Bass Pro Shops Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.3

Tracker Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Bass Pro Shops (Colorado Springs, CO).

Interview

Three stage interview, one with Sales Manager, Store Manager and then the HR Manager. The Sales Manager was a simple screening, the Store manager was the hiring manager but left the salary negotiation to the HR Manager, as well as the personality test and scheduling of the drug test.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have operating boats?   1 Answer

Customer Relations Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Bass Pro Shops (Memphis, TN) in March 2015.

Interview

Attended a job fair on last day of the event to apply for a part-time position. Met with an HR rep from a different store they had brought in for the job fair.

She asked what I wanted to do in the store. I told her about my previous work experience and we discussed possible positions I would be qualified for.

She explained they had screen 4,000+ applicants the prior two days and were no longer scheduling interviews on the spot but that I would be contacted in a few weeks to schedule an interview. She stated that based on my experience they would very likely call me and that if they didn't that I should contact her because she knew she had a job for me at her location!

I received a call to interview with the department manager approximately two and a half weeks later at a local hotel (the store was still being built.)

I interviewed with the department manager. Very laid back conversation. He talked about why he liked working for the retailer and about the various positions in his department. We discussed my back ground and skills. By the end of the interview he was giving me a paper application to complete and an Orion Personality assessment,

After completing those I took them up stairs to the 'HR Hub' where the assessment was "graded". I then met with the Operations Manager who asked me about a few of my answers to the questions on the assessment, all the while explaining that there were no right or wrong answers. I later learned that they asked everyone I spoke to about the same questions.

After that brief discussion it was back to the HR hub to wait. I was given several papers to fill out such as Authorization for a background check, W-4, Availability, Internet Usage Policy, etc. I was called in to speak to the HR Manager who reviewed my paperwork as she was typing it in the system. She told me what they would be willing to pay me. I explained that it was low. She told me they were still considering starting pay and that it may be increased. She advised that I go ahead and get my drug screen done so that I would be ready for orientation if I chose to select their official offer. She scheduled my screening and told me I would be contacted in a few weeks.

The entire process on the interview day took approximately two hours. I was called back two weeks later to schedule my orientation.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

HR manager told me during the interview what they were willing to pay. I told her it was low. She explained they were still setting pay rates and recommended that I complete my paper work and drug screen incase I wanted to think about it or if their official offer after the back ground check was higher.

Their official offer was 50 cents higher than the initial rate at the interview with an evaluation and eligibility for a pay raise at 90 days.

Media Marketing Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Bass Pro Shops (Springfield, MO) in March 2015.

Interview

Someone from the HR department called and left a voicemail following an application submitted through LinkedIn. After returning their phone call, we set up a time the following week for a phone interview. During the phone interview, she reviewed all of the available marketing department positions then we discussed my educational and professional background. After trying to find a fit with my educational and professional experience to their available positions, we discussed my current salary requirements to the available positions. Unfortunately, there wasn't a fit based on certain requirements. She agreed to keep my resume on file, and I agreed to continue looking for future positions periodically. She suggested checking back with her if I wanted any information on any future positions.

Interview Questions

• Why are you looking to leave your current position? Do you have media buying experience? What was your ideal job when you graduated? Tell me about your previous job.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bass Pro Shops (Orlando, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was standard. The hiring managers seemed very positive. During the interview, I was asked a series of questions on how my skill set would benefit the company. At the end of the interview, they asked how much my current rate is and if I had any questions for them.

Hunting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bass Pro Shops.

Interview

You go through mass hire for grand opening then a tier level of different interviews before the job offer.You interview with a quick session if you get that you go back and schedule a second interview, if you get that then you schedule a department manager interview then, on wit either ops or merch and finally the GM.

Interview Questions

• None its pretty straight forward just make sure to smile and be friendly.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offer and you accept.

Hunting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Bass Pro Shops.

Interview

The interview process seems very tricky. Most of the questions asked during the interview have absolutely nothing to do with the position but much to do with the individual being interviewed. You may be told that you will have a second interview however, not a single person who got hired had a second interview that I know of. If you make it to the first interview you will probably get the job.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question is about a time in which you have failed at leadership. No matter which level of employment you seek in the company you will encounter this question. Truthfully, I don't think it matters what you say to this question.   Answer Question

Camping Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Bass Pro Shops in September 2014.

Interview

I applied online for cashier even though it wasn't the position I really wanted. I received a call just a few days after for an interview. I met with the HR and she was a super nice lady. She pulled up my hobbies and experience as a traveler/camper and assumed that I wanted to work in the camping department(which I did). I found that very nice of the company that let me choose which department I wanted to work at.. She asked a couple of questions about my camping experience such as where have I camped, how many times a year, and tent or rv camping? ANSWER HONESTLY AND DONT LIE! Basic questions followed such as, why bass pro, and what would your friends say your worst feature is.. I received another call for a second interview 2 days later.. I was supposed to meet with the camping manager but the fishing manager interviewed me along with his partner. They asked me a serious of questions which took about 45 minutes. they just wanted to get to know me better and just be prepared for anything they might ask! Study guys! And I promise you will get the job. They said they would call me back if anything and I left really confident.. I received another call 2 days later to discuss the offer. they offered me less than what I asked for but with a pay increase in writing after 90 days. I accepted the offer and did a questionnaire on the spot..

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not negotiable.. Take it or leave it offer. They kind of low balled me at 9.00 and I asked for at least 9.50 to not push it... They still offered a pay increase in writing after probation period (90) days. Try to start off with the most you can because those raises are who knows... Maybe 10 or 20 cents.. Not worth your trouble guys so hustle!! It is your valuable time and you will work hard for it!

Fishing Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Bass Pro Shops (Tacoma, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

Apply online, then you have to email store manager, then CALL. PUSH for an interview. Kiss butt for an interview. Offer to sweep floors clean toilets and pay them to work at BPS. Interviews are by department managers. Love the outdoors! Be honest and tell them you don't know everything but that you love being in the outdoors more than anything. That you want to be like Keven Van Damm and that Bass Pro Shop catalogs are your Christmas wish list.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult question, but not unexpected is "Why do you want to work for Bass Pro Shops?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered basically minimum wage but I accepted because I love fishing, hunting and the outdoors because I wanted to get in to the industry and Bass Pro Shops is still a growing company. There are opportunities if you PUSH for it.

Maintenance Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Bass Pro Shops (Macon, GA) in August 2014.

Interview

Process was easy, however I was lied to at the beginning. I was told I would receive 40 hours a week and that this position would lead to a permanent position. That never happened, I would not suggest this place to others.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Simple

Hunting Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Bass Pro Shops in August 2014.

Interview

All in all the process was pretty easy. It took a little over an hour with a one on one interview with the manager. I was asked the basic questions of why you want to work here, what is your strength/weakness, what was did you like/not like about your last boss.

I was then given a personality test with 90 questions with the answers being 1(disagree) - 10 (agree). I was asked about products I use, what do I hunt/fish, where have I, etc. Do not lie, they will ask you questions that are specific to the equipment you are using, and then ask to explain. If you do not knowledgeable on hunting equipment, just be honest.

Tip: Dress for a professional interview. No jeans, boots or t-shirts. I wore khakis with a button up and loafers, and it was appreciated and mentioned. There were quite a few other applications on the desk for the same position but I was offered the job before I left. First impressions are everything.

All said and done it was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations, but I was offered above what I expected with a pay increase in writing after 90 days.