interview Details – APply online and then got interview...Once interview they will let you know.

Interview Question – How do you handle a crazy customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – there was none

Pikesville, MD

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2012.

Interview Details – Gave my application to the manager and he told me to come back the following Monday for a group interview. Nothing very hard and very basic questions, they just weren't hiring at the time.

Interview Question – What's the biggest thing you've ever had to sell?   Answer Question

East Brunswick, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2008.

Interview Details – I contacted barnes, filled out an application, recieved call for interview and interviewed. The process was fairly straightforward, albeit lengthy considering the position. I don't now what else to say really. The interviewee was a manager... She was younger than me... I was in a suit, she was in a t-shirt.

Interview Question – The questions were all pretty straightforward. What sort of books one liked etc.   Answer Question

Vero Beach, FL

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in March 2011.

Interview Details – Probably the strangest interview that I have ever been on. The interview took place in the employee lunch room. As I sat in the corner, with about one minute's worth of reading material about the company, provided by the interviewer, she the the first 15 minutes of my interview disciplining another one of her employees for coming in to work late.

When the interviewer finally returned to me, the interview process went pretty smoothly, until she answered her cell phone in the middle of it. She didn't excuse herself, or silence it, but just answered her phone, while putting her finger up, gesturing for me to wait until her conversation was over. When she was done, she forgot where we were in the interview, and asked me to start over. From that point on, it was a normal interview.

Interview Questions

• After reading the information that I've provided you with, how do you see yourself contributing to the Barnes & Noble family?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you've had to resolve a conflict between to coworkers.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – In the end, I declined the offer due to the inflexibility of the manager when it came to my course load.

Richmond, VA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2011.

Interview Details – they begin with a phone interview and then if you pass, they will ask you to come in for a 1:1 interview. they asked questions about how you have handled different types of situations at your previous jobs and also asked about how you would handle different situations in the future at the company if you get hired.

Interview Question – Describe a situation at work when you disagreed with your boss. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Norfolk, VA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in November 2010.

Interview Details – I asked about seasonal hirings in October and an employee gave me an application and told me to bring it in in November. I brought it to the customer service desk on November 3rd and fille out a small piece of paper asking if I was available for seasonal and night/weekend work and what type of environment I enjoy working in. I got called for an interview on November 10th and it was scheduled for November 11th. The interviewer was very nice, but obviously did not enjoy giving interviews. She asked a few questions from a form like "Why do you want to work here?", "Do you enjoy reading?", "Describe a time when a customer had unreasonable requests.", "Describe a time when you gave outstanding customer service", and asked about my availability. She seemed to think the questions were silly and even skipped the last one because she thought it was an annoying question (I don't know what it was). I thought we got along well and she seemed to like me. She told me they were trying to get at least one occupational reference for everyone, so not to be discouraged if I didn't hear back for a while because it may take some time to reach the references. Two of my co-worker references spoke with her over the phone on the mornings of November 15th and 16th. Two hours after speaking with my second co-worker reference on November 16th I got a call from a different woman offering me a seasonal position from November 18th to February 4th, beginning with two days of orientation and training. She seemed as nice as my interviewer so I'm looking forward to beginning training. The lower level employees I turned in my application to, however, were not friendly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. The position is a take-it-or-leave-it $7.25/hour position.

Richmond, VA

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in June 2008.

Interview Details – it was basic retail interview. Plus I had worked at the other bookstore before B&N took over so I had the job.

Interview Question – Like I said before I was a transfer from the other store so there was no question.   Answer Question

Irving, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2007.

Interview Details – Interview once for 15 minutes...Just asked general questions about myself.

Interview Question – What can you bring to the table?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2011.

Interview Details – I went in to fill out an application and I happened to ask a manager for one. They were really friendly and helpful, and I ended getting an interview on the spot. Interviewer was polite, friendly, and personable, and asked great relevant questions. Great interview experience.

Interview Question – what is a recent book you have read and how would you describe it to someone else if you were going to recommend it?   Answer Question

Worked for Barnes & Noble? Contribute to the Community!