Barracuda Networks Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Barracuda Networks (Ann Arbor, MI) in February 2015.

Interview

Recruiter was prompt. Was scheduled for for a brief phone conversation the next week. Went over work history, interests, and some general software and Linux questions.

Was brought in two weeks later for onsite interview. Place is in the heart of Ann Arbor, lots to do. Went over work experience, lots of Linux questions "What command would you use to do this task?" type questions. For the most part I easily answered them, but I had a decent amount of Linux experience.

Next part of the interview was done on whiteboard. They assigned two questions. One practical problem solving, the other pure problem solving (theory). I will not disclose them in respect. The first one was easy, the second was challenging but not too bad. The interviewers will help you through them if you need it. You get to choose your language, or you can use pseudocode.

Overall I felt the interview went well. Ultimately I had other interviews in process and let the recruiter know that. They simply took too long to make a decision, so I politely notified the company I would not be moving forward since I have accepted another offer from a different company geared more towards a management position, which is what I ultimately wanted (the company said there was little movement in this regard).

Interview Questions

• How would you read data from this file and print out results?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Barracuda Networks

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Barracuda Networks (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

I had a short phone interview with HR as the first step. Once I passed that they set up an interview in their ann arbor, mi office. Interview was about 1 hour long. There were 2 interviewers that asked me personality and work experience questions. One of the interviewers stepped out and the other asked me technical questions in mySQL and perl. Gave me an interview question that was to design a sql database for a scenario and create methods in perl to connect to the database and return specific query data. Databases were a little complex, similar to higher level text book scenarios. Interview overall went pretty well. I wrote thank you emails the next day. I didn't hear back right away and emailed a few days later. I got a response back from one of the interviewers stating that they choose another candidate. The HR ended up responding back a few weeks later and wanted to schedule another interview because the position opened again. I already had a job at that point so I didn't follow up again.

Interview Questions

• The sql questions went over all of the different joins (inner, left, right, full) asking which one to use in provided examples. Creating tables with multiple primary keys and other advanced sql.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Campbell, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Barracuda Networks (Campbell, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

I was recommended by a friend. A small coding challenge led to an hour long interview. It was with my would be boss, a would-be coworker, the VP of engineering, and another engineer. It wasn't too technically difficult.

Interview Questions

• If I recall correctly, it was to fix a broken sorting algorithm.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Barracuda Networks (Atlanta, GA) in March 2011.

Interview

So I know a guy that works there an he told me the engr manager in Atlanta was full of himself and had a big ego. But I thought I would still give it a try. The first phone screen was followed up by a phone interview, same day. Basic software questions C++, Python, SQL. But after that everything took 2 or more weeks to more forward plus it was always me who had to push them to doing anything. Next was VP phone interview then 3 weeks later for in office interview. Good cross section of questions from process ctrl to OOP followed by some SQL. Ending with the QA manager who asked QA type questions. Next wait 2 more weeks, then I ask for some feedback but was told they are still thinking it over. They're too slow. Total time over 6 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Describe a python class, followed by some general OO stuff.   1 Answer
    • Describe a thread pool and how a state machine operates .   1 Answer

They took to long to make up their minds so I made it for them.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Barracuda Networks in April 2012.

Interview

Entire process was very quick and painless. I sent in my resume and heard back the same day. They scheduled a phone interview for the following week.

The phone interview lasted around 1 hour and involved coding on a shared online whiteboard. Nice group of questions revolving around system-level programming and general CS theory. After the questions, the interviewer asked me if I would fly out to Campbell for an onsite interview.

The onsite interview lasted around 4 hours plus a 1 hour lunch. There were 4 separate interviews (3 with engineering directors, 1 with VP). Two of the interviewers took me out for lunch. Another nice group of questions involving system-level programming, network theory/programming, and general CS theory. They made me an offer before I left.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiation was also painless. Ask for what you want, but be realistic.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Barracuda Networks in November 2011.

Interview

Recruiters are very poorly coordinated and give misinformation (I was told an interview would be an hour and it ended up being 3 hours). Met with VP who presented their products and technologies, group interview with two engineers. Two more phone interviews a week later with two team leaders.

Low salary, minimal benefits, no equity, no relocation.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Barracuda Networks in November 2009.

Interview

I applied to the company during career fair in the university campus. They contacted me a month later. They asked questions ranging from sorting to network theory. They also test knowledge of makefiles, dynamic programming, OS fundamentals. They also tested knowledge of statistics. There were total of 4 people, and afterward, vice manager came and told me how the company operates and why I should work for them. They told me that they will inform me about the result at most a week later. But they did not inform me about the result. They did not event send a mail stating that I am rejected. It has been 5 months.

Interview Questions

• Draw a 45 degree rotated square on command screen in C.   Answer Question