Barnes & Noble Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 20, 2015

2.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Norfolk, VA) in November 2010.

Interview

I asked about seasonal hirings in October and an employee gave me an application and told me to bring it in in November. I brought it to the customer service desk on November 3rd and fille out a small piece of paper asking if I was available for seasonal and night/weekend work and what type of environment I enjoy working in. I got called for an interview on November 10th and it was scheduled for November 11th. The interviewer was very nice, but obviously did not enjoy giving interviews. She asked a few questions from a form like "Why do you want to work here?", "Do you enjoy reading?", "Describe a time when a customer had unreasonable requests.", "Describe a time when you gave outstanding customer service", and asked about my availability. She seemed to think the questions were silly and even skipped the last one because she thought it was an annoying question (I don't know what it was). I thought we got along well and she seemed to like me. She told me they were trying to get at least one occupational reference for everyone, so not to be discouraged if I didn't hear back for a while because it may take some time to reach the references. Two of my co-worker references spoke with her over the phone on the mornings of November 15th and 16th. Two hours after speaking with my second co-worker reference on November 16th I got a call from a different woman offering me a seasonal position from November 18th to February 4th, beginning with two days of orientation and training. She seemed as nice as my interviewer so I'm looking forward to beginning training. The lower level employees I turned in my application to, however, were not friendly.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. The position is a take-it-or-leave-it $7.25/hour position.

Other Interview Reviews for Barnes & Noble

Anonymous Employee in East Brunswick, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (East Brunswick, NJ) in June 2008.

Interview

I contacted barnes, filled out an application, recieved call for interview and interviewed. The process was fairly straightforward, albeit lengthy considering the position. I don't now what else to say really. The interviewee was a manager... She was younger than me... I was in a suit, she was in a t-shirt.

Interview Questions

• The questions were all pretty straightforward. What sort of books one liked etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Richmond, VA) in June 2008.

Interview

it was basic retail interview. Plus I had worked at the other bookstore before B&N took over so I had the job.

Interview Questions

• Like I said before I was a transfer from the other store so there was no question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble (Irving, TX) in January 2007.

Interview

Interview once for 15 minutes...Just asked general questions about myself.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in August 2011.

Interview

I went in to fill out an application and I happened to ask a manager for one. They were really friendly and helpful, and I ended getting an interview on the spot. Interviewer was polite, friendly, and personable, and asked great relevant questions. Great interview experience.

Interview Questions

• what is a recent book you have read and how would you describe it to someone else if you were going to recommend it?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2010.

Interview

The hiring process was great for this company. The interviewers were really nice

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in December 2009.

Interview

To my knowledge Barnes and Noble is one of few retailers that use paper applications. After filling out one, I handed it off to an employee and was contacted that same day for an interview. I went through two separate interviews. The first one consisted of a store manager and associate asking me pretty basic questions. I was asked why barnes and noble, previous experience and how do I work in certain situations. A specific question was give an example of a time you were given a task that you were unable to complete, how did you handle it? The second interview was with the head manager and consisted of the same type of questions. It was a very laid back process.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a project deadline you could not meet and how did you resolve the conflict?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in January 2009.

Interview

I interviewed with one of the Assistant Manager of the store. It was a formal interview done in her office. She asked me to introduce myself and tell her why I wanted to work at this specific store. I explain to her that the main reason was the proximite. As a student at the university, I was able to work in the campus bookstore part time while going to school.

Interview Questions

• Give me a situation where you handle a angry customer and how was the outcome?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Barnes & Noble in September 2008.

Interview

Was walking through the store and needed a job. The store seemed well kept, so I figured I would apply to supplement the college income. Turned out they were looking for sales positions. I submitted an application to the manager...she reviewed it on the spot and asked if I was willing to interview immediately. I felt I had nothing to lose so I did. About a week went by past the date that I was told I would be informed of the outcome and had not yet been informed so I called and was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Give me three of your strengths and three of your weaknesses.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you failed? How did you resolve this?   Answer Question