Barneys Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014
25 interviews

2.3

Assistant Store Manager Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at Barneys.

Be prepared to answer question by giving specific details. Focus on areas of responsibility and how your skills will benefit the long term strategies of the company. Great fashion sense is a must. This role holds a lot of responsibility since mgt teams are smaller. You must be a well rounded and global thinker. Be prepared to answer specific HR questions.

Interview Questions
    • For me the questions were not difficult due to having a strong background in all areas. Questions in regards to coaching are going to be the center of the conversation.   Answer Question

Recruitment andCoordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Barneys in December 2013.

Honestly I expected a higher level of professionalism from the HR dept. at Barneys and did not receive it. I was initially contacted, phone screened interview with both 2 member of the Talent and acquisition dept. After each interview I sent thank you e-mails, as well as follow up e-mails. They dragged out the interview process close to 2 months. After e-mailing them, they stated I was still being considered and would be in contact. After another 2 weeks I reach out and that's when they stated they had decided to go with someone else. I don't know why a company like Barneys feels its fine to drag a candidate along for close to two months, if you are not hiring, or feel you want someone who fits "your look" then simply say so. The whole interview process left a dirty taste in my mouth for Barneys. It seems they were looking for a reason to disqualify me but couldn't find one. Just bad manners overall in terms of communication.

Interview Questions
    • None, during the 2nd interview I asked more questions than the interviewer did of me.   Answer Question

Clerical Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Barneys in April 2014.

Interview with HR and then interview with department manager.

The pay was terrible!

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Barneys in May 2013.

Tried for a sales associate position, and despite having actual sales experience, was more or less told that I wasn't "on par" with their "level of clientele." Absolutely inflexible HR that leaves a horrendous, awkward taste in one's mouth after interview. Apparently I don't have the "Barneys" touch, but I'm alright with it, given its recent notoriety in NY with customer declination; I won't expound further.

Interview Questions
    • What to do when dealing with multiple celebrity clients, simultaneously?   View Answers (2)

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Barneys.

Full disclosure: I had a connection with a VP so my process may not have been the same as everyone else's. I had one interview after contacting the head of the internship program with a resume and cover letter. My interviewer was friendly and engaging--very professional and politically correct. I received an offer about a week later.

Interview Questions
    • Should I dress fashionably for an interview?   View Answer
    I did not feel that I was in a place to negotiate for an internship.

Sales Associate Interview

Took a day. Submitted resume, got call back, got job.

Some negotiating.

Shipping Receiving Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barneys.

Got a phone call to schedule an in-person interview a few days from then. Arrived at interview location, checked in and waited. Very busy reception area and people playing on their cell phones.
    First interview was with HR Manager then since I 'passed' that one they asked if I would be willing to meet and talk with the Shipping Dept Manager. I agreed, obviously.
    The interview was very basic, seriously, just google 'top 20 job interview questions' and those are it.

Approx a week later I got a phone call with a job offer, after I accepted I got 2 emails that explained where to meet and park (this was important as the store itself had yet to be built)

Interview Questions
    • Nothing truly caught me off guard, it was the standard battery of questions.
      Describe your strengths/weaknesses
      Have you ever resolved a problem with a Supervisor.
        Answer Question
    No negotiation, pay was posted on job announcement so it was all very straightforward.

Anonymous Employee  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I interviewed online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at Barneys.

I met with the interviewer at the store location and was taken to the back office to fill out a company application that was 3-4 pages, with information that basically echoed my resume information. I brought along a copy of my resume, which was appreciated. I was asked to describe the work I did at my last company. The interviewer asked well thought out follow up questions, and seemed friendly and interested in my answers.

Interview Questions
    • Since my experience was more extensive than what was required for the job, I was asked how I would feel about the more simplified job I would do with this company.   View Answer

Loss Prevention Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 6 days - interviewed at Barneys in February 2009.

It was extensive, i was asked about my previous security experience and told them about it, the interview went very well.

no i wasn't

Finance Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Barneys in December 2013.

I applied through their website, heard back from them two weeks later (someone called me to set up a date and time for an interview). I met with the head recruiter: she was really nice, interview was very informal and very quick, she just wanted to get a sense of who I was and what I wanted to do.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, the interview asked me to walk her through my resume, what area I was interested in, and she also asked about my technical skills (Excel, etc.)   Answer Question

Worked for Barneys? Contribute to the Community!