Barrick Gold

Barrick Gold Interview Questions

3.3

Underground Mine Geologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elko, NV

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Barrick Gold in January 2013.

The whole process took a little over three months from initial phone call from HR to the first day of new hire training. After the phone interview I was scheduled for an actual face to face interview which turned out to be an entire day out at the mine for both a tour of the mine and interaction with potential co-workers. Once offered the position there was a full background check, medical physical, and drug test before I was officially given the job. Also, during the transition time between starting work and moving my family to our new home I was put up in a paid for apartment. The entire process was above and beyond all of my expectations and really started me off on the right foot.

Interview Questions
    • The formal interview questions were delivered to me by three people all at once and were very probing into my psychologically and personality while at the same time gauging my personal work ethic and past work experience. It was pretty intense but i could tell that the questions were made to make you question your own answers and really give the best responses possible.   Answer Question

GeoTech Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elko, NV

The process took 10+ monthsinterviewed at Barrick Gold in August 2011.

Not bad .. Seemed to be lack of coordination of goals between peers and manager.

The travel plans were not coordinated well. Worst, was company did not reply to thank you letter, did not acknowledge declining to offer position, or return phone calls.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Barrick Gold in April 2011.

Initial interview was landed at a convention through a recruiter. 2nd interview Barrick flew myself, and my family, out to the site. 2nd interview was much more technical.

Simple

Business Improvement Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Elko, NV

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Barrick Gold in May 2010.

After applying online, I was contacted for a phone interview. The first interview was scheduled for a Wednesday morning. The interviewer called late and said that they would have to reschedule the interview as they were in meetings (shouldn't they have known this prior to scheduling the interview in the first place?). The interview was rescheduled for a week later, this time the interviewer didn't call at all. I tried to call several times, but there was no answer. Two days later, the interviewer called back and rescheduled the interview, again. The third time, the phone interview finally went through. It consisted of questions from three people currently in the role. The questions were mostly of the generic flavor you often expect during interviews, ie "Where do you see yourself in five years?" By the end of this interview I had the impression they were quite interested in me. However, it was about a week and a half to two weeks before I heard back from them asking for an in-person interview, which was scheduled to take place in about a week and a half. The company amply covered my travel costs, which was nice. The in-person interview consisted of a tour around their facility, a 2:1 Q&A session with the people currently in the role, and then a 1:1 interview with a superior. After the in-person interview, they essentially told me they wanted to hire me. However, from the in-person interview to the actual offer, more than a month passed before they got back to me. Once they did, their offer was ABSURDLY low.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you were tasked with doing a workshop, but one of the supervisors who you helped with projects told you it was a waste of time, and he needed you to complete an improvement project for him instead?   Answer Question

They knew my current salary, and really wanted me as an employee, yet offered me an amount that would have cut my salary by more than $20k. I turned their offer down, primarily due to that, but also because of their blatant disorganization.

Regional Manager Internal Audit Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Barrick Gold in January 2010.

Hiring process includes past performance, analysis of potential future contribution and in addition to background and reference checks. In addition there were several other candidates so essentially the organization had the opportunity to make a choice from an informed and knowledgeable perspective. The negotiation process was easier once the decision was made to narrow down to 2 candidates.

Interview Questions
    • why do you think we should pay you more?   View Answer
    Nothing specific except Organization preferred to meet my expectation without any further qualifications to my original counter offer

Business Improvement Coach Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Barrick Gold.

Applied online, Recuirter Interview, Hiring Manager Interview, Site Interview, Site Visit, Offer

Interview Questions

Other candidates would really appreciate relevant details that affected your decision.

Senior Writer/Communications Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Barrick Gold.

The first two interviews were great. I had a phone interview with their internal recruiter and an in-person interview with him a couple of days later. Both went very well.

The third interview was with a director, a senior manager and a VP, and it took three months to schedule the interview. That should have been my first clue. The interview was actively hostile. The director interrupted me and cut me off while I was answering her questions, and her whole manner was abrupt and impatient. The senior manager barely said a word the entire time. The VP asked a question at the end and then snapped at me when my answer wasn't precisely what she wanted to hear. It felt as though they resented having to interview me.

I expect interviews to be challenging and demanding. I do not expect them to be actively hostile. I walked out of there having serious second thoughts about working for Barrick, great salary and benefits be damned.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected. I was just treated very rudely and dismissively when I tried to answer them.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at Barrick Gold in June 2012.

Barrick seems to me a small company with a lot of cash. well at least it use to have cash. even the standard are good and it is a responsible mining company , seems thay they couldnt keep pace with its enormous growth product of several M&A. So there is plenty of work to do to put in track at the line they wanted to be. The process was no difficult i would say standard for a mining company. the first interview was only with human resources: psicological test and personal questions, the second was with the manager and for moments it was easy and some difficult questions.

Interview Questions
    • Do you think mining companies in general , and in particular this one pollutes?   Answer Question
    I was able to negotiate as i got more offers, the initial salary was at the average but i think i was his first option, i take the risk for some extra perks: car, oil and accommodation and air tickets to home country a couple of time per year.

Project Controls Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, San Juan (Argentina)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Juan, San Juan (Argentina)

I applied through other source. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Barrick Gold in November 2011.

I passed two interviews (Human Resources and Technical) plus some intelligence and skill test. After receiving an offer I also had to pass a medical examination. After an unsatisfactory initial proposal, my counter offer was accepted.
    Recruitment area works better than the rest of Human Resources areas (no clear procedures on training, rewarding, etc.).