Barneys

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Barneys in February 2015.

Applied online. Received a call two days later asking when I would be able to come in for an interview. Came to the interview the office was very nice. Interviewed with 2 HR managers. Very nice. Said they would show my resume to the department mangers and I would hear back in a week

Store Design Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Barneys.

HR emailed me to ask me for an interview, Interviewed in person at the corporate offices. Was called back 2 days to notify me that I was awarded the position.

Interview Questions
    • None, just asked about my student status and computer programs that I could use.   View Answer

In Store Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Barneys in October 2014.

I was called in for an interview and went checked in with receptionist HR asked if i could fill out application and if i had resume with three references. I replied yes she said fill it out place resume and references in the application booklet and bring back when I'm finished and wait to be called. I waited shortly and meet with recruitment Coordinator she was very friendly, warm and engaging. She asked me a lot questions and ask me to walk me through my professional history. The interview lasted for a lil while and at the end she thanked me for coming in and gave me her card. She said that she would share my application with different department managers and see what they say. She said i wpuld hear back in a week. I waited and got a phone call to come in to a second interview with department manager. The department manager was warm friendly and engaging asked me a lot of questions about my skills and professional experience. Then thanked me for coming in and said i should hear a decision within a week onc e my references check out. It took a little while because they had difficulty getting a hold of one of my references but i provided another reference waited another week. Then finally got the call that they loved me at the interview and thought i would be a good fit for the company. So she said the job is mine if i wanted it and offer me a different position as an Expeditor that is full-time position with benefits even hough I applied for a In store Teller position all in all i was happy

Interview Questions
    • How did you're experiences differ at each job you worked at and what skills would you bring to this postion?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online – interviewed at Barneys in October 2014.

Was invited by email for an interview. However, the human ressources coordinator for so unhelpful. Right after the interview I followed up with thank you note then few weeks later I followed up expressing my interest for the job. I would never come to Barneys anymore for interviews, its a waste of time.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barneys in September 2014.

I applied online and got a call back inviting me for an interview the following week. I got there about 15 minutes prior to my interview and was asked to fill out a paper application. I had an interview with the HR manager, she was very sweet and friendly. She asked me regular thing you would expect your interviewer to ask you.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had a bad customer service experience.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barneys.

Be prepared to answer question by giving specific details. Focus on areas of responsibility and how your skills will benefit the long term strategies of the company. Great fashion sense is a must. This role holds a lot of responsibility since mgt teams are smaller. You must be a well rounded and global thinker. Be prepared to answer specific HR questions.

Interview Questions
    • For me the questions were not difficult due to having a strong background in all areas. Questions in regards to coaching are going to be the center of the conversation.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Barneys.

Full disclosure: I had a connection with a VP so my process may not have been the same as everyone else's. I had one interview after contacting the head of the internship program with a resume and cover letter. My interviewer was friendly and engaging--very professional and politically correct. I received an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Should I dress fashionably for an interview?   View Answer
    I did not feel that I was in a place to negotiate for an internship.

Clerical Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Barneys in April 2014.

Interview with HR and then interview with department manager.

The pay was terrible!

Sales Associate Interview

Took a day. Submitted resume, got call back, got job.

Some negotiating.

Shipping Receiving Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Barneys.

Got a phone call to schedule an in-person interview a few days from then. Arrived at interview location, checked in and waited. Very busy reception area and people playing on their cell phones.
    First interview was with HR Manager then since I 'passed' that one they asked if I would be willing to meet and talk with the Shipping Dept Manager. I agreed, obviously.
    The interview was very basic, seriously, just google 'top 20 job interview questions' and those are it.

Approx a week later I got a phone call with a job offer, after I accepted I got 2 emails that explained where to meet and park (this was important as the store itself had yet to be built)

Interview Questions
    • Nothing truly caught me off guard, it was the standard battery of questions.
      Describe your strengths/weaknesses
      Have you ever resolved a problem with a Supervisor.

Answer Question
    No negotiation, pay was posted on job announcement so it was all very straightforward.